Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do you think modders will be able to add Liberty City to this game?

50 replies to this topic
JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:02 AM Edited by JustRob, 05 January 2014 - 02:03 AM.

When the PC version gets released, do you think modders will be able to add Liberty City to the game world, so you can travel between cities? Maybe even throw in North Yankton?

I remember in the 3D era, there were a lot of mods that tried to combine Liberty City and Vice City, or Liberty / Vice City and San Andreas, or even all three of them. It was amazing to see what could be done.

And since GTAIV and GTAV share the same engine, I figure it might be possible. Thinking about it gets me really anxious about the PC version. What about you people? Are there any mods you would love to see?

• DeafMetal and PkUnzipper like this

fuzzel
  • fuzzel

The wierdest of the lot.

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:06 AM

there is a mod i would love to make. all the maps of GTA put together, and maybe saints row the third map?it looks good. insert a few custom shops, add a few cars and custom upgrades, and we are ready to roll! vice city and san andreas in HD! play as Niko or Tommy Vercetty!

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:13 AM Edited by Xerukal, 05 January 2014 - 02:13 AM.

It would be cool, yeah. 

Especially if Rockstar adds Liberty City to Online and modders get to use those resources to port an actual enhanced Liberty City into the Singleplayer free-roam. That would be great. 

Alvarez
  • Alvarez

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:18 AM

If you create a Michael/Franklin/Trevor skin and put it in GTA IV, you could play it even now.
  • jamieleng likes this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

Is it possible? Probably. But from my understanding to how game engines work, unless Rockstar did something truly magical with their physics engine then I doubt it. You'd obviously have to put Liberty City far off away from Los Santos, which means outside the grid. I know in Cryengine that leaving that grid area for the terrain causes all geometry to lose collision physics and thus the player falls straight through to the empty void below them. But maybe they dont' have this problem with the RAGE engine and we can place Liberty City a set distance east of Los Santos somewhere out in the ocean. Who knows. I'd love it either way. Imagine, flying from LAX to JFK in GTA. Awesome.

• Andreas and BlackScout like this

t0xiC
  • t0xiC

Indeed

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:23 AM

Yes, it is possible.

Will someone do it? Don't know.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

Wow, you guys sound so out of touch with how map mods work.

SeaWallTx
  • SeaWallTx

President of Texas

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:34 AM

DO y'all know that SA was initailly intened to allow you to go to the airport and fly to vice or liberty(not just to the other 2 islands, u could fly there on your own) but the hardware(consoles) weren't up to the task, without harddrives(stock onboard) and all, but maybe this will be the one they use to do that. It has an airport but no interactions with it yet. Its very possible with the PS3 and XBOX360(even if you need a disc swap or something). I hope they for fill their original intent, even if it is 12years later.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:34 AM Edited by cp1dell, 05 January 2014 - 02:36 AM.

The thing about most of the recent games; SA, IV, V etc. is that the map has a size limit. Unlike Vice City, where you can just add islands and islands, and expand the map - there's a certain amount of space you can use. I forget what, but V's is about 19 Square Kilometers or something, whereas the actual map is 12 or something. So maybe you could fit the 3D maps together - but no Liberty City, Los Santos, and North Yankton. There literally is not enough room.

With that aside, it will definitely be possible to port at least IV's map. And assuming IV and V use the same map models and files, it will be a lot easier for modders to port IV's map to V than a game from the 3D Era's map. But I'm not interested in that. I've used IV: SA and those other mods that port the old maps to IV. And while the guys spending their time doing that are great, and can't thank them enough, it just isn't interesting.

But if someone ports IV's map, along with missions, characters, and activities - now that would be something worthwhile.

• sqre and BlackScout like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:35 AM Edited by Xerukal, 05 January 2014 - 02:35 AM.

Guilty as charged. 

Loves2Spooge90
  • Loves2Spooge90

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:47 AM

Then explain it to us genius.
  • DeafMetal likes this

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

Would be possible, but would most likely take several years until theres all the programs released for it.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, got skippy?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:51 AM

Seriously? You're going to ask a question like that? Obviously IV's LC (even III's LC) will get ported to V. It'll take awhile before the ball gets rolling, as the file differences between IV and V are going to be huge.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:55 AM

I'd rather LC get added and replace LS entirely. :p

Wug
  • Wug

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:10 AM

I'd rather LC get added and replace LS entirely. :p

Wouldn't it then be bland?

sakurablossom
  • sakurablossom

Professional Badass

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:15 AM

Liberty City is murky and dark and depressing.

The fun sun soaked city of Los Santos is where it's at.

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:22 AM

Again a 3D era in this question?
When we are talking about HD era just let go off the past.
On one hand you understand GTA IV & V both share similarities then why don't you have the knowledge about the big scale and development behind both worlds?
Even the total conversion projects of 3D into HD are no longer in progress or still no actual date known because of the amount of work and time involved.
Just because you have a PC game makes no sense that the Mods could pull off certain tasks that took the actual developers so much time to build it!!..
IMO, NO.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

Police Officer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:26 AM

Okay people, stop the fanboyism (No matter what side) and the 3D era talk.

Just image LC, with V graphics. and an ocean floor (In the case of LC the river connecting Algoquin with Broker/Dukes).

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:35 AM

Liberty City is boring.
  • LowiPL likes this

baskerwil
  • baskerwil

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:38 AM

I'd be fine with separate world spaces, with an activation marker at LSX, transferring you to LC Airport, for a cost, and then you could play from there. Of course it opens up all sorts of issues; what cars to use, what cab company to use in LC etc. But it would be great fun, and one of the first thing I thought of when pondering future mods. Assuming this game will come to PC.

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:48 AM

Then explain it to us genius.

