Photo

Tips on how to be a better Jet Pilot?

42 replies to this topic
Forgoten214
  • Forgoten214

Play for fun

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Ok so what are your tips to how to be a better Jet Pilot? I've gotten some good tips in other threads that were offtopic so I figure I'd start a new thread about this. Also the other thread about Jets was locked so don't make this happen on this thread because I'd really like to learn how to be a better Jet pilot.

I always seem to stall out or kill myself by crashing into things when I'm trying to Strafe shoot people on the ground or if I'm moving too fast I miss all my shots. 

Also on a side note, whats the easiest way to get into the military base? It always takes me awhile to get into the base.

And is there a way to buy a Jet or own one? Or is the military base the only option as of now?

No trolling or flaming please, try to stay on topic everyone. 

• tjor24 likes this

MaverickNJD
  • MaverickNJD

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

Fastest way into the base is to fly over it in a chopper or plane and parachute down. In a car, the fastest way is to approach the tunnel that goes under the runway from the north and ramp the hill on the right at full speed. This will launch the car over the double fence and into the base.

• mo-seph likes this

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

IIRC (someone will no doubt correct me) the plane only has enough fuel for 12 hours in game time (about 24 mins) so this might be  areason for stalling.. the engine jsut cuts out eventually..

also the engine is the most sensitive thing EEEEEVER... if you take even one bullet it will eventually pop and die, should that happen try not to fly full speed as it will only die quicker... cant take a plane into the LSC for a repair.

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:04 PM Edited by SFBryan18, 14 January 2014 - 02:37 PM.

A few tips that will make anyone a better jet pilot:

- When stealing it, fly straight up to avoid the missile.

- Put the landing gear up to turn, and put the landing gear down to shoot. This slows you down.

- Rapid tap the brake to slow down as much as possible for a better shot. Holding it will kill the engine, so don't.

- Use the machine gun because it has explosive rounds and delivers much more fire power. A direct hit can destroy a tank.

- Expand the radar in the options when in a jet. It does not scale like the mini version so you can find a target much easier.

- After you pass the tank, pull up hard so they can't take a shot at you.

I prefer third person view in a jet.

The jet in the middle by the runway is the least likely to have a guard. Land by it in a helicopter, or drive to it after jumping the tunnel. The tunnel can be jumped in almost any car, so if you die, call a cab instead of risking your personal vehicle. You'll make the jump every time if you hit the far right side of the ramp which curves up to a near vertical angle.

• Darkclox likes this

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:04 PM Edited by Furry_Monkey, 14 January 2014 - 02:04 PM.

Fastest way into the base is to fly over it in a chopper or plane and parachute down. In a car, the fastest way is to approach the tunnel that goes under the runway from the north and ramp the hill on the right at full speed. This will launch the car over the double fence and into the base.

^^ That.

As for tips for getting better, I'm afraid it's good old practice that you need.  Start easy, by just learning to fly low.  Do it round places that don't have tall buildings and then build your way up till you're comfortable around the main city.  After that, practice flying low over the freeway and using the cannon to destroy NPC vehicles.

I recently started doing this myself, and killed my first player this way only a few days ago (he was in a car, with a bounty and I just flew over and gunned him down).  I've since killed a few other players but anyone that says this is easy is just trying to make themselves look better than they are.  It's hard, and takes practice, and quite often you can't make out what you're shooting at until it's too late.  There is an element of luck here that can only be replaced by perseverance.

It is fun though :p

Zoobz
  • Zoobz

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

When you're shooting people with the cannons have your wheels out, it stabilizes the jet and slows you down so it's easy to shoot. No need to use the 'brake' trigger. Be sure to put the landing gear back up when you're flying normally again.

Easiest way to get a jet is from the south over the marshes with a helicopter and get one from near the runway, away from where the Tanks spawn.

sportbikepilot369
  • sportbikepilot369

member QotD

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

Any confirmation on running out of fuel? I'm pretty sure I have been able to fly for allot longer than 12 hours game time.

Ankarstrom
  • Ankarstrom

Scooter brother

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

The easiest jets to get away with are the ones parked outside near or on the runway. As soon as you are in, switch to missile and take care of any incoming military vehicles (not necessary but fun). To take off, don't bother with getting a proper position on the runway, simply go full ahead -you don't need much room. 

Now all you need is to practice some air-to-ground attacks with the cannon, keep the wheels out to reduce speed.

