Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

I hate coffee, I drink tea. 

JIMHO
  • JIMHO

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

If I'm at home and want a cup of coffee, I'll grind up some Café Altura or some other organic, Fair Trade, Rain Forest Alliance, Biodynamic and slash or shade grown coffee.

Are those gay labels for coffee? Is burnt coffee like Folgers a man's coffee?

Anyway. I'll put a bit of whole milk in it until the tint increases a few shades and add some hot cocoa mix.

If I'm at a coffee shop, I'll be adventurous and try something, anything new.

Fair trade aims to protect the farmer instead of the big multinationals, do you consider that gay?

It's really worrisome the increasing amount of ignorant and retarded posts around the forums lately...

Actually, I'd love to talk about agricultural standards. Coffee is one of the most complex because the growers have to certify to a menu of standards and regulations to market their goods. There's a base price for specialty coffee. Each additional certificate adds to what growers get.

Fair Trade itself is pretty straight forward; justice for the small guys. If gay means something is stupid or rubbish, then of course the biggest coffee brokers consider Fair Trade a gay label. You won't see large companies like Folgers or Nestle selling certified Fair Trade coffee, unless consumers demand it (which they aren't: They want cheap coffee.) Until then, Fair Trade is gay.
I don't want to overwhelm you with information, so I'm cutting this short. I'm all for an informed discussion about coffee and the people involved in getting it to consumers.

AgentSimons
  • AgentSimons

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:28 PM Edited by AgentSimons, 08 January 2014 - 07:30 PM.

What is known as common knowledge is that fair trade is just a slightly less abusive and explotive practice when held in equal comparison to regular methods.

Take the acai berry for example. This is the indigenous diet of the Amazon and locals were not able to afford it anymore after Oprah broadcast it as a super diet, resulting in prices skyrocketing because fat Americans were purchasing it faster than it can be produced.

If you are an Amazonian you are lucky if you can even eat your local food these days.

Quinoa is the current example. Fair trade may make you feel good but we are all guilty.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:30 PM Edited by RoadRunner71, 08 January 2014 - 07:35 PM.

"if gay means something is stupid or rubbish" Confirmed what I was thinking, you are just an ignorant bigot.

So you think protecting the interests of some people with less recourses before the ones of the big companies just because you want your coffee a few bucks cheaper is rubbish and stupid... For scum like you the world is as f*cked up as it is now.

@AgentSimons. If these farmers with less recourses earned more, apart of improving their lifes, they could acquire better and more modern production machinery, increasing the production, dealing with a bigger demand.

JIMHO
  • JIMHO

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

"if gay means something is stupid or rubbish" Confirmed what I was thinking, you are just an ignorant bigot.

So you think protecting the interests of some people with less recourses before the ones of the big companies just because you want your coffee a few bucks cheaper is rubbish and stupid... For scum like you the world is as f*cked up as it is now.

I was just telling you the popular opinion of such standards as Fair Trade. That definition of gay was actually from Wikipedia (shame on me for relying on that site!) I don't really know what gay is, so that's why I was asking.

My own opinion is more in line with AgentSimons. Fair Trade, compared to other agricultural standards has always been lacking. Even more so recently when Fair Trade USA split from its German company. It's a good idea, focusing on social justice, but lacks other legs of a sustainable standard and really lacks in accountability.

It's funny, there's a Huffington Post article from 2011 on exactly the idea that Folgers and Nestle should get certified by Fair Trade because the standard was weakened so much.

• Moonshield and theadmiral like this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

I'm drinking a coffee right now. I used a vanilla flavoured creamer and it spread an off taste through the entire drink, but it is still very drinkable.

I think the only one of these flavoured creamers I can tolerate is hazelnut. Better off sticking with just half and half or skim milk!

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

I'm drinking a coffee right now. I used a vanilla flavoured creamer and it spread an off taste through the entire drink, but it is still very drinkable.

I think the only one of these flavoured creamers I can tolerate is hazelnut. Better off sticking with just half and half or skim milk!

Creamer in your coffee? Shame on you Addy. 

I like my coffee like I like my women. Ground up and in the freezer. Black and bitter.

• Moonshield and Failure like this

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

I quit drinking coffee, but when I did I preferred fresh ground beans with cream for color and three sugars.

