Quantcast

» «
Photo

Did the open map work for you?

65 replies to this topic

Poll: Did the open map work for you? (145 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you like the open map from the start?

1. Yes (116 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. No (29 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Did you like the clouded map?

1. Yes (76 votes [52.41%])

Percentage of vote: 52.41%

2. No (69 votes [47.59%])

Percentage of vote: 47.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote
SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Before GTA V released there was a debate between people whether it was a good idea or not to break away from GTA tradition and have an open map from the start. Did you like it or not?

For me it was ok, but I would rather GTA VI go back to a locked map and just as a side note did you like the clouded map?

Honestly I hated it. It made the map look ugly as hell having these blotches of clouded patches everywhere which in turn made it difficult for finding collectibles and pinpointing their locations. I hope it never returns.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Having a locked map has always been a tradition in GTA up until V. I can understand why they didn't lock it this time around, but I hope they bring it back for VI. It's the feeling of accomplishment when you unlock a new part of the map which makes me appreciate it. I remember when I first unlocked Algonquin. 

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by clouded map. 

• Distrom likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

You know how the map is slowly revealed with everywhere you go? Maybe the best way of putting it is fogged out.

• poklane likes this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Oh, right. It didn't really bother me tbh. 

tomtom555
  • tomtom555

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

You know how the map is slowly revealed with everywhere you go? Maybe the best way of putting it is fogged out.

It's commonly referred to as the fog of war.

• SonOfLiberty and PlasmaFLOW like this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

YES and YES

Short answer: No other game does open world (Action-adventure/Sandbox) as awesome like Rockstar

Long answer: Each area of the city feels distinct and fleshed out. Incredible level of detail as well as content feel like a real living and breathing city, in which case, NO OTHER GTA comes even close. Graphics are beautiful (still sh*t, compared to future PC version) that increases the feel for the game world even further and really pushes retiring consoles. All I can say about the map is I've fallen in love with it forever (until they remake GTA Vice City)

adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• United-Kingdom

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

Yeah, not sure what the point of that was. It reminded me of a Bob Ross intro. I found myself flying across specific areas of the map (even areas where I knew there wasn't anything interesting) just to "unfog" them.

• SonOfLiberty, Ermac., Luddite and 3 others like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

One of the best things about GTA for me is the ability to wander off and explore. With the map fully open and fully revealed from the start, I was able to locate things that looked like they'd be good to explore. 

It was nice in the past to happen across things and start checking them out, but with the restrictions in old games, it never felt like a real map.

Here's the thing - we all knew that MTF were residents of the area for some time, so it made no sense for the map to be unknown. In previous games, where we're a new guy in town (San Andreas excepted) it made more sense for the map to be masked and, essentially, completely unknown to the player. 

This way works much better, though I could see them going back on it in future games. 

Shotgunna-Hux
  • Shotgunna-Hux

Irish in my blood every Friday

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

The map was open, but most of the interiors weren't. The clothing stores for example opened right after completing the mission in which Jay Norris is killed. I think this shouldn't continue in future GTA games, I'd prefer if they just kept the map and the interiors such as clothing stores open and free to explore right from the start. I don't need an entire mission to teach me how to press a few buttons so that I could change my outfit. This is a game rated M for Mature! Unlocking the map via missions is a good way to get the players play the story and make them familiar with the gameplay but I think it shouldn't be a mandatory thing. It wouldn't have even worked in this game, since there are no seperate islands like in GTA IV and GTA 3. 

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:13 PM Edited by Osho, 10 January 2014 - 12:28 PM.

If there was no "fog of war" I am quite certain I'd not get that pleasure to discover that I'm not looking up some thing easily predicted. I mean, it's a sign above looking around as we do in real life (at that scale of height). Realism!!

No ordinary street view but slowly moving transition that clears up the view, the buildings, surroundings, and finally looking clean. SURPRISE!!

Man, it makes the atmosphere and the feature worth it. 

Shotgunna-Hux
  • Shotgunna-Hux

Irish in my blood every Friday

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

One of the best things about GTA for me is the ability to wander off and explore. With the map fully open and fully revealed from the start, I was able to locate things that looked like they'd be good to explore. 

