Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why did R* neglect Gangs/Bikers so much In V's SP?

72 replies to this topic
Immigration
  • Immigration

420 Warrior

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

Los Santos is based on L.A for god's sake, and L.A is basically the Gang capital of the world. 

Biker Gangs and Street Gangs should have played a more prominent role in V.  It's what the people wanted. 

Why did R* drop the ball on Bikers And Street Gangs? 

Someone explain to me, because i just don't understand it. 

Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

They focused more on heists and such, I think.

You still have a nice share of gangs in this game, like 10 or something.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

It's simple: they didn't. 

There are bikers all over the place, and there are areas of the city where if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, you'll be surrounded by an angry gang shooting at you.  Also, Online has a lot of missions involving gangs too.

LosKnightsTemplar
  • LosKnightsTemplar

Grand Master

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Play gang attacks, you'll see there are biker gangs out there..

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

Proud GTA/Nintendo Fanboy

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

Maybe because Rockstar doesn't like the Biker/Gang storyline. This might explain their treatment to Johnny K.

Also, you already have 2 Gta stories about Gangs, Tlad and SA.

• Immigration likes this

Immigration
  • Immigration

420 Warrior

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

They focused more on heists and such, I think.

You still have a nice share of gangs in this game, like 10 or something.

Yeah but they are so boring, they don't even do drive-bys, fight other rival gangs, or carjack people. 

They are armed statues. R* could have put more effort into them. 

Plank.
  • Plank.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

DLC. The gangs are there. There's just nothing mission-related to do with them.

Yet.

• LiquidNitrogen likes this

Immigration
  • Immigration

420 Warrior

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

It's simple: they didn't. 

There are bikers all over the place, and there are areas of the city where if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, you'll be surrounded by an angry gang shooting at you.  Also, Online has a lot of missions involving gangs too.

Where are these areas? 

Play gang attacks, you'll see there are biker gangs out there..

I don't play multiplayer, i'm referring to single player. They completely ignored them. 

• iainspad likes this

iainspad
  • iainspad

Souled Out to The New World Order

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:05 PM Edited by iainspad, 11 January 2014 - 10:06 PM.

Each of these games has a focus, and gangs wasn't the one for this game.

Compare to how Vice City was rising to the top of the criminal underworld, while San Andreas had the gang focus, and IV had its focus on an immigrant moving up in a corrupt city. V's main one was the almighty dollar, obviously.

I don't play multiplayer, i'm referring to single player. They completely ignored them. 

Stay around too long in the wrong place in Single Player, and you'll have bullets blazing at you.

Hang around Grove Street and see what happens if you piss the Ballas off.

• John Smith likes this

Immigration
  • Immigration

420 Warrior

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

DLC. The gangs are there. There's just nothing mission-related to do with them.

Yet.

Lol if R* even thinks about making a Gang DLC i'll throw my ps3 copy out my window. That's just pure greed. 

Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

Stab City, Hookies and north of Downtown Cab Co.

• iainspad likes this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

We saw the Ballas, the Families, and The Lost. They were the central point to some missions. The central focus of the game were the heists, though, so it wouldn't make sense to focus so much attention to them.

• MiamiViceCity and John Smith like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

Well it's because Gangs aren't really fighting each other, their main objective is money. They're not there to gaing territory or fight each other this days, this inst the 90's anymore. They all have the common objective and that is to get money.

Plus, this game ins't really about gang-banging. There is a product called GRAND THEFT AUTO SAN ANDREAS for the PS2, the original Xbox & PC for those who want gang banging to be the highlight.

Also Gang bangers have their own set of animations such as their own hand signals and they shout out the name of their sets.

• John Smith and SwingingSpidey like this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

Where are these areas? 

Basically, wherever you hear someone say something to the effect that you don't belong there, that's usually a gang area.
Grove Street is (as iainspad says) and example of this, and DutchGangsta has posted a few more.  Depending on who you're playing as and where you are, gangs will either attack a little while after telling you the leave, or pretty much on sight (e.g. Trevor passing Hookies) or after you aim at a gang member or jack a car in a gang area.

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

frickie van hardenburgs best buddy friend

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

yeah screw gang dlc lets has moar scripted working for the fib missions.

Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:21 PM Edited by DutchGangsta, 11 January 2014 - 10:22 PM.

There's also a deal between Marabunda Grande members going down by the sewers, by the river. Also Rancho is territory to the Marabunta Grande and the Vagos. And some parts of Vespucci too.

There's also the Korean Mob in Little Seoul, but they don't show up much often.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

Each of these games has a focus, and gangs wasn't the one for this game.

Compare to how Vice City was rising to the top of the criminal underworld, while San Andreas had the gang focus, and IV had its focus on an immigrant moving up in a corrupt city. V's main one was the almighty dollar, obviously.

