Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why was GTA V So Dissapointing

177 replies to this topic

Poll: Thoughts on GTA V (265 member(s) have cast votes)

Why was GTA V so disappointing?

1. I thought it was going to be Game of the Millennium (24 votes [9.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.06%

2. Trevor killing [SPOILER] (1 votes [0.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.38%

3. GTA San Andreas is KING! (8 votes [3.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.02%

4. GTA Online (20 votes [7.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.55%

5. The Story SUCKS (26 votes [9.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.81%

6. Not enough side content (18 votes [6.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.79%

7. V was pretty good (74 votes [27.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.92%

8. What are you talking about, V is the best game EVER (75 votes [28.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.30%

9. Other (19 votes [7.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote
vengenceniko
  • vengenceniko

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

1. The game is slightly dumbed down. Poor vehicle physics (vehicle damage system not sensitive enough, vehicles fly like if they were made out of solid paper), missions are to scripted

tbh I think the main reason the physics are a little dumbed down is because of people complaining that GTA IV driving was "no fun". So the devs were doing fan service.

And about missions being too scripted, when have they ever had more freedom? I remember in San Andreas a chase mission where I HAD to use the scripted vehicle, or there was one where I would HAD to win the race (I wanted to just kill all competitors). In fact GTA V missions allow more freedom because of the heists having multiple approaches. 

gn1992
  • gn1992

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

Why is this thread even here? At least half of this board is just complaining about how GTAV isn't GTAIV 2.0, or SA 2.0, do we really need to INVITE more whining?

I suggested the "Official Complaining Thread" 3 months ago but nobody listened to me

at least I think we can all agree that the cash cards f*cked things up pretty bad

all the problems = cash cards

and don't ask me why, because that's my opinion and i am right

Bullsh*t, because cash cards aren't exactly a problem here and they aren't responsible for numerous glitches and exploits. Sure, they're giving R* more money but it's not a necessity. I can make $60–$100K in 2 hours on GTAO by doing various things, it's simple.

but the hackers giving billions are a response to the microtransactions (and all the nerfs)

No, that's them switching blame instead of their selfish and lazy reasoning.

ok then

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:18 AM

@ woggleman

Yep, also be on the lookout for 'GTAVI handling sux, I miss V's' and 'Why only one protag?' complaints.

There's no end to people complaining about being given exactly what they asked for. Plus apparently it's cool to complain about stuff these days...I guess they think it makes them look like they got taste...

Damn Bro,Great One.I see millions of People complaining if GTA 6 goes back to the One-Man-Do Everything System AKA 1 Protagonist Traditional Singleplayer.I definitely would be pissed cus the 3 Protags Element is a new thing in the Series and Genre and with Next-Gen there is alot of Possibilities.But sure it the fault of the Whiners and Cry Babies.

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

"Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?"

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

If you don't like gta v, why are you here all the time?
  • gn1992 and iainspad like this

vengenceniko
  • vengenceniko

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:25 AM

I do like GTA V. I just want to know why others hate it (hence the poll).

In my first post I thought the main reason was hype. And also the Nostalgia-goggle cycle (the new game being hated while the older ones are treated like gods.)

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

Oh God for a Legendary Franchise that have existed for 16 years spanning 3 Generations,with 15 games selling over 150ml copies and the #5 best-selling Franchise of All-Time and also the "Most Success Game Franchise of All Time" and again the Dominant Franchise in the Openworld Genre,The Fans are so Critique tbh GTA have the Largest Fanbase of any game but most of the fans are never ever Satisfied.It either GTA 6 or a Complete Overhaul of the Franchise,Mortal Kombat did it and it started the same time period as GTA in the early to late 90s.instead of GTA 6 or a Spin-off,we are like to see GTA (2017) if these doesnt stop.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:32 AM Edited by saintsrow, 15 January 2014 - 12:33 AM.