It was nice in the past to happen across things and start checking them out, but with the restrictions in old games, it never felt like a real map.

Here's the thing - we all knew that MTF were residents of the area for some time, so it made no sense for the map to be unknown. In previous games, where we're a new guy in town (San Andreas excepted) it made more sense for the map to be masked and, essentially, completely unknown to the player. 

This way works much better, though I could see them going back on it in future games. 

Yeah. But then again, Trevor does mention that he hasn't been in Los Santos before. The idea of going to Los Santos as Trevor before locating Michael is kind of stupid. The mission in which he travels to LS with Wade is supposed to be his first time in LS. But It all depends on the player if they truly want to follow the story. If you do, don't wander into LS as Trevor before locating Michael.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

Graphics are beautiful (still sh*t, compared to future PC version)

Really? I'd love to see what you're basing that comparison on... it appears to be based on comparing something that exists to something that doesn't officially, if at all, exist yet. 

PC Gamers. They just can't help but mention something superior, even when it's something that is currently moot. 

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

Yeah. But then again, Trevor does mention that he hasn't been in Los Santos before. The idea of going to Los Santos as Trevor before locating Michael is kind of stupid. The mission in which he travels to LS with Wade is supposed to be his first time in LS. But It all depends on the player if they truly want to follow the story. If you do, don't wander into LS as Trevor before locating Michael.

I actually done that on my first save. I bought a Sandking as Trevor and went to LS to get it then just hung around for a while. When it came time in the story to go to LS it felt contradictory as Trevor acted like he had never been there before.

It's the same with Michael too when he asks Trevor where he's been living and he says Sandy Shores. It came across like Michael had no idea where it was even though there's nothing stopping the player going out there with Michael.

If it's necessary to be brought back I'd rather the script not contradict the player's actions.

• Shotgunna-Hux likes this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

Really? I'd love to see what you're basing that comparison on... 

common sense

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

common sense

Not sure why it was relevant to this discussion though. This isn't about graphics, it's about the map being available from the start of the game. 

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:23 PM Edited by Osho, 10 January 2014 - 12:23 PM.

common sense

Not sure why it was relevant to this discussion though. This isn't about graphics, it's about the map being available from the start of the game. 

Speaking for myself and stating the FACT by obvious distinction to avoid any confusion about graphics related to how beautiful map (world) looks on consoles.

Sasqui
  • Sasqui

Gangsta sh*t

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

In GTA V, having the clouded map was kind of like having the map locked. You didn't have any idea what was over in that area. However, you still had the option of exploring and you had the sense of not knowing where you were because your map didn't show sh*t, forcing you to pay attention to the world and learn your way around. Plus, the clouded map showed you where you hadn't explored.
I like having an open map from the start, mostly because I can just choose to not explore rather than be forced not to explore.

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

Yes, I did. I loved being able to lose myself in the game right from the start. Go anywhere and do anything?

As for the clouded map? No, it was a nuisance. In a smaller game it probably wouldn't be much of a problem, but in a game this huge you have to work at revealing most of the map. If there was a cloudy overlay where you could still make out the features it wouldn't have been a problem, but I think making the map completely covered up was going too far.

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:35 PM Edited by Osho, 10 January 2014 - 12:40 PM.

I think map view (fog of war) definitely needs to pick up the pace

Gran Feft Orto
  • Gran Feft Orto

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

It was ok, but I did miss the sense of acomplishment in unlocking new areas. I'll never forget crossing the Callahan bridge for the first time in GTA III!

The 'clouded map' was great in my opinion. Gave you the sense of heading into the unknown, and let you easily track which areas of the map you hadn't explored yet.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

It was ok, but I did miss the sense of acomplishment in unlocking new areas. I'll never forget crossing the Callahan bridge for the first time in GTA III!

The 'clouded map' was great in my opinion. Gave you the sense of heading into the unknown, and let you easily track which areas of the map you hadn't explored yet.