Stay around too long in the wrong place in Single Player, and you'll have bullets blazing at you.

Hang around Grove Street and see what happens if you piss the Ballas off.

We saw the Ballas, the Families, and The Lost. They were the central point to some missions. The central focus of the game were the heists, though, so it wouldn't make sense to focus so much attention to them.

Pretty much everything ^these guys are saying.

Some people just seem to have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that this game isn't about all that stuff. The fact it's set in a fictional rendition of L.A. is irrelevant. We already had a game that took place in Los Santos, and that whole game dedicated its theme towards that stuff; move on. 

I myself love all the mafia/wiseguy stuff, and find it very intriguing indeed, yet I don't complain about the lack of it in every GTA title. Sure one of our three protags is affiliated with that stuff; and sure, his trailer may have sold off an impression that gangs were going to play a prominent role in this game, but that doesn't change the fact that R* were clearly advertising this game's predominant theme being heists and such.

• iainspad likes this

ESClassic
  • ESClassic

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

This is gran theft auto. Every game that's been made has an abundance of gangs through your every part of the city in every game starting from day 1, regardless of the theme of the game, EVERY GAME HAD THEM! Except V. Not really any.

I'm sorry, but te gangs (regardless of it being mafia, street gangs, yakuza etc) have always been one of the things I most looked forward to these games, and I've been satisfied with gang presence in each gta, except this one.

Don't get me wrong, still a good game, but eh.
  • Official General likes this

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

This is gran theft auto. Every game that's been made has an abundance of gangs through your every part of the city in every game starting from day 1, regardless of the theme of the game, EVERY GAME HAD THEM! Except V. Not really any.

I'm sorry, but te gangs (regardless of it being mafia, street gangs, yakuza etc) have always been one of the things I most looked forward to these games, and I've been satisfied with gang presence in each gta, except this one.

Don't get me wrong, still a good game, but eh.

there are gangs, they are just not the main focus of the game.

Peck R. Wood
  • Peck R. Wood

rural crime lord & pastor

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

The fact that V focused more on heists doesn't excuse R* for giving gangs/mobs an insignificant role in free roaming.

One thing does not erase the rest.

We could have heists, FIB and all...while being able to feel part of a better designed underworld.

Look at the Armenians for crying out loud! One of the most interesting mob (first time ever in a video game) got literally segregated to a scrapyard.
I have to thank this forum for pointing me to them.

Same with the Marabunta Grande, Triads and Koreans.

Couldn't care less about bikers, after TLAD I'm through with them.

I was suprised to see the Lost instead of the AOD since that the latter are a West Coast club.

Again: I love the heist-themed game, but the lack of a proper engaging underbelly it's dissapointing.

And please note that no one is implying that it should be a gang simulator, but a portrayal of an engaging underworld featuring all layers of criminal life and the power that comes with it.

I could not care less about mindless gang-banging, "cappin' OGs" with not actual gain.

But imagine dealing with a criminal economy, something evolved from the (great) drug-trade system featured in Chinatown Wars.

Now that would be awesome.

So far, the only game who gave me the true feeling of being part of an alive underworld was EA's Godfather 1, with all the criminal and money-generating side-activities and perks you could gain from them.
Every action caused a reaction.

GTA 4 featured a well-designed and diverse set of criminal organizations: from small street crews (Albanians, Irish) to large syndicates (the Mafia Commision, Faustin-Rascalov bratva).
Too bad they played almost no role in free roaming.

GTA 5 is just like that, if not even a step backward.
Which is shameful.

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

I do think some people on the forum need to get it into their heads that it simply wasn't the story they wanted to tell this time. They've done gangs before, in fact everyone's done gangs, it's been overdone to the point where exploring that theme is just a little bit boring. The story they chose was three men working together in pursuit of the almighty dollar through less than legitimate means, so they come across gangs every now and again and the city is dotted with gang areas realistically, but they just aren't the focal point of the story this time. 

ESClassic
  • ESClassic

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:18 AM

The fact that V focused more on heists doesn't excuse R* for giving gangs/mobs an insignificant role in free roaming.

One thing does not erase the rest.

We could have heists, FIB and all...while being able to feel part of a better designed underworld.

Look at the Armenians for crying out loud! One of the most interesting mob (first time ever in a video game) got literally segregated to a scrapyard.
I have to thank this forum for pointing me to them.

Same with the Marabunta Grande, Triads and Koreans.

Couldn't care less about bikers, after TLAD I'm through with them.

I was suprised to see the Lost instead of the AOD since that the latter are a West Coast club.

Again: I love the heist-themed game, but the lack of a proper engaging underbelly it's dissapointing.

And please note that no one is implying that it should be a gang simulator, but a portrayal of an engaging underworld featuring all layers of criminal life and the power that comes with it.

