» «
Photo

Microsoft reportedly planning Windows 9 release in April 2015

17 replies to this topic
ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:44 AM Edited by ZeeKid2k10, 13 January 2014 - 02:44 AM.

What your thoughts of the Next Generation of Windows which is coming next year maybe start of next gen technology  

The Verge understands Microsoft is also planning a Start menu return for Windows 9, but that the company may deliver this early in a second "Update 2" for Windows 8.1 later this year.

Build 2014 will set the vision for Windows 9

Microsoft will reportedly use three major milestone development points for Windows 9, but it’s not clear how many of them will be released to the public during the development period. The software maker is currently in the final planning stages for Windows 9 and work is expected to begin after the Build 2014 developer conference in April. It sounds like Microsoft will use Build 2014 as a launch point for its vision of Windows 9, detailing some of the planned changes in an attempt to generate excitement around the company’s future plans.

Windows certainly needs excitement, Windows 8-style apps, and innovation if Microsoft is to succeed with its vision of a hybrid tablet and desktop operating system. If Microsoft manages to pull off a Windows 9 release with significant improvements over Windows 8 then that may relegate Windows 8 to a Vista-like release in the minds of consumers. The company clearly isn’t confident with any continued use of the Windows 8 brand in the same way that Apple does with its OS X point releases. While there will be further tweaks to Windows 8.1 shortly, Windows 9 looks to be the next major release

read more...  http://www.theverge....pril-2015-rumor

Ivars
  • Ivars

HiiiPoWeR

• Members
  • Latvia

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

So they are going to rel new system every year like COD? Pfft...Most prob it's going to be same 8.1 with new interface...

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:26 AM

Not that 8/8.1 was largely different from 7 aside from the interface. :p

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

Wtf is a metro app....and why is my computer running apps and not programs...oh because it's designed to run on a phone. I'll give it a miss.

thehambone
  • thehambone

I swear, I thought she was my second cousin.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:53 AM

I really wish Microsoft would just revise the system entirely (update kernel) rather than just build on old crap. Windows has run on NT Kernel version 6.x since Vista!

If Microsoft manages to pull off a Windows 9 release with significant improvements over Windows 8 then that may relegate Windows 8 to a Vista-like release in the minds of consumers. The company clearly isn’t confident with any continued use of the Windows 8 brand in the same way that Apple does with its OS X point releases. While there will be further tweaks to Windows 8.1 shortly, Windows 9 looks to be the next major release

I've heard before that every other Windows release is meant to be considered a "major" release (fit for enterprise environments) while the ones in between are more home-oriented.

-Windows 2000 (Home)

-Windows XP (Enterprise)

-Windows Vista (Home)

-Windows 7(Enterprise)

-Windows 8/8.1 (Home)

-Windows 9 (Enterprise?)

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

2000 is considered a "home" release, and XP & 7 an "enterprise" release? WTF? :p
For entrerprise purposes there are Server editions of Windows (respectively: 2000 Server, 2003 & 2003 R2, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2).

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Remember the Windows pattern, guys!

sh*t->awesome->sh*t->awesome->repeat

We got sh*t with the last release, so we should be getting a really good OS this time around.

• Osho likes this

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:56 PM Edited by Stinky12, 16 January 2014 - 02:58 PM.

I thought winMe was the year 2000 release for home. Win2000 is more for workstation since it was the successor to winNT 4.0

Win8 is not that bad. If anyone can operate a smartphone or tablet, then the basic use, is similar to one another.
  • Osho likes this

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:12 PM Edited by yojo2, 16 January 2014 - 03:12 PM.

Well, technically Me was a home release while 2000 was aimed at other target group, even though the 2000 was a far better system in pretty much every aspect and could be used in home computers with no issues at all. 2000 was later slightly revamped and released as Windows XP.
IMHO Win2000 was just as good as XP (at the time of the release), I've absolutely loved it. But the first- and third-party support quickly died out after the release of XP.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

Windows 8 has been pissing me the f*ck off since I originally saw it. Seriously, what the f*ck, why can't there be like an 'original desktop' option or something. 
Like f*ck, I don't want a f*cking tablet display all the time, f*ck off.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

Windows 8 has been pissing me the f*ck off since I originally saw it. Seriously, what the f*ck, why can't there be like an 'original desktop' option or something. 

