Photo

is it worth getting?

147 replies to this topic
JEFFF
  • JEFFF

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:14 AM

I have the ps2 version and i want the pc my question is there much difference in verisons? If there is please let me know what it is that makes the difference.

F-s-X
  • F-s-X

Kaikei, Chi Shingi Meiyo

• Members

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:15 AM

Well on the PC you can download mods and that is the only big differance, and the controls.

JEFFF
  • JEFFF

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:19 AM

i heard about a mod that you can play online with is there such thing?

F-s-X
  • F-s-X

Kaikei, Chi Shingi Meiyo

• Members

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:35 AM

yes there is, you can look at the modding forums and you will find one of them.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:47 AM

There's no real gameplay differences, the only real thing is the graphics and modding ablities including online gameplay which at the moment is in its early stages and not quite avaible to use yet.

Cartoon Corpse
  • Cartoon Corpse

Cartoon Corp

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:17 PM

i quit ps2 version at 20% cause of the wonky controller (auto) targeting thing. i LOVE the pc version just like i LOVED vice city. im having a blast. plus my graphics are nicer, though i only got to SF on ps2.

so if controller issues are a priority, then i say get the pc version! and if not get it anyway. rockstar needs cash! so they can crank out even more gaming goodness!

i have both ps2 and pc vice city, SA and never finished the ps2 versions of either.

actually i got 2 copies of SA for PC by mistake!

5k313370r
  • 5k313370r

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

I have the money, and I am wondering, is PC SA any good?

ArturP
  • ArturP

The Mafia from Poland

• Members

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:15 PM

Theoreticaly it's the same as on PS2 and XBOX but there are some bugs and problems.

PC Port
Much like earlier Grand Theft Auto games, some PC users have strongly criticized Rockstar for not substantially reworking the console-based controls for the mouse/keyboard computer gaming. Many users have discovered that a mission requires the user to press three or more keys at the same time, something the typical keyboard is simply unable to do. The best way to solve this problem is to use a PlayStation 2-style USB joypad. This way, the console-based controls can easily be mapped to joypad buttons. The resulting gameplay is virtually identical to the PS2 version.

The most salient example of this issue is in the mandatory flying-oriented missions. In one of the most infamous missions in the series, the player must circle an airfield. Because the mission was designed for a console game, some PC users believe that three hands are typically required to complete the mission under a mouse/keyboard setup: one to control the camera, one to control the plane, and one to control commands such as landing gears, weapons, and precise flying controls. However, most people should be able to effectively fly a plane with the default controls after some practice, as they will rarely need to control the camera in mid-flight. Some will require the joypad however and in any case, being able to control the camera effectively such as with a joypad is likely to make the mission easier for many players.

Another example is in the "Vertical Bird" mission, near the end of the game. The player must fly an extremely fast plane, aim and fire missiles at 4 ships and 3 armed aircraft, launch countermeasures, and then land the plane safely. Some are finding that, without another person to control one or more aspects of the plane, the mission is essentially impossible. While some have completed this mission by remapping the entire control scheme, some players have found that the effects of "key jam" - the inability of a keyboard to understand more than 3 simultaneous keys - preclude this as a viable option. However, this mission is often exaggerated in difficulty as well. It is fairly simple to take each of these targets individually - the difficulty occurs when you attempt to do them all at once and in the wrong order. In addition, launching countermeasures is usually an unneeded feature, as missiles are easy to shake off. The aiming of your weapons is also automatic provided you press a certain key, which locks on to the target. For the ships, you can switch to VTOL mode so as to hover while destroying them.

One mission, "Stowaway", is impossible on many PCs unless video quality is dropped to the lowest setting (640x480, 16-bit color), as the plane will otherwise always leave the runway well before you reach it. The mission can be completed without that: If you start your bike and thrust CJ back, so the bike can accellerate on the back wheel - you should have no problems getting on the plane. Even if the plane "jumps" up the runway. A similar problem also exists in missions that require dancing or lowrider car bouncing. Unless the resolution is set to minimum, the visual cues for when to move will be out of synch, so rendering success or failure a matter of luck.

Another performance issue with San Andreas is that the game engine is not efficient at producing smoke effects. As a result, the frame rate can drop dramatically when you are in a situation where fire is present. The most noticeable missions in which this is apparent are the mission where you have to rescue a girl from a burning building, and the final story mission of the game which takes place in a torched factory. This mission is made more frustrating as you are being attacked at the time.

A new criticism of San Andreas lies in its camera. Previous editions of GTA games had the camera 'slaved' to the player. In San Andreas, however, the camera is freeform. As such, a number of players have complained that this new 'feature' makes much of the controls more complex than is required. There is an in-game cheat that allows players to drive-by through using the mouse camera, but doing so will harm your record in the in-game statistics. However, you can still fully complete the game. However other's feel the freeform camera is a very powerful tool once the player is used to using it, and some find it difficult to go back to the fixed camera of Vice City and GTA3 afterwards.

