Photo

My thoughts on GTAV versus GTA IV and San Andreas

68 replies to this topic
DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:53 AM

Come on guys, we're all GTA fans here. Can't we all just sit down, grab a nice cup of coffee, look each other in the eye... and discuss how sh*tty Gone Home was?

• The Odyssey likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:54 AM Edited by AceKingston, 16 January 2014 - 03:56 AM.

You can't give a game 10/10 if you said it has flaws, that makes no sense... I could make a long comment about all the bad things in GTA V, but I've done that before. A laughable part is how you said the handling has "improved", no doubt you're a "casual gamer" who can't spend more than 5 minutes doing something without quitting, why is learning how to get used to vehicles a bad thing? Vehicles are glued to the ground in GTA V, and if they're not, they explode when they hit the ground. The handling is awful, and isn't realistic one bit, vehicles don't even have any suspension... If you think helicopters in GTA IV are "impossible" to handle, then how come GTA V's "fake turbulence every 5 seconds" system is better?

Also, it's Niko, not Nico... You can't compare a game if you haven't played it enough to know the main character's name...

I understand arguing against his points, but can you do it in a way that doesn't make you look like a dick? "Blah Blah Blah, I don't like the handling so YOU'RE wrong!"

Did I once ever say that my opinions were facts? No, but it is a fact that the handling in GTA IV is more realistic than GTA V's, there's no denying that, but what he said was that GTA V improved vehicles in every way, which isn't true, I don't mind if he enjoys it more, but in no way was it an "improvement".

Look, I hate to say it mate but you're clearly acting like a GTA IV fanboy. IV is a great game and all but everytime someone praises V you come in and start comparing V with IV all the time and you take your opinion as a 'fact'. I'm not saying it's wrong to criticize to V but I'm not saying it's right to act like a GTA IV fanboy either.

The key word here is "acting", you say I'm simply "acting" like one, but that's your view, so you need to stop trying to make it out as if though your views apply to others. I never take my opinions as facts, but here on the Internet, others like to think their opinions are facts, so you need some work on identifying those kinds of users. It is funny though, you try to push your views as facts, but tell others to stop acting like what they say are facts. How hypocritical...

That's not an opinion, that's a fact, mate. It's obvious. Your posts justify that, you are a GTA IV Fanboy. Everytime someone praises V all you do is come in and complain and start comparing it with IV. Whenever someone criticizes IV you start to go overboard. Your response to me pretty much justifies my statement.

I know many GTA IV lovers like SonOfLiberty who criticize and praise V in a way and bring up constructive criticism but you don't which is wrong.

• iainspad likes this

Cicero The Great
  • Cicero The Great

Only We can use majestic plural, deal with it

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:58 AM

In my small opinion, I think that GTA V is one of the only games I have been anticipating that actually lived up to my hype. And I am not an easy person to please. All the things people think are "Missing" I think are completely superfluous and wouldn't be missed at all if other entries in the series had them.

After Red Dead Redemption, I thought all the open world games that came before and after it felt small and insignificant. After GTA V, it made RDR feel small and insignificant. It is how I see it.
I think GTA V is so good that it actually made other GTA games in the HD era feel like lesser games. After playing it and going back to IV, everything felt wrong. The graphics looked more dated then they looked before i played V. The driving felt loaty and slow. And the shooting just felt totally broken. The transition was very jarring.

We felt almost the opposite instead, rdr (except the ''after-ending'') was superior in almost every aspect

For graphics, well, consider every game for his launch date and you'll realize that every GTA title is always obsolete for its time

And graphics are only a marginal aspect, especially if a game totally lacks the ''vibe'' of the environment in which takes place

Add to that the lack of interaction and interiors, a bland story and a superficial approach and you' ll probably realize that GTA V is an overrated game, not certainly a ""10/10""

Neither IV was a perfect game, but at least it was more genuine and deeper
  • Miamivicecity likes this

Fluttershy Pony
  • Fluttershy Pony

Change my stupid name.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:21 AM

You can't give a game 10/10 if you said it has flaws, that makes no sense... I could make a long comment about all the bad things in GTA V, but I've done that before. A laughable part is how you said the handling has "improved", no doubt you're a "casual gamer" who can't spend more than 5 minutes doing something without quitting, why is learning how to get used to vehicles a bad thing? Vehicles are glued to the ground in GTA V, and if they're not, they explode when they hit the ground. The handling is awful, and isn't realistic one bit, vehicles don't even have any suspension... If you think helicopters in GTA IV are "impossible" to handle, then how come GTA V's "fake turbulence every 5 seconds" system is better?

