Photo

Are GTA 4's missions repetitive?

43 replies to this topic
DisasterMaster13
  • DisasterMaster13

Anarky Bitches!

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:56 AM

I've heard people say gta 4's missions are for the most part repetitive. I want to get it from marketplace but I'm not sure. If you guys can give me examples of 10 unique-sounding missions to convince me I'll buy it.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:58 AM

The beginning of the game was unique to me as far as mission variety went, then it all went downhill once you unlocked Algonquin. Sure, some stuff was unique, but that aside, it was basically your run-of-the mill "go here, shoot him, escape them" ordeal.

• Wavesittich likes this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

Speaking as a hardcore GTA IV fan, yes. The missions do get quite repetitive. However GTA IV shouldn't be discouraged just for that.

IMO the storyline itself is gripping, emotional and intense. If you like that sort of thing though.

Ray
  • Ray

Tis The Season

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

There are some spectacular missions (Three Leaf Clover) but most of the time it's just repetitive nonsense. I wish Rockstar had been more creative and made a more vast variety of missions. But hey, it was their first attempt at being GTA to the PS3/X360, so maybe we should cut them some slack.

DisasterMaster13
  • DisasterMaster13

Anarky Bitches!

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

Speaking as a hardcore GTA IV fan, yes. The missions do get quite repetitive. However GTA IV shouldn't be discouraged just for that.

IMO the storyline itself is gripping, emotional and intense. If you like that sort of thing though.

I like story but I also enjoy gameplay.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

I think GTA IV has decent gameplay. IMO its side missions are some of the best in the series and LC is meticulously detailed. I mean in the SA thread you said it's not worth the $20 because of the repetitive missions. No offense, but how do you it's not worth it if you haven't tried it?

Writing off an entire game for just one thing is pretty silly. I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you though. GTA IV does indeed have its faults, but to me it's still an amazing game that a lot of people seem to harshly judge and don't try to appreciate other aspects.

I almost fell into the same trap with Mafia II. I wasn't going to buy it due to what the internet community had been saying, but I thought "why not?" and bought it. Now it's one of my favourite games.

I mean if you only have enough money to buy one game off the marketplace you should at least try the other via rental or something.

• I<3GTAV likes this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:10 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 14 January 2014 - 03:10 AM.

It isnt repetitive and it a great game,people forget that it was the first HD Era GTA game and was mindblowing for it time,in fact the game revolutionised HD openworld games just like how GTA 3 revolutionised the genre.In fact the game sold 25ml copies making it the third best-selling game in the Franchise after GTA 5 and San Andreas.OP it your choice it a great game and it has some great missions i.e."Three Leaf Clover".Which is one of the best missions of all time,and if you dont want GTA 4,there is TLaD and TBoGT both in EFLC or GTA 5.

Gettin up
  • Gettin up

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:05 AM

Don't worry about it. You should buy GTA V instead.  ;)

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:09 AM

Don't worry about it. You should buy GTA V instead.  ;)

This Comment Literally just end any reply.great one bro

DisasterMaster13
  • DisasterMaster13

Anarky Bitches!

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

Ok I will try it out.

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

Only mission that stands out in my mind is when Niko has to hold on to that truck and keep from rolling off.

Ray
  • Ray

Tis The Season

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

Only mission that stands out in my mind is when Niko has to hold on to that truck and keep from rolling off.

Three Leaf Clover didn't stand out in your mind? That was one of the best missions.
  • theGTAking101 likes this

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Three Leaf Clover didn't stand out in your mind? That was one of the best missions.

Well, I mean solely in terms of unique mechanics.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

Truck Hustle is awesome. I remember people complaining about the mechanics being only mission exclusive, but why would it be used outside of this mission?

Flatline is another cool and unique mission. Dressing up as a doctor to whack someone by pulling their life support or using other means is really fun.

