» «
Photo

Franklin wasn't what I expected him to be

191 replies to this topic
godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:51 PM Edited by godforgivesthelostdont, 04 January 2014 - 07:53 PM.

He was more stereotypically black than I thought him to be.  I thought he was going to be a booksmart educated (but not nerdy) kind of guy who would have ambitions other than murder or money once he was removed from the ghetto, getting himself no more in crime than he absolutely need to.

Anyone else feel the same way?

And I'd figure he'd have something he'd care about other than money (or he would relate to Michael less superficially).  His ascent from streets to big house up in the hills was abrupt and happened fast.  The backstory of him and his ex-girlfriend wasn't fleshed out really.

In the early trailer, he seemed like a decent guy, victim of his circumstance whereas Michael and Trevor should know better.  Franklin was the kind of guy I wanted to root for in a world gone wrong, but all three are major league assholes.  Michael is relateable and Trevor has a charm beneath his craziness, but I found Franklin a bit bland and unlikable

• visionist, Loxley, stjimmy3 and 1 other like this

Nathaaann
  • Nathaaann

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

I just wanted him to be a ghetto thug gangster who would mercilessly kill anyone in his path (of course not the Families). I see games as an experience that I wouldn't normally think of doing or enjoying in real life and seek a conclusion of what were to happen on the opposite hand.

• RyanBurnsRed likes this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

He had great potential, but he ends up in a house and all he does now is iron clothes and eat potato chips.

• visionist, Chaise, GroundZero and 26 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:57 PM Edited by Official General, 04 January 2014 - 08:02 PM.

I wanted to see a dramatic and intense struggle between loyalty to his gang and friends from the hood he's known all his life and his new found friends like Michael and Trevor who've introduced him to an entirely different life of crime that has given him a life of big luxury and riches. 

All we got was him moaning to Lamar, not really giving a sh*t about his peoples and him just wanting to get rich. All he cared about was getting money, there just nothing else to him, his personality had no substance. We hardly got an insight to his relationship with his ex, his friendship with Lamar, or more about his family. He was a bit bland for sure. 

• visionist, Detective Phelps, pilscy and 1 other like this

Gauntlet Hair
  • Gauntlet Hair

Professional Pilot IRL

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

Franklin's story certainly was a weird one. I figured one of his main plot points would be getting Tanisha back, but I certainly am glad that wasn't the case. Tanisha is an excellent representation of the kind of woman I can't stand, and even as a videogame character, I can't help but think Franklin deserves better.

As for Franklin's actual plot, I thought it was decent. I would have liked a bit more action in the beginning relating to the gangs, and a pinpoint reason for Franklin wanting out - a specific event that made him want to change. Franklin believing he is surrounded by idiots certainly is true - Lamar is a loyal friend, but his character reminds me of a child who can't decide what he wants; to be a gangbanger, to make money, or to be Franklin's friend. Tanisha, well, Tanisha is one of the biggest hypocrites I've seen in a videogame and I'm certainly glad nothing else came of her after her last appearance. Franklin's Aunt is also very hypocritical. She wants to get Franklin out of her house, and wants him to make something of his life, but then berates him from leaving his 'home' when he gets out of the ghetto.

All in all, I think Franklin's friendship with Michael made sense, as Franklin had finally found someone who (in his eyes) was a legitimate, honest, and straight-up career criminal who could help him get what he wanted. 

• Gantons Most Wanted, Lisha, DeafMetal and 2 others like this

TheKryptonite
  • TheKryptonite

The World is Yours

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

He seemed to complain a lot, imo.

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

I think when you work on three stories at once, you don't have the luxury to fully flesh out any of them.

• Loxley and Ixnay like this

Mr Oraange
  • Mr Oraange

shriek

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Personally, I like how he turned out. Smart for a 'gangbanger', but not too smart. Nuahmean?

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

Franklin is the realization of the classic question 'Do you want to have fun, or do you want to make money?'.

I think he'll be developed more, the Vagos thing needs resolution and there is no way the Ballas didn't connect him to Mike after he stretched Stretch out.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

I think when you work on three stories at once, you don't have the luxury to fully flesh out any of them.