Also, it's Niko, not Nico... You can't compare a game if you haven't played it enough to know the main character's name...

I understand arguing against his points, but can you do it in a way that doesn't make you look like a dick? "Blah Blah Blah, I don't like the handling so YOU'RE wrong!"

Did I once ever say that my opinions were facts? No, but it is a fact that the handling in GTA IV is more realistic than GTA V's, there's no denying that, but what he said was that GTA V improved vehicles in every way, which isn't true, I don't mind if he enjoys it more, but in no way was it an "improvement".

Look, I hate to say it mate but you're clearly acting like a GTA IV fanboy. IV is a great game and all but everytime someone praises V you come in and start comparing V with IV all the time and you take your opinion as a 'fact'. I'm not saying it's wrong to criticize to V but I'm not saying it's right to act like a GTA IV fanboy either.

The key word here is "acting", you say I'm simply "acting" like one, but that's your view, so you need to stop trying to make it out as if though your views apply to others. I never take my opinions as facts, but here on the Internet, others like to think their opinions are facts, so you need some work on identifying those kinds of users. It is funny though, you try to push your views as facts, but tell others to stop acting like what they say are facts. How hypocritical...

That's not an opinion, that's a fact, mate. It's obvious. Your posts justify that, you are a GTA IV Fanboy. Everytime someone praises V all you do is come in and complain and start comparing it with IV. Whenever someone criticizes IV you start to go overboard. Your response to me pretty much justifies my statement.

I know many GTA IV lovers like SonOfLiberty who criticize and praise V in a way and bring up constructive criticism but you don't which is wrong.

Yep, making stuff up once again, I never defend IV when it gets criticism, because I know it wasn't perfect. But, I know you're always right, you're like that other user, anything you don't agree with is automatically wrong, and the user is just a fan for whatever game they like. These forums are full of sad, pitiful members of society. No need to give me factual evidence or explain how I'm wrong, because "I'm right, you're wrong" works the same here.

Also, don't call me your "mate", if you read more than one of my posts, you will see that I give constructive criticism, oh but wait, whatever I say is wrong, you're always right. How pathetic...

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:24 AM Edited by Charles Phipps, 16 January 2014 - 04:25 AM.

I think it's possible to like GTAIV and GTAV both.

They're both incredible games.

I also applaud Rockstar for making them very different. I just think GTAIV did some stuff better and V the same.

At the risk of dregging up an old argument, I think the female characters in previous game were also better than the ones in GTAV too.

I wish Karen had a bigger role as an antagonist too.

• Dr. Ray De Angelo Harris likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:36 AM Edited by AceKingston, 16 January 2014 - 01:05 PM.

Yep, making stuff up once again, I never defend IV when it gets criticism, because I know it wasn't perfect. But, I know you're always right, you're like that other user, anything you don't agree with is automatically wrong, and the user is just a fan for whatever game they like. These forums are full of sad, pitiful members of society. No need to give me factual evidence or explain how I'm wrong, because "I'm right, you're wrong" works the same here.

Actually, no. I really would not call this constructive criticism:

And here's another one:

Handling is entirely subjective. Some prefer easier handling, some prefer IV's handling. There's no need to get so annoyed over someone else's opinion.

And every game has it's flaws even GTA IV. I'd rate GTA IV a 10/10 myself, but that does not mean it's perfect.

• Miamivicecity likes this

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

So, on your end, guys, what would you have brought from previous games to GTA5?

And vice versa?

Osho
  • Osho

The Jackal

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

Starting from VC, I pick Tommy Vercetti first, either him or a badass like him.

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

I can't really imagine Tommy having much more of a story to do. He's Scarface with a happy ending after all.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:39 AM

States his opinion, and that makes him a casual gamer?

>Bert logic<

• DeafMetal and Bonnano like this

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:42 AM Edited by Charles Phipps, 17 January 2014 - 04:42 AM.

Another area where San Andreas and Vice City (but not GTAIV) was good at doing was their willingness to go way-way over the top. I'll explain what I mean with the Epsilon and Border Patrol parodies. Rockstar taking pot shots at Scientology and the Minutemen is something I heartily approve of. Say what you will about illegal immigration but the Minutemen lasted about three months in RL before swaths of Neo-Nazis and KKK members came down to join the group or form their own chapters. As for Scientology, well, I'll get to that.

What's my problem with the Epsilon and Border Patrol missions? The parodies didn't go NEARLY far enough.