Despite the general repititiveness GTA IV does have its gems.
  • Hodgey. likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:51 PM Edited by AceKingston, 14 January 2014 - 04:52 PM.

Alright I'll just write up a little review on GTA IV based on my personal opinion.

GTA IV is in my opinion the best GTA I have played so far. I haven't played V yet due to me being on PC but so far GTA IV is definitely the best I've played.

The main reason I'd say that is because it's story was really gripping and the characters were so well written. Especially Niko and Roman. I actually consider Vice City and IV to both be my favorite GTA's but it's the story and the characters in IV that make me put it above Vice. Although Vice had a brilliant story too.

The missions do have some variety but in comparison to the other GTA games, yes it can get repetitive. However there are some standout missions too but I don't want to spoil them for you. However if you like a gripping story and likeable characters then GTA IV certainly does do that very well.

The gameplay is great. The side-missions in the game are good as well. Sure it may not have as much as SA but it certainly had more quality than SA. Don't get me wrong, SA is a great game but there were some side-missions and activites that were useless like the Freight train missions and courier missions and some others. GTA IV did not have as much but atleast the side-missions had more quality in them.

The City is brilliant. Liberty City is by far the best city in a video game in my opinion. New York is so well done and the atmosphere is perfect. The gritty and dark atmosphere is something that no other GTA has to such an extent. There's quite a lot too look at in the city as well. I'd say it's worth buying just to experience the beauty of LC.

I might sound like a GTA IV fanboy here but this is my personal opinion. The game is as close to perfect in my opinion. It does have some flaws though but overall it is a must-have for any gamer especially a GTA Fan.

In other words, get it. If you end up not liking it, you should have it in your collection anyways.

• Tyla, Miamivicecity and theGTAking101 like this

DisasterMaster13
  • DisasterMaster13

Anarky Bitches!

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Thanks Ace. I will get the game along with SA.
  • Tyla likes this

peluche503
  • peluche503

The GSF OG

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:13 AM

iT WAS ALRIGHT BUT THE HEISTWAS JUST A CUTSCENE AND THANA GOOD SHOOTOUT

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

In defense of GTAIV, you are oftentimes given much, much freedom in way of how you can go about fulfiling your objectives. Much more so than GTAV, which will fail you for deviating too far from your objective or force you into switch. I will cite SonOfLiberty's Flatline example first. You can simply walk in, blast the target and gun your way through an FIB team to make your escape. Or, you steal a set of scrubs in order to get close to the target without arousing suspicion. Still control is in your hands. Do you knife him to death? Do you pull his life support? Do you slip up and give the target enough time to call out for help? Do you still blast him like the cowboy you are?

Late Checkout is a favorite of mine. It used to be a boring, bogstandard shootout until I discovered during my last playthrough I could approach it (and many other missions, in fact) with a little logic. Instead of going in through the front door, why not go around back? If you've explored the crevices of Liberty City enough you'll notice a sky lift going up to the building adjacent to The Majestic's penthouse. You can get a clear bead on the Jew hanging out there - the only one of the three targets to be armed. Long story short, you can pull the mission off a lot different to the way it is presented. I can leave a getaway car running (engine on) in front of the parking garages short of the alley and make an escape without the cops ever knowing I was there.

Could I do this in GTAV without being reprimanded to that horrible MISSION FAILED screen for walking too far away from the focus of my objective?

The Snow Storm is another mission I can remember fondly. You can launch an assault head-on from the front or, you can head down to Castle Gardens City, jack a boat, put a little thought into your planning. You can set up a nice little getaway for yourself by arriving in your stolen boat; you can creep onto the property undetected by sneaking around back and mounting stairs onto a decrepit roof. You've got yourself a nice little overview of the deal going down from the ideal vantage point, at which you can gun down a few goons, snatch the product and leave your enemies to bite the bullet from NOOSE. Just hop around back, get back in your boat and cut through the waves to lose the steam. It is a sorry state of affairs when the extent of my planning for this mission (and less) are considered missions in their entirety in GTAV.

