Photo

This game holds your hand and babies you far too much. Where's the

119 replies to this topic
iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

The older GTA's were more challanging because many apsects of gameplay simply sucked by comparison. No way to take cover, no rolling, the aiming was garbage, the camera wasn't as intuitive, the mini map wasn't as informative, dying often meant driving halfway across the map to retry the mission, the physical abilities of the characters were far more limited (no climbing, no sneaking, jumping off of stuff, even in a sprint, barely created any distance between you and what you were jumping off of). Of course the game is going to be harder when your character is too dumb to use a nearby low wall for cover and instead must sprint for the nearest cover tall enough to protect you as you just stand there upright like a moron. 

• Officer Ronson, TheMasterfocker and fac316 like this

Cicero The Great
  • Cicero The Great

Only We can use majestic plural, deal with it

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:23 AM

Just try it. You will start appreciating it as well.

Uh... thanks? I already played and completed VC several times... back in 2002. I don't think I'll be going back to it, it's still my least favourite GTA (the 80s were baws, baws music, baws fashion... some good movies, but that's about it).

Vice city soundtrack it's still the best of the series, and in the 70s and 80s some of the greatest albums of all times were produced

The game itself - even with sh*tty outdated graphics - had a vibe totally absent in V, and was better on a lot of aspects

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:33 AM

Did this forum suddenly turn into the pro gaming league forum or something?

• DeafMetal and fac316 like this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:37 AM

Just try it. You will start appreciating it as well.

Uh... thanks? I already played and completed VC several times... back in 2002. I don't think I'll be going back to it, it's still my least favourite GTA (the 80s were baws, baws music, baws fashion... some good movies, but that's about it).

Vice city soundtrack it's still the best of the series, and in the 70s and 80s some of the greatest albums of all times were produced

The game itself - even with sh*tty outdated graphics - had a vibe totally absent in V, and was better on a lot of aspects

Exactly. I’m probably understood wrong (by some) since they fail to notice that the topic itself starts out to tell how much the current games (GTA V) lack on specific grounds as mentioned by OP drawing out a simple comparison based on what used to offer challenge in the game-play.

In a sandbox game like GTA, how can you explain the missing aspects of the new game without even mentioning the past?

Since GTA 3, the GTA games have shown some great all round challenge and difficulty into the missions. Out of the series though, Vice City easily rules. 

Despite, GTA V was a more polished experience, there are plenty of features that get engaged in making the missions less challenging. The difficulty ramps up because of the improved NPC behavior and revamped law system only. 

Even finishing the GTA V on 100%, from the requirements point of view, it's not a 100% for real.

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:05 AM

The checkpoint skipping feature is something they carried over from L.A. Noire. In that game, you could skip all of the action sequences and advance the story without needing any real input. This made it literally impossible to fail. 

The checkpoint system was long overdue, though. Don't you remember how annoying it was in GTA: SA and its predecessors when you died during a mission and spawned at the nearest hospital? After two or three trips back to the mission start point and subsequent failures, I said "f*ck it" more often than not. Plus, buying all of those weapons again was a chore. 

But you're right. Generally speaking, video games are a lot easier today than they were "back then." Developers are more aimed at "wowing" gamers than challenging them, hence V being the definitive game of its era. 

I almost feel like this is a minority opinion here -- but the missions were complex enough and the story line was engaging enough for me to never mind it in the case of this game. The challenge is in timing more than anything else; you'd be surprised at how many inexperienced GTA players can f*ck up what we consider to be the easiest of tasks.

I brought the game over to a buddy of mine's pad and started a new campaign with him. Within the prologue, he walked past the vault, accidentally shot M in the face, and crashed the truck. I cringed at these embarrassing misfires and questioned his basic hand-eye coordination skills. 

• Osho and PedoneRosso like this

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:18 AM

There's only one thing that can save every poor soul in this thread from certain doom.

Doc Chicken ...

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

Dumbed down from San Andreas for the closet fanboys.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:18 AM Edited by Racecarlock, 15 January 2014 - 07:18 AM.

When did video games become the god damn military? "You must be this skilled to enter."

And all this bitching over what, a f*cking skip feature? JUST DON'T USE IT! How about that? Hmm? How's that for hardcore. If your problem is that other people use it, f*ck you. People can play games how they want to.

Oh and look, the old ADHD kid f*ckin' argument again. Really? Really? Why is it that just because you prefer story or challenge you think you're so much better than everyone else? BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT! Wake up! You're not composing epic poetry, you're not writing an epic novel, you're not saving kids from a burning building, you're not climbing a mountain. You are playing a video game. Nothing more. You are not more noble, more high class, or more intelligent just because you prefer more challenge. sh*t, I like soda. Does that make me better than someone who likes milk?

