Photo

Unexpected sad/depressing moments?

277 replies to this topic
DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

Going through my second playthrough of the game now, and I'm kind of surprised at how depressing some of the little details are. The game's satire is usually so over-the-top that it's just too ridiculous to take seriously, but I've seen two little things that kind of got me off guard and made me a little sad on this playthrough.

First, I switched to Michael, did a cop chase, and decided to head back home for the health pack in the bathroom since I was pretty close to it anyway. So, I went upstairs and I heard Tracey vomiting, she said something like "it's nothing dad, I just had a huge diner." I thought it was just because she had drank too much from a party or something, which I would totally expect, so I chuckled. As I walked out of the door, though, she said something along the lines of "nobody wants a fat daughter." Like, f*ck, Rockstar, that's f*cked up.

The second thing I encountered was a few minutes ago: I went to Vespuchi Beach to get the masks for the underwater heist and saw a hooker there after I finished so I picked her up. During the service, she said something like "I'm just doing this to pay off my student loans," which I thought was pretty funny (she was jumping on Michael's balls so it was hard to take seriously). After she left though, she got on the phone and said in a pretty self-loathing tone "Hey, about those student loans..." (I accidentally scared her off after that though so didn't catch the rest lol) That's pretty f*cked up too, especially when you know people who are neck-high in student debt.

Seriously, it's pretty f*cked up - they bring in real, sad issues just out of nowhere in the middle of all the ridiculous sh*t.

Anyone else have a moment like this while playing the game?

• milkmansun, GroundZero, burnzy187 and 19 others like this

JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:03 AM

GTAV is supposed to be a realistic portrayal of three guys trying to make ends meet in a f*cked up city. Little things like those contribute to the accurate portrayal of Los Angeles.

• lizardman563 likes this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:22 AM

Was in Mission Row hanging around the Police Station and all of the sudden one of the cops gets a call, the subject to it was that his was trying to see his kids and had to appeal in court due to his divorce. Directly after that I felt really f*cking bad for trying to kill any nearby cop.

The other one was about John Berstein, he really tried hard to get his career on track and had to still pay the loans of his car and had to sell his wife just to be able to get Lenny off his back. I really felt bad for him..

• DeafMetal, Bonnano, Mightymomo22 and 1 other like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:32 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 05 January 2014 - 01:32 AM.

LMAO.Loving it :)
let go on

GTAV is supposed to be a realistic portrayal of three guys trying to make ends meet in a f*cked up city. Little things like those contribute to the accurate portrayal of Los Angeles.

Is that the image of Jack(Eastender)in the GTA 2:The Movie? Cool bro

JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:49 AM

let go on

Yep, Scott Maslen. I always imagined that if there was gonna be a GTA movie, that guy would be the perfect lead.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

Picked up another hooker to see if she called anyone, she f*cking called her mom saying how her hours are so bad, pretending to be working I think as a computer something (didn't catch it) and the mom was saying how proud she was of her. FOR f*ckS SAKES ROCKSTAR. I think this is their way of making players think twice before beating hookers with baseball bats for their money back. Haven't killed a damn hooker since that one with the student loans, I even avoid them on the sidewalk while driving lol

• visionist, GroundZero, bobo081093 and 12 others like this

Bonnano
  • Bonnano

i hate the mexican that screams "f*ck me in the ass"

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

I went to Vespuchi Beach to get the masks for the underwater heist 

wat.

OT:

I was in Sandy Shores as Franklin driving around trying to look for Trevor's trailer when my IRL dog storms into the bedroom to distract me, as I put my eyes into the screen again, I ran over some domestic dog and the owner goes beserk, I have no choice but to kill the owner too... with an RPG. I don't like killing dogs in this game.

SingularSoul
  • SingularSoul

“Scientific Progress goes boink?”

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:01 PM Edited by SingularSoul, 18 July 2014 - 01:46 PM.

