Photo

Off-Road Vehicle Help

83 replies to this topic
G37
  • G37

G

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:19 AM Edited by G37, 07 January 2014 - 07:44 AM.

Decided it's time to venture into this category of vehicles. I have very little experience with these vehicles, so I'm seeking as much input as possible. I'll get to testing when I'm able. I want to get a couple things out of the way first:

- I understand the Sultan is a fantastic option for off road, not what I'm after here.

- I understand the Sanchez is a fantastic option as well, but again not what I'm seeking here.

- I understand the Dubsta and Patriot are also solid options, may be interested in that here.

I'm more so curious what the best vehicle from that class is for well - off-roading. I've read through a lot of material but it all basically goes cold quick. What I seem to have concluded is that:

- Sandking XL (now that its 4x4)

- Rebel

- Bodhi

Are the 3 best in that category of vehicles. I suppose the Merryweather Mesa can be an honorable mention and the Bifta/Dune Buggy can be follow ups to that. So we have 6 total vehicles (if you want to include those 3 mentions - but in my mind it's those 3), from your experience which is the best vehicle as a whole in this class and why (if you have a different one for races vs Free Roam, feel free to indicate that too)?

With that in mind, are the Dubsta and Patriot (SUV) decent to good alternatives for an "off-road" vehicle in comparison? Appreciate the feedback.

Also wanted to add: for mods, do I want to keep as much ground clearance as possible? I.E. stock suspension and nothing that extends the vertical length of the vehicle to the ground?

EDIT: Not sure if the Mesa is 4x4 now or not, if that impacts a decision or not.

Digitalbulletz
  • Digitalbulletz

bad ass mofo

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

The landstalker

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:46 AM Edited by Biohazard Abyss, 07 January 2014 - 07:47 AM.

Bodhi, Sandking XL, and Dubsta/Dubsta V2.

Mesa is the worst off-road vehicle in the game.  Do NOT get it.

0_0.jpg

My Bodhi is ready.

• Scoobroid likes this

wanes
  • wanes

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

I went up mount chiliad in seconds with the infernus XD.

Jobbo
  • Jobbo

Hustler

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

Your post has finally led me to stop lurking and register - I love the off-roading, and there are plenty of off-road user-created races to enjoy :)

One thing first; the Dubsta and Patriot are actually in the SUV category, though you can pick an unmodified Dubsta for an off-road category race.  I've got a modified Dubsta in my garage but that is only permitted into SUV class races; bonkers.  The same might be true for the Patriot; I did buy and modify one this week but didn't much like it so sold it before trying to race it.  The Sultan won't be permitted in any off-road races anyway, so you're right to dismiss that; the Sanchez is good if there's no deep water or mud.

My particular favourite is the Sandking SWB.  I have both that and the XL mostly fully modded; they were probably more controllable without turbos to be honest.  It's hard to be slow enough for rock crawling now.  The SWB is just a bit more manoeuvrable and doesn't get grounded as much as the XL,but obviously only seats two.  Some things I've discovered:

- although the suspension modifications visually lower the car, they don't seem to affect the wading ability in really deep water, and they definitely benefit handling.

- using bling SUV/High end alloys isn't any real hindrance compared to off-road wheels.

- as you say, avoid the fuel tanks and deep front spoilers for best off-road ability.

- in this form the Sandkings drive over armco barriers almost as if they're not even there.

Planning to buy a Rebel next to give that a go.  Having driven the Bodhi extensively in SP, I'm not so interested in that; it's just too low-slung.

Oh, and the Merryweather Mesa can wade up to its roof quite happily; I was rather amazed to see it come out the other side after driving through the end of the Zancudo river.  Not got one myself, and I'm told they're a bit bouncy.

Bifta/Dune Buggy are great if there's not too much wading or rock crawling.

kasheku
  • kasheku

Somewhere in LS

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

BeeJay is way better than the Rebel.

Should go as so:

Sandking

Rancher XL

BeeJay XL

Anything else is mundane at best

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

I went up mount chiliad in seconds with the infernus XD.