In previous games, both mission trees would have ended in a MASSIVE shoot-out with hundreds of dead bodies. The satire would have included the Epsilon guys eating people (and perhaps being the Altruists) or something sufficiently CRAZY. Instead, this is the sad sad part, the Epsilon parody is more or less completely true to life.

We only get to rob them. We also only get to kill two obnoxious border patrol guys (and after helping them too). I was all set for big-ass massacres of both? Did they happen? Not a bit.

For a game with giving two major characters super-human killing powers, they weren't nearly as action-ey as Niko's adventures.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

It's amazing that when I pointed out, with evidence to Fluttershy Pony, that he was acting like a GTA IV fanboy, he disappears from the thread, yet he continues his behavior in other threads.  Just proving my point even more.

Dude, if you want to criticize the game, that's fine. But everytime someone praises V I always see you bashing them and praising IV. What's so hard to say 'Good review but I still prefer GTA IV' and move on? No need to get so annoyed over someone else's opinion.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:49 AM Edited by Official General, 17 January 2014 - 10:51 AM.

And vice versa?

* Much more interiors for a start

* Buying safehouse properties

* More side missions and activities to do with crime and less focus on outdoor/leisure stuff ( did I say yoga ? ). 

* Gambling

* Main story revolving more around organized crime, drug cartels, and gangs - not federal agents and private security outfits. 

* Longer main story.

* Multiple cities

* Much better antagonists.

* No protagonist like Trevor. 

Vice versa ? GTA IV would have been much better if you could rob stores, and there were a lot of random events in the streets like there was in GTA V. 

• Charles Phipps likes this

Osho
  • Osho

The Jackal

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

I can't really imagine Tommy having much more of a story to do. He's Scarface with a happy ending after all.

Next - Arena missions esp. demolition-derby style to get to all the checkpoints before the time goes away was really fun.

tbc ..

Fluttershy Pony
  • Fluttershy Pony

Change my stupid name.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

It's amazing that when I pointed out, with evidence to Fluttershy Pony, that he was acting like a GTA IV fanboy, he disappears from the thread, yet he continues his behavior in other threads.  Just proving my point even more.

Dude, if you want to criticize the game, that's fine. But everytime someone praises V I always see you bashing them and praising IV. What's so hard to say 'Good review but I still prefer GTA IV' and move on? No need to get so annoyed over someone else's opinion.

You know why I don't bother replying? Because it's the exact same "I'm right, you're wrong" rubbish from you, so I'm just going to ignore you, you're so uptight and get angry over the smallest things.

Bye-bye.

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:42 PM Edited by dyz, 17 January 2014 - 12:42 PM.

And vice versa?

* More side missions and activities to do with crime and less focus on outdoor/leisure stuff ( did I say yoga ? ). 

* Gambling

* Main story revolving more around organized crime, drug cartels, and gangs - not federal agents and private security outfits. 

* Longer main story.

* Multiple cities

Vice versa ? GTA IV would have been much better if you could rob stores, and there were a lot of random events in the streets like there was in GTA V. 

Trevor is the best all of the GTA protagonists should be like trevor if not similar to him. he is what a GTA protagonist should be! In my opinion Trevor is the best character for a GTA game, it has GTA written all over him!      

• Lowi likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:44 PM Edited by Official General, 17 January 2014 - 02:45 PM.

And vice versa?

* Gambling

* Longer main story.

* Multiple cities

Trevor is the best all of the GTA protagonists should be like trevor if not similar to him. he is what a GTA protagonist should be! In my opinion Trevor is the best character for a GTA game, it has GTA written all over him!      

@ dyz

Nope, sorry, I disagree. I think Trevor is the worst GTA protagonist ever, he is everything I don't want in a GTA protaginist. 

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:52 PM Edited by AceKingston, 17 January 2014 - 02:53 PM.

You know why I don't bother replying? Because it's the exact same "I'm right, you're wrong" rubbish from you, so I'm just going to ignore you, you're so uptight and get angry over the smallest things.

Bye-bye.

I am actually being quite polite to you and I am merely requesting you not to get annoyed by other people's opinions. Yet, you start insulting me for no reason at all and say that you'll ignore me from now on which just proves my point even more.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:30 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 17 January 2014 - 03:30 PM.

@Official General: So what do you want? A protagonist who is lame and unentertaining like Niko? Someone who has "feelings"? This is a video game. Plus we've never had a character like him, all psychotic, crazy and funny.