...when you are done, try to land in the down town area -quite a challenge. Its always fun to see the reactions and for how long it will take before someone steal it.

JX6kQ6d.jpg

senormidget
  • senormidget

Basic Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

I find a better way to get into Zancudo is just to fly a helicopter straight into the hangar rather than parachuting in. If you can learn to land a helicopter quickly you won't get the wanted level until you exit your chopper, leaving you a good 30 seconds to get in the jet before tanks and troops show up. Once you're in it, get out of the hangar and fly straight up (don't look behind you, I've heard this causes enemy jets to spawn).

#UpgradeOrDie
  • #UpgradeOrDie

jailbroked

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Practice flying upside down and on lower ground. This will help you to feel comfortable doing loops or barrel rolls or do tight turns in tight spaces.

It really is not as hard as people think. Just pretend that upside down is right side up and reverse your up/down stick controls ;)

ioixYG6aufLuk.gif

Zoobz
  • Zoobz

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

Any confirmation on running out of fuel? I'm pretty sure I have been able to fly for allot longer than 12 hours game time.

I've survived a bounty in a jet. So it's defiantly longer than a full day in game time. Personally I don't think it runs out of fuel as no other vehicle in the game does.

• sportbikepilot369 likes this

Sash
  • Sash

Mile high club

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Do a load of knife flights in the city.

customkingpimp
  • customkingpimp

Functioning alcoholic

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

Who ever said the jet runs out of fuel is lieing. I was literally flying one around yesterday for at least an hour and a half (real time) without a single problem.

as for getting one, different methods work for people differently. I had absolutely no luck flying in, or parichuting in. I drive in off a hill on the east side of the base and gun it through a couple fences to the jet that is on the runway, turn the jet slightly right as you take off and bob and weave to avoid the missles and take off through the mountains to avoid the jet they send after you.

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:57 PM Edited by Malibu454, 14 January 2014 - 03:22 PM.

If you want to practice flying Lazer.
I made a GTA race in and  around the Fort on xbox. do it solo.
>Wanted off >Traffic on> Jump ramp over gate drive to jet > get in and fly. No cops no tanks.
great for practicing flying and blowing up npcs.
If you crash you spawn back in your car and drive in again. simple.
fly as long as you want > Finish race> collect 3k+ and 1600+ RP
Ill post link later from my phone.
stupid IE wont copy paste here.
Changed settings idk why?
Link below vvv
Zacundo Run
http://rsg.ms/L6zlPf

Ninja_Gear
  • Ninja_Gear

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:08 PM Edited by Ninja_Gear, 14 January 2014 - 03:10 PM.

Practice flying upside down and on lower ground. This will help you to feel comfortable doing loops or barrel rolls or do tight turns in tight spaces.

It really is not as hard as people think. Just pretend that upside down is right side up and reverse your up/down stick controls ;)

I suggest not doing that at all, as seen in your gif, it will ruin your jet and kill the engines and most likely yourself. In all your gifs you either crash, grind the ground or badly damage your Jet in other ways. Sure it looks nice and action packed, but that doesn't get you anywhere in a battle. When you are new to jets, its best to do some target practice first, and learn on how to take on tanks, buzzards and 1on1 dogfights. 

Going for buzzards is the same as AI cops, attack them from bellow or above, Tanks, dive and cannon them, snipers highlight them and drive on them, dogfights 1 on 1 with someone who really has skill? give it all you got because you can lose or gain the upperhand in the blink of an eye.

blingdiablo
  • blingdiablo

Shiny Devil

• Members
  • Belize

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

I suggest learning to pull off Immelmanns flawlessly. Learning that maneuver means you stay in line and above your target for repeated passes, and it gains you altitude for each subsequent diving strafe. Strafe your target, then once you pass it, pull back (nose up) and look behind you; watch the ground to keep straight and once you see the horizon (you'll be upside down), view front again, roll 180 degrees (putting you 'right-side up') and push the nose down. If you've done it right you'll be right on your target again, much quicker than a banking turn AND you'll have the altitude to come back down on them again. Repeat. This works to get you back on target so quickly, your target won't likely have moved much on the ground. It's even easier with tanks for targets.

Winning.

• MookStunna likes this

Forgoten214
  • Forgoten214

Play for fun

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Do you have a video demonstrating this?

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

The jet does not run out of fuel, I know this for a fact. It will stall if damaged though.

