K/D... is it really that important?

417 replies to this topic
CenMan
  • CenMan

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

I could have a much higher k/d ratio if I wanted to.

And you would accomplish that by....?

Killing back my attackers more frequently, or simply participating in more PvP fights. My k/d ratio becomes a little higher every time I do death matches or free mode fights. It then drops a little when I let myself get killed in free mode without killing back. I can't believe I actually have to answer this question because the answer is so obvious.
Which is why it's amazing you got the answer wrong. Revenge more won't work. You have to stop getting killed, otherwise the amount of kills you need to grow your k/d will get ridiculous

Did you fail math in 3rd grade? Revenge killing absolutely works... killed = -1... Revenge kill = +1 - result  = 0... follow up revenge kill.. +1 - secondary followup... +1...

I rarely engage any of you idiots in a freemode.. if I'm in a freemode, I'm there with friends, usually going from one place to another.. if I get killed on the way (and presumably lose the vehicle I was in) then I simply log out, log in, I'm either on a different server or the same one.. but I'm back at my apartment and ready to continue on what I was doing (but likely a different route - e.g. quick match or direct invite, etc).

I don't waste my time trying to fight around in freemode where it's pointless. the only exception is if a bunch of friends are doing it but I quickly would become bored with that and just go play by myself rather than circle jerk off with a bunch of moron kids (like the KDR whores who actually  think the stat reflects something meaningful).

I've got an idea.. I'll start a new character - kill 10 of you scrubs then sit in my apartment for the rest of my life... That'll show you...
Can you explain:

"Did you fail math in 3rd grade? Revenge killing absolutely works... killed = -1... Revenge kill = +1 - result = 0... follow up revenge kill.. +1 - secondary followup... +1..."

in some more detail please? I'm fascinated.

This is your response when somebody shows you  you're wrong? Just admit that post made no sense, because we both know it didn't. He showed you why both your points in that post were wrong, i.e. "revenge more won't work" and "you have to stop getting killed".

edit: actually I explained why the second one was wrong and you corrected yourself
I'm being polite because I'm not sure you understand what a ratio is.

I'm very well aware of what a ratio is. I've had plenty of education in math and statsitics. What makes you think I don't know what it is?

Sorry, see my edit. I thought PaulDpearl had replied to my reply, and I meant him.

Ah alright.

Black Rabbit
  • Black Rabbit

Owsla

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

To respond to your first sentence: I was

Why? This is not what people are discussing. 

Nobody that plays this game doesn't understand how ratios work. You're not helping anything. 

This topic is about how the K/D Ratio ISN'T IMPORTANT and that those who think it actually reflects the skill of a player are incorrect in their assumptions. 

watchclock
  • watchclock

Hustler

• Members

I could have a much higher k/d ratio if I wanted to.

And you would accomplish that by....?

Killing back my attackers more frequently, or simply participating in more PvP fights. My k/d ratio becomes a little higher every time I do death matches or free mode fights. It then drops a little when I let myself get killed in free mode without killing back. I can't believe I actually have to answer this question because the answer is so obvious.

exactly. killing back your attackers and not dying would constitute skill.

It doesn't have to be your attacker. If you want your k/d ratio up you simply have to kill more than you die, it doesn't matter who. If you notice someone is killing you more than you're killing them, you could move on and find easier targets. And it's not true that killing your attacker back necessarily constitutes skill either, because like we discussed earlier there are very cheap ways of killing people in this game with a small chance of getting killed back regardless of skill.
So, if you want a 3.5 K/D and you have 500 deaths and 1000 kills that means you will need 750 more kills with no more deaths, but if you want the same K/D and have 1500 deaths to 2000 kills that means you need another 3250 kills with no deaths. And those numbers just keep getting bigger the more you keep ALLOWING yourself to get killed.

To put it another way, K/D more represents the skill of staying alive than it does the skill of killing.

We're not talking about the what it takes to increase the stat. We're stating that the stat doesn't accurately represent a player's skill. 