Although some gaming websites like GameSpot have praised the graphics in San Andreas, there is some criticism of the graphical aspect of the PC version of the game. The engine used for the game is essentially the same as the engine used for Grand Theft Auto III. When the game came out for PC in early June 2005, titles such as Half-Life 2 were already available. Compared to what was possible at that time, the game looked slightly dated, but nevertheless better than the console versions.

Mxyzptlk
  • Mxyzptlk

Misanthropic

• Members

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:43 PM

If you don't own SA already, get it for PC version 1, from eBay or somewhere.

5k313370r
  • 5k313370r

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:44 PM

Sounds average... but there are mods, plus I could get a controller.

:]]
  • :]]

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:02 PM

just finished vice city and now i was wondering, is SA worth getting? turn.gif

bagga rabbit
  • bagga rabbit

***M2D***

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:09 PM

Yes.

Boombastic
  • Boombastic

Prankster

• Members

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

How dare you ask such a question!

Tyler Joyal
  • Tyler Joyal

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:20 PM

definitely the best GTA ever

xNamexTakenx
  • xNamexTakenx

Demonik

• Members

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:39 PM

Hell, yeah! When I played VC, I thought it was the best GTA. However, that was before I played SA. When I played SA, I thought it was the best game for PS2! And I still do! Definitely, you should get it.

The Night Fox
  • The Night Fox

I can resist everything but temptation

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (Tyler Joyal @ Dec 14 2007, 20:20)
definitely the best GTA ever

I fully agree, Vice City is a classic but San Andreas RULES!!!!

I strongly recommend you run out to your nearest store and Buy it, seriously, you will not want to switch off the Console or PC for months. colgate.gif

Stink_Fist
  • Stink_Fist

Goo Goo G'Joob

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

Two words mate:

F*ck yes!

!!GC!!
  • !!GC!!

-Street Racer-

• Members

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:56 PM

SA is the best GTA made so far. That will change when IV comes out IMO

BixDugan
  • BixDugan

Thug

• Members

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:39 PM

Good luck getting that Russian version, BTW...

Tyler Joyal
  • Tyler Joyal

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:22 PM

I got mine off ebay for like 10 bucks. Now I want the PC version since there are so much mods! colgate.gif

*C-Note*
  • *C-Note*

Original Gangster

• Members

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:39 PM

OF COURSE!
LOL biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

Alrighty then. thank you. i will go and get it sometime next week. turn.gif

0mfg0rz
  • 0mfg0rz

How may I further De-grade myself Sir?

• Members

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

Wtf.

You don't even need to ask if it is worth getting any GTA.

GTA's are GTA's, which is just an obvious reason to buy them smile.gif .

*C-Note*
  • *C-Note*

Original Gangster

• Members

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (0mfg0rz @ Dec 15 2007, 17:42)
Wtf.

You don't even need to ask if it is worth getting any GTA.

GTA's are GTA's, which is just an obvious reason to buy them smile.gif .

Touche.
GTA=GTA
It just screams:"BUY ME! BUY ME!" biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:54 AM

turn.gif

HolyGrenadeFrenzy
  • HolyGrenadeFrenzy

drrnage E ih unarEy

• Members

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:06 AM Edited by HolyGrenadeFrenzy, 18 December 2007 - 02:09 AM.

QUOTE ( smile.gif
],Dec 15 2007, 11:54] Alrighty then.  thank you. i will go and get it sometime next week. turn.gif

I actually envy your sorry @555 self right now.

To go back and do it all over again. sigh.gif

I can still taste that,"YOu just racked me" taste though, dude. confused.gif

EDIT:
just finished vice city and now i was wondering, is SA worth getting? 

Be careful asking things like that...it gives some of us whiplash!

guilty.by.association
  • guilty.by.association

яαωя

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (:]] @ Dec 15 2007, 09:02)
just finished vice city and now i was wondering, is SA worth getting? turn.gif

Yes wholey sh*t you haven't seen nothing yet

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:50 AM

Of course it's worth to get the best selling game for PS2, that's map is 4x larger than Vice City without loading screens between cities, faster loading screens, manual shooting with all guns, better aiming in my opinion, faster vehicles, more vehicles, many flyable planes and helicopters, boats, higher elevation, jetpack, parachute, swimming, learning new moves, eating to survive, fat, muscle, sex appeal, weapon and driving skill, customizable character with a lot more choices, OMG, OMG, OMFG. Do I have to go on?

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:07 AM

GET GTA:SA noooooooooow!

when it has GTA you gotta get it

Judge_David
  • Judge_David

Gansta Judge

• Members

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:30 AM

you will also have a f*cking blast with the story too, its quite good smile.gif OMG and you wont fall of your bike when you lean back and do flips! wow.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users