The only missions in GTAV I can recall standing out were the heists (still linear in their own little way), Mr. Richards (in which you can sneak around back, mount some stairs and leap a building) and the Trevor mission Crystal Maze. There are probably more examples, for both titles.

I could go on all morning. GTAIV isn't without faults nor repetitiveness but to write it off for in favor of few smash'n grabs, some Trevor mayhem and a couple of car thefts is sin.

Just saw the OP got the game after all. My heart is warm. Any chance of a follow up on your thoughts of GTAIV, DisasterMaster?

• Miamivicecity, B Dawg and Ermac. like this

AlfredNTheFettuc
  • AlfredNTheFettuc

Hellbanned but not

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

The beginning of the game was unique to me as far as mission variety went, then it all went downhill once you unlocked Algonquin. Sure, some stuff was unique, but that aside, it was basically your run-of-the mill "go here, shoot him, escape them" ordeal.

That's what I thought too. Man, so many games have this problem - they're very interesting in the beginning, but they get "fatigued" and stale throughout, until the end (unless the ending is boring too, at least it was pretty good in IV).

GTA IV was unfortunately kinda weak with its missions, but at least I had lots of fun screwing around.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

In defense of GTAIV, you are oftentimes given much, much freedom in way of how you can go about fulfiling your objectives. Much more so than GTAV, which will fail you for deviating too far from your objective or force you into switch. I will cite SonOfLiberty's Flatline example first. You can simply walk in, blast the target and gun your way through an FIB team to make your escape. Or, you steal a set of scrubs in order to get close to the target without arousing suspicion. Still control is in your hands. Do you knife him to death? Do you pull his life support? Do you slip up and give the target enough time to call out for help? Do you still blast him like the cowboy you are?

Late Checkout is a favorite of mine. It used to be a boring, bogstandard shootout until I discovered during my last playthrough I could approach it (and many other missions, in fact) with a little logic. Instead of going in through the front door, why not go around back? If you've explored the crevices of Liberty City enough you'll notice a sky lift going up to the building adjacent to The Majestic's penthouse. You can get a clear bead on the Jew hanging out there - the only one of the three targets to be armed. Long story short, you can pull the mission off a lot different to the way it is presented. I can leave a getaway car running (engine on) in front of the parking garages short of the alley and make an escape without the cops ever knowing I was there.

Could I do this in GTAV without being reprimanded to that horrible MISSION FAILED screen for walking too far away from the focus of my objective?

The Snow Storm is another mission I can remember fondly. You can launch an assault head-on from the front or, you can head down to Castle Gardens City, jack a boat, put a little thought into your planning. You can set up a nice little getaway for yourself by arriving in your stolen boat; you can creep onto the property undetected by sneaking around back and mounting stairs onto a decrepit roof. You've got yourself a nice little overview of the deal going down from the ideal vantage point, at which you can gun down a few goons, snatch the product and leave your enemies to bite the bullet from NOOSE. Just hop around back, get back in your boat and cut through the waves to lose the steam. It is a sorry state of affairs when the extent of my planning for this mission (and less) are considered missions in their entirety in GTAV.

The only missions in GTAV I can recall standing out were the heists (still linear in their own little way), Mr. Richards (in which you can sneak around back, mount some stairs and leap a building) and the Trevor mission Crystal Maze. There are probably more examples, for both titles.

I could go on all morning. GTAIV isn't without faults nor repetitiveness but to write it off for in favor of few smash'n grabs, some Trevor mayhem and a couple of car thefts is sin.

Just saw the OP got the game after all. My heart is warm. Any chance of a follow up on your thoughts of GTAIV, DisasterMaster?

It's kind of funny when you think about it. GTA IV always used to get bashed for freedom in its missions, but GTA V is a lot more linear. In regards to the heists with every escape you're forced to do it R*'s way and their way only. Which is a heavily scripted scenario.

