Photo

Removing the Drive-to-the-marker?

14 replies to this topic
godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

It was understandable in GTA IIi.  It was a new game.

But driving half-way across the map to get to a mission just isn't fun anymore.  Especially with the slow driving of GTA4 and the massive overworlds of San Andreas and GTA5.  At the end of IV and V, I never opted to participate in the street races.  Why?  Because I spent literally half of the game driving (and half of that half was just driving to missions).

Yes, there are taxis that get you to where you need to go but it makes the problem even more apparent, as not something that needs to be reduced but something that should be cut out entirely if the player wants to.

On the cell phone, there should be a mission menu where it lists the available missions, describes them in a sentence or two and allows you to instantly start it from there.  GTA V had a menu like that but you couldn't start the missions from it, so what's the point.

Or perhaps this is a sign of a greater problem.  The overworld mostly just functions as a mission selection device rather than an overworld.  Or perhaps the structured feel of driving into markers and looking at the GPS as you drive just feels very structured for a series based on mayhem.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

One of the points of game called Grand Theft AUTO is driving cars to get someplace just like in real life. If you aren't finding that attractive maybe you should change the genre of the games you're playing. 

GTA started as a game where car was very important and getting to location was part of the process and I hope it will stay that way to the end.

• pro_laps likes this

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

One of the points of game called Grand Theft AUTO is driving cars to get someplace just like in real life. If you aren't finding that attractive maybe you should change the genre of the games you're playing. 

GTA started as a game where car was very important and getting to location was part of the process and I hope it will stay that way to the end.

no, you misunderstand.  im not against driving.  i'm against the implementation of it.

i love adrenaline pumping car chases, i love cruising around for some unstructured fun.

i don't like being pushed into a linear direction as just a way to select missions

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:43 AM

no, you misunderstand.  im not against driving.  i'm against the implementation of it.

i love adrenaline pumping car chases, i love cruising around for some unstructured fun.

i don't like being pushed into a linear direction as just a way to select missions

So you think driving to a mission start is "linear"?

Why not take the taxi there, or even funner, walk?

• Luddite likes this

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:36 AM

the fact that they need taxi's is an issue.  if rockstar themselves acknowledged that it takes too long to get to a mission and the player just wants to flow from mission to mission, why not just have a mission menu that brings them to the mission immediately.  without having to call, wait for a taxi, drive after finding out there isn't one, or hope there's a taxi right in front of you.

pro_laps
  • pro_laps

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:29 AM

Driving to the mission is part of the fun.  Means you actually have to plan what you're doing.  You can drop into other places along the way, maybe get side-tracked, kill a bunch of pedestrians etc... that IS GTA.  If it was as simple as bringing up your phone and selecting missions, then why even bother with the map?  

• Luddite likes this

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

AKA: BLOOD,BiiD or BloodMOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Same bro.Great Speech btw

Same bro.Great Speech btw

Ray
  • Ray

Natural Selection has come home

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Why not just fly a plane or helicopter?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

the fact that they need taxi's is an issue.  if rockstar themselves acknowledged that it takes too long to get to a mission and the player just wants to flow from mission to mission, why not just have a mission menu that brings them to the mission immediately.  without having to call, wait for a taxi, drive after finding out there isn't one, or hope there's a taxi right in front of you.

>You're complaining about having to drive from point A to point B

>Rockstar puts taxis in for that specific reason.

>You still complain.

Good lordy, will you ever be pleased?

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:16 AM

I wouldn't oppose to it being optional;, but I wouldn't want it as a permanent override. I mean half of the fun comes from getting to the mission destination being side tracked by other things and such.

R* added taxis for a reason so people could get to any destination they want to relatively quick. Yes sometimes they can take a while waiting for them, but it's still faster (in most cases) than driving.

In all honesty I can't see R* adding something like this. It sounds more linear really.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:48 AM Edited by Tycek, 07 January 2014 - 03:33 PM.

I wouldn't like such an option even as optional. Game already provides you with taxis, in which you can skip whole way to the mission, but adding option to pick the mission straight from the phone would make it even more casual. And this is main problem of GTA V. Despite being rated as 18+ it's child's game where you can skip whole portions of missions or flip your car back on wheels in the middle of nowhere. Don't make it even more casual than it already is. 

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

After choosing the mission shouldn't there then be a "skip to" button to instantly transport you to the target?

Maybe if you fail to get there 3 times. ;)

(I hope somebody gets this.)

PooyanCyrus
  • PooyanCyrus

iFruit fanboys are idiots

• Members
  • Mars
  • Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

If you're lazy to do missions, ask them to put a "Skip mission" button. In next step they could make "Skip Story and Show The Ending" button so it could perfectly do what you wanted for you. :|
  • universetwisters and Luddite like this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Actually coming to think about it wouldn't this be horribly confusing? Say we choose a mission via the phone and it's one the other side of the map. After the cutscenes are done we'll be vaulted into a different part of the map which would be confusing on a first playthrough.

Part of learning the map is driving to the missions. I agree with Tycek. GTA V already made things too easy for casual players. This is hand holding to the extreme.

Remember in GTA III when all we had was a mini map and that's it? No taxis, no GPS, no trip skip etc.

Maybe I'm just getting too old or have been playing the series for too long.
  • Luddite likes this

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

I'd assume skipping cutscenes is a given.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users