This was one of my worries before the game came out, and it's true. The only person that was fleshed out was Michael. The story is more about how he drags Franklin and Trevor into his mess than anything else. He was the first person Rockstar came up with for GTA V, and he appears in more missions than Trevor or Franklin.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

The reason for the stories not being properly explained in depth is having three characters. They simply had too little missions for each one, and focused more on getting them together and start the action as soon as possible, instead of slowly working on them.

The game needed at least 10 more solo mission for each character to allow it to develop the character properly.

As for you expecting them to be booksmart.. well this is an action game first and foremost, so don't ever expect that kind of character in such games. Their place is in business simulator games, action games get trigger happy protags, that's the rule. Wouldn't make too much sense otherwise.
Michel is the most ''booksmarts looking'' character ever in GTA, and he's no different than any other protag when it comes to action. So I'm not really sure what you expected of Franklin? To enjoy riding a bike and have mission revolving that once he's rich?
This kind of games calls for action gameplay and missions, and thus story, must go for that.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

They had the chance to keep the SA fanboys at bay but his story turned out to be the least interesting of any protagonist in recent memory.

In a way it felt more like a shared story with Lamar and we don't get to see Franklin doing a whole lot on his own aside from the assassination missions.

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

The reason for the stories not being properly explained in depth is having three characters. They simply had too little missions for each one, and focused more on getting them together and start the action as soon as possible, instead of slowly working on them.

The game needed at least 10 more solo mission for each character to allow it to develop the character properly.

Well, even then, there would still be a conflict.  The individual narratives will be fleshed out, but the meta-narrative (the overarching story where the three meet) may be a bit bloated.  The pacing may be off, and the flow from heist to heist may not have the same rhythm.  Heavy Rain had this problem where they had to cut out each of the characters backstories to make it flow good.

The Quench
  • The Quench

'SEVEN1FO'

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

He was basically a puppet caught in the middle of Michael and Trevor's history. His character had so many opportunities to develop (i.e. his aunt, what Franklin himself did in the past, more characters that HE knew, instead of random tourists and sh*t). When I think back about V's story, I remember everything about Michael and Trevor; Franklin was just there.

I remember I read an article earlier this week where R* said 'using three characters at once could be a hit or miss' and although (of course) they thought it was a hit; Franklin's over character was for sure a miss.

/2¢

• Panz likes this

ESClassic
  • ESClassic

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

Here's my take on it. With all three protags.

I think all three were made to fit all gta players gameplay according to how they play.

Micheal was made for the "smart, get rich, organized crime" kind of players (tommy vercetti style if you would).

Trevor was made for the country loving, destroy everything with murder and mayhem kind of players that play as wreckless as they can.

And Franklin was made for the people that enjoy the ghetto sides of gta (San Andreas style)

Previous GTAs, the conflict of interest of the single main character played a role in interest of the game. Like wen gta 4 came out, not too many people liked the fact of him being Russian. Or when SA came out, a LOT of people hating the fact that he was blac! Etc etc. by doin three different characters from three different baccgrounds, it would satisfy everyone's bitching.

But for franklins sake, I honestly think they through him in last minute to satisfy the SA kinda fans that love the gang sh*t but it was rushed which is why he has no real character buildup and why the gangs/neighborhoods are small and rushed with no real action.

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

I don't think it's either hit or miss.  It had lots of successes, some failures, but overall I'd say it was positive.

Papi Chulo
  • Papi Chulo

Honeys & Money

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:38 AM Edited by Papi-Chulo, 05 January 2014 - 12:39 AM.

Most organized criminals got book smarts though. Pay close attention, Franklin reads plenty of books. Yeah  he might  own a big house in the hills, bills  gotta be paid though. Why work square ass 9/5 when you got connection to the criminal underworld making millions.

Story with his ex-gf doesn't really need anymore clarity. Bitch got tired dating thugs, got with a doctor who provider her with bit of ''Financial Stability''.

