Photo

K/D... is it really that important?

417 replies to this topic
Lucius Aelius
  • Lucius Aelius

Loose Seals of LS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:35 PM Edited by Lucius Aelius, 01 February 2014 - 10:38 PM.

It's very simple. When I argue with idiots what tends to happen is I start off making a simple statement of a simple position. Then that statement is confused by said idiots so that I have to explain what I said again in more specific detail - this often requires two things 1. length and 2. abstraction (and the inclusion of 'long' words - actually they aren't necessarily long at all, they are esoteric) . It required 2. because basically what's happening when idiots get confused is I have to teach them how to think about something. This obviously causes a little loss of face and pride for those idiots who probably aren't aware that they are idiots - hence the 'he's using long words' riff that you are displaying.

I've certainly been known to use plenty of bigger words myself, you really just give the impression that you're trying too hard, like when I was writing an English paper back in school and forced in vocabulary words just to please my teacher even though I didn't think they really fit as well as a simpler word. Anyway I was just trying to find anything I could to make fun of you for, maybe I hit the mark with that one and maybe I didn't, you're still a troll and an asshole who has a massively inflated ego so don't let you being well spoken (or at least good at faking it) go to your head.

watchclock
  • watchclock

Hustler

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:20 PM Edited by watchclock, 01 February 2014 - 11:21 PM.

It's very simple. When I argue with idiots what tends to happen is I start off making a simple statement of a simple position. Then that statement is confused by said idiots so that I have to explain what I said again in more specific detail - this often requires two things 1. length and 2. abstraction (and the inclusion of 'long' words - actually they aren't necessarily long at all, they are esoteric) . It required 2. because basically what's happening when idiots get confused is I have to teach them how to think about something. This obviously causes a little loss of face and pride for those idiots who probably aren't aware that they are idiots - hence the 'he's using long words' riff that you are displaying.

I've certainly been known to use plenty of bigger words myself, you really just give the impression that you're trying too hard, like when I was writing an English paper back in school and forced in vocabulary words just to please my teacher even though I didn't think they really fit as well as a simpler word. Anyway I was just trying to find anything I could to make fun of you for, maybe I hit the mark with that one and maybe I didn't, you're still a troll and an asshole who has a massively inflated ego so don't let you being well spoken (or at least good at faking it) go to your head.
And you are sophomoric

Handsome Z
  • Handsome Z

Car Enthusiast/Creepy Fetishist.

• Van Society
  • Egypt

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

K/D doesn't = skill cuz you have poopdick

That's not that much worse than most of the posts on this thread

stop taking everything so seriously

watchclock
  • watchclock

Hustler

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

K/D doesn't = skill cuz you have poopdick

That's not that much worse than most of the posts on this thread

stop taking everything so seriously

I did find your post funny by the way

I.haigh
  • I.haigh

Girlwitbigtits

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

K/D doesn't equal skill because some people use tanks or glitches or other such things to buff it. Someone could be terrible at the game and still have a high K/D because they run around in tanks 24/7, someone could just be good at the game and have a high K/D, you never know for sure so you might as well not even take the K/D into account.

The only way to test someone's skills against your own is the go against them. Then again, this is a video game so who honestly gives a f*ck if you're good at it? No one is impressed, get over yourself, you're nothing special.

@watchclock.

Ezza.
  • Ezza.

It's a Massacromance

• Members
  • Australia
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:26 AM

It gives you bragging rights. Or "LOOK AT ME I"M A CHEATER" rights. That's it

AGiganticLlama
  • AGiganticLlama

Huge Llama Destruction!

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:55 AM

Doesn't matter to me on GTA, it's not competitive in my opinion. I play for the fun.

Niobium
  • Niobium

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:03 AM Edited by nobum62, 02 February 2014 - 04:03 AM.

I think K/D is a good way to show others how good you are at defending yourself. It's all about showing your actual skills off.

but this is usually not the case, as KD whores will use tanks to cheaply get a sh*t ton of kills against lvl 10s who only have a sh*tty micro smg to defend themselves
  • jameznash likes this

watchclock
  • watchclock

Hustler

• Members

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:09 AM Edited by watchclock, 02 February 2014 - 04:27 AM.

Doesn't matter to me on GTA, it's not competitive in my opinion. I play for the fun.

You're right it is not very competitive - highly competitive things are things where there isn't much variation in skill, like call of duty or running - things with lower competiveness (in which you see fewer changes in rank over time) have a higher variation in skill like for example chess and interestingly GTA:O.

It's just a confusion to associate difficulty with competitiveness - competitive things tend to be things which humans are all fairly good at, and are therefore relatively easy. Some games are simply easy and have a low average K/D with low variation between the highest K/D and the lowest.

The difference in running ability between Usain Bolt and your average truck driver are minuscule compared to the difference in chess ability between Kasparov and your average truck driver.