The problem isn't so much that nobody understands how map mods work, it's that nobody appreciates how difficult they are to pull off. TCs like this are massive letdowns 98% of the time because the project always runs out of steam. There are literally so many files to port, so much code to rewrite, so many placements to adjust - and that's before we even get into the hardware limitations. Game engines may be able to handle more objects than are by default in the game, but I highly doubt even V's engine can handle what is basically two entire games worth of objects, each with shadows, collisions, etc. The limitations of the games and impracticality of a total port mean that these super ambitious projects always fall short. Even if you basically had a load screen that was equivalent to reloading the entire game you'd have difficulty pulling it off. Everyone who thinks we'll one day be able to fly two three fully-sized Los Santoses doesn't realize that the more complicated and larger maps and games get, the more developers need to optimize their time and space. It'll never work in the business world, where they would get paid for the sh*t, and it'll certainly not work if it's a bunch of volunteers doing it for free because a pack of people with big mouths and little experience with modding from scratch think it would be cool. Don't even get me started on the guys already talking about backwards porting NY from V into IV, and how it'll be the "biggest mod ever" with voice actors and almost every car remodeled for the snow, and heists, and all kinds of sh*t that we all know is a pipe dream, all from a guy who was already exposed as a fraud and doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground...

• Xcommunicated and BlackScout like this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:03 AM Edited by Osho, 05 January 2014 - 05:04 AM.

Only Rockstar can pull it off.
It's not a 900 MB Vice city model game but whole new modern game to work and apply it.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:11 AM

Liberty City is boring.

[fanboy rage mode] You are boring. LC is the best. LS sucks. LC rules. I'll kick your ass for disagreeing[/fanboy rage mode].
  • DeafMetal, Andreas and BlackScout like this

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:13 AM

If they could import the maps from the PS2-era games into GTA IV then it should not be a problem to import IV's Liberty City into GTA V.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:17 AM

Liberty City is murky and dark and depressing.

The fun sun soaked city of Los Santos is where it's at.

No it isn't.

There is literally a setting in the timecyc for IV that it's only function is to actually lower the saturation. Every weather and time of day has this, it's called Desaturation. The higher the value, the more color. The lower, the more darker and gray it is. There's also a gray-green filter over the screen.

Foggy weather has the value really low, to the point where the game almost looks purely black and white. Extra Sunny has the highest value, but still not 1.00.

ENB mods correct this "issue" by removing the color correction filter, and voiding the desaturation. But if you prefer IV's default look and weathers, there is this mod that only changes the filter and desaturation. Of course, it's only for PC.

But use that, and you'll see Liberty City isn't actually very crappy looking as most say it is. It's nothing like GTA V, but there's also the fact that the lighting system is a lot better, there's ambient occlusion, all that stuff.

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

The truth has been found.

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:37 AM Edited by BlackScout, 05 January 2014 - 05:45 AM.

Hmmm they made San Andreas in IV, Vice City in IV, and lots of others cities
But porting all this stuff requires lots of rewriting, adjusts, timecyc adaptions, handling changes, car conversions, paths edition, many many sh*t, btw, it would be amazing watching Liberty City with a great FPS, and better graphics, because IV-PORT performance SUCKS, and I think Rockstar learnt with the mistake they made...
And the engine has some limitations, which I don't think it would be possible to put LC and LS in the same map.

• Osho likes this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:54 AM Edited by Osho, 05 January 2014 - 06:04 AM.

As BlackScout points out, GTA IV was a console port and not a PC game primarily.
Had GTA 4 was optimized for PC and made in tandem so that GTA V would only require porting the LC map to play it would have made things easy.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

It will probably end up the same as all previous map modes which means:

1. We'll get a mod that REPLACES V map with IV map (due to engine limitations it's was always practically impossible to put two maps together, I think there was only one mod that maganed to pull it off and it put LC and VC replacing SA due to them both being smaller than SA so they could fit withing engine limits)

2. The first ones won't have any peds, later on they will be added but many probably still glitchy.

3. There won't be missions, though later on some player made missions might be added but they'll never manage to recreate IV's original missions on V's engine.

So yeah, we will get map of LC in V's engine, but it will REPLACE V's map, not expand it, and it will be just a sandbox map to make chaos or do stunts, no story or anything like that.

And yes, there will also be projects where people try to put 3D era maps, like there were with IV.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:13 AM

Hmmm they made San Andreas in IV, Vice City in IV, and lots of others cities
But porting all this stuff requires lots of rewriting, adjusts, timecyc adaptions, handling changes, car conversions, paths edition, many many sh*t, btw, it would be amazing watching Liberty City with a great FPS, and better graphics, because IV-PORT performance SUCKS, and I think Rockstar learnt with the mistake they made...
And the engine has some limitations, which I don't think it would be possible to put LC and LS in the same map.

As BlackScout points out, GTA IV was a console port and not a PC game primarily.
Had GTA 4 was optimized for PC and made in tandem so that GTA V would only require porting the LC map to play it would have made things easy.

I really expect GTA V's port to be good this time around. I mean think about it. That was their first time coding and optimizing things so the game could run on a PC architecture. With some patches the game is a lot better than it was when it first released. Then they separately developed Max Payne 3's PC version from the PS3/360 version - and that turned out great.

Rockstar now has a better idea on how the RAGE can work on the PC, and after the mess that IV was, I doubt they'll make the same mistake. It wasn't a secret that it was bad. I can't see them doing that again and getting more publicity on their awful ports.

sakurablossom
  • sakurablossom

Professional Badass

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:21 AM Edited by sakurablossom, 05 January 2014 - 07:22 AM.

@cp1dell

Those screen shots look actually pretty good. But that setting you were talking about, is that only for PC or can it also be on Xbox 360. I still like LS better than LC though, but my opinion on LC has raised significantly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users