Hell, in RDR, I got the game a year after it came out. When I started, I was getting absolutely crushed in matches. After figuring out how to play, when I go to a gang match, I can rack up 5:1 k/d ratios over and over again. I've been doing that for years...yet my k/d stat still shows at only 2.1. This is because I died so much early on and didn't really care that it's become nearly impossible to increase. Even with a paltry 2.1 k/d, I can go into any gang match type on RDR, any mode (free aim, assisted aim) and completely tear the room apart (you know, minus all the hackers/cheats/manipulated-laggers). And THAT game did have a solid PvP DeathMatch k/d ratio counter. 

Now, imagine someone in GTAO who just f*cks around in freeroam for days on end, not giving a sh*t if he dies because, really, who cares? Same person can easily go into a deathmatch with a 0.7 k/d and get a 6.0 k/d...when he leaves, his k/d will still be 0.7. 

I mean, f*ck. I was playing Seal Team Six, my entire team left once the other team grabbed the tanks. I went on to lose 20:30 with a .67 k/d....but considering the circumstances of the other team dicking around in tanks the entire time (who does that when it's 5:1...really? Pathetic), 20 kills is pretty dang good. 

K/D ratio in this game means sh*t. 

I use Lester to remove blip a fair amount to get assassination kills. This is when I'm more comfortable with face to face one on one situations. I like chasing and testing people out.

Going off the radar and then killing people is NOT a "face to face" situation. 

I meant not having a bounty on me as the situation. So I do no-blip assassinations as well as face to face fights when I don't have a bounty.

I poorly worded it.

CenMan
  • CenMan

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

We already established that it does matter. The only case when it doesnt is when you use cheap ways to raise it.

Right, and since there's so many people doing that, it doesn't mean sh*t.

There is one way to do it is with a tank as you stated . but we already know we subtracted the tank spam killing from this conversation a few pages ago. Not sure why its being brought up now in the argument that it takes skill to have a higher kd and maintaining it without a tank.

We substracted it from the conversation for the sake of argument, and I showed you several ways to do it without tanks. Not that any of that matters, because tanks are in GTAO and tank kills are included in the k/d ratio.

PaulDPearl
  • PaulDPearl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

We already established that it does matter. The only case when it doesnt is when you use cheap ways to raise it.

"We" did? No.. you and watchcock did in your tiny little minds... the mere fact that it can be EASILY manipulated positively or negatively demonstrate that it is not a statistic that carries any meaning to anyone beside the owner of the stat... (You know your KDR better than I know your KDR).

and no, I won't explain why engaging someone rather than not engaging someone will improve your KDR because you won't be able to understand it...

zenifystone
  • zenifystone

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:52 PM Edited by zenifystone, 29 January 2014 - 10:52 PM.

We substracted it from the conversation for the sake of argument, and I showed you several ways to do it without tanks. Not that any of that matters, because tanks are in GTAO and tank kills are included in the k/d ratio.

right but those other ways will not raise your kd as high as skill does. Like it was said killing 1 person in a shop then running away or always finding lower skilled (see what i did there? :)) players in sessions will slowly and insignificantly raise your kd whereas joining a battle of about 6 and killing them 10 to 1 will. But to do that you need skill and higher kd players have that.

"We" did? No.. you and watchcock did in your tiny little minds... the mere fact that it can be EASILY manipulated positively or negatively demonstrate that it is not a statistic that carries any meaning to anyone beside the owner of the stat... (You know your KDR better than I know your KDR).

and no, I won't explain why engaging someone rather than not engaging someone will improve your KDR because you won't be able to understand it...

lol you just mad you cant raise your kd if you want to without a tank

gear999
  • gear999

Big Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

I have him on ignore because he talks crap but I'm curious, has the OP got his PSN linked to the Social Club because I'd love to see his stats.

Who's the OP?
Me.
And why do you have me on ignore :cry:
  • Furry_Monkey likes this

iainspad
  • iainspad

Souled Out to The New World Order

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Methinks the K/D ratio is used to only to display how much of a successful serial murderer you are virtually, but also what odds you have in things like a deathmatch.

The K/D ratio as a status in showing your prowess is a bit moot but I use it as a motivator to not try to get myself killed.

