Photo

Are GTA 4's missions repetitive?

43 replies to this topic
Johan
  • Johan

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

Yes they're repetitive.. but IMO it's what made me love it in the first place, they were NEVER boring at all especially thanks to the amazing story and script the game had to offer as well as the side missions.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

Yes, GTA IV's missions are incredibly repetitive.  If you disagree with me, I have a challenge for you.

Name me all of the missions that are NOT:

1. Car chase missions

2. Assassination missions

There's 100 missions in the game.  So far, all I can remember is the heist and the kidnapping mission.

The Cousins Bellic?

The one mission where you kidnap Gracie? (assuming you don't count that as a car chase)

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Peon

• Members

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

So basically, you can name 2 out of 100 missions that weren't repetitive.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

So basically, you can name 2 out of 100 missions that weren't repetitive.

Sure, it's two, but look at the ratio you just stated - 2 out of 100.

It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, looking for non-repetitive missions in IV.

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

needs some bitches

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:49 AM Edited by Ermac., 27 February 2014 - 12:50 AM.

@godforgivesthelostdont Non-assassin & car chase missions you say. 

The Cousins Bellic

Three's a Crowd

Easy Fare

Jamaican Heat

Concrete Jungle

Paper Trail

Truck Hustle

Pegerino's Pride

First Date

No. 1

That Special Someone

The Snow Storm

Blow Your Cover

Russian Revolution

Catch The Wave

Babysitting

Waste Not Want Knots

Actions Speak Louder Than Words

Three Leaf Clover

To Live and Die in Alderney

Tunnel of Death

Undertaker

She's a Keeper

Harboring a Grudge

Luck of the Irish

Have a Heart

Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend

No Way on the Subway (Bike chase :p)

Museum Piece

There are a couple more that are escaping me atm, that's what I could think of off the top of my head. Even then, most of the hitman-esque missions (go here kill specific person) had different shticks to make them vary from each other. i.e. Call and Collect and Final Interview are basically the same thing (kill someone to acquire files/drive) but the methods you use to get to them are different.

My only real gripe with the car chase missions is the fact they are scripted out the asshole. I really really hope R* drops that for the next GTA, because it was present in V as well.

• lol232 and The Odyssey like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Go eat your mom's ass

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

It's kind of funny when you think about it. GTA IV always used to get bashed for freedom in its missions, but GTA V is a lot more linear. In regards to the heists with every escape you're forced to do it R*'s way and their way only. Which is a heavily scripted scenario.

With Three Leaf Clover you're left to do it however you see fit by either escaping through the subway or trying your luck on the streets. You have to lose them yourself unlike GTA V's heists which are scripted and don't allow the player any freedom at all in how they lose they heat.

Anyway I've never thought about approaching The Snow Storm like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Exactly. GTAV dictated you solely invest in the three protagonists and the missions and their lack of room for individual interpretation reflected this. There was no room for friends (in the GTAIV sense) or outside sources at all. The backup and perks of Niko's friends provide a tremendous amount of replayability and opportunities to approach missions uniquely. When we conspire with outside sources in GTAV - the limited amount being crew - their roles are scripted to the point you could set your clock to their actions.

There's no freedom of Museum Piece, where I can effecively manipulate the outcome of the mission as I desire. I can call up Jacob and load up on guns. I can phone Packie and load a bomb underneath the PMP convoy outside the museum. When it comes to escape I can ring Dwayne and have him send his boys out; while they're drawing fire from the mob goons I can make a dash for Middle Park, to where Brucie is waiting in a chopper. It is impossible in GTAV to replicate such freedom through friends and imagination. The only perspectives are engineered through scripted switching.

Damn you give out a lot of ideas for alternative ways to do missions. I'll make sure to do them on my current playthrough.

• Tyla likes this

lol232
  • lol232

The Harwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

A slight bit, but I have to say they're still pretty damn fun.
The most intense mission was Three Leaf Clover and the final mission. That sh*t was awesome.
  • rahjee likes this

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

GTA Vice City Reloaded Project Leader

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

Missions are repetitive, and boring for me, except the ones like Three Leaf Clover. The only thing made me passing the missions was story. Missions might be not so good, but every time you complete few, you get progress through the story, and as we know story is greatly written. But TBoGT improved on this, you have more variety in missions, but the story is not so good. If i would have to pick up one, i would pick up IV over TBoGT for sure.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Go eat your mom's ass

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

Missions are repetitive, and boring for me, except the ones like Three Leaf Clover. The only thing made me passing the missions was story. Missions might be not so good, but every time you complete few, you get progress through the story, and as we know story is greatly written. But TBoGT improved on this, you have more variety in missions, but the story is not so good. If i would have to pick up one, i would pick up IV over TBoGT for sure.

What about TLAD? :p Great story and missions. Superior game!

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

GTA Vice City Reloaded Project Leader

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

To be honest, no. TLaD's missions are also all the same. Maybe little more variety and better side activities than IV's but it's also 'go there and kill'. Thought you have more freedom than in V's missions. V has more linear missions.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Dressed To Kill

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

As much as I love TLAD I can't help but see where Rockstar began to sew seeds for the linear direction they'd take in GTAV. For half the game you're forced to ride in formation and rarely are you given the choice of using anything other than Johnny's Hexer for transport. As great as the missions and story, their variety didn't really extend beyond a change of transport or a drive from A to B. I didn't think it had the freedom of GTAIV, largely because you're confronted with mostly group shootouts opposed to having a lone target with a litter of protection around them that you can navigate to your choosing. Not that this is a bad thing. It was all appropriate to the theme of the game and part of what made it great.

That said, I liked what riding into battle with your brothers bought to the missions. Using Terry and Clay automatically offered up new directions to take a mission and having NPC's follow your charge was a nice touch. I do think they intended to include more options for missions. What about the mission Politics, Stubbs is meant to have a man at the gate to assist you? But he's nowhere to be seen? And the prison invasion - wasn't Stubbs supposed to be an aid there too?

Due for another TLAD playthrough I think.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Go eat your mom's ass

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

Stubbs is meant to have a man at the gate to assist you?

He's on the far south gate. You make good points though. The second half of the game is much better when you are the leader :p

rahjee
  • rahjee

They call me Smoove.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Mostly every mission in GTA IV is: drive to a location, have a shootout, drive away, drop everyone home, and get paid, then the mission's over

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 2 weeks ago

No. Just no. The mission are NOT repetitive at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users