Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why do people find it so hard to go on rampages with Niko?

27 replies to this topic
Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Something that has always bugged me since GTA IV released is how people complain killing in free roam goes against Niko's character, but why? I know Niko regrets a lot of the things he's done in the past, but why is it such a problem for some people?

You never hear people complain about Tommy delivering pizzas in VC even though it goes completely against his character because why would he care about doing that? or throughout the GTA III era the protagonists saving people in a ambulance after doing so much to kill them in the first place. I suppose it's
ok for the GTA III era GTAs?

I really don't find going on rampages with Niko that strange. I don't do it as much as I used to, but it puzzles why people find it such a problem when it's possible to only kill in GTA IV those Niko's ordered to.

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Well, the side missions you mentioned have practical benefits. Pizza delievery may not be something Tommy would do, but when the reward is cash and extra health, there's an incentive to ignore the disconnect. Rampages have no practical benefit, they're just fun.

Perhaps it's the realistic streak that makes people more uncomfortable with it. Due to technological improvements, pedestrians feel more real to me than they do in the 3D games, so I feel slightly more guilty about going on rampages than I did in the 3D games (slightly).

It might also have something to do with Niko's dialog. Most protagonists taunt their victims, but Niko's dialog tends to be things like "Don't make me kill you!" which might take people out of the experience. I've also heard that NPC dialog and actions tend to be darker than other games. Like hitting someone with a car will produce "Ow, my hip!" instead of hilarious ragdolling, and that downed cops might say "Tell my wife I love her!" I didn't pay enough attention to tell you if all that's true or not, it's just something I've seen brought up.

Keep in mind that I have no problem going on rampages, I'm just trying to find explanations for why other people might.

daliakiller
  • daliakiller

weed farmer

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

i personally love to rampage with niko. he dont speak too much, has a f*cked up past, try to leave some killing and violence to search for the american dream and returned to the same killing and violence he was used to. who knows what the f*ck is in his head? he is a cold killer, war veteran.. rampages with him could be easily justified as posttraumatic stress disorders, for those who bitch about killing with him.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

i personally love to rampage with niko. he dont speak too much, has a f*cked up past, try to leave some killing and violence to search for the american dream and returned to the same killing and violence he was used to. who knows what the f*ck is in his head? he is a cold killer, war veteran.. rampages with him could be easily justified as posttraumatic stress disorders, for those who bitch about killing with him.

I feel the same way.

His experience in the war is more than enough justification. Even if he wants to try and escape his past. People with the experiences of Niko are not right in the head.

I just picture it as Niko releasing all of that anger and pain.

JaysonVoorhees
  • JaysonVoorhees

Psycho-logist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:53 PM Edited by JaysonVoorhees, 07 January 2014 - 01:54 PM.

Rampages go against all the GTA protagonists characters. Even Trevor. They're not into crime for the senseless killing, they're into it for the money and/or because they have no other choice. They have no reason to kill random people nor would they want to deal with the cops over something if they didn't need to.

Regarding pizzas with Tommy - I don't know. My first instinct would be yeah, it does go against his character. But again, he's into a lot of things purely for the money. And when he was going to buy the Cherry Popper ice cream factory, he thought he was buying a legitimate business just like with the printing company.

I guess the only exception could be Claude since we know next to nothing about him.

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

Rampages go against all the GTA protagonists characters. Even Trevor. They're not into crime for the senseless killing, they're into it for the money and/or because they have no other choice. They have no reason to kill random people nor would they want to deal with the cops over something if they didn't need to.

Ha ha ha...I can see you haven't played enough as Trevor. I can give you many examples of him causing havoc just because he feels like it.

JaysonVoorhees
  • JaysonVoorhees

Psycho-logist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Ha ha ha...I can see you haven't played enough as Trevor. I can give you many examples of him causing havoc just because he feels like it.

He always has a motivation though. E.g. Because a redneck dissed him, he saw a Lost MC biker or because he met a banker. He doesn't massacre everyone for the hell of it.

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

But his motives are sometimes so petty that they might as well be for the hell of it. And some of the transition indicate that he causes a lot of trouble when he's drunk or high, where he probably wouldn't need much motivation.

And while he might not go on a full on rampage for no reason, he does hurt or kill some people just for his amusement.

lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

I believe I created a similar topic a couple of years back, and it was concluded that rampages can be considered 'non-canon' for these reasons. They are fun, but pointless for any character to do so.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:39 AM

Its never been hard for me to do so. I do get immersed with Niko's character but that does not limit me from having the fun I have in almost every 3D GTA.

I love to dress Niko up like a boss and drive around in a silver-grey Super GT and sometimes start fights with Russian or Asian gangs or get chased by the police. I remember the chase "rampages" I went on. Somehow easing my way through tight situations, expertly dropping grenades for the cops cars to drive over and explode, etc. I have always caused crazy sh*t to happen in IV.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:52 AM

Do people Really think like that? Jesus when im f*cking Around on Gta its ME who is f*cking around Not Niko LOL 

• nobum62 and Viper9502 like this

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:00 AM

A key difference with Niko is his relationships. Roman, Mallorie, and Kate are not naive about Niko being a murdering criminal, but what would they think if Niko went on a senseless killing spree for no reason? Niko does what he has to do. He may well be emotionally damaged enough to go on a rampage, but I don't see how he'd come back from it to be the character who completes the story with friendships intact.