First of all, I love the GTAV virtual world design.  It is an unqualified, absolute masterpiece.  :^:  :^:  And I like some of the intrinsic game elements like the car and NPC designs.  :^:

BUT ...

I was one of the few who voted "I thought it was going to be Game of the Millennium".  Ever since mid 2012 I have blamed Rockstar marketing (or lack of marketing and lack of marketing competence) for first setting high expectations and then letting millions of fans' imaginations run unchecked, open loop, for more than a year.  :angry:

This was followed by cinematically produced trailers that were full of cutscene action that was not representative of gameplay.  They could not even avoid misleading cutscene action in the "gameplay" video.  There was much more continuity and content and complexity implied in those trailers, than we saw in the actual game. 

Then I found out that the marketing budget for GTAV was $150M, which was 30% LARGER THAN the game design budget!!!   WTF?!??!?!  It cost them $150M to mislead us all?  Most of that money should have been spent in additional game content design.  :angry:

So, while Aaron Garbut's design team did succeed in producing the virtual world design of the millennium, other Rockstar marketing and management decisions tarnished this masterpiece.  :/

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

@ woggleman
Yep, also be on the lookout for 'GTAVI handling sux, I miss V's' and 'Why only one protag?' complaints.
There's no end to people complaining about being given exactly what they asked for. Plus apparently it's cool to complain about stuff these days...I guess they think it makes them look like they got taste...

Damn Bro,Great One.I see millions of People complaining if GTA 6 goes back to the One-Man-Do Everything System AKA 1 Protagonist Traditional Singleplayer.I definitely would be pissed cus the 3 Protags Element is a new thing in the Series and Genre and with Next-Gen there is alot of Possibilities.But sure it the fault of the Whiners and Cry Babies.

Thanks.

When the next game comes through (buy Take 2 stock when it's announced :cool: ) there will probably be only one protag. I'm sure it'll be cool anyway because R* know what they are doing, I sure as sh*t have no clue how to design a game as big as GTA.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

@saintsrow
GTA 5 is actually the Most Expensive Game Ever Made.and Point of Correction bro,they didnt mislead us,most of the fans just had ridiculous high Expectation.and again the Game sold 30ml copies and not just the fans that bought the game but many gamers worldwide accounts for that amount including CoD Fans,Saints Row Fans etc.

@ woggleman

Thanks.

When the next game comes through (buy Take 2 stock when it's announced :cool: ) there will probably be only one protag. I'm sure it'll be cool anyway because R* know what they are doing, I sure as sh*t have no clue how to design a game as big as GTA.

Exactly.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:49 AM Edited by Official General, 15 January 2014 - 01:04 AM.

@ woggleman

I certainly don't fall into that category. If I complained about anything, it was because I genuinely felt the need to do so. I was very much hoping for GTA V to be the GTAs of all GTAs, believe me, I wish I had no complaints at all. I could not give a f*ck about looking cool or looking like I got taste - I just wanted the game to fully meet my expectations, and that's the truth. 

And like I said, if VI is worse than V and makes no improvement on it, then there will be more complaints of a similar nature. If that happens, there nothing really to look out for, it's something to be naturally expected. 

Ixnay
  • Ixnay

bizarro starter kit

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

I think fans are the best people to get complaints/input from. I wouldn't ask my barber if my mechanic was correctly analyzing my car problems...

Personally, I just found V to be sort of lackluster. I'm not saying it's not good, it's just not what I was expecting from R* at this point. I could point out specifics (I dislike the extreme changes to vehicle physics; the cops are annoying; I miss phone calls - some would have been nice; I would have been happy with one highly-developed protagonist, et al), but when it comes down to it, all these things just result in it not pulling me in the way IV did.

I'm one of those crazy people who realizes that everyone has their own opinions, haha, and people can argue until they get carpal tunnel syndrome on here, but I doubt any amount of poo-flinging is going to change anyone's opinion, because when you get down to it, it's all subjective.