Franklin is a blank canvas, allow your creative mind to paint the canvas, clear enough to see the bigger picture.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

He had great potential, but he ends up in a house and all he does now is iron clothes and eat potato chips.

...and drink wine instead of beer.

JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

To be honest I also thought Franklin had the weakest story of the three. I would've loved to see a lot more Training Day / Boyz N' The Hood in there. Corrupt cops trying to crack down on him, rival gangs trying to take his hood, etc.

• visionist likes this

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

Most organized criminals got book smarts though. Pay close attention, Franklin reads plenty of books. Yeah  he might  own a big house in the hills, bills  gotta be paid though. Why work square ass 9/5 when you got connection to the criminal underworld making millions.

It's true. You also get the impression that Franklin watches the news a lot. He knows who Martin Madrazo is when Michael doesn't, and during Lester's first assassination he knows everything about Jay Norris without Lester needing to tell him. The Subtle approach of the Big Score seems to imply that he has some computer skills as well.

Although how a smart kid could survive in the ghetto so long without taking the time to work on his marksmanship is beyond me.

bootswitdafur
  • bootswitdafur

They should all be destroyed!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:01 AM

He wasn't all bad. I liked playing as him, a clean slate almost claude speed type character. Just fill in his past myself no backstory to be hung up on. And he's the youngest and most spry of the lot.

Deus Ex
  • Deus Ex

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

He's a smart kid, maybe doesn't appear like that, but he is. He is cool.

Maybe had bit different expectations, but i'm okay with it.

stjimmy3
  • stjimmy3

Hater of player haters

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:59 AM

Ya the plot was just Mike and Trevor's relationship... and Franklin was there rolling his eyes at every turn. 

Deus Ex
  • Deus Ex

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

Ya the plot was just Mike and Trevor's relationship... and Franklin was there rolling his eyes at every turn. 

The story would be boring without him, those two are interesting, but story is much better with him in. 

And that's the point i guess, those two are main protagonists and story is mostly centered around them, while Frank is more of a supporting protagonist.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

To be honest I also thought Franklin had the weakest story of the three. I would've loved to see a lot more Training Day / Boyz N' The Hood in there. Corrupt cops trying to crack down on him, rival gangs trying to take his hood, etc.

This  :^:

I would have rather had this than that FIB/Merryweather rubbish. 

• lazy. likes this

cldd
  • cldd

Prankster

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

So you guys want SA2. Boyz N' The Hood was done in SA. 

Why do you people not want a fresh story?

JustRob
  • JustRob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

Because it was good. If you're gonna put Franklin's house in Grove Street, and make him part of a gang, I expect there to be a story that's an improvement of that of SA's Los Santos segment. Just think about some of the missions in there. Just Business, Reuniting The Families... Just two examples of memorable moments in San Andreas that were awesome. GTAV had the potential to do something even more awesome for Franklin.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:55 PM Edited by Official General, 05 January 2014 - 07:21 PM.

So you guys want SA2. Boyz N' The Hood was done in SA. 

Why do you people not want a fresh story?

No, let me revise that. I'd rather a Training Day, End Of Watch and The Shield kind of theme to do with corrupt LA cops. You know, a set of real corrupt cop stories that involves dealings with street gangs, Mexican drug cartels, various mafias etc. Like Los Santos cops trying to frame gangsters/criminals, sabotage drug operations for rival drug organizations, tax street gangs and drug dealers for money etc.

I'm sorry, but I just didn't see what was so interesting or exciting about being forced to do jobs for the FIB or dealing with Merryweather. That part of V had me thinking the game was a weak Splinter Cell-type, Hollywood action b-movie.

• visionist likes this

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

He was pretty much what I thought he would be.

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

I knew Franklin would disappoint me from the start (I'm really not into the whole gang/ghetto crap, it just doesn't appeal to me) but he disappointed me so much more than expected.  He seemed to be some whiney, short guy who never says anything important.  I dreaded all the missions I had to use Franklin for.  If it was an option, I would always switch to Trevor or Michael.  Also I'm tired of switching to Franklin to see him either eating chips or ironing the same damn shirt.  I swear he hasn't done anything else... 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users