No!!!

G37
  • G37

G

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

Your post has finally led me to stop lurking and register - I love the off-roading, and there are plenty of off-road user-created races to enjoy :)

One thing first; the Dubsta and Patriot are actually in the SUV category, though you can pick an unmodified Dubsta for an off-road category race.  I've got a modified Dubsta in my garage but that is only permitted into SUV class races; bonkers.  The same might be true for the Patriot; I did buy and modify one this week but didn't much like it so sold it before trying to race it.  The Sultan won't be permitted in any off-road races anyway, so you're right to dismiss that; the Sanchez is good if there's no deep water or mud.

My particular favourite is the Sandking SWB.  I have both that and the XL mostly fully modded; they were probably more controllable without turbos to be honest.  It's hard to be slow enough for rock crawling now.  The SWB is just a bit more manoeuvrable and doesn't get grounded as much as the XL,but obviously only seats two.  Some things I've discovered:

- although the suspension modifications visually lower the car, they don't seem to affect the wading ability in really deep water, and they definitely benefit handling.

- using bling SUV/High end alloys isn't any real hindrance compared to off-road wheels.

- as you say, avoid the fuel tanks and deep front spoilers for best off-road ability.

- in this form the Sandkings drive over armco barriers almost as if they're not even there.

Planning to buy a Rebel next to give that a go.  Having driven the Bodhi extensively in SP, I'm not so interested in that; it's just too low-slung.

Oh, and the Merryweather Mesa can wade up to its roof quite happily; I was rather amazed to see it come out the other side after driving through the end of the Zancudo river.  Not got one myself, and I'm told they're a bit bouncy.

Bifta/Dune Buggy are great if there's not too much wading or rock crawling.

Haha, awesome. Dubsta seems to be an amazing SUV for urban crawling that can double as a solid off-road choice, so that might be a possibility. Obviously it isn't intended for rock crawling, but it should be able to hold it's own on dirt/sand and be able to climb hills.

May come down to that or the Sandking for me then. Are there any other advantages to the SWB (shorter wheel base) Sandking over the XL? Is it just as oversized height wise?

Ankarstrom
  • Ankarstrom

Scooter brother

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:00 AM

For free mode I use the Dubsta it make perfect sense off road and, if you like the gangsta look, feel free to bring it downtown. Unfortunately I cannot enter a off road race with it (its modified). For off road racing, nothing beats the Sanchez if you can avoid falling that is...

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:03 AM Edited by TeammateAssist, 07 January 2014 - 08:03 AM.

Sandking XL needs a little lowering to help it manage more on the road and on the dirt. Height thing going on.

Dubsta was okay when I tried. Patriot I'll have to check.

EDIT: How come you're restricting yourself to off-road vehicles or SUVs though? The truck look?

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:03 AM Edited by SFBryan18, 07 January 2014 - 08:07 AM.

Well, I only care about cosmetics when it comes to off-roading so I am very happy with the Merryweather Mesa. As for which is the best for the job, I don't care. Really though, the best off-road vehicle in the game is a super car.

• kasheku likes this

T-Offline
  • T-Offline

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

I used my dubsta for a long time. Its a great offroader. But the serrano have mutch more traction and is able to go ways the dubsta get stuck.

G37
  • G37

G

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:08 AM Edited by G37, 07 January 2014 - 08:09 AM.

Sandking XL needs a little lowering to help it manage more on the road and on the dirt. Height thing going on.

Dubsta was okay when I tried. Patriot I'll have to check.

EDIT: How come you're restricting yourself to off-road vehicles or SUVs though? The truck look?

I have a Sultan. I'll likely get a Bati 801. The Sultan is a jack of all trades to me and a car I use for missions often considering terrain can change instantly, and I'll get a bike specifically for the urban environment/races. I suppose I want a dedicated off-road vehicle to just mess around with north of Los Santos. The only reason I'm interested in the Dubsta too is because it can do what it does in an urban environment, but it seems to be very decent when pavement turns to dirt and there's hills (clearly not rock climbing).

