Quantcast

» «
Photo

Your thoughts about the Steam Box Console for GTAs'?

37 replies to this topic

Poll: GTA's on Steam Box Console (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play GTA's on Steam Box Console?

1. YES (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

2. NO, I'll stick to PC (13 votes [86.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Dachinko
  • Dachinko

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:32 AM Edited by TheThingy, 09 January 2014 - 09:44 AM.

What do you think about playing GTA games on the Steam Box Console? Imagine if it was possible to play GTA Mods on the Steam Box Console? Imagine playing Zombie GTA mods on it, etc..

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:07 AM Edited by yojo2, 09 January 2014 - 10:10 AM.

It's just a PC running modded Linux (Debian to be more specific) on it, I don't get what this craze is all about.

I'm pretty sure that GTA would have to be ported from DirectX to OpenGL to work properly on Linux, and this probably won't happen.

Dachinko
  • Dachinko

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:30 AM Edited by TheThingy, 09 January 2014 - 10:31 AM.

Ah, I see. So, it's not literaly a PC. It won't play original PC games as is. They have to be ported, changed here and there, like when PC games get dumbed down (ex: Doom 3, Half-Life 2) to have a Console version? Thanks for responding.

Here I was thinking that I would b able to buy a PC game disc and then play it on the Steam Box Console.

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:45 AM Edited by yojo2, 09 January 2014 - 10:46 AM.

It is a PC, just with a Linux OS instead of Windows. Most PC games are designed to run only on Windows. Games don't have to be "dumbed down", they just have to be re-engineered to some degree.

Dachinko
  • Dachinko

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

Ok, thanks for the info, yojo2. I only heard of this Steam box a bit ago. A friend of mine told me that you'll be able to play games from steam (dl them into your console) and play them somehow. When I heard of this I immediately thought of PC GTA Mods, Counter-Strike Mods, Half-Life Mods, etc..

Bad.boy!
  • Bad.boy!

SA modder

• Feroci
  • Netherlands

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

It's just a PC running modded Linux (Debian to be more specific) on it, I don't get what this craze is all about.

I'm pretty sure that GTA would have to be ported from DirectX to OpenGL to work properly on Linux, and this probably won't happen.

III-era GTAs are ported to OpenGL already, but sadly R* doesn't release them on linux. I also think that they never will, because steamos/box is probably going to fail and make linux look like sh*t, resulting in less people switching to linux.

Dachinko
  • Dachinko

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for responding, Bad.boy!.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

Supposedly, they'll allow you to install your own OS or dualboot W7/8. Not sure which though. But that just makes me scratch my head even more. The average console-only person is not gonna know about dualbooting or installing another OS, why overcomplicate it? Why not just ring up MS and work something out? Or ring up the top developers and throw in some incentive to port some of their games? Or, better yet, spend some resources on building software that can run some of the Windows games? It's just unnecessary complication that's supposed to be EXACTLY why people stick solely to consoles, and the main selling point of these is supposed to be that they're basically consoles that play PC games.

Ugh.

Dachinko
  • Dachinko

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

Thank you for responding, DeafMetal. Like I was saying earlier. I thought that with this console was that all I have to do is buy a PC game, pop the PC game disc into the console, and play the game. But, it shows how little I know about the Steam Box. Thanks everyone for giving me info about the console. I thought "Wow, I can buy PC games from the store and Steam and play them on the SteamBox 'as is'?" Thanks again, everyone.

• DeafMetal and TaviColen123 like this

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:10 PM Edited by Stinky12, 11 January 2014 - 08:10 PM.

If Steam release their OS, then basically almost any decent computer can become a steam box.

Here is a teardown of the Steam Box from iFixit

http://www.ifixit.co... Teardown/20473

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

I don't get the hype for the Steambox if you already an install Steam OS on a (Windows) PC.

And the Steam box comes with many different hardware so it is not buy the PC game disc, insert, press next, next, next, install

and play the game. If you doný know which hardware you want or don't know the specs, you might end up having graphical problems

because of the weak GPU/CPU and Steam has added AMD/Intel graphics which means Steam OS supports the integrated

GPU which they are very terrible for gaming.

And Steam OS will fail because almost any PC game is made for DirectX and if PC games have to be ported over to Steam OS,

it will costs the developers more money and time whch resulting the devs being lazy to optimize their games.

I don't see a average PC user would install Steam OS just for the sake of games.

You can do everything on a Windows PC so why Steam OS? I like Windows Vista, it has been better optimized

but I can't wait to finally have Windows7. Not bothered with Steam box/OS. And besides, you really would need a aftermarket GPU

and a much better CPU cooler because most of the Steam are damn small and there is baerly good airflow.

I might be wrong though.

• TaviColen123 likes this

Dachinko
  • Dachinko

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

Thank you, Stinky12 for your response and for the link you posted. I'll look at the link. Thank you SilverRST for your response, too.

I went to the link. The control(s) seems difficult to master for me. The box reminds me of a VCR+. It has several stuff on the
backside you can use. But how exactly one play the games? Download them? It looks like theres a hard drive. I wonder
how much space will the steam box come with? Thanks again everyone.

Bad.boy!
  • Bad.boy!

SA modder

• Feroci
  • Netherlands

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

and play the game. If you doný know which hardware you want or don't know the specs, you might end up having graphical problems

because of the weak GPU/CPU and Steam has added AMD/Intel graphics which means Steam OS supports the integrated

GPU which they are very terrible for gaming.

