Photo

General forum suggestion on "Stories"

13 replies to this topic
The Angel King
  • The Angel King

Retired

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:48 AM Edited by The Angel King, 07 January 2014 - 05:18 AM.

There is a problem with the Sub for GTA Online. In order to post stories or things they did in the game they have to post in a single thread. That means a single thread will have multiple stories, posts, quotes, and replies. That means you my have to go through pages of stuff you don't care about or want to read, etc.

It is unorganized, unprofessional, messy, and almost useless. People should be allowed to post stories in general posts or perhaps have a sub of it's own, but having a sub of it's own seems not needed. Perhaps that is why the thread is like this in the first place. 

The logical thing to do would be let people post general things and stories in the "Online general sub" or it's own sub under Online. Just my suggestion. It works on almost every single forum I have ever seen or been on.

Thanks,

-Metal

• StormerBoy and CorruptedVision like this

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

I agree 100%. This should be applied to all such threads.

• The Angel King likes this

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:55 PM Edited by Raavi, 06 January 2014 - 12:56 PM.

A single thread with all stories avoids the section from turning into a messy clutter-fest. As it is now, instead of cluttering pages and pages of the main GTAO section with stories (pointless to decent) there is one thread for them all, if that isn't organised I don't know what is. So there really is no need for a separate subsection as we already have the aforementioned pinned thread dedicated solely to sharing your stories. In case you're looking for a specific story within the thread you don't even have to browse through the pages, just use the search feature in the top right hand side of the page.

If you're looking for some good (Non-GTAO related) reading material check out this section: http://gtaforums.com...ers-discussion/

The Angel King
  • The Angel King

Retired

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:25 PM Edited by The Angel King, 06 January 2014 - 01:27 PM.

A single thread with all stories avoids the section from turning into a messy clutter-fest. As it is now, instead of cluttering pages and pages of the main GTAO section with stories (pointless to decent) there is one thread for them all, if that isn't organised I don't know what is. So there really is no need for a separate subsection as we already have the aforementioned pinned thread dedicated solely to sharing your stories. In case you're looking for a specific story within the thread you don't even have to browse through the pages, just use the search feature in the top right hand side of the page.

If you're looking for some good (Non-GTAO related) reading material check out this section: http://gtaforums.com...ers-discussion/

Some peoples stories are ones we would like to go back and comment or read other comments and others we may not. You are forced to scroll through them. That is not organized. That is the opposite.

Why is it there are so many Tank and Car threads and things of the like? Is that not messy? How is this messy in the first place? Because there are more topics? Isn't that the point? It's a general thing people talk about. Why should stories be isolated into one single thread?

Also, how is having a subsection for stories messy?

How can having a Subsection be more messy than having a single thread with multiple posts?

"If you're looking for some good (Non-GTAO related) reading material check out this section: http://gtaforums.com...ers-discussion/"

This has nothing to do with the topic....Thank you for the tip though. 

Anyone else care to weigh in on this? 

CorruptedVision
  • CorruptedVision

Slim Reaper

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:23 AM

Its cool to post 1500 threads about tanks being OP and people being gifted money. God forbid you post something original or about how you found a way to enjoy the game beyond its problems, perhaps giving other players more insight on things to do. Then being able to have a discussion about the story in the same topic without having to rifle through everyone elses stories and replies people made to those. It is messy and well, it makes you not want to even bother sharing when you know its going to be buried in the depths of the story topic. Who has time to sit down and read through 25+ pages of stories to finally reach the new ones posted?

• StormerBoy likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:14 AM Edited by GunWrath, 08 January 2014 - 01:15 AM.

Well the purpose of a forum is to not have multiple topics of the same subject. In this case, multiple 'story' topics. If you find it hard to scroll through a topic about stories, why even share or read a story then? They're there for everyone to share, read and enjoy. Much like any other website with a number of articles, you browse through until you find one you enjoy reading. It's not a hard concept.

As far as the tank topics, glitch topics, etc.. they're dealt with as much as possible.. but when you literally have dozens sometimes even hundreds of people browsing and posting in one section, it's hard for one or two staff members to moderate efficiently. Especially when the number of glitching, money and totally same topics being made far outweigh those of 'story' topics. In the mean time, you have to put up with the Stories topic for now. We have a Writer's Discussion for actual stories and writing.. but that's not what you're looking for.. so 'stories' of your online gameplay are better kept in one topic rather than an entire section.

Everyone has a story to share from their online experiences but sometimes when they post them, it's not quite discussion worthy as majority of the time it's just a 50 Character story about how they tank sniped someone or did a triple barrel roll and landed in an oil field and Trevor mooned them.. I'm being sarcastic of course, but you get my meaning. 

• Pyrrhus and Shou like this

The Angel King
  • The Angel King

Retired

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:22 PM Edited by The Angel King, 08 January 2014 - 04:25 PM.

@Gunwrath

Absolutely get why it is like that, however this does not make what I was saying invalid. If you think it is too many, then perhaps it does need a sub forum. It is a topic that is posted quite often. To limit it to one thread is sloppy and foolish. The way it is now I a poorly put together mess, regardless of the reason.

In fact having a Sub forum for this would be easier to manage for a forum moderator. If there are a lot of posts, that is the point.

Because some stories may not be to your liking does not make having a section for this invalid. Also, you are just proving my point with teh "50 character story" comment. With things like that in a single thread, it poisons it. Ty for backing up what I am saying.

Edit: If someone doesn't want to read this stuff, you don't have to go to the section for it. Just like any section. Sorry if you dislike what I am saying, but it is what it is. I have built sites, forums, been an admin, and etc. You can't tell me the sky is actually red, no matter how much you want it to or dislike it being blue.

uNi
  • uNi

instantrum

• None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Does it justifies its own board?

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:21 PM Edited by GunWrath, 08 January 2014 - 07:21 PM.

Instead of a continued debate over it. Why not PM the led-by's of that area and see if they can make some sort of format for people to post their stories in that topic?

Perhaps a

Story Length: (Short or long)

Subject: (Amazing car explosion and 12 deaths)

(type story here)

Or something to that effect. That way those of you who hate 'scrolling' through a topic can find a story that you may like by simply reading the subject of a story, rather than browsing through an entire story to find out it's the same one as the one before it. Because I'm telling you now, a subforum for Stories on Gameplay isn't going to happen.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:25 PM Edited by Raavi, 08 January 2014 - 07:26 PM.

To add to that - ask a led-by of the section to make an index in the OP with short descriptions of, and links to all stories posted in the thread.

• WBaker likes this

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:37 PM Edited by WBaker, 08 January 2014 - 07:37 PM.

That's not a bad idea Raavi, I like it. How about a index for everyone who includes a synopsis from now on? I suppose we could do it retroactively as well.

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

And that's definitely not a lot of work :lol:

The Angel King
  • The Angel King

Retired

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Not allowed to post threads about it, but we can make random ones like this:

http://gtaforums.com...o-in-gta-onine/

I feel like a child could do a better job. Enough said. Sorry for trying to help make the forums more professional, more organized, and more of a pleasure to post on. Won't make that mistake again. Good day.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Not allowed to post threads about it, but we can make random ones like this:

http://gtaforums.com...o-in-gta-onine/

I feel like a child could do a better job. Enough said. Sorry for trying to help make the forums more professional, more organized, and more of a pleasure to post on. Won't make that mistake again. Good day.

Not allowed to post threads about what?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users