I've never been a fan of cold or iced coffee. I only like hot java ;)

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

I'm drinking some coffee right now that I got at the petrol station. It isn't great but it is doing the job. It is hazelnut flavoured or something but in all honesty it just tastes artificial. The cup is massive too so i'm stuck with it for a while. Maybe if I microwave it and its hotter it'll improve the taste.

JIMHO
  • JIMHO

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

I just finished half a cup of Café Altura, light roast, with half a cup of whole milk. It was excellent, as usual. I also had a cup with the same proportion of a tazo chai tea to milk. Trouble is, neither of these coffee or tea should be drank while eating yogurt.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

I hate coffee, I drink tea. 

I hate tea, I drink coffee.

Regular coffee, regular milk, regular sugar. One cup in the morning before leaving for work and one in the evening after getting back.

WhatThe?
  • WhatThe?

GTA V

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Either regular Coffee or a Cappuccino and a Lattè

Semi Skimmed Milk

No Sugar

And just a regular kettle to boil the water

BMW1992
  • BMW1992

GTAForums member since Jan 2005

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

I am very interested to hear from other forum members about how they take their coffee.

Do you prepare your coffee at home or buy it at a coffee shop?

Do you drink regular coffee or a mixed coffee beverage such as a Café Latte?

Do you use a regular drip machine, a French press, a Vietnamese coffee filter, or some other contraption?

What type of milk do you use? Half and half? Regular? Skim? 2%? Soy? Almond?

What type of sugar do you use? Regular? Sugar in the raw? Splenda? Equal?

How many cups of coffee do you drink in a day on average?

Please feel free to post in this thread regarding everything coffee related. If you are someone who drinks tea , you can feel free to name those in here too and specify if you use cream, no cream, or double Devonshire cream.

For me, I prepare very strong coffee in a coffee machine and put in only a bit of half and half, no sugar.

Prepare it at home.

Regular coffee (strong)

Regular drip machine

1%

I don't use sugar

I drink 2~4 cups a day

Los Santos Police Department
  • Los Santos Police Department

Chief of the LSPD

• Members
  • Bahrain
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

I prefer tea, but I drink coffee as well. 2 sugars for coffee, 1.5 for tea.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:39 PM Edited by theadmiral, 30 January 2014 - 10:39 PM.

For some reason i'm pretty tired so i'm drinking a coffee right now. Does anyone see a problem with having a coffee at 5:30 in the evening? (17:30 for all Europeans)

• JIMHO likes this

JIMHO
  • JIMHO

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:45 AM

Drinking coffee in the evening isn't a good idea if you plan on also drinking alcohol, I'd say. Please drink plenty of water.

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

For some reason i'm pretty tired so i'm drinking a coffee right now. Does anyone see a problem with having a coffee at 5:30 in the evening? (17:30 for all Europeans)

I don't. I usually drink coffee whenever. In fact, I just had my last cup 5 minutes ago (10:55 EST.)

tokyocean
  • tokyocean

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:33 AM Edited by tokyocean, 08 June 2014 - 01:33 AM.

Mine:

Iced Chai Tea Latte

Oprah Iced Chai Tea Latte

I used to like frappuccinos and the Iced Caramel Macchiato, but I grew out of it. What are your favorites?

SolidSnails
  • SolidSnails

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:20 AM

Starbucks?? Oh u mean the common white girl in her natural habitat
  • Moonshield likes this

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:27 AM

coffee.....
just like I like my woman. flat white with no sugar
  • Myron likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:36 AM

My favorite drink from Starbucks?

Saving 15 dollars by making your own coffee.

• Failure and SolidSnails like this

IanE55
  • IanE55

It's a kind of magic.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:42 AM

My favorite drink from Starbucks?

Saving 15 dollars by making your own coffee.

Shots fired.

• universetwisters likes this

ska
  • ska

Hemiplegia

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

I hate to sound like the pretentious one here, but coffee is actually a huge hobby of mine. I love experimenting with different roasts, brew ratios, and different preparation methods. I actually love to visit local coffee bars here in Austin and attend cuppings, which is essentially a sampling of different coffees.

