» «
Photo

Tell me about your life philosophy

9 replies to this topic
Drake1212
  • Drake1212

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:32 PM Edited by Drake1212, 04 January 2014 - 11:32 PM.

Like the title says. I want to know what your thoughts on life are (briefly, i don't want your whole life story).
Are you religious? if so, which one?
Or do you put your faith in science? Or do you just believe in neither science nor religion (true nihilism)?

Your thoughts on free will and predeterminism?
Your thoughts on ethics. Do you have ethics? what kind? utilitarian, kantian, egoist or something else?
Or do you not believe in anything and just comply with society's norms?

Your thoughts on our existance, does it have a meaning? or a purpose?
Your thoughts on the death, the afterlife or reincarnation?
Or does nothing really matter as we only exist inside your head (solipsism)?

I DON'T want your answer in any form of a list, that would be boring - and people's thoughts aren't boring.
So tell me: what do you think about this "Life"?

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

I'm the cosmic gypsy, tipsy from plutonium whisky.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

I wouldn't say I'm religious, but I do lean towards some spirituality. I appreciate of lot of teachings from Buddhism, Sufism, Hinduism and am also interested in Shamanism, but I don't really believe in some all powerful being, though I'm also not completely against this theory. That said, I still appreciate science.

My belief on ethics are pretty simple. I think that you can pretty much do what you want, as long as you don't get in the way of others happiness, not because you'll offend God, just out of pure decency. However, I also strongly believe that not everything can be solved though words, and support any fight against injustice.

I don't believe there's any real reason or meaning in life, ı think we're just a bunch of atoms floating in space, so you may as well just enjoy this magnificent coincidence.

I'm unsure about the afterlife, although if it was my choice I'd like reincarnation. I like to believe that whatever you believe is what will happen.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΛΟ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:31 AM Edited by Criѕtian, 05 January 2014 - 01:32 AM.

I'm not religious and I don't identify with any label (regarding my views) anymore. I value evidence and rational thought.

I think that free will is an illusion. It's definitely an incoherent concept to begin with (i.e. you can't even define it clearly) and yes, I think that determinism is an accurate description of how events unfold on the macroscopic scale and this apparent fact is incompatible with free will, and even if you add randomness\chance into the mix, that still doesn't give you any freedom. There are also ways to examine your own choices and you will see that you really have no idea why you pick certain things as opposed to others, and are you free to choose that which did not occur to you to choose? Sam Harris wrote a short book on this subject (if anyone is interested). He provides solid arguments against the idea of free will (not that there was any evidence for it to begin with lol).

As for ethics, I think that science can offer us the best answers about right and wrong, and in principle, objective ones. Morality relates to conscious beings and to the well being of those creatures, and in turn well being is dependent on reality. Therefore, if we can study reality, we can (in principle, and in practice) study facts about morality. I spoke quite a bit about this in a topic in the debates subforum. I won't repeat myself in the same amount of detail. At least not for now.

I don't think there's any meaning to life and I also don't believe in an afterlife. I simply want to live because life offers a certain range of experiences that are interesting\rewarding and also because we have an instinctual fear of death. I have time to die later.

• high91 likes this

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

Unfurl the banner of social war - Kill capital

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:48 AM

make total destroy

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

I think, i will live this life like many others, thus discovering the meaning of life in death. Pretty easy, and most should do this as well IMO, i do not believe in hell if you ask about religion.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

I'm a negative preference utilitarian and proponent of Social Market economics and Nordic social models.
  • Graven likes this

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

f*ck bitches, get money.

Life Philosophy right there.

Graven
  • Graven

Boss

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:18 AM Edited by Graven, 05 January 2014 - 11:18 AM.

I´m a nature-loving nietzschean positivist, and I believe in Nordic social model and traditions.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:35 AM Edited by El Zilcho, 05 January 2014 - 11:39 AM.

I'm a negative preference utilitarian and proponent of Social Market economics and Nordic social models.

I am largely the same, although I'm more centrist in regards to my views on social models than the Scandinavians. Social Market economics is a personal favourite of mine. And I use utilitarianism only as a loose guide, rather than a doctrine I can place some unbending 'faith' in. I may be a two-level utilitarian, on closer inspection.

Aside from that, I'm a materialist atheist.

• sivispacem likes this

high91
  • high91

Eminem- Infinite-1996-313

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

I'm not religious and I don't identify with any label (regarding my views) anymore. I value evidence and rational thought.

I think that free will is an illusion. It's definitely an incoherent concept to begin with (i.e. you can't even define it clearly) and yes, I think that determinism is an accurate description of how events unfold on the macroscopic scale and this apparent fact is incompatible with free will, and even if you add randomness\chance into the mix, that still doesn't give you any freedom. There are also ways to examine your own choices and you will see that you really have no idea why you pick certain things as opposed to others, and are you free to choose that which did not occur to you to choose? Sam Harris wrote a short book on this subject (if anyone is interested). He provides solid arguments against the idea of free will (not that there was any evidence for it to begin with lol).

As for ethics, I think that science can offer us the best answers about right and wrong, and in principle, objective ones. Morality relates to conscious beings and to the well being of those creatures, and in turn well being is dependent on reality. Therefore, if we can study reality, we can (in principle, and in practice) study facts about morality. I spoke quite a bit about this in a topic in the debates subforum. I won't repeat myself in the same amount of detail. At least not for now.

I don't think there's any meaning to life and I also don't believe in an afterlife. I simply want to live because life offers a certain range of experiences that are interesting\rewarding and also because we have an instinctual fear of death. I have time to die later.

Awesome answer :) You just opened my mind a bit more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users