CenMan
  • CenMan

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

right but those other ways will not raise your kd as high as skill does. Like it was said killing 1 person in a shop then running away or always finding lower skilled (see what i did there?) players in sessions will slowly and insignificantly raise your kd whereas joining a battle of about 6 and killing them 10 to 1 will. But to do that you need skill and higher kd players have that.

No they're not as fast as being really good and murking literally everybody. Of course. But we might as well forget about those "other ways" because, well, tanks.

• BewareoftheBears likes this

PaulDPearl
  • PaulDPearl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

right but those other ways will not raise your kd as high as skill does. Like it was said killing 1 person in a shop then running away or always finding lower skilled (see what i did there? :)) players in sessions will slowly and insignificantly raise your kd whereas joining a battle of about 6 and killing them 10 to 1 will. But to do that you need skill and higher kd players have that.

lol you just mad you cant raise your kd if you want to without a tank

yep that's exactly it...

godzilla-facepalm.jpg

SaturdayNight
  • SaturdayNight

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

Just shows the difference between your kills vs your deaths.. Thats it. But I think it was added to give a more competitive edge considering there are Deathmatches in the game. Stats stats stats. Lol they have a stat for everything including how many times I spin in my car, so minute yet very detailed. What would have been very cool is if they tracked farthest kill distance. 

zenifystone
  • zenifystone

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

I can agree with you on this. That if gta online dm had stats , the skill would reflect a higher kd.

• CenMan likes this

CenMan
  • CenMan

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

I can agree with you on this. That if gta online dm had stats , the skill would reflect a higher kd.

And then it would be meaningful to me, now not so much.

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:10 PM Edited by Furry_Monkey, 29 January 2014 - 11:10 PM.

I have him on ignore because he talks crap but I'm curious, has the OP got his PSN linked to the Social Club because I'd love to see his stats.

Who's the OP?
Me.

Wow!  Such avertar.  Much ignore.  So doge!

Just shows the difference between your kills vs your deaths.. Thats it. But I think it was added to give a more competitive edge considering there are Deathmatches in the game. Stats stats stats. Lol they have a stat for everything including how many times I spin in my car, so minute yet very detailed. What would have been very cool is if they tracked farthest kill distance. 

Farthest kill distance would be a nice one.  I've done a couple of sniper kills where the car was really, really tiny.  I'd love to know how far away they were.  I'd also like to know how many bounties I've survived.  Trying to survive bounties is one of the things I find most fun in this game as it can really test your survival skills (obviously, it can also test your submarine or glitching skills, but that's not what I do so not relevant to me).  It tells you how many you've placed and how many you've had on you, but not how many you've survived.  Shame.  That would be a nice stat.

ShibbyTheCheetah
  • ShibbyTheCheetah

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

K/D is meant for games that focus solely on PvP, and require skill.

This game is neither of those.

So no, it doesn't matter.

KD is not meant for any game solely. are you drunk?  Its a stat that says How many people you killed vs how many times they killed you. How is this game not player vs player or not require any skill? You do know there is a winner in deathmatch right?

also , im interested to find out about those other required skills you talking about. Im lacking a picture of willy wonka right now

As I said, this game requires little to no skill, and it wasn't built around/on the player vs player aspect.

Therefore, K/D is of little to no meaning in a game like this.

GTA was made for fun, not competitive play. Why should competitive stats be taken any kind of serious?

• Black Rabbit likes this

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

Who's the OP?
Me.

My apologies - I've not ignored the OP (you) - that was a mistake on my part to say that.  I've ignored watchclock.  I think that will make more sense to people :p

• gear999 likes this

zenifystone
  • zenifystone

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

And then it would be meaningful to me, now not so much.

I can see that. I used to play Counterstrike that did not have a kd stat yet i loved the game and always tried to do my best to be on the top of the player list.

gear999
  • gear999

Big Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

Who's the OP?
Me.

My apologies - I've not ignored the OP (you) - that was a mistake on my part to say that.  I've ignored watchclock.  I think that will make more sense to people :p
Alrighty then.
  • Furry_Monkey likes this

zenifystone
  • zenifystone

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

KD is not meant for any game solely. are you drunk?  Its a stat that says How many people you killed vs how many times they killed you. How is this game not player vs player or not require any skill? You do know there is a winner in deathmatch right?

also , im interested to find out about those other required skills you talking about. Im lacking a picture of willy wonka right now

As I said, this game requires little to no skill, and it wasn't built around/on the player vs player aspect.