What annoyed me about it was trying to get the trophy for exploring the whole map and there was just this one little bit up the top of the map I overlooked.

I prefer SA's clouding/fogging as it's not as much of a nuisance to uncover.

Polish_Trucker
  • Polish_Trucker

It's the Hoff, I've been on this beach since Baywatch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

The 'clouded' map thing was annoying for people who hate blotches or have OCD :p . From when I started the game on the 17th, I wanted to explore but I couldn't because I didn't know where to go. On the other hand, I prefer the land-locked system because it feels.. more real. But that's only if there is more than 1 island in VI.

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

I prefer the land-locked system because it feels.. more real. But that's only if there is more than 1 island in VI.

Exactly, there is none. Essentially, it's one big giant land to explore. Land-locked system makes no sense in GTA V

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

To be completely honest it didn't, unlocking island after island really made me appreciate the tiniest details of every single island. Whilst now I couldn't be bothered to visit huge chunks of the map as I have/had no incentive of doing so.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:32 PM Edited by poklane, 10 January 2014 - 01:34 PM.

I liked it. It always felt strange to have the map divided into 3 pieces, especially when it was one big city like IV. Also, I don't think it could have worked in V, since a huge part of the map is country side, where San Andreas solves this problem with 2 additional cities. I also felt that when I unlocked a new part, the previous one became useless. About the revealing of the map, I don't give a sh*t.

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

In GTA V's case - I do think that the open map from the beginning did work for me; mainly because there weren't any land divisions ('islands') like there were in previous GTA's. With that being said, if the map of the next GTA does have separate land masses as was the case with previous GTA titles - then yeah, I'd prefer the separate landmasses having to be unlocked as you play through the game versus having them all unlocked from the very beginning.

As for exploration; locked landmasses personally don't hinder that for me. I just explore in the areas that I have unlocked inbetween doing missions.

• PaletoChickenCapo likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

A lot of people were, if I recall correctly, pissed when San An came out and they found that any attempt to explore other cities at the beginning of the game results in 5 stars and almost certain death. 

The same was true for IV. We all wanted to see that new map and take a good look at an HD GTA. 

R* addressed that, and now people want it how it was before?

R* must love us all very much, when we completely flip flop on what we want. Just like everything else that's been changed since IV - people complained about it then, but now say it was better how it was. Gamers just can not be satisfied. 

Panz
  • Panz

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Returning Member 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2013
    Hottest Member 2014

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

I completely forgot that parts of the map were blocked off in previous GTA games. It only seems realistic to not block off anything, so I definitely prefer it. The fog could get annoying, but I enjoyed how beautiful and natural it made the game look.

My problem is that the map isn't interesting enough to explore. For some reason, I'd rather explore every inch of old-platform San Andreas than this one.  I think it's because, whenever I get a good cruise going on in my car and I accidentally make a bad turn or fly out of control, my car explodes on impact. I'm fine with it lighting on fire, and I know the combustion is realistic, but it's damn annoying in my mind when I just want to explore. Sure, I could drive more safely, but this is GTA we're talking about.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

I completely forgot that parts of the map were blocked off in previous GTA games. It only seems realistic to not block off anything, so I definitely prefer it. The fog could get annoying, but I enjoyed how beautiful and natural it made the game look.

My problem is that the map isn't interesting enough to explore. For some reason, I'd rather explore every inch of old-platform San Andreas than this one.  I think it's because, whenever I get a good cruise going on in my car and I accidentally make a bad turn or fly out of control, my car explodes on impact. I'm fine with it lighting on fire, and I know the combustion is realistic, but it's damn annoying in my mind when I just want to explore. Sure, I could drive more safely, but this is GTA we're talking about.

What the hell car are you driving? One made out of dynamite? 

Panz
  • Panz

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Returning Member 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2013
    Hottest Member 2014

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

You haven't done this?  I'll take any car and drive it near top speed and maybe..."accidentally" launch it off a hill and hit something on my way down, and it explodes on impact and kills me. I've had it happen at least 5 times, and I don't think it's specific to the car.

• dtsmucker likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users