There is. You hit the Windows key and it brings you to the Windows 7-type desktop.

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:27 PM Edited by yojo2, 17 January 2014 - 05:31 PM.

All I can say is... lol, are you for real? The Modern UI is just a replacement for Menu Start, not the whole desktop. The desktop is still easily accessible and you can use the OS just like you would use Win7. How could one miss that?
Aside from Menu Start being replaced with Modern UI, the UI changes in Win8/8.1 are minimal compared to 7.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:08 AM Edited by F4L?, 18 January 2014 - 12:09 AM.

There is. You hit the Windows key and it brings you to the Windows 7-type desktop.

But don't you have to go back to the metro UI everytime you want to go back to anything that was in the start menu? that's what I am getting at. I do not understand why we cannot have a start button, it's so much simpler, rather than having to go all the way out of whatever it is you were doing to go and do something else. Unless you download one of those apps that changes it back to Win 7 style with a start menu.

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

Est. MMXV

• Zaibatsu
  • Italy
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:20 AM

Well, let's see if Microsoft improves this time around. Honestly, I think Windows 8 is a great operating system. Windows 9 could be even better.

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

But don't you have to go back to the metro UI everytime you want to go back to anything that was in the start menu? that's what I am getting at. I do not understand why we cannot have a start button, it's so much simpler, rather than having to go all the way out of whatever it is you were doing to go and do something else. Unless you download one of those apps that changes it back to Win 7 style with a start menu.

You have to go to the Modern UI only to run an app, then you get sent back to desktop and you can use the app. Unless you're talking about Modern Apps (or whatever they're called).

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

In W8 you can play old games with no compatibility issues. It automatically sets the compatibility to the executable file you are trying to open.

I am very happy with W8. No problems at all. Also, another happy customer of Lumia phones too. So, all in all, it's terrific in every aspect.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:39 PM Edited by Vlynor, 18 January 2014 - 08:40 PM.

For some things you do, yeah. I keep all of the important things on my desktop (My Computer, Documents, Games, Chrome, etc.) You can put programs and all that on the desktop so you never have to go into the Metro UI except when logging on. I find the UI to be much more fluid than Windows 7. If I need a program I don't have on my desktop, I just hit the Windows key and start typing. Say if I need the calculator, I hit the windows key, type 'calc' and hit enter, and there's the calculator. Hitting the key doesn't close anything you had up previously, just minimizes it. 

It's really simple and I prefer it to 7. It's an odd transition, though.

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

Mince
  • Mince

Mnage trois

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:55 PM Edited by Mince, 21 January 2014 - 06:57 PM.

I've been using Windows 8 since December of 2012. The Start Screen is garbage. Being taken out of the desktop environment (or otherwise having to minimize all your windows) every time you need to search or launch a program becomes a nuisance after around the fifth time. Being unable to drag shortcuts and programs to and from the Start Screen, as well as being unable to customize the shortcuts or change their size (as if it were an Explorer window) means that it essentially is something from a tablet OS. No compatibility or shared traits = not from the same OS. I thought I had finally learned all of the many tricks needed to properly use the modern UI whenever I was forced to, but then they released Windows 8.1 and for whatever reason changed pretty much everything related to using Metro on a desktop. Thanks Microsoft.

For some time I kept using the dock program that I had used for years with XP and 7, as you can see here. I even tried putting a Shutdown and Restart shortcut on the dock. Sadly, that didn't work too well when I kept moving my mouse to the bottom right of the screen and accidentally hitting Shutdown. Since around August I have used Classic Shell. It's an excellent Start Menu replacement that is available at no charge and can be customized exponentially more than any menu Microsoft has ever provided. I wouldn't use Windows 8 without it.

In terms of what is in store for Windows, I do find it funny how the list of everything that Microsoft did to "breathe new life" into our PC's is being undone.

Can't boot to desktop - fixed

Have to use predetermined hot corner for Start Screen - fixed

Start Screen has no relation to the desktop environment - slightly fixed with a few more customization options

No Start Menu option - will be fixed according to rumor

Can't run modern UI apps in a window on WINDOWS - will be fixed according to rumor

Modern UI apps being the future of Windows in general - rumor has it that Microsoft is ditching Metro

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users