You wanna be hardcore? f*cking act like it. f*cking actually BE hardcore by accepting that some other people aren't. BE hardcore by being different and actually accepting that other people play the game differently.

You're the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. f*ckING ACT LIKE IT!

• StarFyer likes this

CrustyFapSock
  • CrustyFapSock

Rat

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

When did video games become the god damn military? "You must be this skilled to enter."

And all this bitching over what, a f*cking skip feature? JUST DON'T USE IT! How about that? Hmm? How's that for hardcore. If your problem is that other people use it, f*ck you. People can play games how they want to.

Oh and look, the old ADHD kid f*ckin' argument again. Really? Really? Why is it that just because you prefer story or challenge you think you're so much better than everyone else? BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT! Wake up! You're not composing epic poetry, you're not writing an epic novel, you're not saving kids from a burning building, you're not climbing a mountain. You are playing a video game. Nothing more. You are not more noble, more high class, or more intelligent just because you prefer more challenge. sh*t, I like soda. Does that make me better than someone who likes milk?

You wanna be hardcore? f*cking act like it. f*cking actually BE hardcore by accepting that some other people aren't. BE hardcore by being different and actually accepting that other people play the game differently.

You're the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. f*ckING ACT LIKE IT!

What kind of incoherent nonsense is this. Is there a difficulty setting with an easy mode I'm trying to get rid of? Or is the whole game unavoidably dumbed down for casuals at the veteran players expense. Imagine for gta 6 r* announces invincibility cheat is always on. Doesn't sound like fun to you? Well your no better than the people who hate any sort of challenge so f*ck you and suck it up. You're an idiot.

PedoneRosso
  • PedoneRosso

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:11 AM Edited by PedoneRosso, 15 January 2014 - 10:23 AM.

So, after you take the deludamol van to Trevor's mother you are transfered to Franklin, and the mission is not completed (no "Mission Completed" screen, otherwise featured for each and every Strangers and Freaks mission, including the Bigfoot one which is the most similar with the Trevor's mom one, story-wise).

Now the game is not holding your hand: what was your solution?

I'm stuck there, and everytime Trevor steals a deludamol van (Rumpo) the sequence is repeated: take it to his mom, she's not there and you're transfered to Franklin in the same spot of the city crossing path with the same girl.

And I'm really surprised nobody seems to care about this at all!

This is not a glitch, guys. The game is not holding our hand and we're not even asking ourself what we're supposed to do: it's just nothing for the whole players' community.

For this alone, imho the point of this thread is void of meaning: hardcore nostalgic players of older GTAs (which I played as well, btw) don't give a shoot about it, just like everybody else.

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

What kind of incoherent nonsense is this. Is there a difficulty setting with an easy mode I'm trying to get rid of? Or is the whole game unavoidably dumbed down for casuals at the veteran players expense. Imagine for gta 6 r* announces invincibility cheat is always on. Doesn't sound like fun to you? Well your no better than the people who hate any sort of challenge so f*ck you and suck it up. You're an idiot.

The answer to that question is no. In fact, GTA has never been LESS dumb. Dumb is when your character is too stupid to take cover. Dumb is when your character can't aim to (literally) save his life. Dumb is when enemies simply stand out in the open and fire away. Dumb is when a career criminal steals an ambulance or firetruck to go around saving people. GTAV is the most competent, intelligent GTA yet.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

I never replayed a single mission, never used checkpoints, If I didn't complete it on gold on the first try - I would reload, same if I failed a mission.If I got wasted, or busted, I reloaded the game. Now THAT'S how you make GTA V pretty damn difficult.

And who does not do that? That does not make V that much harder.

haythem09
  • haythem09

Honorbru Dispray

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:25 PM Edited by haythem09, 15 January 2014 - 06:26 PM.

I understand the need to cater to the more retarded audiences of this generation but simply allowing you to skip parts is pathetic. You might say "It's your choice" but even giving the option insults me. If there was a button at the beginning of the game which said "Complete all 100%", tell me that the fact the button is even there doesn't bother you.

It does.

It's an option that you're in no way compelled to choose.

Actually you are compelled. It's a game, and in a game you are meant to try to win by the rules of the game, not by your own set of imaginary rules. Now if the game incorporates skipping parts into the rules, you are compelled to do so. Whether you resist the urge or not, human nature gives you that urge. Not only this but when you beat a part of a game, it doesn't feel rewarding knowing you could've just skipped it.

