Large HDD need

2 replies to this topic
Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

So I need a very large hard drive what would you recommend? I have a 3TB and a 2TB external drive but they are both full of music I have seen 5 bay desk drive holder has anyone tried the hdd bays out of so what do you think?

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:35 PM

These 5 drive bay are actually NAS enclosures, what they do is let you install a maxiimum number of HDDs (not equal to maximum capacity) into the NAS enclosure, where you can then attached it to your network and share your files or use it as a centeral backup drive. Depending on the model, some have features like the support for RAID or build in diagnostic that tells you which HDD is faulty. 

If you're running RAID on a NAS drive and somehow the NAS enclosure doesn't work anymore, it needs to have the same exact model or else you will loose all your data.

Also NAS enclosure are not cheap, they range from $600 all way up to $1,000 or more.

Best option would be to just grab another external HDD, largest right now is 4TB get two of them and you'll have 8TB.

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:50 AM Edited by Crazyeighties, 09 January 2014 - 08:04 AM.

These 5 drive bay are actually NAS enclosures, what they do is let you install a maxiimum number of HDDs (not equal to maximum capacity) into the NAS enclosure, where you can then attached it to your network and share your files or use it as a centeral backup drive. Depending on the model, some have features like the support for RAID or build in diagnostic that tells you which HDD is faulty. 
If you're running RAID on a NAS drive and somehow the NAS enclosure doesn't work anymore, it needs to have the same exact model or else you will loose all your data.
Also NAS enclosure are not cheap, they range from $600 all way up to $1,000 or more.
Best option would be to just grab another external HDD, largest right now is 4TB get two of them and you'll have 8TB.

Thanks bro, I have one more question, I know I can get a NAS to desk converter base, my question is can I get USB splitters so I can plug more then one desk drive into my NAS (that will be turned into a regular old external drive. the drive dock adapter does have a USB cable if it helps it is a SEAGATE Freeagent desk NAS ( the 3 tb) and my older one my free agent desk ( the 2tb) theoretically having 5 or more hard drives plugged into the one making it a massive driv

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users