I once passed a girl near the film studios who said "I once had to literally f**k a guy to get cast in his new movie" or something like that.

Whilst it was hilarious at the time, it suddenly hit me that such a scenario is all too common in the real world.

Hollywood's a vicious place; a misogynistic, sexist, objectifying industry. Satire sometimes opens our eyes to more than we could possibly conceive. Gee, all that from a passing comment made in a video game..

• visionist, Gutslab, GroundZero and 12 others like this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

I went to Vespuchi Beach to get the masks for the underwater heist 

wat.

My bad lol haven't played the story since the game launched. It's the one with the boiler suits, I confused it with the one with the scuba gear.

Gee, all that from a passing comment made in a video game..

Right??? Jesus H f*cking Christ lol Ths actually re-energizes my being pissed off at the dumbsh*ts that said the game was misogynistic - it's highlighting issues young women have to deal with because of the pressure put on by the media.

• SingularSoul likes this

cldd
  • cldd

Rock On

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

Yeah, this game can be sad. Especially during Trevor's dialogue.

From the prologue, if you have an extended battle with the cops, Trevor is basically begging for them to kill him. "JUST TAKE ME INSTEAD" He would have much rather died that day and let Michael and Brad live. 

Also, when Chang rejects Trevor's business deal, if you don't get in the car right away, Trevor will say things like, "CAN'T THINGS JUST WORK OUT FOR ONCE?" "IS HAPPINESS SO HARD?".

The dialogue/voice acting in this game is probably some of the best I've heard in a long time. 

• GroundZero, DeafMetal, MarkyEvansy and 7 others like this

SingularSoul
  • SingularSoul

“Scientific Progress goes boink?”

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Gee, all that from a passing comment made in a video game..

Right??? Jesus H f*cking Christ lol Ths actually re-energizes my being pissed off at the dumbsh*ts that said the game was misogynistic - it's highlighting issues young women have to deal with because of the pressure put on by the media.

Exactly. The game itself simply points out the issues society refuses to acknowledge. Sure, the game features misogyny, sexism and stereotyping; Just like the world we live in. People seem to miss the purpose of such a parody. As uncomfortable as I felt after hearing what the NPC said, it certainly made me more aware of the world we live in. Kudos to Rockstar indeed. :)

Xx-ADITYA-xX
  • Xx-ADITYA-xX

Blazing Wolves - Crew Leader

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Going through my second playthrough of the game now, and I'm kind of surprised at how depressing some of the little details are. The game's satire is usually so over-the-top that it's just too ridiculous to take seriously, but I've seen two little things that kind of got me off guard and made me a little sad on this playthrough.

First, I switched to Michael, did a cop chase, and decided to head back home for the health pack in the bathroom since I was pretty close to it anyway. So, I went upstairs and I heard Tracey vomiting, she said something like "it's nothing dad, I just had a huge diner." I thought it was just because she had drank too much from a party or something, which I would totally expect, so I chuckled. As I walked out of the door, though, she said something along the lines of "nobody wants a fat daughter." Like, f*ck, Rockstar, that's f*cked up.

The second thing I encountered was a few minutes ago: I went to Vespuchi Beach to get the masks for the underwater heist and saw a hooker there after I finished so I picked her up. During the service, she said something like "I'm just doing this to pay off my student loans," which I thought was pretty funny (she was jumping on Michael's balls so it was hard to take seriously). After she left though, she got on the phone and said in a pretty self-loathing tone "Hey, about those student loans..." (I accidentally scared her off after that though so didn't catch the rest lol) That's pretty f*cked up too, especially when you know people who are neck-high in student debt.

Seriously, it's pretty f*cked up - they bring in real, sad issues just out of nowhere in the middle of all the ridiculous sh*t.

When I first saw the driving mechanics in the game play trailer, that was depressing lol, but now I've gotten used to it.

