A paid or "Premium" membership!

7 replies to this topic
Cragovich
  • Cragovich

The Division.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

Hello chaps! Would you ever considering a payment option for membership? I've got no idea how the whole GTA Network is funded but surely a little community backing will go a long way.

Now let's say for £5 for 6 months you get the following perks:

• Ability to change username colour
  • More emoticons
  • Access to some unique forums
  • Ability to "promote" threads so they show up at the top for a short amount of time (Similar to Pinned threads)
  • A global chat box on the index for other premium members to talk
  • No adverts
  • A unique award or badge to be shown on profile (Consider implementing this http://community.inv...5966-hq-awards/)

Accept PayPal as the payment option or you can even set up payment by SMS with some outside service providers. I know I would definitely be interested in this & would 110% buy it. Anyone else?

• The Angel King likes this

The Angel King
  • The Angel King

Retired

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

I think it's a good idea. Perhaps a few more perks? Personally I wouldn't pay though. I am not usually into gimicks.

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

OK lets go through the perks:

1. Why would you want to be able to change your username colour. Seems a bit pointless to me.

2. Using the [img] tags you can insert any image you want into a thread. So this is a bit pointless to me.

3. There are already special forums for certain member groups. So a group for paying members would be a bit pointless. Not to mention boring... What would you chat about?

4. What a horrible idea. The moderators can do this but giving the average user this ability would be a disaster.

5. GTANet has an IRC server. So this is unnecessary.

6. A reasonable idea, but how many people would pay just to have no ads.

7. There used to be an award system before the boards were upgraded. I'm sure it will be back but right now the admins have bigger fish to fry.

Also, in about 2005 Premium Membership was brought in for a while (it was only a prank). The reaction was pretty negative to say the least.

Would I pay money to this forum to have no ads and access to a private forum in which I could talk to people who I didn't know? Definitely not.

• skills and ten-a-penny like this

Cragovich
  • Cragovich

The Division.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:33 AM Edited by Cragovich, 08 January 2014 - 12:35 AM.

Thanks for the feedback. Granted a few of them maybe pointless but they were what I came up with off the top of my head. The main idea of the thread was to be able to contribute to the running costs of the GTA Network and get something in return. Whether it's advantageous or just cosmetic.

Would I pay money for a service I use and some poor sod is paying for out their own pocket? Definitely. But that's just me.

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

Considering how many people have been visiting since the V launch (15 thou were on simultaneously at one point) I'm pretty sure Tank's ad revenue is not having trouble meeting the board costs.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

Considering how many people have been visiting since the V launch (15 thou were on simultaneously at one point) I'm pretty sure Tank's ad revenue is not having trouble meeting the board costs.

If the ad revenue can cover the server costs then sure, but I'm not certain that one ad at the top of the page for the few that don't have adblock now isn't able to cover for the thousands using the servers.

But what do I know, I'm just a forum user. If it's hard to break even then I don't see why it would be a problem, barring things like thread advantages and the like. Maybe just a premium member lounge where you joke about peasants for all of 5 minutes then leave it be and change some colours, but the names could be a bit...obstructive. 

Maybe something like a larger file avatar/signature so you can have higher-quality/longer gifs, since you're paying for server costs and all (if that's how it works).

The problem is you don't want it to disrupt the interface for other users, but having no reward as well isn't too enticing. 

Matty
  • Matty

Bounty Hunter

• Australia

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

If the ad revenue can cover the server costs then sure, but I'm not certain that one ad at the top of the page for the few that don't have adblock now isn't able to cover for the thousands using the servers.

I think Tank manages just fine with the ad revenue that he is getting from the ads displayed throughout the network to cover the costs of hosting the network. If this wasn't the case, the network, including the forums, wouldn't be up.

• Shah Sam likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:42 AM

Matty is taking offers of payment to give you certain perks.. such as not getting banned, receiving warnings and things of that nature. PM him for his PayPal info :p

• Matty and Shah Sam like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users