» «
Photo

The Lack of Education in America

7 replies to this topic
Brazil301
  • Brazil301

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:51 AM Edited by Brazil301, 13 January 2014 - 05:54 PM.

Working in a terrible retail store, you get to see how dumb most of the general population is. It isn't just about the lack of intellect, but the lack of reading comprehension, I guess it's true that most Americans really only have about a 6th grade reading comprehension.  The education system values grades, over actually learning. When you put so much value into grades over whether you actually know something or not this is bound to happen. Everybody just becomes really good at cheating, but doesn't know the subject at all. How many B+ all the way to C- are really that grade when you think about how much cheating really goes on in all school levels. Do you know how many times at my job, I dumb down what I say because I know nobody understands what I'm going to say. I've never met more illiterate people in my life then as I have working retail. These are people in there 30s and 40s. Lets not forget about teenagers who still use the letter q instead of g for god knows what reason, but ratchets will be ratchets. So I'm going to post the monologue from the newsroom and really everyone should read this and think how true it really is.

The monologue starts after a female college student, watching a panel discussion on which Will McAvoy speaking alongside a liberal and a conservative pundit, asks the question “What makes America the greatest country in the world.” McAvoy hedges against answering the question, not wanting to take political sides, but is pressured by the moderator to answer, when he finally delivers the beautiful words that follow:

"It’s not the greatest country in the world professor, that’s my answer.

Sharon, the NEA is a loser, yeah, it accounts for a penny out of our paycheck but he gets to hit you with it any time he wants. It doesn’t cost money, it costs votes, it costs air time, it costs column inches. You know why people don’t like liberals? Because they lose. If liberals are so f*cking smart, how come they lose so god damn always?

*Turns to conservative pundit*

And with a straight face you’re going to tell students that America is so star spangled awesome that we’re the only ones in the world that have freedom? Canada has freedom. Japan has freedom. The UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Australia, BELGIUM has freedom.

So, 207 sovereign states in the world, like 180 of them have freedom.

And you, sorority girl, just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day there’s somethings you should know. One of them is there’s absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we’re the greatest country in the world. We’re 7th in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, 3rd in median household income, Number 4 in labor force and Number 4 in exports, we lead the world in only three categories: Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending where spend more than the next 26 countries combined, 25 of whom are allies.

Now none of this is the fault of a 20 year old college student, but you none the less are without a doubt a member of the worst period generation period ever period, so when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don’t know what the f*ck you’re talking about. Yosemite?

It sure used to be. We stood up for what was right. We fought for moral reasons. We passed laws, struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were and we never beat our chests. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases, and cultivated the world’s greatest artists and the world’s greatest economy. We reached for the stars, acted like men, we aspired to intelligence, we didn’t belittle it, it didn’t make us feel inferior.

We didn’t identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election and we didn’t scare so easy. We were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed, by great men, men who were revered. First step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one. America is not the greatest country in the world anymore. Enough?”

When you have people just content on getting, by and not thriving to be better this is what happens and what is happening.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

Ain't nothin' over til it's over.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

You cannot advertise your blog here or create posts just because you want people to read your blog. Instead, why not create a topic here with your continuous blog posts? You would receive a lot more feedback here from myself, Mokrie, Em, Ace, and others.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:44 PM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 13 January 2014 - 05:50 PM.

I think Brazil has misunderstood a previous conversation I've had with him. Indeed, you can not advertise your blog in a post. In your sig, as said, is fine. But if you have a piece of writing you want feedback on, then you have to post that in its entirety. That is, not posting just an extract. Post the entire story, and you'll get feedback. Some might click, some might not, so posting an extract will likely have people go "nah"
Post the whole thing and I know Ziggy will dive head-first into it, or if he doesnt, Aceray might or myself.

I'll leave this open in the hope that you will update it.

Brazil301
  • Brazil301

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

fixed it

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:06 AM

I think this probably belongs in D&D, but, I noticed the point about men we revere/explored the universe.

Have you heard of Carl Sagan? He is my inspiration, he is the reason why I want to explore the universe, or, at least inspire others to. 

I remember lying in my bed crying over how there is nothing like "magic". Then, I discovered science, and it's true Majesty.

But yes, I think because of the national dependence on mass media like reality TV shows or music that only centers on falling in love or basic things like my truck, it leads to this problem of a stupefied America. Hell, my dad only gets his info from fox news. He only excepts the "experts" views and does not actually do any research on the subjects they discuss himself, but just relies on which "expert" he thinks like the most. It's a terrible way to form an opinion.

That said, I guess I will have to find what the statistics are on TV watching. I just think the problem is people not thinking for themselves, entirely. Of course, you could say Carl Sagan blasted his brain into me...ugh...so many variables.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:45 AM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 14 January 2014 - 01:20 PM.

I'm split whether this is simply the rantings of some guy, or an actual work of writing.

I'm going to assume it's the latter.

I found myself thinking how little I see a characteristic narrator in stories. Nine times out of ten, it's the same, matter-of-fact narrator: Bob went here, bob did that. He thought it as right.
If this is not just a rambling rant, then i think it's pretty good. A few grammatical errors here and there - missing speech marks etc - and the odd spelling mistake, but the actual flow of writing was good. Most of all though, the one thing that i picked out of this, that i might have "learned" is as follows:

The narrative is cynical, angry even. Whether that's the actual narrative, or just the user's own thoughts, i can not tell. Either way, the idea in my head of a biased, opinionated, or cynical narrator is planted in my head. Whether this is made up, or just a blog, i don't know, but it's given me that idea.

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:05 PM Edited by Xboxless, 14 January 2014 - 04:13 PM.

I know what this is....

Not the greatest, but certainly the most influential.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

Education != intelligence. Everyone having college degrees won't suddenly make them more intelligent, it'll just make them idiots with a piece of paper saying they're qualified to do X and about $40k in debt. I do think that the actual educational programs we have in the country are complete sh*t, though. Pre-secondary schools do a pretty bad job at giving kids the fundamentals and colleges care more about making a dollar and keeping their inflated egos intact. And good movie :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users