And no, I'm not referring to Casual gamers. I'm referring to Retarded gamers. Because skipping parts is pointlessly retarded. I mean this game isn't even hard.  Not even Angry Birds allows you to simply "Skip" levels; and that is the Casual game.

The Quench
  • The Quench

'SEVEN1FO'

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

Returning back to a checkpoint after failing? Genius. Being able to just skip that section of the mission after failing many times? Not so genius. 

*Big Boy Voice (RLS)* 

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

I understand the need to cater to the more retarded audiences of this generation but simply allowing you to skip parts is pathetic. You might say "It's your choice" but even giving the option insults me. If there was a button at the beginning of the game which said "Complete all 100%", tell me that the fact the button is even there doesn't bother you.

It does.

Actually you are compelled. It's a game, and in a game you are meant to try to win by the rules of the game, not by your own set of imaginary rules. Now if the game incorporates skipping parts into the rules, you are compelled to do so. Whether you resist the urge or not, human nature gives you that urge. Not only this but when you beat a part of a game, it doesn't feel rewarding knowing you could've just skipped it.

This is just assinine. People are complaining the game isn't challanging enough, how are those people "resisting the urge" if they WANT more of a challange? They have no urge to skip the parts they fail, because its just further removing any challanging feel.

Too many people on this forum try to project their own thoughts, opinions and feelings onto the community as a whole.

davetopper
  • davetopper

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

It is a beautiful game. Artistic, well rendered and it sits on my shelf. Skyrim. It just sits there. Is Skyrim the skill in which you speak? Test Drive Unlimited 2. If I hadn't totally given up on that game I wouldn't even have a system to play on. I would have destroyed it. 

A thread like this is shadowed and lost by the countless upon countless threads and posts, and comments about the cops being too hard. 

Hell that is my joy now after completing the game ( unfinished product as it is ) hunting down cops and getting into races with them. And after five stars. Getting away. Does that take skill? 

Gotta know where to go. 

Who here liked L.A. Niore? 

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:50 AM Edited by Racecarlock, 16 January 2014 - 04:51 AM.

Me suck it up? Who is the one complaining that people have an option you don't approve of? This is essentially michael whining about the entitled millennials in video game forum form.

It does.

And no, I'm not referring to Casual gamers. I'm referring to Retarded gamers. Because skipping parts is pointlessly retarded. I mean this game isn't even hard.  Not even Angry Birds allows you to simply "Skip" levels; and that is the Casual game.

Well look at you in your big boy shorts. So, the feature should be removed because people might have the urge to use it?

That's dumb and so are you. It's not like you are forced to skip levels or anything, you and jizzsock up there are just bitching because players have choices. Nothing more. I know you can't achieve anything in reality, so you just spend your whole sad existence in "challenging" video games because they're the only place you can get sh*t done and the only way you can feel like you've done something other than sit on your ass hitting buttons to make pixels move, but in the end, complaining because other players have the option to skip is asinine and stupid and above all, immature.

Grow the hell up already.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Perhaps here things will be different

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

The game isn't that easy when you don't look at the gameplay aids. In saying that I can see why R* would add these things. I have to admit using the skip feature when failing over and over again.

NeedleBanger
  • NeedleBanger

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

This game is for little kids, just like all the rest of the crap coming out.

CrustyFapSock
  • CrustyFapSock

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

Me suck it up? Who is the one complaining that people have an option you don't approve of? This is essentially michael whining about the entitled millennials in video game forum form.

It does.

Well look at you in your big boy shorts. So, the feature should be removed because people might have the urge to use it?

That's dumb and so are you. It's not like you are forced to skip levels or anything, you and jizzsock up there are just bitching because players have choices. Nothing more. I know you can't achieve anything in reality, so you just spend your whole sad existence in "challenging" video games because they're the only place you can get sh*t done and the only way you can feel like you've done something other than sit on your ass hitting buttons to make pixels move, but in the end, complaining because other players have the option to skip is asinine and stupid and above all, immature.

You're missing the point. The option to skip is a small part of the bigger picture which is the ENTIRE game is made to be too easy to cater to the lowest common denominator of people with no video game talent whatsoever. Most veterans want at least somewhat of a challenge not an absolute breeze of a game. Maybe this game was hard for you? Or maybe you would rather just progress the story without feeling like you've actually accomplished something by getting that far?

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

My posts are brought to you by Chuckola Cola Drinks.

