Photo

K/D... is it really that important?

417 replies to this topic
DJ Kornphlake
  • DJ Kornphlake

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:50 AM

There are so many variables that contribute to k/d ratio that the stat is rather useless for assessing skill.

beanzinapot
  • beanzinapot

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:17 AM

Never cared about K/D ratios in games. .70 for me. Same as CoD, and Battlefield. Never have had a K/D ratio no more than .78.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

Never cared about K/D ratios in games. .70 for me. Same as CoD, and Battlefield. Never have had a K/D ratio no more than .78.

Gutted bro.

Kammakazi
  • Kammakazi

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

Mine is 3.49.......

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:09 AM

KDR and Win loss ratio are probably the most useful stats in the game in determining skill. High KDR usually shows you know more about the meta game, the strategies used to win, the counters etc. Its easy to exploit in this game though because so many people don't know how to utilize the tools in the game to help them survive, imo that falls on them though.

If that's the case, then why do I always seem to have the misfortune of being stuck with these high k/d ratio, no talent ass clowns who never seem to make it beyond wave 3 in survival?

What a load of crap. How the f*ck is any skill associated with sneak killing someone who is minding their own business shopping or going about their business on the map? Especially if that someone isn't interested in engaging in PvP?

K/D means NOTHING in FM.  It should only work in the DMs (with auto aim 100% disabled) because that's where the REAL skilled professional killers are. Not some cowardly PvP situation  where a pimply faced rug rat thinks he's an OG for killing someone in passive mode---by repeatedly running them over with their PV. Or repeatedly shooting at them with their tank etc.

• Magick, Tabula Rasa and ll Noble 6 ll like this

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

KDR and Win loss ratio are probably the most useful stats in the game in determining skill. High KDR usually shows you know more about the meta game, the strategies used to win, the counters etc. Its easy to exploit in this game though because so many people don't know how to utilize the tools in the game to help them survive, imo that falls on them though.

If that's the case, then why do I always seem to have the misfortune of being stuck with these high k/d ratio, no talent ass clowns who never seem to make it beyond wave 3 in survival?

What a load of crap. How the f*ck is any skill associated with sneak killing someone who is minding their own business shopping or going about their business on the map? Especially if that someone isn't interested in engaging in PvP?

K/D means NOTHING in FM.  It should only work in the DMs (with auto aim 100% disabled) because that's where the REAL skilled professional killers are. Not some cowardly PvP situation  where a pimply faced rug rat thinks he's an OG for killing someone in passive mode---by repeatedly running them over with their PV. Or repeatedly shooting at them with their tank etc.

Yeah I agree it should just be DM. By skill, I simply meant competitive gaming skill, playing against an AI in survival is a whole different type of skill. The AI is getting better at adapting to human strategies but even so its still pretty flawed.

And yeah there are way too many ways to exploit people in freeroam, which is why its better to go by other stats such as weapon kills etc. But then you may as well just look at their tints I suppose. 

gamefarter
  • gamefarter

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:38 AM

Do any of you bother checking the k/d ratio of other players? I personaly have not. Just wondering.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:41 AM

Before a DM I might, simply to get a feel for what kind of game it will be.

beanzinapot
  • beanzinapot

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:46 AM

Gutted bro.

Don't know what that means, but ok.

Muse182
  • Muse182

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

I don't care about K/D personally. Back in my CoD days, I found it pretty sad that over 90% of arguments always ended up in one of the players checking the K/D and if it was below 1.00, they would use it in the argument like it was some sort of life accomplishment to have a good K/D.

Seriously, I could smell the virginity through the mic, it was that bad. If someone isn't good at a game then so be it. If everyone was at the same level then it would be boring. Same principal in real life. People always judge and complain about how others live their lives but at the end of the day, we wouldn't have it any other way.

• Magick likes this

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:00 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 07 January 2014 - 03:00 PM.

in a game like this it's pretty irrelevant

besides in pretty much any game, 1 statistic is pretty useless on it's own

it's like saying you're good at soccer because you have made more passes or something

and in gta online passes made in training count as well XD

killa_b
  • killa_b

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

Do any of you bother checking the k/d ratio of other players? I personaly have not. Just wondering.

I do check but only to see if maybe they could be a tank scrub or a camper. I'll have a little look on the map and see what they're up to. Also usually found in a buzzard for quick getaway.

Pfister Comet
  • Pfister Comet

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

I don't even know what my K/D ratio is.

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

"Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?"

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

Check their death match win/loss ratio, it's more accurate. My k/d is 1.56 but Iv won 120 DMs and loss 42

watchclock
  • watchclock

Hustler

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

I took it seriously until TANKS!!! The epidemic

It could still be useful if you also can check someone's Rhino kills.

KD ratio is never important in any game.. Especially GTA.

KD ratio in public random games?  I never understood this with game devs.

Maybe in serious games with cometitive players.  But the fact that the game records every single death and kill is kind of dumb.