Right now, I think my favorite coffee production method is using the pour-over brew system (I use a Hario V60, which is ceramic aka perfect for retaining heat) with 25 grams of San Jose Ocana by Cuvee Coffee and about 415 grams of 195-210 degree water. Makes for an excellent cup, with a nice toffee-like body and vanilla in the finish.

Coffee can actually taste fantastic and be a wonderful experience, you just have to go to the right coffee shop or find the right brew method. And honestly, it really comes down to the bean itself and who roasted it. You aren't going to have a very enjoyable cup of coffee if you go to your local Starbucks chain or buy Folgers because their roasting methods completely suck. Supporting your local businesses is awesome as well. Sure, there are a few douchy baristas out there, but for every douchy barista there's usually ten awesome ones.

• Moonshield likes this

SolidSnails
  • SolidSnails

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

I hate to sound like the pretentious one here, but coffee is actually a huge hobby of mine. I love experimenting with different roasts, brew ratios, and different preparation methods. I actually love to visit local coffee bars here in Austin and attend cuppings, which is essentially a sampling of different coffees.

Right now, I think my favorite coffee production method is using the pour-over brew system (I use a Hario V60, which is ceramic aka perfect for retaining heat) with 25 grams of San Jose Ocana by Cuvee Coffee and about 415 grams of 195-210 degree water. Makes for an excellent cup, with a nice toffee-like body and vanilla in the finish.

Coffee can actually taste fantastic and be a wonderful experience, you just have to go to the right coffee shop or find the right brew method. And honestly, it really comes down to the bean itself and who roasted it. You aren't going to have a very enjoyable cup of coffee if you go to your local Starbucks chain or buy Folgers because their roasting methods completely suck. Supporting your local businesses is awesome as well. Sure, there are a few douchy baristas out there, but for every douchy barista there's usually ten awesome ones.

whats thee best coffee you've ever had as in like the holy grail of coffee?

ska
  • ska

Hemiplegia

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

whats thee best coffee you've ever had as in like the holy grail of coffee?

It was a double shot of espresso from a local coffee vendor. It blew my mind and really changed how I felt towards drinking straight espresso, which needless to say was not something I actually wanted to do in the past. It was almost syrupy and sweet, with a really prevalent caramel and almost chocolate flavor. It was really just great.
  • SolidSnails likes this

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

Why are you reading this? Still reading? Just go already.

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:27 PM Edited by Lil Jacob 27, 08 June 2014 - 07:28 PM.

Idk why but I can hardly taste the difference between different types of coffee. I prefer tea tbh.

Keegeroo
  • Keegeroo

Benefactor Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:46 PM

Pretty addicted to caffeine, drink coffee daily. That said, I love the taste too. When I drink it hot I use a cone drip filter, splash of cream. Usually a darker roast. Any coffee on ice is good to me as long as it's not over sweet. 

Typically limit myself to one cup a day unless I'm working a double

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:58 AM

I recently picked up a 30 oz Chemex coffeemaker for when I make smaller batches (when I'm not making it in my 12 cup Cuisinart grind and brew drip). My french press broke a few months back and needed something to make a smaller batch, and this thing is great. It's easier to maintain than a french press, and works just as well.

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/

Chemex.jpg

I'm currently running through my final pound of one of my favorite coffees, la armonía hemosa. The new harvest won't be until the end of the summer, so it won't come into my local roaster until then. I'm super bummed.

• Keegeroo likes this

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

I'll choose the truth I like.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:12 AM Edited by PhilosophicalZebra, 11 June 2014 - 02:19 AM.

You know, it really is a plausible theory that you work for the NSA, Admiral. You want to know everything about us from what kind of coffee we drink to what we would do if given the chance to travel through history. cTOS, much?  :monocle:​ 

OT: I love coffee. I'm more of a tea guy, but I love coffee equally. I've been drinking it for a few years now, and I usually just take a strong Colombian from our Keurig machine. I always put half a teaspoon of brown sugar and quite a bit of cream. If given the chance, I like me some fresh brews from the Café Olimpico in downtown Montreal. Really good.

EDIT: Oh, and Timmies. I'm Canadian, so I had no choice but to be brought up around Tim Horton's. I find it quite good.

• SolidSnails likes this

SolidSnails
  • SolidSnails

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:34 AM

Timmies oh yes oooooohhhhh yyyyyeeeessssssss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users