Quantcast

» «
Photo

Did the open map work for you?

65 replies to this topic

Poll: Did the open map work for you? (145 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you like the open map from the start?

1. Yes (116 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. No (29 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Did you like the clouded map?

1. Yes (76 votes [52.41%])

Percentage of vote: 52.41%

2. No (69 votes [47.59%])

Percentage of vote: 47.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

Of course it's happened, but it doesn't happen very often. 

whenever I get a good cruise going on in my car and I accidentally make a bad turn or fly out of control

This makes it sound like every single car you've ever gotten into!

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

Of course it's happened, but it doesn't happen very often. 

whenever I get a good cruise going on in my car and I accidentally make a bad turn or fly out of control

This makes it sound like every single car you've ever gotten into!

Your profile pic is just like my pug every time I put something on the small table, just wanted to say that.

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

Panz
  • Panz

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:56 PM Edited by Panz, 10 January 2014 - 01:57 PM.

Ah, I meant it more literally..like flying in the air out of control, aha. There have been some weird instances, though. I've had a car hit me and explode on impact similarly to in this video:

Sorry for the off-topic. The map is pretty. :)

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

A lot of people were, if I recall correctly, pissed when San An came out and they found that any attempt to explore other cities at the beginning of the game results in 5 stars and almost certain death. 

The same was true for IV. We all wanted to see that new map and take a good look at an HD GTA. 

R* addressed that, and now people want it how it was before?

R* must love us all very much, when we completely flip flop on what we want. Just like everything else that's been changed since IV - people complained about it then, but now say it was better how it was. Gamers just can not be satisfied. 

Unless you have proof that the people who complained about it then are the people complaining about it now, I don't see the problem. A lot of people play Grand Theft Auto. A lot. It's natural that not everyone is going to be satisfied, and judging from this forum the people who have a problem with something are a lot more vocal than the people who are satisfied with the same thing.

Deadman2112
  • Deadman2112

<i> C U, you filthy shoe thieving shoe thief!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:45 PM Edited by Deadman2112, 11 January 2014 - 12:58 PM.

I like the open map idea

but in the end the recreation of San Andreas sucked
I thought they did a great job with the recreation of Liberty City in keeping it rather close to the original layout

don't get me wrong the overall look and feel of GTA 5 I thought was great but failed terribly in the recreation of the three islands that corresponded with the original San Andreas

if they were too lazy to do it all in the first place they should have created it and called it a totally new city
but that's just my opinion

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

I like the open map idea

but in the end the recreation of San Andreas sucked
I thought they did a great job with the recreation of Liberty City in keeping it rather close to the original layout
but failed terribly in the recreation of this game in the recreation of the three islands that corresponded with the original San Andreas

I don't think this is supposed to be a recreation of the whole of San Andreas, just Los Santos and the areas surrounding it. And I can see several familiar land marks in GTA V, whereas I don't think there are any simularities between III and IV's Liberty City.

Deadman2112
  • Deadman2112

<i> C U, you filthy shoe thieving shoe thief!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:54 PM Edited by Deadman2112, 14 January 2014 - 07:12 AM.

I don't think this is supposed to be a recreation of the whole of San Andreas, just Los Santos and the areas surrounding it. And I can see several familiar land marks in GTA V, whereas I don't think there are any simularities between III and IV's Liberty City.

I will agree with you in that aspect but the overall shape and layout of the map in Liberty City was very similar to the original referring to the fact that it had three islands
if they weren't going to recreate that with San Andreas then they should have never touched it in the first place

for example the satellite array was never on the first island
But yet they moved to this one
if they truly were planning on only recreating the first island from SA then they should have left things like that completely out of it including the military base

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

I didn't mind the unlocked map. I actually never went too far out and only stayed in the city with Michael and Franklin until Trevor's first mission. I only went places that seemed like it fit with the story at the time.

As for the clouded map. That was horrible, I mean utterly garbage. First, why the hell do the protagonists in GTA V not know the layout of their own city. Michael lived there for 9 years. Trevor was there for many years as well. Franklin was born and raised there. Yet Niko already knows all of Liberty City even though he is an immigrant. Second, why cloud it when you get of real map of it with every copy of the game? I have not gotten the achievement for the full map because I only go where it fits the story of the characters and missions. That and after I beat the story, I just start a new game. I hate after game free roaming, it's so boring. I need story, plot, reason!

MMC_BITW
  • MMC_BITW

Nobody Interesting

• Members
  • Maldives

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

The map was really intriguing since the first time I played the game. Really impressed.

As for the cloud map, I would say it didn't really bothered me. Though I agree it made searching for the collectibles harder.

