2014's Best wireless gaming router to buy

4 replies to this topic
esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'm looking into finally getting a new wireless router for my home. I usually run around 3 smartphones everday, an Xbox One, we now have 3 blu ray players that will be tapping into as well. We usually don't run more than one blu ray at a time, but we do run the phones usaully at the same time, the Xbox One too and maybe one blu ray player, all at the same time.

I looked online but the mixed reviews are so confussing. One site says this router is the best while another says that router is terrible and I shouldn't buy it. I am pretty much lost on the matter.

I need one with excellent range. I have a five year old Linksys router that does do the job now. I think I paid around $70 for it. But I would like to have more speed for my Xbox One that is the furthest away from my router. (Its upstairs in my Man Cave). I am willing to pay up to $200 dollars as well.

I keep seeing this new  Linksys EA6900 AC1900 Smart Wi-Fi Wireless Router for having fast speeds. But I'm no tech on routers. Here are the specs on it.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

• Model: Linksys EA6900
  • Technology: Wireless-N & AC
  • Bands: 2.4 & 5 GHz
  • Transmit/Receive: 3x3
  • Antennas: External antennas
  • Ports: 4 x Gigabit LAN, 1 x Gigabit WAN, 1 x USB 2.0 + 1x USB3.0
  • Power Switch: Power on and off switch
  • Wi-Fi Protected Setup: Wi-Fi Protected Setup push button
  • LEDS:Power, Ethernet LAN, Internet, WPS
  • Software: Linksys Smart Wi-Fi: Setup guest access, Manage parental controls, Advanced network settings
  • Setup: CD-Less Setup
  • Warranty: 1 year hardware limited warranty
  • OS compatibility:Windows, Mac
  • Wireless:IEEE/802.11 a/b/g/n/draft ac, Simultaneous Dual Band 2.4 and 5 GHz, WEP,WPA/WPA2-Mixed, WPA2-Personal, WPA2- Enterprise, Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) support
  • IPv6 support: Native IPv6 and 6rd support

This is just one that keeps standing out but like I said I'm no tech. I'm willing to buy any brand. Your feedback is greatly apprieciated. Your helping a guy out that lives with his wife, mother in law and grandmother in law along with my awesome son. The time in the Man Cave is key to my survival on this planet. Please help.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Here is a brand new router

http://reviews.cnet....7-35833876.html

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

If at all possible-- I'd run a wired connection.

If not possible, you might want to consider is an extender (repeater)- there are some stand alone routers but also some routers can be used for this-- it connects to your main router and then rebroadcasts the wifi signal-- this might help with range but I have no idea if it would work with a gaming console since it might cause lag (you would probably want to investigate this).

I've noticed at my house that my G band has slightly better range then my N band when I connect with my phone to my wifi network-- on the far side of my house away from my router my phone will sometimes drop my N band.

I'm not up on my routers-- maybe consumer reports has rated them.... I do like how they test and compare things.

PC Mag reviews  http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/routers

Not sure how up to date it is.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

poisonrain
  • poisonrain

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

I found this useful  http://www.bestroute...uter-for-gaming

Nearly bought the Asus 68U until I read that.

PR

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users