That is because bipedal running is something that humans have been designed by evolution to do extremely well. Chess on the other hand is something that has been designed by humans to be very difficult for humans to play. Sometimes humans create games to be easy for each other to play. One of the reasons they do this is to make lots and lots of $. It is a predictable feature of human psychology that they prefer easy things to difficult things. Hence COD.

GTA:O is odd because it is a non-mainstream style game that has had a very successful marketing campaign. Many of its players evidently do not understand its design at all and still view it on the easy game model, in the process getting themselves awfully upset about the large disparity in K/D between smart players and not so smart ones.

If you can't see how this applies to GTA:O K/D compared with other games - I don't know what to do for you other than point out that defending yourself in the game requires being crafty.
  • UnicornAssassin likes this

Handsome Z
  • Handsome Z

Car Enthusiast/Creepy Fetishist.

• Van Society
  • Egypt

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:28 AM

i have a high K/D in GTA because i never leave my ps3 controller

not even to take sh*ts

i have a lil brown mt everest in my tighty whities right now, that's how dedicated i am

my ps3 controller smells like ballsweat btw

and my fingers are covered in boogers and dorito dust

UnicornAssassin
  • UnicornAssassin

Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:50 AM

not even to take sh*ts

i have a lil brown mt everest in my tighty whities right now, that's how dedicated i am

I simply dragged my TV and fridge into my bathroom and now I just sit on the toilet to play, occasionally reaching over to the fridge to grab some food.

Thegemte
  • Thegemte

The_Gemte

• Members

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

It's GTA Online and there are too many things they factored in that shouldn't really shouldn't. Surprised they didn't put bank with bank loan applications with hideous interest rates for good measure and repossessions.

I don't care if am killed ultimately as long its whilst in mission, etc and not by some off the radar public lobby fool trying to please their K/D ego. It all eventually evens itself out.  I play the game for fun, not for K/D stats. As someone posted a page ago they try for the poor stats just to trick people even.

End of day its a game ultimately that has been plagued with problems online from the start. You play it to have fun. The stats i am more interested in are the ones in real life that affect my job and income, not what a game indicates.

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

Yes, because showing off my K/D ratio doesn't require an electron microscope. ;'(

really though, stats mean nothing beyond 'bragging rights' and keeping track of how much time people could've spent doing something productive.

• jameznash likes this

jameznash
  • jameznash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

K/D ratio's are mainly fake anyway. I have seen them at over a 100.00 loads of times. 7 people in my old crew had them higher than that.

When I started my 2nd character I left him on all day to see what people would do (work from home). I kept moving him so it would not time out.

He was killed 300+ times by people just wanting to improve there K/D ratio. Even though he was only level 6.

Loads of crews use specific players to rank up K/D ratio's. Just have one player stand still and spawn kill them over and over.

PLUS chasing people and Sniping people that are not going to fight back is like punching an old lady on the street then bragging to your friends that you are an amazing fighter.

• Kampioen likes this

nmrgoodnightn
  • nmrgoodnightn

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

I have had people sent me messages asking if they want to join their crew (i'm a 1.74 k/d). I usually say no tho cause alot of crews I see online just pick on ppl it be like 3 against 1.

So I can see a 2.0 k/d can be legit and is possible without a tank. I bought a tank at lvl 70 but lost it along with a few other Pegasus vehicles along lvl 75 when I started a new character. I'm lvl 102 or something now and still haven't bought a tank. Have more fun sniping ppl out of it!!

Niobium
  • Niobium

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:09 PM Edited by nobum62, 02 February 2014 - 02:10 PM.

not even to take sh*ts

I simply dragged my TV and fridge into my bathroom and now I just sit on the toilet to play, occasionally reaching over to the fridge to grab some food.

you must be this guy:
South-Park-WoW-Guy.jpg

UnicornAssassin
  • UnicornAssassin

Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:03 PM Edited by UnicornAssassin, 02 February 2014 - 03:09 PM.

not even to take sh*ts

you must be this guy:
South-Park-WoW-Guy.jpg

Several things wrong with that picture as it relates to me:

1. That guy is not sitting on a toilet: I am. Always.
  2. Fridge is not visible in immediate vicinity: therefore it may as well not exist at all.
  3. The window: I am a subterranean creature. A basement creature, to be precise.
  4. The window again: sunlight would instantly damage my translucent unweathered skin (see point 3).
  5. The wrist support: I have RSI in left hand, not my right.
  6. His stubble: I have not shaved in months. I still have no stubble.
  7. The Rockstar Energy Drink cans: I drink Red Bull. Because I want to fly like a brony.
  8. The PC: this game is only available on consoles right now.
  • Staten, GTA Banjo, Niobium and 2 others like this

zenifystone
  • zenifystone

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:32 PM Edited by zenifystone, 02 February 2014 - 03:33 PM.

