Pegorino betrayed Niko?

4 replies to this topic
lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

*SPOILERS*

I don't know what others will make of this topic, but on my latest playthrough of GTA IV I thought of something. I have come up with a huge theory: Pegorino betrayed Niko (or planned to) and was in cahoots with Dimitri for quite some time. I am basing this on several hints:

As we know, Niko and Packie exchange Gracie for the diamonds with Luis and Gay Tony. But of course they are then ambushed by Mr. Bulgarin's men. As far as anyone knows, the Pegorinos (apart from Ray, who may have been killed by this point anyway) knew nothing about the exchange.

Pegorino generally didn't trust Ray and was pissed with him for not "passing up the ladder" where the diamonds were concerned. Therefore he had him assassinated by Niko.

A few days after the diamond exchange, Rocco met with Luis and told him that Ancelotti and Bulgarin had sat down and made an agreement: either Luis or Tony must die. Rocco said it should be Tony because he'd prefer to work with Luis in the clubs.

Now Bulgarin was an ally of Dimitri's, as we found out early in Niko's story. I'm thinking Dimitri and Pegorino were already allied at this point, and that they might have been involved in the same sit-down with Ancelotti. Pegorino agreed with their demands to have Niko whacked too. With the heroin deal set up, they planned in advance that Niko would act as a middleman between them for the heroin deal but be executed instead. Pegorino didn't care much for Phil (he even considered killing him instead of Ray) and probably didn't particularly want to risk him ratting on the family, and so he decided that it would be best for him to fall along with Niko when they entered the compound.

So I guess the question is about whether Pegorino knew Dimitri was going to betray Niko again (as in the Deal ending) and didn't care or whether he was under the assumption that the deal would go smoothly.

Anyone else thinking along these lines???

• PaletoChickenCapo likes this

PaletoChickenCapo
  • PaletoChickenCapo

Neunundneunzig Luftballons

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:50 PM Edited by PaletoChickenCapo, 13 January 2014 - 08:51 PM.

Well, it's a good theory, but it just seems too complicated.

There are two things I wonder about:

1. Why did Pegorino become an ally of Dimitri at the end of the deal-ending? Dimitri betrayed both Niko, Bell and Pegorino when he kept the heroin for himself.

2. What happened with the Ancelottis in the end of GTA TBOGT? I thought they wanted either Tony or Luis dead, and Luis even killed Uncle Vince without getting the Ancelottis after him.

Related to Q2:

A few days after the diamond exchange, Rocco met with Luis and told him that Ancelotti and Bulgarin had sat down and made an agreement: either Luis or Tony must die. Rocco said it should be Tony because he'd prefer to work with Luis in the clubs.

• lilchris131 likes this

lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:29 PM Edited by lilchris131, 13 January 2014 - 10:31 PM.

That is why I think it was a set-up, because Jimmy calls Niko after "If the Price is Right" and wishes him all the best, but the next day a hitman was sent to Roman's wedding by Dimitri, which Pegorino clearly must have known about. So likely he was buttering him up (probably on Dimitri's orders) just incase so Niko didn't suspect a hitman. Also maybe Pegorino found out about Phil's affair with his wife which explains why he let him get sent into the ambush along with Niko.

The only thing that really ruins my theory is that Dimitri bothered to call Niko to tell him that he had killed the buyers and betrayed him yet again (although he may have done this just for the fun of taunting him), because as Phil said: "If they'd gotten tipped off before Dimitri called us, we woulda been f*cked. It woulda been an execution." So it makes no sense because Niko would have had less chance of surviving if they hadn't been warned.

In regard to the Ancelotti's there is a good chance they lost their seat on the Commission, since three high ranking members (Garone, Tony Black and Chubby Charlie) had been killed, plus Gravelli wasn't too happy about their dealings with the Russians. It might have been one of Gravelli's dying wishes that it was saw to that they lost their seat. Also consider that the Ancelottis had a feud with the Messinas at one point.

PaletoChickenCapo
  • PaletoChickenCapo

Neunundneunzig Luftballons

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

That is why I think it was a set-up, because Jimmy calls Niko after "If the Price is Right" and wishes him all the best, but the next day a hitman was sent to Roman's wedding by Dimitri, which Pegorino clearly must have known about. So likely he was buttering him up (probably on Dimitri's orders) just incase so Niko didn't suspect a hitman. Also maybe Pegorino found out about Phil's affair with his wife which explains why he let him get sent into the ambush along with Niko.

Maybe they made a deal. Pegorino got half of the heroin or something, if Dimitri got to kill Niko. Because Niko was one of Pegorino's strongest "workers", so I don't think Peg would have let Dimitri get away with killing Niko without paying.

• lilchris131 likes this

lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

As far as Niko's concerned Pegorino and Dimitri had nothing to do with each other until he meets him at Honkers and Jimmy tells him about the deal ("One Last Thing"). In fact, they were enemies based on previous scenarios. But we don't find out they are actually partners until Niko chases after them in the final mission. So to me it all indicates they were already partnered and had it all planned out before the finale begins. I'm also wondering whether Bulgarin had anything to do with the deal (or in the case of the Revenge ending, was supposed to), especially if it was in fact a four-way sit down between Ancelotti-Bulgarin-Dimitri-Pegorino, because as we see in TBoGT he ended up with the horse and was the last person to have it.

In the case of the Revenge ending, the deal never even took place, but was obviously still planned.

One thing that I do wonder about (assuming Pegorino didn't know Dimitri was going to betray Niko), was why he was so desperate for Niko to do the deal? Couldn't Phil handle it alone?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users