• TheOtherRyan and Official General like this

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

I do like GTA V. I just want to know why others hate it (hence the poll).
In my first post I thought the main reason was hype. And also the Nostalgia-goggle cycle (the new game being hated while the older ones are treated like gods.)
My post wasn't about you but the most of the forum in general who say they hate this game but still post on GTAF and play the game almost everyday. I agree 100% with your post that people need to move on from the past.

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

The game is pretty good. All that's annoying is all the bugs and exploits.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:31 AM Edited by cp1dell, 15 January 2014 - 01:32 AM.

GTAV is the best videogame I've ever played, no contest.

I think the disappointment comes with unrealistic expectations, plain and simple. If you build anything up in your head, reality will always bitch slap you back to planet earth.

I have my complaints with the game, but I'm still playing it almost every single day.

Exactly this.

Go to any other forum and people love this game.

Come here - where we had people dissecting the trailers and screenshots, constantly posting rumors, and speculating about ridiculous things - and almost everyone here hates it.

I loved it. I thought it was great. It has its issues, and I can't wait for the PC version to be released so my gripes can be fixed with mods. No game is perfect, and it's your fault if you expected it to be. Chances are some retard is going to quote my "no game is perfect" statement, claim some game is, and simultaneously rip on V. Because that's how insane people on this site are.

• SmoothGetaway, Geralt of Rivia, Dbns_Finest and 1 other like this

redkill160
  • redkill160

DM King

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:39 AM

I honestly hate the majority of people on the GTA forums.  They are all butthurt, over-hyped pricks.  They think it's disappointing because they expected R* to include every single aspect from SA, VC, and IV in the game, and make it better than any other game in history.  It's like, how can you be happy with a game if you expect it to reach these kinds of expectations.  R* can't please everybody, and they cant put everything you want in the game, so accept it for what it is.  If you put all your ridiculously high expectations aside, the game is actually arguably one the best of this generation, if you ignore the whole hacking part of GTA Online, which isn't R* fault, even though most seem to blame it on them immediately.  Yes, GTA 5 had flaws, but so did every other game.  No game will ever be perfect, so stop talking about all these godly things that GTA 5 should have had, and enjoy what is put into the game, and what will soon be put into it.  ~Rant over~

• Rock Howard, Officer Ronson, Staten and 1 other like this

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:51 AM

I don't think, overall, that GTA V is all that disappointing but it obviously, like any game, has its flaws; but I wouldn't say that these flaws make the game disappointing overall. The only exception to this would be content that was 'cut' (from GTA IV, for example) and not included in the final product, but even still there is quite a lot of stuff to do in the game when not on a mission.

Oh yeah and GTA: Online isn't all that it was cracked up to be either.

• iainspad likes this

Dafuqin Ducklin
  • Dafuqin Ducklin

Just Bored

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:56 AM

If I could post a pic of a baby crying I would, seriously take the game for what it is. If you do NOT like it, find another game and f*ck off. Im sick of people talking bout why they do not like the game and how the older ones are better. If they other one is so much better then play it. Yes, I posted some thing about adding new content to this game but not once did I say that other games are better or this one sucks. Bring the hate. Cause I know someone going to say something cause they feel "attacked" if you will.

• SmoothGetaway likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

If I could post a pic of a baby crying I would, seriously take the game for what it is. If you do NOT like it, find another game and f*ck off. Im sick of people talking bout why they do not like the game and how the older ones are better. If they other one is so much better then play it. Yes, I posted some thing about adding new content to this game but not once did I say that other games are better or this one sucks. Bring the hate. Cause I know someone going to say something cause they feel "attacked" if you will.

Lets close down these forums then. No need to discuss our different views with each other regarding GTA. Hopefully that will make you happier.

iainspad
  • iainspad

Souled Out to The New World Order

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:03 AM Edited by iainspad, 15 January 2014 - 02:05 AM.