• visionist, LiquidNitrogen and Canibitch like this

D3ADSH0T
  • D3ADSH0T

Courier 6

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:48 PM Edited by D3ADSH0T, 05 January 2014 - 06:21 PM.

From the prologue, if you have an extended battle with the cops, Trevor is basically begging for them to kill him. "JUST TAKE ME INSTEAD" He would have much rather died that day and let Michael and Brad live. 

Also, when Chang rejects Trevor's business deal, if you don't get in the car right away, Trevor will say things like, "CAN'T THINGS JUST WORK OUT FOR ONCE?" "IS HAPPINESS SO HARD?".

Ok this part actually brought a tear to my eye! Even Madrazo's wife tells us that Trevor is a very sweat man. Apart from Trevor's aggressive behavior and violent antics, he really is a saddened man, locked away from happiness.
  • GroundZero, DeafMetal, spongebob83 and 4 others like this

Plank.
  • Plank.

Literally worse than Hitler.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

The mission where Trevor has to steal a van full of pills and bring it to his mother. And then when he gets back and she's gone and he starts crying, and you realize that she was never really there at all.

• visionist, GroundZero, LiveApk25 and 14 others like this

AnonBeliever
  • AnonBeliever

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:35 AM

The part that got me was Johnny saying "well I still love her" while walking away and then Ashley crying over his body. Thanks rockstar. Just piss all over the fans right? Aside from that I really enjoyed the moral dilemmas this game introduced. The hookers and cops phone conversations are a great example.
  • Charles Phipps, DeafMetal, D3ADSH0T and 4 others like this

IGhostUlt
  • IGhostUlt

LSLKS

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:47 AM Edited by IGhostUlt, 06 January 2014 - 04:47 AM.

When Franklin tells Tanisha that he'll change for her. But she still rejects him and later she even calls him and says that she's getting married. So depressing.

• visionist, DeafMetal, Aerosmithfan999 and 1 other like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:47 AM

Ok this part actually brought a tear to my eye! Even Madrazo's wife tells us that Trevor is a very sweat man. Apart from Trevor's aggressive behavior and violent antics, he really is a saddened man, locked away from happiness.

I think the small things about Trevor are really one of the most depressing aspects of the game as a whole. Like how he shows flashes of a clean, reasonable and mentally stable person at several points in the game. 

The undertones of his torture are what saddens me the most. Especially with those calls Patricia gives him and they share those short moments of an actual normal talk. Without Trevor going off the rails. Like an actual, caring conversation. 

So yeah, I guess the "small details" regarding Trevor are what depress me the most. It's funny because, most of the times (and even during several of the rampage missions), he's quite relaxed. Friendly, even. But the things people say (The things some people can't resist saying to insult or antagonize) just set him the f*ck off.  

I like how his theme reflects his deep mental torment, as well. It isn't what you'd expect from a "Wacky generic rampaging hill-billy" character (His character is above that stereotype, in my opinion.). 

• visionist, GroundZero, Lelouch vi Britannia and 5 others like this

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:17 AM

As I walked out of the door, though, she said something along the lines of "nobody wants a fat daughter." Like, f*ck, Rockstar, that's f*cked up.

I was going to bring that up. Before that, I thought of Tracey as just a stupid, impressionable slut who would f*ck anybody to get places in life. That was both unexpected and kind of upsetting, since it shows that she's bulimic and actually hates herself beneath her apparent self-centered personality. Also, she looks at herself as a failure in her parents' eyes. 

• Charles Phipps, DeafMetal, CartmanKusanagi and 1 other like this

JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:25 AM Edited by JustRob, 06 January 2014 - 05:26 AM.

When Franklin tells Tanisha that he'll change for her. But she still rejects him and later she even calls him and says that she's getting married. So depressing.

I didn't think that was very sad at all. It was obvious Franklin was just like CJ when it came to girls. empty promises.