Osho
  • Osho

The Jackal

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

We did. Remember Tommy Vercetti? Good thing about him is that he is sane and smart than mentally retarded confused piece of sh*t like Trevor.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:48 PM Edited by Official General, 17 January 2014 - 03:50 PM.

@Official General: So what do you want? A protagonist who is lame and unentertaining like Niko? Someone who has "feelings"? This is a video game. Plus we've never had a character like him, all psychotic, crazy and funny.

You say Trevor is " psychotic, crazy and funny " - everyone bloody says that, and to me it's nothing special or outstanding. All that alone is not what impresses me about a protagonist. I don't really care about crazy stuff, I can do that whenever I want in free roam. I like a GTA protagonist to be very ambitious, ruthless, cold-blooded, but with his head screwed on, some morals and some humility at the same time. Not one whose only preoccupation is to do crazy and destructive stuff.

And not one who's scruffy, dirty, cross-dressing, and sexually deviant either. 

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:29 PM Edited by Charles Phipps, 17 January 2014 - 04:29 PM.

We did. Remember Tommy Vercetti? Good thing about him is that he is sane and smart than mentally retarded confused piece of sh*t like Trevor.

I like the variety in Grand Theft Auto V. Tommy Vercetti is a psychopath and an intelligent suave individual. However, as my avatar shows, he's one of a kind.

Trevor as the meth-addicted Canadian hillbilly is a contrast to Michael the suave criminal and Franklin the consummate professional.

And vice versa?

* Gambling

* Longer main story.

* Multiple cities

Eh, I am a fan of Guy Richie films and one thing GR does well is that he manages to make each of his movies distinct. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels is about "bottom of the barrel" criminals. Snatch is about middle-of-the-road criminals. Rock'n'Rolla is about high end criminals like Michael, Trevor, and Franklin. I don't mind these extremely rich millionaire bank robbers are brought into the FIB and IAA's pissing match with Not-Blackwater.

The problem is that it was done in such a crappy manner. I really like the fact the game shows Franklin considers gangbanging utterly small time and not worth the effort.

Martin Madroza being easily taken out by our heroes also amused me.

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

You say Trevor is " psychotic, crazy and funny " - everyone bloody says that, and to me it's nothing special or outstanding. All that alone is not what impresses me about a protagonist. I don't really care about crazy stuff, I can do that whenever I want in free roam. I like a GTA protagonist to be very ambitious, ruthless, cold-blooded, but with his head screwed on, some morals and some humility at the same time. Not one whose only preoccupation is to do crazy and destructive stuff.

And not one who's scruffy, dirty, cross-dressing, and sexually deviant either. 

For me, the appeal of Trevor is his unpredictability because he's a unsympathetic monster who still has his own severe train of logic. Michael is a decent man, sort of, who I enjoyed playing as the guy who returns the money when he stops muggings. Franklin is the guy who rescues some people and steals from others. Trevor, though, is the guy who could help someone one day and then kill everyone the next.

He's an ugly character, genuinely evil, but fascinating to watch. He's an unglamorous crook who eats out of garbage bins. I think that's MEMORABLE and we have other crooks to look at if we're not into that.

I'd hate playing Trevor alone but as part of an ensemble, he's great.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:35 PM Edited by Official General, 17 January 2014 - 04:42 PM.

@ Charles Phipps

The problem is that it was done in such a crappy manner. I really like the fact the game shows Franklin considers gangbanging utterly small time and not worth the effort.

That's one of the problems with GTA V's story right there. Yeah Franklin considers gangbangin' small time and not worth it, well why did Rockstar not show this in the story ? They could have included a very interesting part to the story that would have charted Franklin's progression from being an active gangbanger to the the point of him coming to realization that there is bigger and better criminal moves to be made out there. More could have been added to show Franklin's struggle to advance and to avoid getting dragged back into the gang life by his gangbanger pals like Lamar, but maintaining their loyalty and friendship at the same time. Rockstar could have done Franklin's story much better, there was a plethora of opportunities. 

Trevor was not unpredictable at all. He was crazy from the start, he was always gonna do something extremely violent and be stupid with it, hence why all that sh*t never impressed me. Trevor as an important NPC or antagonist ? Brilliant. Protagonist ? I'm not really interested. 

• Charles Phipps likes this

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:43 PM Edited by Charles Phipps, 17 January 2014 - 04:45 PM.