Jolly Swagman
  • Jolly Swagman

Has a jumbuck in his tucker bag

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:14 AM Edited by Jolly SWAGman, 07 January 2014 - 08:18 AM.

The bodhi probably is the best besides its relatively low clearance. I also like the Beejay XL in the SUV class, I think I prefer it even over the dubsta in that class. Dubsta is great though.
I've had a few rebels but always end up getting rid of the them. Too slow for me but even worse their wheels seem to deform quicker than most other off roads. Gotta love that Baja cover though.
Sand king is an ok option if that is your style, now it has been boosted. You will never win a race in one though.
If you just want something that will win off road races get a Bifta. It's not four wheel drive though and I don't really call it off road in the same way as the cars above.

OOM 313
  • OOM 313

Thug

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

Do not overlook the Duneloader, Rancher, and Sadler. They are great off roaders too!

Jolly Swagman
  • Jolly Swagman

Has a jumbuck in his tucker bag

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

Do not overlook the Duneloader, Rancher, and Sadler. They are great off roaders too!

That is true. It might take half an hour for the old girl to chugg up the hill but the duneloader will always get there eventually.

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

ive jsut ventured into using a sandking (unfortunately the XL for now, but id prefer the SWB for the reduced grounding from shorter wheel base) and that thigns a beast...

i also opted not to have the fuel tanks and the custom bumper or any lowering as i prefer the extra clearance, but she is a little skippy on the road beign so damn high...

ive also got a dusta on my other character, for customisation options i love this lil truck, slapped on some offroad wheels for the visual more than anything and she looks at home on the hills, but doesnt quite have the torque id like.

used to have a rebel but i didnt find myself using much after the first night i got it, was fun to do a bit of mini rock crawling but the sandking beats it hands down and the dubsta looks alot cooler, despite it being an suv... jsut a shame those damn snorkels are pointless,,, who has a snorkel but still has a rear exhaust??

Edwin
  • Edwin

Ready to race?

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:40 AM Edited by iEdwin, 07 January 2014 - 08:42 AM.

0_0.jpg

My Bodhi is ready.

Am I seeing sh*t, or is your Bodhi spotless?

#doublepun

G37
  • G37

G

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

ive jsut ventured into using a sandking (unfortunately the XL for now, but id prefer the SWB for the reduced grounding from shorter wheel base) and that thigns a beast...

i also opted not to have the fuel tanks and the custom bumper or any lowering as i prefer the extra clearance, but she is a little skippy on the road beign so damn high...

ive also got a dusta on my other character, for customisation options i love this lil truck, slapped on some offroad wheels for the visual more than anything and she looks at home on the hills, but doesnt quite have the torque id like.

used to have a rebel but i didnt find myself using much after the first night i got it, was fun to do a bit of mini rock crawling but the sandking beats it hands down and the dubsta looks alot cooler, despite it being an suv... jsut a shame those damn snorkels are pointless,,, who has a snorkel but still has a rear exhaust??

Lol. I'll have to try both versions when I get the chance. The Mesa seemed like a possibility but I just don't think it's as practical as the Sandking for this purpose. The Dubsta serving two purposes is intriguing as well.

SecludedMemory
  • SecludedMemory

Lysergified

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:50 AM Edited by SecludedMemory, 07 January 2014 - 08:52 AM.

I've never been able to pick just one, so my garage has been going through off-road vehicles for a while now. 

BF Injection has been my baby since the beginning and was the first car I insured when I got a garage. It's not on your list, but it's one of my personal favorites. It's RWD, obviously performs great out in the desert, and can hold it's own on the mountainside when you have enough speed built up. I really like the handling on roads compared to trucks too. One of the really good things about it is the rear window is tiny so it's also good from a defensive standpoint.                                                                           

The Bodhi is a real beast and in my travels I've been able to do vertical climbing climbing in that. The biggest downside is how exposed you are, but there's a big plus in that it can seat four and the two passengers in the bed of the truck can use some of the heavier guns and have a good arc of fire. It's a great ride to use on missions.  