Spoiler

• GroundZero, atsjoonas and matajuegos01 like this

QuietJosh
  • QuietJosh

Cynical and Grumpy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:44 AM

I'm glad someone made a thread like this - in the game, usually only cutscenes or the times the characters are directly involved in something (i.e., Franklin and Tonya's convo in the tow truck, et al) are subtitled (my hearing isn't so hot, so I have to rely on the subs) - and conversations from NPC's (hookers, cops, passer-bys) are not, so I miss out on a lot.

(None of the GTA games have NPC subtitles, one of my pet peeves...)

Thanks to everyone who posted - and keep it coming, it makes me a little more aware of the in-game environment.

• DeafMetal, OneManCrimeWave, matajuegos01 and 1 other like this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:46 AM Edited by DeafMetal, 06 January 2014 - 05:46 AM.

As I walked out of the door, though, she said something along the lines of "nobody wants a fat daughter." Like, f*ck, Rockstar, that's f*cked up.

I was going to bring that up. Before that, I thought of Tracey as just a stupid, impressionable slut who would f*ck anybody to get places in life. That was both unexpected and kind of upsetting, since it shows that she's bulimic and actually hates herself beneath her apparent self-centered personality. Also, she looks at herself as a failure in her parents' eyes. 

That is one thing I LOVE about this game. It's not 2-dimensional, but it can really come off that way at first glance. It doesn't have to scream out "I AM SENSITIVE, FEEL SORRY FOR ME" like 99% of other games out there - they really got their character building mastered. That's EXACTLY why I did NOT like Niko from IV (come at me miamivice brah): he kept TELLING us how disturbed he was instead of SHOWING us. Trevor, on the other hand, I think does that much better - he isn't hypocritical in that he says one thing in the cutscenes and then kills dozens of people... and yet, if you pay attention, you can see he's completely broken on the inside, and that brokenness is very intelligently coated in humor, so your first reaction will be to laugh. Take the reaction to his mother suddenly disappearing, for example: my first reaction was just to laugh at how ridiculous that was, but the more I thought on it, the more I felt sorry for him taking into account the dialogue involved and the stuff he had mentioned about his mother and family in general. He was very carefully crafted, as were a ton of these other characters.

It pisses me off how people, especially reviewers who are PAID to play the games, are quick to slap a "2-dimensional" or "shallow" seal on anything that has even a f*cking degree of subtlety because they're either too f*cking stupid to notice it or don't take the time to give it a second thought or a second glance. Like that jackass that said there's no women in the game that aren't 2-d - I can name a f*ckload of chicks in the game that have more depth than the entire Gamespot team COMBINED.

• visionist, GroundZero, Officer Ronson and 15 others like this

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:05 AM

Franklin says some stuff that's funny on the surface, but pretty grim when he takes rips from his bong, or the joint in his aunties house.

'My toes are numb...I can't feel my toes. My toes are gone. I don't feel anything at all.'

He's also pretty clearly hung up on his ex leaving him. It seems more that he just wants to have her, not because he loves her. Also, she's not exactly a great person herself, looking down on Franklin for moving out of Chamberlain Hills when she did the exact same thing.

Steven Ogg really brought Trevor to life (even though he's my least favorite) as well. There are moments that are haunted by the sorrow filled rage in his voice. Others have mentioned the opening scene after B and M are shot and I agree.
  • GroundZero, DeafMetal, OneManCrimeWave and 2 others like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:16 AM Edited by cp1dell, 06 January 2014 - 06:19 AM.

You ever watch TV and see the clip where Tracey sings on Fame or Shame?

Equally depressing.

@SmoothGetaway

Just the other day I hit the bong as Franklin for the first time - I never noticed it. Dialogue went something along the lines of:

"Damn that weed is strong. Strong strong strong. Just like me. I'm really strong. I'm a strong motherf*cker. Nobody f*cks with me because I'm so strong. Nobody f*cks with me because nobody likes me."

