Modern Day settings kill GTA

111 replies to this topic
TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

I'd love to throw in some witty comments, but i don't know enough about the Romans to really go along with it :p

Bowling must be a national sport.

• jamieleng likes this

Gr33dyMoney
  • Gr33dyMoney

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

But once you've done a time period properly (VC/VCS & SA), you can't really go back or it would seem like a rehash. 

The only time periods I'd like to see them do for current gen are 60's London & possibly 70's NY. The chances of that happening are slim to none. Those time periods & locations might appear in Agent, if that's anything more than a placeholder image nowadays.

IMHO i dont think most ppl (atleast 50% of GA Community) played any of the "stories" version of gta, i know my friends and i didnt... its was basically a knock off the real GTA console games R* was just tryna make a lil more money with them.

StewNorth
  • StewNorth

Let's do it all over again, again.

• Members
  • China

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:39 PM Edited by StewNorth, 07 January 2014 - 01:51 PM.

How about a GTA that doesn't take place in fictional America to start with, hmm?

I know there was GTA London, so it's not like Rockstar always had a problem with taking the franchise elsewhere.

That's why I think many GTA clones get away with it...by actually satisfying our curiosities about other dens of crime (looking at you TrueCrime/Sleeping Dog/ etc). I believe that by limiting themselves to New York/ LA, and America as a whole Rockstar is hurting the franchise more than anything.

I want to be a yakuza, I want to be a real yardie, I want to be a sicilian don, I want to be a triad, I want to be part of a UK firm, I want to be a russian lubyanka...

So much potential out there.

Gaming has changed, we really are an international crowd now, we can handle being criminals outside of the good ol' US of A.

Just think about it for a moment, wouldn't be awesome to get to see America from the OTHER point of view ? To be a young russian mobster making his way up in Moscow  and coming across Americans NPCs, maybe even giving them a chance to be the ones mocking/parodying the other stereotypes rather than always be the object of amusement (believe me America, you aren't any crazier than the rest of us) ? Wouldn't be awesome to see old familiar faces outside like Niko for example in a totally different environment? If anything, it would give the franchise the chance to be as creatively free as they want rather than forcing us to be trapped in a never-ending plane marathon between Liberty City and San Andreas.

Sometimes I feel like Rockstar doesn't dare taking its brand of humor/ cynicism outside of America because they don't dare making fun of anyone but themselves, for fear of a PR backlash of some kind.

It's ok, Rockstar, you can make fun of my culture, we all can take a few jabs and laugh at ourselves.

America doesn't have the monopoly of self-loathing afterall :p

DrAtomic
  • DrAtomic

Volatile

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

No, it doesnt, modern day setting is awesome.

marco-polo
  • marco-polo

?

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:48 PM Edited by marco-polo, 07 January 2014 - 01:49 PM.

Bowling must be a national sport.

Very funny! :D

Just think about it for a moment, wouldn't be awesome to get to see America from the OTHER point of view ? To be a young russian mobster making his way up in Moscow

Reading your post made me think of a GTA in Moscow but you put it in too, i agree that it'd be nice to let the American part air out and maybe come back later on..

TheProphet78
  • TheProphet78

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

These modern day settings (GTA 4 & 5) are making the series get worse. i do like the concept but it makes the games feel less classic.. or it could be the horrible modern day music we have nowadays that just kill the whole theme of GTA

i agree. i dont mind the setting or time period, but the ultra realism they are attempting is annoying. speeding on a motorbike is extremely deadly i know this. but can you tone it down for the VIDEO GAME im playing?? i cant enjoy the game when bumping into a fire hydrant kills me. the 100 health 100 armor was a staple in GTA history (at least for me) but now i get to die in 4 shots. flying out of your windshield used to be fun as you hear the russian scream and ragdoll across pavement, only to get up and say something sarcastic. now we get the immediate WASTED ending any type of fun had or to be had. the way the character KOs peds is extremely fun but once you get that single star you must run to a corner and WAIT four minutes while cops magically go to exactly where your hiding if you dont move every ten seconds. and if they see you it turns to two stars which is basically 3

they really need to tone this crap down. its a chore dealing with this realism and takes away from the whole experience. its amazing however... i used to argue with my friends who abandoned GTA because of the switch towards realism in IV. i dont think i can abandon the game but i can still be disappointed by them

• GankThis110 likes this

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:06 PM Edited by SFBryan18, 07 January 2014 - 02:09 PM.

I believe that by limiting themselves to New York/ LA, and America as a whole Rockstar is hurting the franchise more than anything.

I disagree. Players stay interested in things they can relate to. The majority of the fanbase is American, and these locations are the most well known. While other locations would not necessarily be bad, they are in no way hurting themselves by staying in America. If anything, they would hurt themselves by leaving the location.

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

Vice-City-III-Boxshot.PNG

Smh.
  • TheProphet78 likes this

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

StewNorth, on 07 Jan 2014 - 2:39 PM, said:

How about a GTA that doesn't take place in fictional America to start with, hmm?

I know there was GTA London, so it's not like Rockstar always had a problem with taking the franchise elsewhere.

