Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is Full Metal Alchemist always dark and gloomy?

10 replies to this topic
tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:17 PM Edited by tymaster50, 07 January 2014 - 01:19 PM.

I swear I hear that piano music like every episode and I'm only on episode 17 of the original anime. That chimera episode threw me for a loop, can't believe tucker did that to his daughter lol. It feels like an alternate world naruto shippuden or something with all the sob stories and hidden pasts. 

And the short jokes are getting kind of annoying, also the misconception that al is full metal. Do they do those jokes every episode or does it let up?

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

What is this thread about? Is this either a television show or movie?

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

The jokes let up when the plot gets under way. But yeah, it's pretty gloomy all the way through, but it's a show about the evils of militarism and the fearful, violent nature of Western culture, what did you expect?

Also, we have a Movies and TV section.

RiaJay21
  • RiaJay21

Post-Post-Ironic

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

It's been a good few years since I watched this, but yeah. There are some pretty funny moments in there, but the general tone is still pretty dark. The short jokes ... hmm, like I say, been a few years, I don't think that they ever let up entirely, but I'm almost sure that they lessen. And about halfway through the series, things get much darker - but I won't spoil it for you! Tucker was definitely one of the darker characters, though, and his 'storyline' is probably one of the darkest in the series, definitely one of the most disturbing episodes for me, and I don't shake easily - probably has something to do with how horrific the transmutation was, and the fact that he did it to his 4-year-old daughter.

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:53 PM Edited by geobst, 07 January 2014 - 04:53 PM.

It's been a good few years since I watched this, but yeah. There are some pretty funny moments in there, but the general tone is still pretty dark. The short jokes ... hmm, like I say, been a few years, I don't think that they ever let up entirely, but I'm almost sure that they lessen. And about halfway through the series, things get much darker - but I won't spoil it for you! Tucker was definitely one of the darker characters, though, and his 'storyline' is probably one of the darkest in the series, definitely one of the most disturbing episodes for me, and I don't shake easily - probably has something to do with how horrific the transmutation was, and the fact that he did it to his 4-year-old daughter.

Spoiler

Edited by moderator: spoiler added (in the future, do so yourself).

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Here, let me help you out, since you've apparently having some trouble.

I think it's pretty en vogue for animes like this to be really melodramatic to help develop a story to bridge gaps with the insane cartoon action that's going on. Full Metal Alchemist seems to do it pretty well in comparison to a lot of other anime shows, but it still gets eye-rollingly cheesy.

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

wow that prison episode was intense lol. I'm watching the original 2003 anime btw. I never realize they were different until a few minutes ago. I just though FMA:B was a sequel, but they are the same except fma:b follows the story and has faster pacing. 

RiaJay21
  • RiaJay21

Post-Post-Ironic

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

Spoiler

Not sure if this all counts as a spoiler, but just in case:

Spoiler

But things will pick up in terms of pace. The series, I found, was quite episodic for a long time, but things were still tied together. The main issue, I think, was that they were adapting from an ongoing manga, which was why it veered off course like it did. 

Which is the primary difference between the 2003 series and Brotherhood. Brotherhood is much closer to the manga. I still loved the '03 series, though.

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:28 PM Edited by tymaster50, 07 January 2014 - 10:46 PM.

Spoiler

Not sure if this all counts as a spoiler, but just in case:

Spoiler

But things will pick up in terms of pace. The series, I found, was quite episodic for a long time, but things were still tied together. The main issue, I think, was that they were adapting from an ongoing manga, which was why it veered off course like it did. 

Which is the primary difference between the 2003 series and Brotherhood. Brotherhood is much closer to the manga. I still loved the '03 series, though.

yeah hughes, im on ep 31 now so more than halfway through the series, it def does keep the dark tone. im not surprised by anything due to the fact i spoil myself all the time, so i know who wrath was before the characters knew lol. I already saw the FMA:B ending on youtube and the full episode on my computer so it doesn't come as a revelation either. It is fun to watch though but 60 eps is too short. 

Gotta hand it to the makers, they aren't afraid to kill anyone off brutally or imply rape lol

And yeah you were right, skipped forward some eps and it all went by so quickly. Ep 42 and I can feel the end rapidly approaching, all the villains are pretty much in one spot and the brothers are against a wall. Also the big revelation. 

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:34 AM

Here, let me help you out, since you've apparently having some trouble.

I think it's pretty en vogue for animes like this to be really melodramatic to help develop a story to bridge gaps with the insane cartoon action that's going on. Full Metal Alchemist seems to do it pretty well in comparison to a lot of other anime shows, but it still gets eye-rollingly cheesy.

I'm at a loss as to how you'd make a show about fear, militarism and the abuse of science without it being "melodramatic." 

• AceRay likes this

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

Even though Alex Louis Armstrong is an obvious joke character, I friggin love him, in the 2003 adaptation and FMAB. 10/10 from me lol. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users