Future of III-engineering

7 replies to this topic
The_GTA
  • The_GTA

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:50 AM

Hello people,

Thank you guys for all the reven work. Especially _DK's work is interesting, in comparison to personal research, even tho nomenclature interpretation ~differences.

Now that everyone is empowered through the symbol export of the android executable, what does that mean to the GTA community? Will you guys take the quick route by looking up the names in the R* symbol database? I am not sure it is worth renaming my C++ nomenclature, tho I will add comments that point to the ~official names.

Hopefully my private work will not turn less impressive overnight :p

Please share your opinion with me.

Wish you guys a happy new year (do not mind the delay!)

The_GTA/midnightStar/emblemRed/rplgn

DK22Pac
  • DK22Pac

Playing SA on my lovely PS2. Y'all bums.

• Feroci
  • Brazil

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:10 AM Edited by _DK, 05 January 2014 - 08:11 AM.

I'm already working on plugin SDK and I want to collect all these things (classes, functions) there.

And what 'nomenclature' (as you said) do you use? I know each coder uses his own database (For example, Link uses generated headers based on listener's idb and his researches, Deji uses something based on MTA sources), - there's no any 'standart' here.

fastman92
  • fastman92

фастман92 | ف

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

I'm already working on plugin SDK and I want to collect all these things (classes, functions) there.

And what 'nomenclature' (as you said) do you use? I know each coder uses his own database (For example, Link uses generated headers based on listener's idb and his researches, Deji uses something based on MTA sources), - there's no any 'standart' here.

It's wrong that one's work is useless to one another.
Thus we surely need a plugin for IDA Pro to work cooperatively and synchronize changes. Be it quicker and make it more sense.

I haven't tested any of these plugins so far.
collabREate - http://www.idabook.com/collabreate/

IDA Sync - http://www.openrce.o...loads/details/2

The_GTA
  • The_GTA

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Nice idea about this plugin SDK. I assume this project will hide all the tidbits of assembler hooking and the version differences of GTA:SA binaries. Like that, it sounds like a huge project that should be done in a team.

My nomenclature is heavily inspired by MTA's codebase, adapted to make things work there. Classes and functions should make sense in a context.

When I know a commonly-used name for the things I am reversing, I use that. Otherwise it has been a guess-job: use names that ultimatively make sense (in engine and researcher POV).

It's wrong that one's work is useless to one another.
Thus we surely need a plugin for IDA Pro to work cooperatively and synchronize changes. Be it quicker and make it more sense.

I haven't tested any of these plugins so far.

In my opinion, the most important linking factor for research is binary offsets. I assume that if I include binary offsets for versions in the inline documentation (1.0 US and 1.0 EU), research should always be useful to others. 

Those plugins you list could become very valuable tools in a team based reven environment. I like that idea.

When do you think research is "useless" to other developers? Which way of presenting research do you enjoy?

fastman92
  • fastman92

фастман92 | ف

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:47 PM Edited by fastman92, 05 January 2014 - 04:50 PM.

I said "useless", because everyone has to work independently on his IDB, that's not nice.
If you're about presenting research, i like the data which can be processed by automated script instead of complete mess that can be understood by a human only.
I believe a plugin for collaborative work needs to be set up.

The_GTA
  • The_GTA

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

I said "useless", because everyone has to work independently on his IDB, that's not nice.
If you're about presenting research, i like the data which can be processed by automated script instead of complete mess that can be understood by a human only.
I believe a plugin for collaborative work needs to be set up.

I will ask good friends to host a IDA research server in the following days. Need to make myself acquainted with those IDA sync plugins :p

When I find the best plugin for sharing research, I will post further details.

Would you be willing to join a research sharing group, fastman92? What about others?

fastman92
  • fastman92

фастман92 | ف

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

I would, though I'm currently very busy working on my project in C++ (6500 lines so far). Which is why I have no time to check Ida synchronization plugins.
If plugin would require just a HTTP server and PHP support then there's no problem, it's not hard to afford.

DK22 would join, but him also busy can't search and test sync plugins. He needs a guide how to set it up all.

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

hell, no, tunnel, no

• Feroci
  • European-Union
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Contribution Award [Modding]

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:29 PM Edited by NTAuthority, 05 January 2014 - 11:30 PM.

utterly broken, maybe the old java version works but i'm not installing java bull on any of my servers

also ida 6.1 version is dependent on qt, and i can't find my pirated ida sdk 6.1 copy to build the idag version anyway

extremely outdated

also how are names anything new - the majority of them matches III's names from two years ago, and field names are still not included (and MTA's been a great source for that for years now)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users