Photo

Who has calibrated their HDTV?

15 replies to this topic
high91
  • high91

Eminem- Infinite-1996-313

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:30 AM Edited by high91, 06 January 2014 - 01:31 AM.

..Simple one really that people overlook.  Calibration should be done well and properly to enjoy your games to their full :)

So..has anyone else took the time to do this and did it work nicely?

Also maybe post what set-up you have got just for the hell of it.

Im 360>1.4a HDMI>42''Plasma>1368x768 RES.  It all works really well and looks brilliant IMO

EDIT: Share ideas for calibration too.

• Midnightz likes this

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:35 AM Edited by lil weasel, 06 January 2014 - 02:20 AM.

Just plugged everything together with HDMI cables and works ok for me.
I never heard of calibration before this topic...
Nothing in the manual about it.

Ok, so I looked it up and found:
http://lifehacker.co...minutes-or-less
  • high91 likes this

Pyrrhic
  • Pyrrhic

you will never be one of us

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

I don't have the privilege of a HDTV.
I have the privilege of a 2003 SHARP box TV.
  • gnad.1992 likes this

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:44 AM

I just plugged in all the thingies that it said to plug in and my result was a nice picture. I don't know about this calibration whatyoumickjagger stuff though.

• saintsrow and Ciaran like this

caddymanlnl
  • caddymanlnl

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:58 AM

I have a 50" LG plasma hooked up to the 360 via hdmi. Ps3, and Wii too ... for the kids.

Never calibrated the tv, meh, looks good to me.

20140105_205206_zps67bs7r4j.jpg
  • high91 likes this

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Your self proclaimed GTA forums DJ!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:17 AM

f*ck I spent 3 f*cking hours today on trying to hook up my cable, damn comcast sucks
  • trip likes this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:00 AM Edited by trip, 06 January 2014 - 03:01 AM.

Don't even get me started on Comcast.

I never gave calibrating my TV any thought until I got an Xbox one and used its 'calibrate your tv' feature. It made a notable enough difference...made me just a bit happier.

high91
  • high91

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:22 AM

Look up: BLACK LEVELS (brightness)

WHITE LEVELS (contrast)  These are basic settings that will help your picture dramatically.

REFERENCE LEVELS (for console)

COLOUR SPACE....Please use RGB and nothing else on the 360.

Another bumpy area is your TV's 'SHARPNESS'...(If you use a pc resolution then usually this option has no effect)

BUT...If you choose to use 720p or 1080p then either use NO SHARPNESS (hard to get used to) or just a little.  You don't need it super duper sharp...THE REASON BEING> Sharpness introduces artifacts that would not otherwise be there without it, also with sharpness; it is a TV enhancement so it will alter the ORIGINAL Video signal produced by your console.  You wont notice this unless you are practiced in what to look for and what the optimum setting should look like (for some tv's its just above 0) 

Download calibration software on to usb to use on your console (it must be original HD for it to calibrate properly) this will really help.

My advice:

Don't use 720p or 1080p (I have in the past) USE A PC RESOLUTION through your HDMI CABLE if your TV supports it.  Usually 1024x1280 on widescreen or in my case 1366x768 using EXPANDED reference levels and RGB Color Space.

>>XBOX>>settings>>display>>REFERENCE LEVELS

COLOR SPACE

RESOLUTION

Not sure about PS3 sorry.

• dtsmucker likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:23 AM

The saddest thing in the world is when people leave "tru motion" on. :(

• friendly luggage, high91, dtsmucker and 1 other like this

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

Look up: BLACK LEVELS (brightness)

WHITE LEVELS (contrast)  These are basic settings that will help your picture dramatically.

REFERENCE LEVELS (for console)

COLOUR SPACE....Please use RGB and nothing else on the 360.

You're spot on with the sharpness. If you've got a HD source coming in, then adding sharpness makes the picture look worse. Bloody overscan is usually on by default on a lot of TVs too. Why would people want the borders missing?

• high91 and dtsmucker like this

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

For most part if you like the way your TV looks when you first set it up, then leave it. It's your TV and your point of view, so forget about calibrating it if you don't want to be bothered.

For the others that want to calibrate, link that lil weasel gives is very good. However if you don't want to be bothered downloading the AVS HD 709 or maybe it's too complex for you, then there are a number of DVDs that have the THX Optimizer as an extra feature that you can use to calibrate your TV. For a list of DVD titles that have the THX Optimizer click.

I will say this; both the AVS and the THX has a part where it wants to adjust the Tint. The problem is that you need special blue glasses/filter to look through to be able to set it correctly. However for the most part you shouldn't have to worry about this at all and can skip over it.

dtsmucker
  • dtsmucker

CTID

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

I cannot understand why you wouldn't want your TV calibrated. It's not a "fad", it's absolutely necessary.

• high91 likes this

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

I cannot understand why you wouldn't want your TV calibrated. It's not a "fad", it's absolutely necessary.

Simply because most people just don't know or care. Like I said, if it looks fine to you then don't mess with it.

high91
  • high91

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

Simply because most people just don't know or care. Like I said, if it looks fine to you then don't mess with it.

Its preference really.  I encourage everyone 100% to TWEAK your HDTV so you get THE BEST EXPERIENCE.  You may have found that sometimes the picture looks better with high brightness (black levels) and too much colour (color) AND the good old image ruining sharpness?  If so and that suits your TASTE IN CALIBRATION then enjoy it :) BUT...Everyone else YOU SHOULD GET CALIBRATING :^: :O :happy:

thehambone
  • thehambone

What? She's ma' cousin!?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:47 AM

I calibrated mine right before I got GTA V. I downloaded a calibration "video" and ran it on my PS3 to adjust all of the settings. Looks absolutely stunning! 

-32" LCD

-PS3

-HDMI full range

-1080p (unless game does not support it [damn you GTA V]).

• high91 likes this

Seedy
  • Seedy

pissin in yer kitchen sink.

• Members

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:47 PM Edited by Seedy, 11 March 2014 - 02:49 PM.

i have my xbox rigged up through my PC monitor via HDMI to DVI converter. I also use a xim edge so I can sit at my PC and use my keyboard and mouse. Here is a picture of me playing GTA on my PC screen while typing this message lol.

BTW As I use a xim edge, its like playing on the PC so if you cant wait for the PC release get a XIM edge! Its great!

hta5.JPG

Also you cant see it on that photo buyt I have a KVM switch rigged up too. there is a little button on my desk there that allows me to switch between the PC and xbox.. its cool.

EDIT!! LOL

forgot the topic subject!

I get jaggies on my PC screen and as I cant adjust sharpness etc, I have to live with it but it dosnt bother me!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users