I just play the game and have a positive K/D because I don't suck,

hahaha just have a negative kd, who cares? 

And since when does positive kd equal to "not sucking" this is new to this thread.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Well, it's obvious that if you have a high kd, you kill everyone you see.  But for me it's the race wins.

Kampioen
  • Kampioen

CenMan

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:57 PM Edited by CenMan, 03 February 2014 - 03:04 PM.

You're right it is not very competitive - highly competitive things are things where there isn't much variation in skill, like call of duty or running - things with lower competiveness (in which you see fewer changes in rank over time) have a higher variation in skill like for example chess and interestingly GTA:O.

It's just a confusion to associate difficulty with competitiveness - competitive things tend to be things which humans are all fairly good at, and are therefore relatively easy. Some games are simply easy and have a low average K/D with low variation between the highest K/D and the lowest.

The difference in running ability between Usain Bolt and your average truck driver are minuscule compared to the difference in chess ability between Kasparov and your average truck driver.

That is because bipedal running is something that humans have been designed by evolution to do extremely well. Chess on the other hand is something that has been designed by humans to be very difficult for humans to play. Sometimes humans create games to be easy for each other to play. One of the reasons they do this is to make lots and lots of $. It is a predictable feature of human psychology that they prefer easy things to difficult things. Hence COD.

GTA:O is odd because it is a non-mainstream style game that has had a very successful marketing campaign. Many of its players evidently do not understand its design at all and still view it on the easy game model, in the process getting themselves awfully upset about the large disparity in K/D between smart players and not so smart ones.

If you can't see how this applies to GTA:O K/D compared with other games - I don't know what to do for you other than point out that defending yourself in the game requires being crafty.

Bullsh*t, all games have an average k/d ratio of 1.0. If measured properly at least.

Oh, and the k/d ratio on GTA doesn't vary according to being smart or not so smart, it varies according to play style. If anything, GTA is an easy game compared to say CoD or Battlefield if a high k/d ratio is your goal. Just switch up your play style and even if you really suck at the game, you can get a high k/d ratio.

Lucius Aelius
  • Lucius Aelius

Loose Seals of LS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

I just play the game and have a positive K/D because I don't suck,

hahaha just have a negative kd, who cares? 

And since when does positive kd equal to "not sucking" this is new to this thread.

Taken out of context, I was saying it to the guy who played the game focusing on his K/D, frequently checking others' K/D's and running away if anyone ever started killing him back in a fight. If he was as good as he thinks he is he wouldn't need to prey on the hapless and weak in such a cowardly manner to have a "good" K/D (I really don't have much of an opinion of what makes a good K/D, it depends on what went into it), he could just play the game without looking at K/D's or playing as though they matter like me and he'd be able to just have a good ratio. I only said positive because I'm 1.5 and for me I just try to keep mine positive and I'm happy, not just in this game but games in general, which was more a statement about me than any standard for other people.
  • Niobium likes this

zenifystone
  • zenifystone

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

even if you really suck at the game, you can get a high k/d ratio.

^this should be your signature.

Khelandros
  • Khelandros

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Can someone explain K/D for me? I've seen players with 115 kills and 1354 deaths, with a 0.92 K/D ratio. I'm no math wizard but there is no way that is right.

watchclock
  • watchclock

Hustler

• Members

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:17 PM Edited by watchclock, 08 February 2014 - 08:17 PM.

Can someone explain K/D for me? I've seen players with 115 kills and 1354 deaths, with a 0.92 K/D ratio. I'm no math wizard but there is no way that is right.

Kills divided by deaths (or K/D)

Mine's now a magnificent 4.0

Gutslab
  • Gutslab

Bustre

• Members
  • Bhutan

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:37 AM

It's mostly pointless but I've been trying to increase mine to like 1.5 for fun. I've been keeping track of how much it changes. The amount of griefing I've done has increased a ton recently but the results don't show it, as I also get killed more now too.

Spoiler

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:39 AM

It's mostly pointless but I've been trying to increase mine to like 1.5 for fun. I've been keeping track of how much it changes. The amount of griefing I've done has increased a ton recently but the results don't show it, as I also get killed more now too.

Spoiler

Kill people while they are shopping.  It'll raise in no time  :santa:

GTAMYBABIES
  • GTAMYBABIES

Friendship Is Magic

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:39 AM

4.95. 953-192.

Gutslab
  • Gutslab

Bustre

• Members
  • Bhutan

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:45 AM

Kill people while they are shopping.  It'll raise in no time  :santa:

haha, I can't remember the last time I came across someone in a store. And that's just one additional kill. Best method for me to rack up a lot of kills is straight firefights. I'm trying to avoid using the tank.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users