@ Charles Phipps

That's one of the problems with GTA V's story right there. Yeah Franklin considers gangbangin' small time and not worth it, well why did Rockstar not show this in the story ? They could have included a very interesting part to the story that would have charted Franklin's progression from being an active gangbanger to the the point of him coming to realization that there is bigger and better criminal moves to be made out there. More could have been added to show Franklin's struggle to advance and to avoid getting dragged back into the gang life by his gangbanger pals like Lamar, but maintaining their loyalty and friendship at the same time. Rockstar could have done Franklin's story much better, there was a plethora of opportunities.

I admit, the story felt like it skipped a few steps. I think Franklin and Lamar starting with the failed drug-deal might have been more interesting. Then we could have Franklin and Lamar try to go "legit" but fail with Simeon. I do admit, I think a lot of the problem is people went to Franklin looking for CJ when Rockstar made Franklin very directly the ANTI-CJ.

Franklin's talk with Stretch is basically saying everything I wanted to have CJ say to Sweet.

"I'm a millionaire casino owner and rap star manager who got you out of prison with the help of the CIA. What kind of moron are you worried still about the hood? The hood, I remind you, which joined Big Smoke!?"

There's a good story with Franklin about how the gangs (headed by people like Stretch) use black men like Franklin and Lamar as canon fodder but it got lost in the mix.

Trevor was not unpredictable at all. He was crazy from the start, he was always gonna do something extremely violent and be stupid with it. Trevor as an important NPC or antagonist ? Brilliant. Protagonist ? I'm not really interested.

I liked it when Trevor just randomly seemed to become a canny criminal like with the Merryweather Heist. It made me think 90% of his problems and psychosis is due to meth rather than his personality.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:06 PM Edited by PkUnzipper, 17 January 2014 - 05:09 PM.

Doing otherwise would skew the statistics. Max Payne 3, for instance, is a game I perceive as having no flaws but I can't say it's a better buy than Skyrim

That's because it's not :lol:

I think the game might have been better if they'd just stuck to Los Santos and created more buildings you could go into and interact with. As much as I love the "California meets Appallachian mountains" (spoken as a Kentucky born and raised who knows RL guys like Floyd and Wade) I've got to say there's no reason they couldn't have done shaved that stuff off.

It would have improved the game considerably, in my mind.

Not sure if they could have tightened the story up but Franklin's story goes nowhere.

Agreed.  But IMO here's what I'd been expecting the moment I saw those over hyped previews of V.

GTA III SA superior interactive sandbox made over with GTA V's realistic/superior graphics & 3 protags + GTA IV car dynamics = perfect GTA GOTY.

But that didn't happen. :/

Hence my complete disillusionment with R* over what SP could have been: an amazing--but lost--opportunity to make GTA the best video game franchise of all time.  Especially because of all the time and resources R* put into developing and designing GTA V.  And for all my ongoing butt hurt of what GTAO will likely never be---thanks to the hackers & cheaters still infesting multi player to date.  :facedesk:

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

I agree on some things but I disagree about the country. Gritty and rundown Sandy Shore is the perfect contrast to glitzy and pretty Los Santos. I love driving around there in a Bf Injection. If it were just city people would have complained like they did with IV.

• iainspad likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:08 AM Edited by Official General, 18 January 2014 - 02:32 AM.

If it were just city people would have complained like they did with IV.

You keep on saying this, but you also gotta remember the same people that complain about one thing are not always exactly the same people who complain about another thing.You cannot just lump everybody together like that, as tempting as the situation prompts you to. Really bro, this is something you need to understand. 

• Charles Phipps and Ermacs like this

Charles Phipps
  • Charles Phipps

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:18 AM

You keep on saying this, but you also gotta remember the same people that complain about one thing are not always exactly the same people who complain about another thing.You cannot just lump everybody together like that, as tempting as the situation looks. 

Yeah, I wasn't dying for the wide country air when playing "immigrant in New York."

• Official General likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:36 AM Edited by Official General, 18 January 2014 - 02:37 AM.

You keep on saying this, but you also gotta remember the same people that complain about one thing are not always exactly the same people who complain about another thing.You cannot just lump everybody together like that, as tempting as the situation looks. 

Yeah, I wasn't dying for the wide country air when playing "immigrant in New York."

@ Charles Phipps

Me too. I did not care for countryside in GTA IV, because the game's setting was based on the New York City and very nearby New Jersey metro area, there is no proper countryside around there in real life. It made no sense to have open countryside in IV for those reasons, Rockstar even clarified this themselves in an interview. So if there are people like me and you saying this, it just strongly indicates that woggleman's claims are very inaccurate and distorted. I've said this to hime before, but he still insists on saying the same way-off sh*t. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users