Voise recording problem

5 replies to this topic
DragonWarrior (DnW)
  • DragonWarrior (DnW)

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night"-DnW

• Members
  • Sri-Lanka

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

I'm using my Laptop's in-built microphone to record my voice, but it has a humming sound and it records it too. I want to know is there a way to remove the sound. I searched Google for answers and I found a program called Audacity could do the job. But I realy don't know how to do it with that program.

If that program can do it, please give me the steps. If it can't tell me what I can do instead of buying a new Microphone.

GTA36362355
  • GTA36362355

moving before it's dead

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

Switch off the fan

DragonWarrior (DnW)
  • DragonWarrior (DnW)

• Members
  • Sri-Lanka

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

@deepthroatgta6: Thanks dude.

Please someone help

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

What software are you using to edit?

If you apply an EQ in the 60hz range (50 if you're Euro) it should clear it up a bit.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

The only thing I can really suggest is to get an actual mic. You can get a simple desktop mic for less than $10 on Amazon. The simple reason why is that you want to get the mic away from what is making the noise and in this case it's likely the laptop fan(s).

As for if you really want to use Audacity you can try this but I make no promises it'll work.
Open the file you want to fix
Select a part of the track where you're not talking. You should hopefully have some of that at the beginning of the track. If not from now on when you start recording, count to 5 in your head then start talking, this will be the noise you want to capture and remove later. Other wise find an area in the middle where you stop talking for a bit and select that.
Now go to Effect->Noise Removal and follow the steps; click the Get Noise Profile
Then select the whole thing, simply hitting ctrl+A or Edit->Select->All
Go back to Effect->Noise Removal again, make sure Remove is selected before and click OK and let it do it's thing.
Keep in mind your voice may drop some but you can use the Amplify effect to bring that back up, just select the areas where you actually talk.

For more info on how to use the Noise Removal read this

DragonWarrior (DnW)
  • DragonWarrior (DnW)

• Members
  • Sri-Lanka

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:17 AM

The only thing I can really suggest is to get an actual mic. You can get a simple desktop mic for less than $10 on Amazon. The simple reason why is that you want to get the mic away from what is making the noise and in this case it's likely the laptop fan(s).

As for if you really want to use Audacity you can try this but I make no promises it'll work.
Open the file you want to fix
Select a part of the track where you're not talking. You should hopefully have some of that at the beginning of the track. If not from now on when you start recording, count to 5 in your head then start talking, this will be the noise you want to capture and remove later. Other wise find an area in the middle where you stop talking for a bit and select that.
Now go to Effect->Noise Removal and follow the steps; click the Get Noise Profile
Then select the whole thing, simply hitting ctrl+A or Edit->Select->All
Go back to Effect->Noise Removal again, make sure Remove is selected before and click OK and let it do it's thing.
Keep in mind your voice may drop some but you can use the Amplify effect to bring that back up, just select the areas where you actually talk.

For more info on how to use the Noise Removal read this

Thanks bro! works fine!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users