TripleRob
  • TripleRob

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

Clouded map was solved when i took a plane and flew all over, it was cleared up pretty quick.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

and just as a side note did you like the clouded map?

Honestly I hated it. It made the map look ugly as hell having these blotches of clouded patches everywhere which in turn made it difficult for finding collectibles and pinpointing their locations. I hope it never returns.

BUT that's a San Andreas feature, and I thought San Andreas was the best GTA ever according to this forum. :p

Also, this feature is also on the iOS/Android version of San Andreas to, with the map being darkened in the areas you haven't been to yet, so that's San Andreas, GTAV and San Andreas Mobile that have it, seems it might be a sticking feature.

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

I'd say it was just fine to me. It didn't feel any different because I took my time exploring the map. I didn't even check out the northern half until Trevor was unlocked, didn't see Paleto Bay until the first mission there, etc. 

To me, it still felt like the map was being unlocked through the story. 

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

Vice City ain't a Nice City

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

A lot of people were, if I recall correctly, pissed when San An came out and they found that any attempt to explore other cities at the beginning of the game results in 5 stars and almost certain death. 

The same was true for IV. We all wanted to see that new map and take a good look at an HD GTA. 

R* addressed that, and now people want it how it was before?

R* must love us all very much, when we completely flip flop on what we want. Just like everything else that's been changed since IV - people complained about it then, but now say it was better how it was. Gamers just can not be satisfied. 

Exactly, GTA fans are probably the most hypocritical fans out there. When R* address the fans' concerns, the community blasts R*. "We hate the map, we hate the driving, we hate the story, we hate 3 characters, we realize after 5 years IV is the best GTA, we hate the limited amount os activities in V (wtf), we hate V because we don't know wth we want." Yeah, R8 has better things to do than to cater to every whim of every GTA fan. People hate V's story because it's "not as great as other GTA's". Cmon, GTA V has one of the best storylines of any video game (except RDR and IV), yet people are never satisified. Honestly, if people hate V this much, they don't deserve anything better. Bunch of self-entitled pricks who overhype the game for themselves and get disspointed because the driving "feels arcadey". WTF is that supposed to mean? Isn't it enough that you can drive from point A to point B? 

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Cool, cool cool cool. Pew.

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

I actually didn't visit the rest of the map until Trevor was playable, so I guess it was kinda "locked" for me so I did not mind it all. :)

Also, the fogged map I didn't really mind it.

RememberToTaper
  • RememberToTaper

PUSH through the BURN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:08 PM Edited by RememberToTaper, 11 January 2014 - 07:09 PM.

I liked both in GTA V.

The clouded map made me feel like I had more to do and explore.

But the open map from the start was awesome. Three characters and the freedom to go everywhere.

If this were one protagonist I could see the reason for locked maps. But I think from now on R* should have it all open and at least 3 protagonists like before.

GTA IV had disappointingly low completion rate (less than 25% or something) according to R*, and it could very well be because a lot of gamers felt missions were too frustrating and hated how they couldn't even see the other two-thirds of the map from the beginning. So millions are buying the game, but not bothering to even finish it halfway.

This hurts R* because they spent all that time making it, and millions of gamers aren't even finishing the game or moving far enough along to see the hard work they put in.

drr26
  • drr26

"he don't talk too much"

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

The foggy map was like San Andreas' but in SA it was much easier to clear - driving around the countryside after the a while cleared tonnes of space, in V it meant flying/driving every single little area

The map was always designed to be unlocked from the start, with the lack of big islands the previous games had

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:11 PM Edited by cp1dell, 11 January 2014 - 09:11 PM.

Didn't really affect me. I always treat every GTA game as a linear game - only driving to and from story missions. Only after the story do I explore the map and do the side-missions.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

I really didn't like the clouded map. After driving around for a bit and sticking to the roads and stuff and then looking at the map afterwords, it looked like someone opened it in photoshop and raped it with the eraser tool.

Anyway I was skeptical of having the whole map open from the start, because in the old days unlocking a new island to play on was always something special. It felt like a new game to me every time I'd unlock a new area. But I didn't have a problem with V being open from the start after playing it.

That said, I wouldn't be upset if they reintroduced locking bits of the map off again. But whatever they decide, I just hope they keep the land mass, or land masses, fat like LS and Blaine County is

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

To be honest, I prefer the traditional locked map. It gives you even more of a sense of purpose and objectives to target. I also liked how the "clouded" map gave it a feel of mystery. That said, I don't think this would've worked with multi-protags, so I can understand this decision.

• SonOfLiberty and Cicero The Great like this

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:33 PM Edited by darkdayz, 11 January 2014 - 09:34 PM.