I could not care less about mindless gang-banging, "cappin' OGs" with not actual gain.

But imagine dealing with a criminal economy, something evolved from the (great) drug-trade system featured in Chinatown Wars.

Now that would be awesome.

So far, the only game who gave me the true feeling of being part of an alive underworld was EA's Godfather 1, with all the criminal and money-generating side-activities and perks you could gain from them.
Every action caused a reaction.

GTA 4 featured a well-designed and diverse set of criminal organizations: from small street crews (Albanians, Irish) to large syndicates (the Mafia Commision, Faustin-Rascalov bratva).
Too bad they played almost no role in free roaming.

GTA 5 is just like that, if not even a step backward.
Which is shameful.

This exactly.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:18 AM

We already got two Gang theme games for that OP,GTA:San Andreas(African-American Gang Culture) and TLaD(Outlaw Bikers)which was almost like SoA(i am talking about the latter)and again GTA 5 is about the Dollar it written all over the 5 logo.

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

• Members

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

armenians might have somewhat of an involvement in future dlc or next gen gta

in the random event where you go back to simeon's dealership, simeon is scripted to escape and you can kill two of his armenian bodyguards so he's definitely associated with the armenian mob if not a former mobster himself. Maybe he too was trying to leave behind the life of a hoodlum which could explain why franklin got along so well with simeon like father like son relationship.

Franklin needs to finish his sh*t with simeon or better yet have the armenians/simeon shoot up his house and leave a very nasty letter on the front steps in chop's blood.

ESClassic
  • ESClassic

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:25 AM

We already got two Gang theme games for that OP,GTA:San Andreas(African-American Gang Culture) and TLaD(Outlaw Bikers)which was almost like SoA(i am talking about the latter)and again GTA 5 is about the Dollar it written all over the 5 logo.

Yea the game is about the all mighty dollar. Yea the theme is about 3 people coming together to rob sh*t and get rich everyway possible. That's all fine and dandy, nothing wrong with that what so ever. Most of the people wantin gangs aren't saying to make the whole game based on gangs, but more so have these gangs there as features or to bring more interest into the world instead of a city/desert/countryside full of worthless pedestrians that offer no sort of entertainment other than being targets.

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

• Members

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

I enjoy driving around in Blaine County and it's fun to go exploring while watching out for moutain lions haha but overall it's much better than the city of los santos, I've walked around and it feels so bland i mean sure you got the occassional cop car chases but other than it's a very drab place to be, gangs stay territorial and cops are a rarity nothing really going on the random events are one time events and this game is not red dead redemption or GTAIV lol. I've been spoiled.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

Yea the game is about the all mighty dollar. Yea the theme is about 3 people coming together to rob sh*t and get rich everyway possible. That's all fine and dandy, nothing wrong with that what so ever. Most of the people wantin gangs aren't saying to make the whole game based on gangs, but more so have these gangs there as features or to bring more interest into the world instead of a city/desert/countryside full of worthless pedestrians that offer no sort of entertainment other than being targets.

Alright bro,i get what you saying.Tbh the NPCs are supercial,they are threads for that and i also started a thread for that.the gangs have their territories i.e.Davis(Ballas),Rancho(Vagos),Vespecci Beach(Marabunta) etc and i love their custom animations or their discussions.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:58 AM

I'm thinking R* made a serious mistake with TLAD. They should've waited until they got to an LA setting and drew heavy inspiration from Sons Of Anarchy.

I must it admit whilst I love TLAD I have a hard time picturing bikers cruising around the streets of LC.

• DeafMetal likes this

Mr Oraange
  • Mr Oraange

shriek

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:32 AM Edited by Mr Oraange, 12 January 2014 - 01:35 AM.

Gangs in Grand Theft Auto V

Armenian Mafia • Aztecas • Ballas • Families • Lost Brotherhood • Korean Mob • Madrazo Cartel • Marabunta Grande • Triads • Vagos • O'Neil Brothers

Gangs in Grand Theft Auto IV

Gambetti Crime Family • Pavano Crime Family • Messina Crime Family• Lupisella Crime Family • Ancelotti Crime Family • Pegorino Crime Family • Petrovic Family • Faustin Family • Korean Mob • Jaoming Family • Lee Family • Ming Family •Albanians • Angels of Death • The Lost Brotherhood • Uptown Riders • North Holland Hustlers • M.O.B • East Holland Drug Gang • Yardies • McReary Crime Family • Jewish Mob • Spanish Lords • Northwood Dominican Drug Dealers

Gangs were greatly toned down in Grand Theft Auto V.

• MiamiViceCity, Woll Smoth and pilscy like this

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

I loved the fact that the Lost returned as enemies. They could have made that Franklin and Lamar were Ballas members and the Families were the bad guys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users