GTA was made for fun, not competitive play. Why should competitive stats be taken any kind of serious?

driving a tank spawn killing requires no skill.

This game is not ^

Free roam is player vs player. friendly fire and everyone is fair game. How competitive you play has effect on the kill to death ratio this game offers.

"Why should competitive stats be taken any kind of serious?"

Come on man.....

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:35 PM

Free roam is player vs player. friendly fire and everyone is fair game.

Free roam *can* be player vs player.  It can also be "honk your horn and pick up a stranger".  The problem with the arguments on this thread is that people keep saying things like "this IS this" and "that IS that", but nothing IS anything in this game.  I've had sessions where I've stood on top of a building and got 20-30 kills with a sniper, but not one single person has come looking for me, and there have been next to no other "a killed b" messages popping up.  Some sessions are simply filled with people who are occupied by the myriad of other activities available in the game.

There was very little skill involved in the kills I got in those sessions.  Yes, I can probably handle a sniper better than a newb sniper, but that is more familiarity than skill, unless you consider standing on a building and pressing a button a skill.

There is no definitive answer to this question.  It *can* indicate skill, but it can also indicate a cautious camper.  The problem we have here is that some people say "I HAVE A MASSIVE KD RATIO SO IT MUST BE IMPORTANT BECAUSE OF MY EPEEN!!!", and simply will not accept anything else.  They should be more concerned with the "ego/sacred self" ratio, as that actually reflects something important and real - the rest of their life outside this tiny world we call a game.

• CenMan and sexboxlive like this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

Not just in this game but in every game that had a K/D stat is pointless to me. I dont care what my K/D is I just want to have fun and win the game mode if possible. Nothing annoys me more than someone bragging about their K/D when it the grand scheme of things it is f*cking pointless.

zenifystone
  • zenifystone

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

There is no definitive answer to this question.  It *can* indicate skill, but it can also indicate a cautious camper. .

ok, im glad you agree that it can indicate skill.

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:46 PM

There is no definitive answer to this question.  It *can* indicate skill, but it can also indicate a cautious camper. .

Of course it can.  To say otherwise would be ludicrous, just like it would be ludicrous to deny that it can mean absolutely nothing.

Too many statements in this thread are either black or white when there are literally an infinite number of shades of grey in between.

zenifystone
  • zenifystone

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

Of course it can.  To say otherwise would be ludicrous, just like it would be ludicrous to deny that it can mean absolutely nothing.

great, so when would it mean absolutely nothing?

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:53 PM Edited by Furry_Monkey, 29 January 2014 - 11:53 PM.

great, so when would it mean absolutely nothing?

It was explained in the rest of the post I made - the one where you cherry picked the bit that suits your opinion

Like I said - black and white to some people.  To everyone else it's full of grey.

zenifystone
  • zenifystone

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

Like I said - black and white to some people.  To everyone else it's full of grey.

Got it thanks. I guess ill be on the black side since i got my high kd through skill.

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:57 PM Edited by Furry_Monkey, 29 January 2014 - 11:58 PM.

Got it thanks.

Cool.  That's great.

zenifystone
  • zenifystone

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

Got it thanks.

Cool.  That's great that you fall under the category of having high kd because of your skill and not using cheap ways to get it.

Thanks for understanding.

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

Got it thanks.

Cool.  That's great that you fall under the category of having high kd because of your skill and not using cheap ways to get it.

Thanks for understanding.

Don't think twice. It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself.

PaulDPearl
  • PaulDPearl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

^^ this...  this is why running around shooting randoms in freemode is lame and unfun... If this is the only way you have to have fun on GTAO... you have no imagination... that is all.  Deathmatches are among the least entertaining thing in this game for a few reasons.. Free Aim deathmatches are much better but they're still no SOCOM. I take no pride in winning a GTA deathmatch and I take no shame in losing one.. it just is what it is...

I don't get mad... when I come across griefers in the game and I have nothing going on, I may go after them once or twice - but more likely than not, I'll just move along to another room.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users