Something tells me you get killed allot more than you kill.

gear999
  • gear999

I need to change my picture

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

I took it seriously until TANKS!!! The epidemic

It could still be useful if you also can check someone's Rhino kills.

KD ratio is never important in any game.. Especially GTA.

KD ratio in public random games?  I never understood this with game devs.

Maybe in serious games with cometitive players.  But the fact that the game records every single death and kill is kind of dumb.

Something tells me you get killed allot more than you kill.
Such bump
Very thread
Wow

BewareoftheBears
  • BewareoftheBears

BruinsVindicated

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

3.55, K/D is everything in this game. Anything under 3 is complete sh*t and you should be embarrassed.

uhlinyaface
  • uhlinyaface

CONFLICTED

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

I don't really care about my KDR. It's just another stat.

Jaggs
  • Jaggs

Homie

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

In a pure FPS shooter like Quake, it is important. In GTA, where the game is all about screwing around in Free Mode, not so much. Especially since the key to having a huge K/D is using a tank all the time.

I like to not attack most of the time, doing very dangerous stunts, suicide bombing and sometimes even go up to people and give them the bounty that is on me.

K/D doesn't do anything for you in this game, it would have been better if they left the stat out completely.

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

Meep Meep.

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:37 PM Edited by SirMichaelRocks23, 19 January 2014 - 10:34 PM.

It's not important, but I like to have a decent one.
At the moment, I have a 2.01. I like to keep mine above a 2.0 though. Guess it came from playing CoD a lot, even though I never broke 2.0 in those games. ._.

EDIT: Westbrook doesn't think KD is important.
Durant-Westbrook-GIF.gif

ijustcameheretobeeotch
  • ijustcameheretobeeotch

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

im working on getting a 4.20 k/d ratio. i dont care about k/d ratio, i just want to make the stoner joke.

im at 3.75 but im just gonna twank off until i get there.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Episodes from San Liberty

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

PTFO, whatever it is. Stealing cars right?

Kazandra
  • Kazandra

serial killer

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

K/D doesn't really matter in a game like GTA.  Even in deathmatch, where it might have more bearing, the balance issues (like being higher level means having more health AND better weapons) come into play.

If I wanted to I could spend all day in free roam tank griefing.  By the end of the day I guarantee you I could get my K/D up a full point.

Rinsaf
  • Rinsaf

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

K/D is only relevant when seeing if you or someone else is helping or hindering their team regularly.

If you are below 1.0, you're just a liability and should most likely find a more closely skilled grp to yourself. Anything after 1.0 doesnt matter, it just proves you are more of an asset than a hindrance. 

vaguecmac
  • vaguecmac

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:20 PM Edited by vaguecmac, 19 January 2014 - 09:21 PM.

With Heavy snipers and tanks and the fact that people you kill spawn 5 feet behind you and kill you back makes K/D in this game can not be used as a true measure of anything.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

It's been a ride

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

If you are below 1.0, you're just a liability and should most likely find a more closely skilled grp to yourself. Anything after 1.0 doesnt matter, it just proves you are more of an asset ASS.. 

Fixed it. 

I think that Rockstar should have used the reciprocal metric, Death-to-Kill ratio, as I suggest in my GTAV Bumper Stickers thread: 

vmuhrcs.png

It would make make so much more sense that way.  :colgate:

• PkUnzipper, gear999 and UchihaRingo like this

djdest
  • djdest

Playa

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

I don't even know what it means, so no, it doesn't mean a thing to me  :lol:

Crafty-
  • Crafty-

Trick

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

K/D ratio is pointless. For example: some guy block the entrance to my garage with a car and bombed it (and me) as soon as I exited the garage. Nothing I could do, by the time I had respawned he'd left, presumably for another session, so I didn't even get a chance to level the score. If you are determined to get a high ratio its easy. 

Gasmasks
  • Gasmasks

Megalomaniac

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

I like the fact people can see my KD ratio. It keeps people from attacking you if you have a good one, that is all. Normally when people see a good one, like above 1.5 they tend to back away. But most don't look at it so you end up sharpening your K/D ratio on them :D. It doesn't matter to me too much, but I'm quite happy with mine as it is 2.69 and that's without spawn killing noobs in tanks so I think that's about average? I dunno, who really cares? It doesn't impact my life at all if it goes up or down tbh.

watchclock
  • watchclock

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

What you find with auto aim is that they have a different skill set, but their K/d doesn't suddenly get higher. What increases is the number of times they get killed AS WELL as the number of times they kill others. Because of these higher stats an auto aim player will be less likely to have a high k/d ratio (because it's a ratio and because of power/law distributions). But they are also likely to be sh*t at free aim, so their low k/d won't dupe me.

To clarify: auto aim is a skill leveller - and skill levellers trend k/d toward 0

I should qualify this by also saying that auto-aim sessions probably have a greater variation in player skill than free aim (utter noobs / young kids and lazy predators) which will reduce the levelling effect a bit but not enough to nullify it. It is just too easy to get killed in auto aim by people who have little skill

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users