Yes, it still worked the same as it ever has for me. I dive into the missions as soon as I start. Which means I didn't get out into Blaine County until Trevor was playable, the experience was good for this, the world felt big. I kept it street level and went were the game told me during missions, you can really explore some great places this way. You miss the beauty and detail by just covering the whole map in a helicopter in 5 minutes. So in that sense, some of the map still felt locked to me as I didn't want to explore it until Trevor came.

• Lucchese likes this

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

The clouded map sucked.

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Yes, it still worked the same as it ever has for me. I dive into the missions as soon as I start. Which means I didn't get out into Blaine County until Trevor was playable, the experience was good for this, the world felt big. I kept it street level and went were the game told me during missions, you can really explore some great places this way. You miss the beauty and detail by just covering the whole map in a helicopter in 5 minutes. So in that sense, some of the map still felt locked to me as I didn't want to explore it until Trevor came.

I did the exact same! When it comes to GTA, I always let the story dictate my map exploration. I never fully explore until I've beat the game, and following this concept made the experience much better; especially when meeting Trevor for the first time post-prologue.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

Yeah the Open Map it Great and it should be the trend for future GTAs and other Openworld"GTA Clone" Games.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

I thought I was gonna hate it, honestly. I usually appreciate the GTA games setting more exactly because I'm locked in a section of it. I didn't care for any of the SR maps or JC2 map because of that. And I kind of didn't really ge immersed all that much into the map on my first playthrough as the other GTAs, but the lack of barriers didn't bother me at all, as I thought they would. On my second playthrough though, I'm really appreciating everything, and I'm getting REALLY immersed in the map and the world in general. I liked it, though I wouldn't have minded the barriers.

As far as the fog stuff, that was pretty neat. It's a nice way of promoting exploration.

waikzguy8998
  • waikzguy8998

Desert Rat

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Not going to harp on the whole "nostalgia thing" but the maine reason i loved the closed map from the beginning was because of the mystery & intrigue that it brought

Just think back to VC, SA, or even IV when you could look out at the other parts of the world and wonder what was out there,,eg types of pedestrians, cars, easter eggs, maybe more houses, all that good stuff.  

I think it just forced us to focus on one area at a given time and see all that it had to offer before moving on to another one.

Ill admit I was spoiled with the open map at first and unfortunately did the quick lap around right when it started. Yeah it was cool but I feel that for missions that took place later it wasnt as fun seeing the area you already had access too.  

It just took away from the mystery is all.  Hopefully it's locked again for VI

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:53 AM

I didn't mind the unlocked map. I actually never went too far out and only stayed in the city with Michael and Franklin until Trevor's first mission. I only went places that seemed like it fit with the story at the time.

As for the clouded map. That was horrible, I mean utterly garbage. First, why the hell do the protagonists in GTA V not know the layout of their own city. Michael lived there for 9 years. Trevor was there for many years as well. Franklin was born and raised there. Yet Niko already knows all of Liberty City even though he is an immigrant. Second, why cloud it when you get of real map of it with every copy of the game? I have not gotten the achievement for the full map because I only go where it fits the story of the characters and missions. That and after I beat the story, I just start a new game. I hate after game free roaming, it's so boring. I need story, plot, reason!

Yeah. I really just didn't like having to drive, fly, boat everywhere etc just to have the full map revealed and as you say it's kind of silly when there are physical copies of the map with the game and in GTAO it's not clouded/fogged.

This makes perfect sense in the Assassin's Creed games for example as there are no physical maps and revealing the maps via "viewpoints" gives it more of a sense of purpose to be clouded/fogged to begin with.

I understand what people mean by promoting exploration, but I only see this applying to the first time you play through the game. Doesn't anyone else find it annoying when they start a new save and you have to (tediously) do it all over again?

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Ireland

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

I don't mind the unlocked map but I would prefer if it would be locked from the start. That feature was there since GTA III so why no keep it like that?

The clouded map is what I liked, it reminds me of the blue squares on the map in San Andreas and it's fun exploring the map.

Cicero The Great
  • Cicero The Great

Only We can use majestic plural, deal with it

• Members

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

The open map from the beginning was a big mistake, almost on par with the lack of interaction and interiors

Not to mention that crap-pop song from julian Lennon in the rock station and other aberrations in the soundtrack...

The clouded map was a consequence of that choice, directly taken from skyrim

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

If the map was unlocked over the course of the game, how would it have been locked in the beginning? The map is one giant island.

Distrom
  • Distrom

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:32 AM

Having a locked map has always been a tradition in GTA up until V. I can understand why they didn't lock it this time around, but I hope they bring it back for VI. It's the feeling of accomplishment when you unlock a new part of the map which makes me appreciate it. I remember when I first unlocked Algonquin. 

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by clouded map. 

I also remember when I first unlcked Algonquin, it was so exciting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users