Here's how I see it:

Regardless of what you think, yet you played hours and hours, even days of it, we're going to talk about how good this game was in a few years. If a game or any entertainment media can be talked about, in nostalgia and replaying or just in fun in years time and is remembered, then I think it's done its job. It worked for San Andreas, and it certainly happened to IV, so I think the same will happen with V.

I know I'll remember it as one of my favourite games ever.

• Gold-NBayse likes this

JC'
  • JC'

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

GTA V was not disappointing.

Pleasing fans by releasing online early was disappointing. Online and single player are not the same thing just on the same disc.The good thing about online is that you can easily keep growing and improving the experience only hard task is to prevent hacks and exploits and fix issues with the "economy" while trying to add fin stuff at the same time, so yea..

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

This game is boring for boring people.  I can literally just drive around the hood in my cavalcade with no problem.

• Dbns_Finest and MarabuntaGrande like this

vengenceniko
  • vengenceniko

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:16 AM

@ woggleman

I certainly don't fall into that category. If I complained about anything, it was because I genuinely felt the need to do so. I was very much hoping for GTA V to be the GTAs of all GTAs, believe me, I wish I had no complaints at all. I could not give a f*ck about looking cool or looking like I got taste - I just wanted the game to fully meet my expectations, and that's the truth. 

And like I said, if VI is worse than V and makes no improvement on it, then there will be more complaints of a similar nature. If that happens, there nothing really to look out for, it's something to be naturally expected. 

See that is my point. You were expecting the GTA's of all GTA and you need to realize that there is no such thing. "GTA's of all GTA" is a very vague term. There is no such thing as the best GTA. Every GTA has its own faults and merits. Since GTA is different to everyone, what is one person's ultimate GTA is different from another's. Just look at some people loving IV's driving and others hating it. So expecting an ultimate GTA is an impossible wish.

Now if you had just expected a pretty good GTA that has both faults and positives, you would be less disapointed.

• SmoothGetaway, Geralt of Rivia and ten-a-penny like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

GTAV is the best videogame I've ever played, no contest.

I think the disappointment comes with unrealistic expectations, plain and simple. If you build anything up in your head, reality will always bitch slap you back to planet earth.

I have my complaints with the game, but I'm still playing it almost every single day.

Exactly this.

Go to any other forum and people love this game.

Come here - where we had people dissecting the trailers and screenshots, constantly posting rumors, and speculating about ridiculous things - and almost everyone here hates it.

I loved it. I thought it was great. It has its issues, and I can't wait for the PC version to be released so my gripes can be fixed with mods. No game is perfect, and it's your fault if you expected it to be. Chances are some retard is going to quote my "no game is perfect" statement, claim some game is, and simultaneously rip on V. Because that's how insane people on this site are.

The 'almost everyone hates it' part isn't true.

It's just that the people who hate it are really, really loud.

• iProinsias and vengenceniko like this

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:27 AM

The only reason I can see anyone being overly disappointed with GTAV is because they thought it was going to be as revolutionary as RDR. But how could it be? RDR, while probably the best game I've ever played, is set in a much less dense world. So every element that WAS there could be given so much intimate detail. On this generation of consoles, that level of care simply CAN'T be paid to every element in a game world as large and dense as LS. Even so, the amount of detail in GTAV, given its size and scope, is still mind blowing. Stop comparing GTAV to other Rockstar titles and just enjoy it for what it is: one of the greatest games to ever grace a disc.

• ten-a-penny and vengenceniko like this

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

This game is boring for boring people.  I can literally just drive around the hood in my cavalcade with no problem.

Gta can be anything you want if you have an imagination.
Wanna be a policeman? Steal a cruiser and stop random muggings
Wanna be a gangster? Play as frank and wear green apparel and ride around the hood on a bmx while chop follows you.
Gta is 100x if you have an imagination
  • darkwar854, vengenceniko and MarabuntaGrande like this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

Most of what disappoints me in GTA V are things I'm surprised R* would even do in the first place. This may sound like nitpicking, but the lack of taxi interiors, crouching, interactive vendors, grabbing and holding onto ledges etc bother me as this should all be standard in a game like GTA V. The addition of planes, tanks, more weapons are all nice, but it's the little things that count IMO. I don't see any legit excuse for this stuff not to be in the game.