That's why I think many GTA clones get away with it...by actually satisfying our curiosities about other dens of crime (looking at you TrueCrime/Sleeping Dog/ etc). I believe that by limiting themselves to New York/ LA, and America as a whole Rockstar is hurting the franchise more than anything.

I want to be a yakuza, I want to be a real yardie, I want to be a sicilian don, I want to be a triad, I want to be part of a UK firm, I want to be a russian lubyanka...

Gaming has changed, we really are an international crowd now, we can handle being criminals outside of the good ol' US of A.

Just think about it for a moment, wouldn't be awesome to get to see America from the OTHER point of view ? To be a young russian mobster making his way up in Moscow  and coming across Americans NPCs, maybe even giving them a chance to be the ones mocking/parodying the other stereotypes rather than always be the object of amusement (believe me America, you aren't any crazier than the rest of us) ? Wouldn't be awesome to see old familiar faces outside like Niko for example in a totally different environment? If anything, it would give the franchise the chance to be as creatively free as they want rather than forcing us to be trapped in a never-ending plane marathon between Liberty City and San Andreas.

Sometimes I feel like Rockstar doesn't dare taking its brand of humor/ cynicism outside of America because they don't dare making fun of anyone but themselves, for fear of a PR backlash of some kind.

It's ok, Rockstar, you can make fun of my culture, we all can take a few jabs and laugh at ourselves.

It's what they do best

it's like saying the Simpsons should move to Russia, might be fun for an episode or something but that's it.

similarly GTA likes to make passing references to other cultures but Always from the american perspective.

GTA has to be in America, no other country has a culture as suitable to gta

gta_aus
  • gta_aus

Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

i wanna see a 1800's version of australia, killin abos nd sh*t

Shuy ya 'ole ya white dog or I'll spear ya c*nt

Gr33dyMoney
  • Gr33dyMoney

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

Vice-City-III-Boxshot.PNG

Smh.

a classic (meaning it was perfect for its time period)

StewNorth
  • StewNorth

Let's do it all over again, again.

• Members
  • China

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:03 PM Edited by StewNorth, 07 January 2014 - 03:08 PM.

snip

It's what they do best

it's like saying the Simpsons should move to Russia, might be fun for an episode or something but that's it.

similarly GTA likes to make passing references to other cultures but Always from the american perspective.

What they do best is crime, the absurd and story-telling.

And their story-telling is always going to remain americanized no matter the location anyway, it's their style. I'm not asking them to go local, but to expand their mind a bit.

As for crime and the absurd? There is plenty to go around no matter where you go.

I believe that by limiting themselves to New York/ LA, and America as a whole Rockstar is hurting the franchise more than anything.

I disagree. Players stay interested in things they can relate to. The majority of the fanbase is American, and these locations are the most well known. While other locations would not necessarily be bad, they are in no way hurting themselves by staying in America. If anything, they would hurt themselves by leaving the location.

I think youre underestimating Rockstar.

h1r0ll3r
  • h1r0ll3r

Calm and cool with just a hint of psychotic tendencies

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

While I like the current setting, having a new locale would be pretty cool. Old world Italy or maybe some international location would be awesome. Pretty bland seeing New York or LA or whatever. A new location would be pretty sweet. 

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hypothetical about the future is a waste of time. A company is going to make their decision, and sometimes those decisions are bad ones. I think they know what direction they want to go, and I can't wait to see what it is.

marco-polo
  • marco-polo

?

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

i wanna see a 1800's version of australia, killin abos nd sh*t

Shuy ya 'ole ya white dog or I'll spear ya c*nt

Wow i missed that pearla! :panic:

Varios Los Aztecas
  • Varios Los Aztecas

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:38 PM Edited by Varios Los Aztecas, 07 January 2014 - 03:40 PM.

StewNorth, on 07 Jan 2014 - 2:39 PM, said:

It's what they do best

This^^

'Murica works 'cos we've got everything, the guns, the drugs, the broads, and the dollars.

EDIT: My bet for GTA VI is that'll it'll be a next-gen behemoth, an entire state with multiple cities.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:07 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 07 January 2014 - 04:09 PM.

StewNorth, on 07 Jan 2014 - 4:03 PM, said:StewNorth, on 07 Jan 2014 - 4:03 PM, said:StewNorth, on 07 Jan 2014 - 4:03 PM, said:StewNorth, on 07 Jan 2014 - 4:03 PM, said:StewNorth, on 07 Jan 2014 - 4:03 PM, said:

Zwenkwiel, on 07 Jan 2014 - 3:35 PM, said:Zwenkwiel, on 07 Jan 2014 - 3:35 PM, said:Zwenkwiel, on 07 Jan 2014 - 3:35 PM, said:Zwenkwiel, on 07 Jan 2014 - 3:35 PM, said:Zwenkwiel, on 07 Jan 2014 - 3:35 PM, said:

StewNorth, on 07 Jan 2014 - 2:39 PM, said:StewNorth, on 07 Jan 2014 - 2:39 PM, said:StewNorth, on 07 Jan 2014 - 2:39 PM, said:StewNorth, on 07 Jan 2014 - 2:39 PM, said:StewNorth, on 07 Jan 2014 - 2:39 PM, said:snip

It's what they do best

What they do best is crime, the absurd and story-telling.