With Three Leaf Clover you're left to do it however you see fit by either escaping through the subway or trying your luck on the streets. You have to lose them yourself unlike GTA V's heists which are scripted and don't allow the player any freedom at all in how they lose they heat.

Anyway I've never thought about approaching The Snow Storm like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:22 AM

Truck Hustle is awesome. I remember people complaining about the mechanics being only mission exclusive, but why would it be used outside of this mission?

Flatline is another cool and unique mission. Dressing up as a doctor to whack someone by pulling their life support or using other means is really fun.

Despite the general repititiveness GTA IV does have its gems.

Flatline is a mission that definetly does stand out in my mind as not only was it unique in GTA IV but a unique mission for the GTA series in general.

I probably would say that I liked the missions in GTA IV quite a bit more than I did in GTA V. GTA V does have some fun missions but I think  when you couple them with the story arch that GTA IV was a bit more superior in that area of things.

• Miamivicecity likes this

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:07 AM

It's kind of funny when you think about it. GTA IV always used to get bashed for freedom in its missions, but GTA V is a lot more linear. In regards to the heists with every escape you're forced to do it R*'s way and their way only. Which is a heavily scripted scenario.

With Three Leaf Clover you're left to do it however you see fit by either escaping through the subway or trying your luck on the streets. You have to lose them yourself unlike GTA V's heists which are scripted and don't allow the player any freedom at all in how they lose they heat.

Anyway I've never thought about approaching The Snow Storm like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Exactly. GTAV dictated you solely invest in the three protagonists and the missions and their lack of room for individual interpretation reflected this. There was no room for friends (in the GTAIV sense) or outside sources at all. The backup and perks of Niko's friends provide a tremendous amount of replayability and opportunities to approach missions uniquely. When we conspire with outside sources in GTAV - the limited amount being crew - their roles are scripted to the point you could set your clock to their actions.

There's no freedom of Museum Piece, where I can effecively manipulate the outcome of the mission as I desire. I can call up Jacob and load up on guns. I can phone Packie and load a bomb underneath the PMP convoy outside the museum. When it comes to escape I can ring Dwayne and have him send his boys out; while they're drawing fire from the mob goons I can make a dash for Middle Park, to where Brucie is waiting in a chopper. It is impossible in GTAV to replicate such freedom through friends and imagination. The only perspectives are engineered through scripted switching.

• Miamivicecity and Ermac. like this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

This is why I'm so disappointed by the friends system in GTA V as the perks they offered in GTA IV came in handy for different missions.

Maybe GTA IV lacks variety in mission types, but they're arguably less linear than those in GTA V. Thinking about it I would rather have more freedom to do what I like in these missions even if their goal is somewhat similar than a bunch of different ones that are treated like a corridor type of scenario.

In some ways it's kind of frustrating how R* seem to find it difficult to get a balance. In a perfect world GTA V's variety combined with GTA IV's freedom would be ideal.

peluche503
  • peluche503

The GSF OG

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:10 PM Edited by peluche503, 09 February 2014 - 12:16 PM.

This is why I'm so disappointed by the friends system in GTA V as the perks they offered in GTA IV came in handy for different missions.

Maybe GTA IV lacks variety in mission types, but they're arguably less linear than those in GTA V. Thinking about it I would rather have more freedom to do what I like in these missions even if their goal is somewhat similar than a bunch of different ones that are treated like a corridor type of scenario.

In some ways it's kind of frustrating how R* seem to find it difficult to get a balance. In a perfect world GTA V's variety combined with GTA IV's freedom would be ideal.