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:00 AM

Niko is whomever the person playing as him wants him to be. For example, I can dress him up in fancy clothes and have an Infernus and act like a superstar. Or he can have average clothes and just use taxis. It's up to the player that uses Niko to decide. But if you are doing the story missions it doesn't really matter in the end. You are going to have to kill people. Many people. Heck, that's part of what makes gta. Killing, robbing and having fun in the process.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Once an SFPD officer, now a Templar

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

I believe I created a similar topic a couple of years back, and it was concluded that rampages can be considered 'non-canon' for these reasons. They are fun, but pointless for any character to do so.

Yup, that's what I think about rampages too. Or anything else that happens outside of main story for that matter. Free roam is, in my mind, sort of an alternative universe.

lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

You're right, anything the player does outside of missions (which could even stretch to anything that happens outside of cutscenes) technically cannot be canon because it is up to the player. There must also be several alternative universes because of the various choices the player can make in the storyline (i.e. killing or sparing someone, killing one or the other, etc).

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Peon

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

I have no qualms about it. Truthfully, I find it quite amusing when I'll purposely run over a bunch of pedestrians and Niko will say, "Only in America do they let blind people drive!"

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

Hard? Rampages with Niko are definitely the best. Just for hearing him mad rants is worth it.

nobum62
  • nobum62

some guy who just got into the santa hat fad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:12 AM

I cant see why people complain about rampages for any character. there's gameplay and plot segregation you know
  • Drunken Cowboy likes this

Ixnay
  • Ixnay

Fait ce que Voudras

• Members

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:40 PM Edited by Ixnay, 09 January 2014 - 05:41 PM.

Hmm, I've never thought that; but when I'm in the mood for wandering around and causing trouble, I basically detach those actions from the storyline. I don't see it as "playing the game" but rather "goofing off."

And it's a lot more fun with Niko than anyone in V.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Disreputable Mexican Pharmacist

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:41 AM

I don't see the incentive of "rampages" anyway.

It immediately results in cops. Cops are not easy or fun to fight in a vehicle, and it's just really a turkey shoot if you decide to hold in the hospital or something until you run out of gun food, or those shotgun snipers get a couple lucky shots in you.

I wish IV had some more structured and logical sequences of combat outside the campaign, like TLaD and TBoGT's gang and drug wars. Always fun for a quick slaughterfest, a decent challenge, but with a goal and it made sense to be doing them... plus cashola!

• Miamivicecity, gunziness and Viper9502 like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic. Law Enforcement Enthusiast.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

I feel that going on rampages doesn't suit Niko's personality. He even wanted to stop killing even though that was all he seemed to do.

Yolo Swaggins
  • Yolo Swaggins

Founder/C.E.O. of the Kool Kidz Klub

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

I like to pretend he has PTSD. Gives him an excuse to go on killing frenzies.

gunziness
  • gunziness

Peon

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

Only time i do rampages is after i save and im about to quit the game, never did one and saved afterwards.
Im one of those who think it dont fit the character haha, and i consider the last two minutes that i play after a save as non existent events for the game, all events that goes on when i play, must be saved in order to consider them valid and real for the story, weird isnt it? Haha.

This aplies to niko, johnny, luis and even CJ, i used the same rule while playing SA, since there were enough validated reasons to do rampages in that game(turfwars, shotouts when on enemy neighborhoods, etc), and gang/drug wars in eflc.

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:28 PM Edited by thatGuyyy, 22 January 2014 - 10:31 PM.

I'm never in character when I go on rampages, it doesn't make sense trying to justify Niko's actions when he's mindlessly killing innocent people

No GTA protaganists would kill without a reason, even Trevor

Viper9502
  • Viper9502

仁侠団体

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:41 PM Edited by Viper9502, 01 February 2014 - 08:41 PM.

I don't see the incentive of "rampages" anyway.

It immediately results in cops. Cops are not easy or fun to fight in a vehicle, and it's just really a turkey shoot if you decide to hold in the hospital or something until you run out of gun food, or those shotgun snipers get a couple lucky shots in you.

I wish IV had some more structured and logical sequences of combat outside the campaign, like TLaD and TBoGT's gang and drug wars. Always fun for a quick slaughterfest, a decent challenge, but with a goal and it made sense to be doing them... plus cashola!

Only thing I really have to add besides there being no incentive for rampages outside of the campaign is that the developers took their time for some intriguing level design which for me IS the highlight of the game where you can find yourself in riveting scenarios that you may have never experienced in a video game before or possibly hasn't been done in the video game industry. There is so much depth that you can miss out on from the brilliant script writing to landmarks or points of interest that you may miss if your gameplay is spent with no intended goals. The only GTA game where I have gone on rampages is GTA: V and Online because of the LEO's improved AI and yet, I enjoy every minute of it.  :)

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

My posts are brought to you by Chuckola Cola Drinks.

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

I cant see why people complain about rampages for any character. there's gameplay and plot segregation you know

Well, it's because people want to find something to complain about. If they run out of things to complain about, they come out with crap that doesn't make any sense. 

• Miamivicecity and Viper9502 like this

Hobs
  • Hobs

"Jolly Old Boy"

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

you can't hold a man for his actions if he was ordered to do so, this is a quote by me and its inspired by the monetary system,

best of luck hobs.

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

DONE.

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

Personally, I view rampages as a player-created diversion that for all intents and purposes essentially don't happen as far as the character and story are concerned. Kind of a 'save game, f*ck everything up, load it back up' scenario. Rampaging as Niko doesn't bother me because it never really happened, if you know what I mean.

• Viper9502 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users