And their story-telling is always going to remain americanized no matter the location anyway, it's their style. I'm not asking them to go local, but to expand their mind a bit.

As for crime and the absurd? There is plenty to go around no matter where you go.

I disagree,  GTA isn't about the story, it's the entire atmosphere

it's about stuff like this

tumblr_muh70d6dRS1r5cmwmo3_500.jpg

or this

tumblr_muh70d6dRS1r5cmwmo9_500.jpg

and while the whole "civilized" world is becoming more and more americanized every day, why settle for a cheap knock off when you can have the real deal?

HonestOG556
  • HonestOG556

Crackpot

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

i wanna see a 1920's chicago

Play "Mafia - The City of Lost Heaven".

To be fair, the next one will probably have a huge map with a few different cities in it. I've said it before but supposedly it was the 360 holding this concept back due to the limited space on DVD's. I wouldn't be surprised if air travel was a necessity in 6.

Will either be Vice City, San Fierro or Las Venturas based.

Gr33dyMoney
  • Gr33dyMoney

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hypothetical about the future is a waste of time. A company is going to make their decision, and sometimes those decisions are bad ones. I think they know what direction they want to go, and I can't wait to see what it is.

see i dont mind the realism but every gta needs a theme that gives u a certain vibe wen u play it. 

the settings have a lot to do with it but even more then that the story. with GTA5 it was rushed (Especially the ending, kill 6 co-stars in 1 mission?? wtf? it could have easily been made into 15 different missions.)

‹bermacht
  • ‹bermacht

It means Superior

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

To be fair, the next one will probably have a huge map with a few different cities in it. I've said it before but supposedly it was the 360 holding this concept back due to the limited space on DVD's. I wouldn't be surprised if air travel was a necessity in 6.

Good point. I think GTA VI will be Liberty City honestly. If you watch the movie Michael was involved in you will see quite a bit of modeling done for New York/Liberty City including a "Central Park".

To be honest, it looked like a lot of the liberty city stuff was filmed in either cutscenes, or the GTA IV engine.

Ataricade
  • Ataricade

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Here we go again, you people just want another Vice City

Yup I do at least. Great music on every channel. Awesome theme. My fave decade.

Pitch~Black
  • Pitch~Black

Peon

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

I see why people get nostalgic for what R* did in Vice City and SA. They truly nailed the games' respective time periods masterfully. But that went hand in hand with the story being told in those games. As it does with both 4 and 5. It was just less noticable because we're actually in the time period.

Actually, I'm a little surprised they didn't parody more this sad state of pointless paranoia the government and media have pushed down Americans throats for over a decade now. Perhaps they figured it was too touchy of a subject for many Americans. But if anything deserves parody in the modern era more I can't think of it.

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

Because we all know how weak GTA 3 was, right?

Neo Arcadia
  • Neo Arcadia

Peon

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

Realistically, the modern day setting actually should kill GTA due to all of the surveillance going on.  :miranda:

None of the protagonists should get very far with how casually they treat their electronics.

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:16 PM Edited by Zodape, 07 January 2014 - 07:16 PM.

I'm sorry, but I think back in 2000-ish, everything was crappier than now. Movies and music over all. I just see this generic 2000s movie or hear some generic 2000s track, I swear I just want to kill somebody.

Edit: Not exactly everything, of course. GTA III was cool.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Zodape, on 07 Jan 2014 - 8:16 PM, said:

I'm sorry, but I think back in 2000-ish, everything was crappier than now. Movies and music over all. I just see this generic 2000s movie or hear some generic 2000s track, I swear I just want to kill somebody.

Edit: Not exactly everything, of course. GTA III was cool.

unlike now

we have great music and Original movies /sarcasm

dewtech_2008
  • dewtech_2008

Boldly going forwards, 'cause we can't find reverse

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Vice City was still the greatest imo. Love everything 80s and that just fit perfectly.

Redoing VC for Xbox one and on the new engine and graphics would pretty much complete my life

• GankThis110 likes this

ChrilLe
  • ChrilLe

The only ChrilLe you know and need!

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Do Liberty City for GTA VI. (Online)

• Remove the moody atmosphere.
  • More activities to do.
  • More buildings to enter.
  • Add a huge wilderness west from LC, with small towns, woods, hillbillys, fat truckers, bigfoot and trailers! I WANT TO LIVE IN A GOD DAMN TRAILER IN ONLINE!
  • More variants of apartments.
  • Safehouses.
  • Make the city more alive.
  • Make it mid-summer.

brose_sfr
  • brose_sfr

brozilla

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

I doubt they could write an original story for a game set in the "past" VC & SA were great because we were all fans of movies like Scarface & Boyz n' tha Hood (which those games reflected). RDR was awesome because we had nothing to compare it too. +HORSES!!

also let's not forget L.A. Noire. best sleep aid ever!

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

GTA III reminded me of the Sopranos

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users