Having freedom to do missions the way you want to them doesn't mean the mission is fun but rather more strategic because it's still the same boring certain mission in the game. GTA 5 may be linear but the missions are far superior. However asides from all those issues GTA IV has in its gameplay structure, that are a lot of mission that are fun, for example:

Packie's mission

Russian Revolution

The Snow Storm

Blow Your Cover

Hostile Negotiation

Tunnel of Death

A Long Way To Fall

Museum Piece

Late Checkout

Trespass

Truck Hustle ( love that mechanic, it gives a lot variety to the mission)

Final Interview

Actions Speak Louder Than Words

Diamonds Are A Girl's Beast Friend

Deconstruction For Beginners

If the Price Is Right

A Revenger's Tragedy

There are other missions that are fun but average compared to this ones in the list.

peluche503
  • peluche503

The GSF OG

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

I like how you say that GTA V heist are scripted, but from what I remember in the big score obvious approach you are left with a five star wanted level after the long epic shootout. This is just a minor detail you forgot.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:09 AM

My apologies. I guess I did.

DisasterMaster13
  • DisasterMaster13

Anarky Bitches!

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

I really enjoyed the game and actually liked it a bit more than gta 5. You guys were right it is good. Now to get SA.

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:29 PM Edited by Rainbow Party, 26 February 2014 - 09:29 PM.

I've played it up to unlocking Manhattan and then got really bored. Maybe the best happens afterwards but yeah it's mostly shootouts while taking cover behind walls and all that. But idk how missions can be original in this type of games by 2008, let alone 2014.

TheUnholy
  • TheUnholy

Brain Stew

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

Although, IV is my favourite, yes, the missions get more and more repetitive but I don't know, I've never got bored from this repetition, probably because of the raw atmosphere the missions bring you in. I can count a number of missions that are memorial for me despite most of the missions being repetitive. For example, Three Leaf Clover is the best building block for the reason I've mentioned. With a bag full of money on your back, you fight your way against the police through the streets of Chinatown. Then, to lose the deadly chopper on your back, you enter the subway, to face number of cops,  then you fight your way along the tracks, make it to the street level and get away from the police. Adrealine was quite over the top during this mission. I felt exactly like Niko, Packie and Derrick who are into a deadly shootout with cops at notorious Chinatown.

Another one is Elizabeta's Blow Your Cover. You go escort a heroin deal that is set in a messy apartment which seems quietly to be a "junkies place" (and this setting is one of the things that have made the mission realistic). Then actually the customers appear to be "pigs". Then you fight your way off the dirty apartment, NOOSE teams rushing upstairs, to get you. I felt like a heroin slinger who is about to be canned during this mission. Was quite realistic.

The Snow Storm is surely one of the most adrenaline pumped missions, but not unnecessary one. Real natural. And I'm sure lots of people have felt the same feeling with me. It was one of the most difficult missions in the first try because you must take out a dozen of drug dealers to get Elizabeta's stolen cocaine. Once you get the cocaine, NOOSE team shows up and you must make your way out of the hospital, with lots of NOOSE wanting to get you. The most adrealine pumped moment of mine in IV. I jumped in the Bobcat with a slight little health and get into a long-time chase with the police. Quite realistic, was acting strategically to not to be pinched by police bullets.

To Live and Die In Alderney is another significant example. In the mission, you're gonna get some cooled-off heroin to offload it but once you get there, you're "welcomed" by the Feds. You enter an obviously interesting car chase in the streets, taking alleyways... feels like those infamous car chases in action movies. Later upon, you ditch your car in an alleyway, throw a bag of smack on your shoulder, fend off NOOSE that confronts you in the backalley. Along with your mafioso friends (Phil and Frankie), you fend off the team, then get another escaping car. I felt similar feelings as I felt during Three Leaf Clover.

Along these masterpieces, Roman's Sorrow, Hostile Negotiation, Flatline and some more can be considered as the other realistic ones.

• Ermac. likes this

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

Yes, GTA IV's missions are incredibly repetitive.  If you disagree with me, I have a challenge for you.

Name me all of the missions that are NOT:

1. Car chase missions

2. Assassination missions

There's 100 missions in the game.  So far, all I can remember is the heist and the kidnapping mission.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users