• visionist, GroundZero, SmoothGetaway and 9 others like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:26 PM Edited by Xerukal, 06 January 2014 - 01:42 PM.

You ever watch TV and see the clip where Tracey sings on Fame or Shame?

Equally depressing.

@SmoothGetaway

Just the other day I hit the bong as Franklin for the first time - I never noticed it. Dialogue went something along the lines of:

"Damn that weed is strong. Strong strong strong. Just like me. I'm really strong. I'm a strong motherf*cker. Nobody f*cks with me because I'm so strong. Nobody f*cks with me because nobody likes me."

Aw, man. That's quite sad. Poor Frank.

I like you, Frank. I have 45% Trevor usage, but you're 35% (Talking about the Social Club stats). So it's ok. It's all gonna be ok :(

IceHot100
  • IceHot100

Out of Order

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

That's america for you bro....know a guy (20 years old) who had an incurable disease, underwent an operation and had to stay at the hospital for a 3 days. Guess what? 55 thousand bill for the operation and staying there AND got detention from school because he didn't tell beforehand that he was gonna be operated :( 

• Charles Phipps likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

let go on

Yep, Scott Maslen. I always imagined that if there was gonna be a GTA movie, that guy would be the perfect lead.

Why bother with a movie when he was already the basis of Claude Speed? He's had his time. 

Go check out some pics of Claude Speed, you'll never be able to take Eastenders seriously again (... yeah, like it was possible to in the first place...)

Shotgunna-Hux
  • Shotgunna-Hux

The mind is a cavern

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

I was just playing the game as Franklin, hanging out with Lamar in the strip club. I was concentrating on snapping photos of the premises inside, and had to decline many private dance invitations from the strippers. The one Franklin already knew (full likeness), Sapphire, asked Franklin for a dance and I declined. She then replied "I need that money for drugs Franklin..". That hit me pretty hard. Maybe she uses drugs to conceal her shame of working as a stripper... or to brighten up her mood so she could enjoy her job, but only when she's high on drugs?? I can only wonder what it's like to be a female stripper in real life..

• lizardman563, DeafMetal, matajuegos01 and 1 other like this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:38 PM Edited by DeafMetal, 06 January 2014 - 07:38 PM.

That's america for you bro....know a guy (20 years old) who had an incurable disease, underwent an operation and had to stay at the hospital for a 3 days. Guess what? 55 thousand bill for the operation and staying there AND got detention from school because he didn't tell beforehand that he was gonna be operated :(

That is beyond f*cked up man, his credit is gonna go to sh*t for something he had no control over. Universities and Hospitals are the biggest f*cking scammers in the country, sadly. I really hope he manages to come out on top.

• visionist, GroundZero, ten-a-penny and 2 others like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Huh, and people say this game is lighthearted.

In IV I wouldn't really feel anything at all for the pedestrians, I just couldn't give a flying f*ck about cops.

Literally if I killed a cop in IV nobody would give the slightlest of a f*ck. It's like they never existed to their partners. They were just there for the sake of having something to kill.

In V I literally felt bad for killing cops at certain points, they were truely just doing their job. They talked to each other and communicated, asked eachother if they were ready, certain cops would reply with ''I WAS BORN READY''.

If somebody was downed they would look at their body and Yell to call and ambulance or to shout out the name of the cop I killed. Injured ones would be dragged behind cover. Used hand to hand signals.

Bottom of the line is. V's pedestrians are more alive than the ones in IV. In V I felt like a I killed somebody, in IV I felt like I just shot at a nameless sack of potatoes.

• Chrome_Adderz, lizardman563, gangmug and 8 others like this

MeGusta90
  • MeGusta90

I want a cool image under this sentence

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

At the end of the game, if you pick the ending where you kill Michael, he says on the phone that his daughter is going to college or something.

Then you f*cking drop him off a ledge.

• DeafMetal and KaramG like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users