Like others said, be sure to have landing gear down when shooting at the ground. Unless you are going after a tank.

If you are attacking a tank you have to come in as steep as possible. Try to come in from a 30 degree anglen and only use guns of course. Be patient, it may take a few passes. If you come in too low a decent tank driver will take you out easily. Some times the cockpit view is easiest for air to ground but its really preference.

If you are doing air to air combat always use the farthest camera view, and use your right thumbstick to aid in finding the target. Guns are much more reliable than missiles.

If anyone wants to practice jet fights with me, send me a friend request with a message saying you are from the forum, and I will add you. I am very good with a jet and have only ever lost a jet deathmatch to 2 other people. PSN: Deffpony

Forgoten214
  • Forgoten214

Play for fun

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

OK are you on Xbox?

I
The jet does not run out of fuel, I know this for a fact. It will stall if damaged though.

Like others said, be sure to have landing gear down when shooting at the ground. Unless you are going after a tank.

If you are attacking a tank you have to come in as steep as possible. Try to come in from a 30 degree anglen and only use guns of course. Be patient, it may take a few passes. If you come in too low a decent tank driver will take you out easily. Some times the cockpit view is easiest for air to ground but its really preference.

If you are doing air to air combat always use the farthest camera view, and use your right thumbstick to aid in finding the target. Guns are much more reliable than missiles.

If anyone wants to practice jet fights with me, send me a friend request with a message saying you are from the forum, and I will add you. I am very good with a jet and have only ever lost a jet deathmatch to 2 other people. PSN: Deffpony

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

PSN only

spydeeman
  • spydeeman

Trick

• Members
  • Costa-Rica

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

The jet runs out of fuel but only if you try to fly it off the map then your screwed in the middle of the ocean miles away from everything. Did it once and it was not fun at all.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

The jet runs out of fuel but only if you try to fly it off the map then your screwed in the middle of the ocean miles away from everything. Did it once and it was not fun at all.

Yea, but that is as a means to keep you from flying away forever

Forgoten214
  • Forgoten214

Play for fun

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

Ah OK. If anyone on Xbox wants to fly jets or teach me how send me a message.

customkingpimp
  • customkingpimp

Functioning alcoholic

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

that is not it running out of fuel, you basically hit the end of the world, everything does that, hell, even if you are just swimming and make it out that far, you will just start to sink in the water.

SaturdayNight
  • SaturdayNight

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

I use a cargobob to get in. I don't get stars until I get out or have been in the base for like 20 seconds. Doing spirals, braking, and just staying out of anyones line of sight should keep you relatively safe from incoming fire (yes I have dodged missiles by braking) Whenever you make turns always use your yaw buttons too (Shoulder buttons) you turn faster and with better accuracy, my banks have gotten flawless because of it. You also wanna practice a split S maneuver kinda think of it as flying straight flipping your jet (half barrel roll) then pulling down on the joystick. If youre in a dog fight it helps you start your evasive maneuvers and getting behind your opponent. Unless they use the lower landing gear technique then it just kills the dogfight mood and is wildly unrealistic. to me thats classic abusing the functions of a jet. But oh well you did say pilot and not fighter pilot. 

Easy way, practice your turns. 

NewReno
  • NewReno

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:47 PM Edited by NewReno, 14 January 2014 - 06:49 PM.

Just accumulate flight time. I know that's not the best answer, but the more time you spend in a jet, the better you'll get. It's tougher these days since we can't call our mechanics for a jet, but still. 

Also, when trying to line up shots with the cannon, I found it much easier to aim while flying in 3rd person for some reason. When flying helicopters, I usually do better aiming in 1st person though.

Finally, when stealing a jet, try barrel rolls while maneuvering out of the base if you're having trouble staying alive.

Argonaut
  • Argonaut

For the Enclave!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

You can't, the physics engine for flying is utter bollocks, even Ace Combat Assault Horizon is better.

blingdiablo
  • blingdiablo

Shiny Devil

• Members
  • Belize

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Do you have a video demonstrating this?

I found this that shows the turn itself pretty decently (although leaves out any reference to ground targets, but that's pretty easy to figure out on your own...). 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tjd0N-yXgpw

esteban2606
  • esteban2606

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

This is the best pilot i've ever seen: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GsUYDNVuUx8

He also has a jet pilot guide: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MKTqlY7mcvM

DillBagnr
  • DillBagnr

Foot Soldier

• Members