And Steam OS will fail because almost any PC game is made for DirectX and if PC games have to be ported over to Steam OS,

it will costs the developers more money and time whch resulting the devs being lazy to optimize their games.

I don't see a average PC user would install Steam OS just for the sake of games.

You can do everything on a Windows PC so why Steam OS? I like Windows Vista, it has been better optimized

but I can't wait to finally have Windows7. Not bothered with Steam box/OS. And besides, you really would need a aftermarket GPU

and a much better CPU cooler because most of the Steam are damn small and there is baerly good airflow.

I might be wrong though.

This is incorrect. I haven't seen a single steambox which uses only integrated AMD/intel graphics. That they will support integrated graphics is a good thing, for people who don't play much AAA games. Supporting doesn't mean that you have to use integrated graphics. And games won't run any better on windows if you only have integrated graphics.

Porting from DirectX to OpenGL costs money, but it won't be noticable less optimized then the DirectX version. A bigger problem will be driver support.

About the cooler, I'm sure the companies producing steamboxes have thought about too. It probably won't overheat, unless you are going to OC the GPU/CPU (which most people don't).

And about the installation of games, you are supposed to buy games from steam, not from stores. Otherwise Valve won't make any profit (although I don't think that steamos/box is all about profit).

• Dachinko likes this

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Steamboxes do come with an aftermarket CPU cooler. It's not much better though than the standard one, I think it was changed because the standard one was too high for the slim case.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

http://www.xi3.com/ seems like a better concept.

Andreas
  • Andreas

Leone Family Mafia

• GTA Series Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

I don't see the point in purchasing a Steam console, if you already have a potent PC. The console is nothing else than a regular PC with Linux as operating system. Though, I hope that it will encourage developers to optimize future titles for OpenGL. While it is a little more complexe to program, you gain a performance increase of 20% if you use OpenGL instead of DirectX in games, provided that you use the same settings on both APIs.
  • Finn 7 five 11 and Dachinko like this

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:49 PM Edited by Killerdude8, 12 January 2014 - 03:50 PM.

I don't see them getting very far with it, Not very many companies make games compatible(or that run well) with Linux, So I don't understand why they'd make a Linux based console.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

I read on different tech sites DirectX doesn't provide devs full acces directly to the GPU?

And if I'm not mistaken Mantle provides games full acces to the GPU and that's why BF4 gained 45% performance over DirectX?

Windows is a very common OS and most everyone uses it, I don't see them indeed not going far with it.

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

And if I'm not mistaken Mantle provides games full acces to the GPU and that's why BF4 gained 45% performance over DirectX?

That's what AMD marketing team is saying. The real performance gain is yet to be tested, as Mantle patch wasn't yet released for BF4.

TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

TheThingy, on 09 Jan 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

What do you think about playing GTA games on the Steam Box Console? Imagine if it was possible to play GTA Mods on the Steam Box Console? Imagine playing Zombie GTA mods on it, etc..

Rockstar is not going to bother with this sh*t and i doubt any other third party dev would. Also almost nobody makes games for Linux because nobody has it and this is not going to change anything .

• SilverRST likes this

Dachinko
  • Dachinko

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses. Also, thank you GTA3Rockstar for the link.

CCPD
  • CCPD

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:33 AM

There are 13 Steam "Consoles" in total and they are basically overpriced pre-build PCs so I don't see any point of them at this stage and I'm sure, since they are PCs, any mods could be played on them.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:00 AM

There are 13 Steam "Consoles" in total and they are basically overpriced pre-build PCs so I don't see any point of them at this stage and I'm sure, since they are PCs, any mods could be played on them.

And if can't get any more overpriced, most of those Steam "consoles" have reference GPU's which makes it diffcult to keep them cool.

Textures mods are nice but not when they make the reference GPU's work harder.

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:15 AM

Actually, reference design GPUs are the way to go in this case IMHO. Reference GPU coolers are designed to throw the hot air out of the case, and since Steambox is small and not really properly ventillated this could be better in the long run.
  • Finn 7 five 11 likes this

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

I think with these Steam machines you're mainly paying for the small form factor. Is the controller included with every machine?

CCPD
  • CCPD

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

Is the controller included with every machine?

I would assume yes, since it would be pretty dumb to sell gaming "console" without controller. From what I could gather all controllers are the same and build by Steam.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

Steambox really isn't just a gaming console, it's still a computer. You can still install windows on to it.

There is about 300 shipped out to developers and it says each case is different, by the number of holes drilled into the case. The controller right now is for development use and it says the finalized one may use a LCD screen.

Dachinko
  • Dachinko

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:31 AM

Wow, an LCD screen? I wanna thanks everyone again for responding to this thread.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:02 AM

I didn't notice this thread here.

so I'll just quote my reply from the other Steam Machines topic.

I still don't truly understand who a Steam Machine is being marketed for.
who wants these things?who doesn't already own a decent computer that can easily fit in their living room?

are we trying to trick jocks into buying PC's while they believe they're buying consoles? :lol:

it seems like a really narrow market.

I wish someone would change my mind but I don't see the future in this.

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

Well, there is pretty much only one reason: it's small. Such a powerful small form factor PC is a nifty idea. Technically you could build something like that on your own, although it'd be hard to find a similar case (a low-profile case which accepts full-size cards).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users