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

The game isn't that easy when you don't look at the gameplay aids. In saying that I can see why R* would add these things. I have to admit using the skip feature when failing over and over again.

meme43-300x225.jpg

• Miamivicecity likes this

MrSarif
  • MrSarif

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

The game was easy, it's true. I don't think I failed that many missions. I remember failing constantly in some of the previous games. Oh well, it didnt bother me. GTA V is still a wild ride.

StangOne50
  • StangOne50

BEAST

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

I agree the game was too easy BUT they made this way to cater to every fan . 

There are not different modes per say BUT in a way there are . 

For beginners you have the option of skipping missions that are too difficult . 

For intermediates you have the option of retrys if simply skipping missions is not challenging enough . 

For guys that want a challenge you have all the gold medals to go for . 

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:40 PM Edited by John The Grudge, 16 January 2014 - 03:48 PM.

I've never found a GTA game to be particularly difficult.  The suggestion that previous games required more skill is nonsense.  Actually now that there's the option to use free-aim, and with the improvements made to the artificial intelligence, I'd say GTA V provides the most satisfying challange in the series' history.  I have to aim at the target without the game doing it for me.  Enemies now move in a more logical and realistic manner than previous games.  Evading police now requires a little thought whereas in all previous GTAs you simply had to drive fast for a short distance.

GTA V is a much better game than all the previous GTAs.

• PedoneRosso likes this

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Secretly a GTA IV fanboy

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

This game is for little kids, just like all the rest of the crap coming out.

Oh yeah, that M rating just screams "Parents, come buy me for your 10 year olds!"

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

It does.

You're missing the point. The option to skip is a small part of the bigger picture which is the ENTIRE game is made to be too easy to cater to the lowest common denominator of people with no video game talent whatsoever. Most veterans want at least somewhat of a challenge not an absolute breeze of a game. Maybe this game was hard for you? Or maybe you would rather just progress the story without feeling like you've actually accomplished something by getting that far?

So the game was not made exclusively for you. Suck it up. Maybe try disabling every hud in existence and then never use special abilities and then also go for gold on every mission. Maybe then it'll satisfy you. But complaining that a game is too easy for other people is just stupid.

Crewnordin
  • Crewnordin

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

I completed San Andreas when I was 8 years old and completed Vice city when I was 10. How exactly were the previous games harder when we all completed it when we were kids(not all of us ofcourse). Give your 8 year old brother or sister this game and see if they can complete it easily. Maybe you just got better?

Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

I agree with OP.

But at the end of the day, I think it's about increasing their market to kids. Yes I know they aren't supposed to play it. But anyone who's played online will know that this isn't the case. Parents will buy their kids games to shut them up at the end of the day. I personally have owned all the GTA's since I was 8.

Now when kids go to school and they can't figure out the first few missions, keep crashing their cars, being gunned down by police before they can do anything (because of their inability to play). They aren't going to big up the game to their friends that much. But if they go and tell their friends about how they get away from cops, shoot hundreds of guys, complete the game etc etc, it makes all the kids on the playground want that sh*t. Which leads to "Mum mum! Buy me this!". You see where I'm going with this. Most Triple A titles have been getting increasingly forgiving towards sh*t gamers, Call of Duty is a great example. But at least they have a variety of difficulties..

Bitches_Brew
  • Bitches_Brew

Cowboy from Hell

• Members

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

It does.

So the game was not made exclusively for you. Suck it up. Maybe try disabling every hud in existence and then never use special abilities and then also go for gold on every mission. Maybe then it'll satisfy you. But complaining that a game is too easy for other people is just stupid.

on top of all that, only use a bicycle to travel. :lol:

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

This is stupid. GTA V has flaws, but the mission system is the best in the series yet.

You may say it isn't challenging, but this is a mainstream game, played by lots of people. If you want a challenging experience, just try and get gold medal on the missions and you'll see...

Rockstar DID give you the choice of being a somewhat casual gamer, who only completes the missions without minding the percentage, or some hardcore motherf*cker who gets every single gold medal in the game.

And don't tell me this isn't challenging, as some of the stuff that has to be done for a pure 100% is pretty f*cking hard.

Great Comment bro.

This is stupid. GTA V has flaws, but the mission system is the best in the series yet.

You may say it isn't challenging, but this is a mainstream game, played by lots of people. If you want a challenging experience, just try and get gold medal on the missions and you'll see...

Rockstar DID give you the choice of being a somewhat casual gamer, who only completes the missions without minding the percentage, or some hardcore motherf*cker who gets every single gold medal in the game.

And don't tell me this isn't challenging, as some of the stuff that has to be done for a pure 100% is pretty f*cking hard.

Great Comment bro.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users