Also I think the property is a joke compared to VC and SA. Not only is most of it over priced, but it all feels like it was never going to be in the game from the start and was only added because of the negative feedback from fans when it was mentioned GTA V wasn't going to have property. The end result feels rushed, unfocussed and out of place. A real disappointment considering it was the first time since SA property purchasing had been in a GTA game as far as the main titles are concerned. Not including VCS and CTW.

Anyway I'd still rate GTA V between a 8.5 and a 9. I've had so much fun playing the game don't get me wrong, but it feels like it was trying to reach a certain level, but fell short of it. It's still a great game however.

• Matty, Official General, Ermac and 2 others like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:48 AM Edited by cp1dell, 15 January 2014 - 02:53 AM.

Most of what disappoints me in GTA V are things I'm surprised R* would even do in the first place. This may sound like nitpicking, but the lack of taxi interiors, crouching, interactive vendors, grabbing and holding onto ledges etc bother me as this should all be standard in a game like GTA V. The addition of planes, tanks, more weapons are all nice, but it's the little that count IMO. I don't see any legit excuse for this stuff not to be in the game.

Also I think the property is a joke compared to VC and SA. Not only is most of it over priced, but it all feels like it was never going to be in the game from the start and was only added because of the negative feedback from fans when it was mentioned GTA V wasn't going to have property. The end result feels rushed, unfocussed and out of place. A real disappointment considering it was the first time since SA property purchasing had been in a GTA game as far as the main titles are concerned. Not including VCS and CTW.

Anyway I'd still rate GTA V between a 8.5 and a 9. I've had so much fun playing the game don't get me wrong, but it feels like it was trying to reach a certain level, but fell short of it. It's still a great game however.

Two steps forward and one step back is how I always describe it. There are so many features and mechanics in V that were in GTA IV, RDR, and MP3 but were developed horribly for V.

• TheOtherRyan likes this

Cicero The Great
  • Cicero The Great

Only We can use majestic plural, deal with it

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

All is oversimplified to appeal the masses, they should have postponed GTA online and focus only on SP

Instead we have two half products at the actual state, and neither is what was intended to be in rockstar's pre-release promises
  • TheOtherRyan likes this

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

Most of what disappoints me in GTA V are things I'm surprised R* would even do in the first place. This may sound like nitpicking, but the lack of taxi interiors, crouching, interactive vendors, grabbing and holding onto ledges etc bother me as this should all be standard in a game like GTA V. The addition of planes, tanks, more weapons are all nice, but it's the little things that count IMO. I don't see any legit excuse for this stuff not to be in the game.

Really? Crouching should be standard in GTAV? Then you must've hated Assassin's Creed 3, a STEALTH game that has no crouch feature. I can forgive this in GTAV (though I would've definitely liked it), but in a game like AC3 it's downright inexcuseable. In a GTA game, its no big deal to me.

Also, what do you mean when you say "taxi interiors"? Like, when you use a taxi you can't see the inside of the vehicle?

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

Really? Crouching should be standard in GTAV? Then you must've hated Assassin's Creed 3, a STEALTH game that has no crouch feature. I can forgive this in GTAV (though I would've definitely liked it), but in a game like AC3 it's downright inexcuseable. In a GTA game, its no big deal to me.

Also, what do you mean when you say "taxi interiors"? Like, when you use a taxi you can't see the inside of the vehicle?

I always found crouching useful for when I didn't want to use full cover, but still wanted to be mobile. As for the taxi interiors yeah that's what I mean.

It's only briefly used when you want to select a destination, but you can't see inside of the taxi for a full journey like in GTA IV. I really have no idea why they wouldn't implement it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users