And a Baja Rebel, which I mostly take out to go just go cruising around or dune jumping in the desert, but it's good everywhere. In my opinion out of all the trucks it's the most fun to drive. The baja roll cover pretty much makes you invincible from behind. You definitely can't beat the price.

As for which is the best for the job, I don't care. Really though, the best off-road vehicle in the game is a super car.

Not always, and only if they have momentum. There aren't any 4x4 supercars. Plus anyone who shows up in a supercar to go on a trek looks like a douche. 

AfterDeath
  • AfterDeath

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

0_0.jpg

My Bodhi is ready.

Am I seeing sh*t, or is your Bodhi spotless?

#doublepun

The lighter the color you paint the Bodhi, the more the tarnish of the paint disappears. The rust still remains, though.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Take more pictures, my daughters would love to see them.

TWA B747
  • TWA B747

Captain Jake

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Two words: Canis Kalahari.

Yes it looks like a golfcart on steroids but it is part mountain goat and when its fully upgraded it will damn near drive up a vertical cliff.

Plus its free! Give it a shot.

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:56 AM Edited by SFBryan18, 07 January 2014 - 08:57 AM.

As for which is the best for the job, I don't care. Really though, the best off-road vehicle in the game is a super car.

Not always, and only if they have momentum. There aren't any 4x4 supercars. Plus anyone who shows up in a supercar to go on a trek looks like a douche. 

Most if not all the super cars are 4 wheel drive. Entity and Adder for sure. I assume the rest as well. Go test it because I already have many times.

SecludedMemory
  • SecludedMemory

Lysergified

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:05 AM Edited by SecludedMemory, 07 January 2014 - 09:05 AM.

Most if not all the super cars are 4 wheel drive. Entity and Adder for sure. I assume the rest as well. Go test it because I already have many times.

If you have a Sandking, Rebel or Bodhi take it outside of your garage and find a flat wall you can pull up to and drive full throttle into. 

Now get into any super car and do the same thing.

Notice a difference?

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:08 AM Edited by Biohazard Abyss, 07 January 2014 - 09:09 AM.

The lighter the color you paint the Bodhi, the more the tarnish of the paint disappears. The rust still remains, though.

Barely noticeable though.  The only visible rust is in the back of the Bodhi, in the bed.

The twin intakes hood covers the rust on the hood, and the paintjob completely makes it look clean matte white.

I luvs eet.

z0etr0pe
  • z0etr0pe

Grand Theft Horse

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

dubsta, son.

i-nxknCN6-L.jpg

Squirrel__Army
  • Squirrel__Army

XDBX

• Members
  • England

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

Check out the off road races in my signature. Only the sandking can do them comfortably. Especially rolling in the deep. There's a lot of tricky deep water sections

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

If you have a Sandking, Rebel or Bodhi take it outside of your garage and find a flat wall you can pull up to and drive full throttle into. 

Now get into any super car and do the same thing.

Notice a difference?

You tell me. I am certain the Entity and Adder are 4WD.

SuperJude™
  • SuperJude™

Lifelong fan of the number "42"

• D1RTY12
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

BIFTA!

Hi, my name is Jude and I'm a Bifta addict.

Now...

I've owned a few Off Road vehicles, probably the class I've had the most of. Some thoughts.

Injection/Volkswagon - I wanted to love this vehicle so so badly but its performance in races was very lacking and just not *that* great offroad

Merriweather Mesa - One of the best looking vehicles in the game when modded out but also handles terribly, will flip over with ease and not super great uphill.

Sandking - This was fairly dope, enjoyed my time with this vehicle. Not the fastest so you'll get crushed in races but as a driving vehicle off road, this one is proper.

Sanchez - Purchased as a bike, raced as "off road" and honestly the best all around vehicle besides the Bifta for racing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users