Quantcast

» «
Photo

Spoiler improvements

12 replies to this topic

Poll: Spoiler improvements (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is better for spoilers?

1. Old style black bar - hover to reveal (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. Current format - click button to drop down text (8 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:15 AM Edited by Kirsty, 14 January 2014 - 04:38 PM.

I know many people here have adapted themselves wit the new forum features but I seriously have to tell this:

Spoiler

See, it's even breaking the line.

OK, for the new members, he's a snip from the Newbie's Guide by miromiro:

2cd78jq.png

As you can see, the black bars were the way of old spoiler tags. They were neat. We just needed to hover the cursor of the mouse to read what's written in it. It surely couldn't hide the smilieys but was very cool to make designs with it.

I know the old members will agree with me but I want everyone's views on this. :)

Edit by Kirsty - poll added

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Perhaps here things will be different

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:24 AM

To be honest I like the new spoiler tag as you have to actually have to click to reveal its contents. The old black box could be a nuisance if you were surfing through a thread and by accident hovered over one.

I think what we have atm is fine, but that's just me.

• Mr. Jago likes this

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:28 AM

To be honest I like the new spoiler tag as you have to actually have to click to reveal its contents. The old black box could be a nuisance if you were surfing through a thread and by accident hovered over one.

To keep the posts tidy, I would like if it doesn't breaks the lines. Also, it will be the member's mistake if he/she puts the cursor on the spoiler. I can assure you, people get more anxious to touch the spoilers even if they shouldn't.

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

The old spoiler tags are also a pain for mobile devices. I like the new ones.

Polish_Trucker
  • Polish_Trucker

It's the Hoff, I've been on this beach since Baywatch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Spoiler tag 2: Spoiler tag harder is better :^:

I remember before the update and a few days before the release of GTA V, I was looking at a thread, scrolling down and my cursor accidentally touched one of those black spoiler bars and a part of the game was ruined for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Spoiler

Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:04 AM Edited by Andreas, 14 January 2014 - 11:07 AM.

How about having both types of spoilers tags, the old and the new one? Members could choose the one that fits better to their posts, based on their preference. Personally, I'm fine with both of them, but I like the spoiler tags we had on the old boards slightly better.
  • GroundZero, AnDReJ98 and Dr. John like this

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

I actually preferred the old spoiler tags. They looked and worked better imho.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

How about having both types of spoilers tags, the old and the new one? Members could choose the one that fits better to their posts, based on their preference. Personally, I'm fine with both of them, but I like the spoiler tags we had on the old boards slightly better.

Yeah, that could work. Problem is; it could cause some lag to the sites. I want to know if this new IP. Boards support the older version's spoiler tags. I doubt that they would have kept the old ones. :/

Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

I want to know if this new IP. Boards support the older version's spoiler tags. I doubt that they would have kept the old ones. :/

The new boards do support the old spoiler tags, it even used them in the beginning, but they have been swapped with the new tags a few weeks/months after the update.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

I want to know if this new IP. Boards support the older version's spoiler tags. I doubt that they would have kept the old ones. :/

The new boards do support the old spoiler tags, it even used them in the beginning, but they have been swapped with the new tags a few weeks/months after the update.

I see. That's a good thing then. I still worry it may load up the sites. But it would be nice if it is approved.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

A bug I noticed with the spoiler tags is that as you all know old topics/posts before the update used the old spoiler tags. As a result, it takes a long time to show that it really is a spoiler, for some seconds I'm like 'Why the hell did the guy spoil the story' but only afterwards does the forum show that a spoiler tag has been used. 

Can the admins fix this bug please? Thanks in advance. :)

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ Anything 80's ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:06 PM Edited by Andreaz1, 14 January 2014 - 04:07 PM.

I'm not really bothered by it but I can see why some people think the old one was better. If it's that important it's very easy to just make your own one in whatever color you want and highlight it to show the text. The new one is much neater in hiding huge images or walls of text though.
  • GunWrath likes this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

I think both are useful in their own ways, but the newer one is the better of the two - not only does it work for mobile users, but like Andreaz1 said you can hide large walls of text/images which is useful for organising a post, often used to show updates as most users don't really need to see that.

However, the older one you can fit into sentences to not interrupt the 'flow' of the text, as well as not messing with the structure by adding a new line for every spoiler. But if one had to be used, I'd say the newer for for the reasons said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users