Quantcast

» «
Photo

Only 69 Missions You Say?

141 replies to this topic
Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:30 PM Edited by Official General, 06 January 2014 - 08:33 PM.

@ iDred and Masterfocker

I will agree that GTA IV did have quite a considerable number of repetitive missions out of it's overall 91 missions. I've always stated that the one thing that annoyed me about IV's story missions is that there was too much hitman stuff and not enough variation for other criminal activities. IV had an excellent storyline, which kind of made up for the repetitiveness, but it was something the game could have done without. 

However, comparisons to IV are not really the point. I was hoping V was gonna greatly improve on IV's repetitive missions and still keep a relatively large amount of story missions. I really expected V to have around 100 missions minimum, it would have been Rockstar's job to make sure they were not repetitive for most part.

@ Masterfocker (alone)

Sorry, but IV felt much longer. I played both intensively on the first playthrough and IV was longer than V by miles. 

And I'm gonna have to kinda agree with you on some level (I know, the 2 of us agreeing ...End of the world, freaking repent).

GTA 5 kinda overdid it.

Every single mission felt like a f*cking Judge Dredd suicide mission for Jihad.

Really made me appreciate some of the more classic missions such as SPOILERS- the one where the FIB and the IAA and MerryWeather are shooting at eachother, also felt good killing the ULPC guy, I remember his buttf*cking face when I shot him in the head, I never even noticed it was him until he died.. f*cking filler mission asshole.

Or the one where Mercs try to kill Michael's family, or when Franklin is busting Michael out of the meat factory, however. It would have been cooler if the bit where you get to shoot as much while hanging was upside down completely (As in, like Michael's perspective).

But other than that.

Missions were:

Jump on trains.

Fly through a cargo plane.

James Bond.

Take a minigun and literally wreck an entire small town.

Blow up a Freighter.

Fly back to North Yankton to find Brad's magical body that is still recognizable after 9 years of burial.

This is the thing that got me about many of GTA V's main story missions, especially some of the ones you listed. For many parts of the game, I just sometimes felt like I was not playing GTA. I honestly felt I was playing a mix of Splinter Cell/Metal Gear Solid/James Bond/The Sims. I agree with you, I really believe V overdid it with many of those missions. For a bunch of career criminal guys just trying to make money, it was quite excessive to see them go through all that stuff. The Merrywether guys going after Michael's family would have looked much better if it were Madrazo's men instead. If GTA V had more than 69 missions, let's say 100, there could have been more room for other different missions to make the story feel more fleshed out and make more sense. 

@ Son Of Liberty

The amount of missions in GTA V would be fine if the game only had one protagonist, but the consensus is GTA V's story is messy and has poor character development. This is mainly because of the lower mission count not being able to comfortably accommodate multiple protagonists. It all feels rushed and poorly paced.

I mean GTA V has some great misisons, but I would rather more. There's a prison that has served as nothing more than a landmark in the game. A few prison based missions would be ace.

I totally agree. And what you stated about the prison is one reason why I think a great deal of V's map was wasted. There could have been so much story missions to cover other areas of the map than just Los Santos, Sandy Shores and a few small towns. 

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

@ iDred and Masterfocker

I will agree that GTA IV did have quite a considerable number of repetitive missions out of it's overall 91 missions. I've always stated that the one thing that annoyed me about IV's story missions is that there was too much hitman stuff and not enough variation for other criminal activities. IV had an excellent storyline, which kind of made up for the repetitiveness, but it was something the game could have done without. 

However, comparisons to IV are not really the point. I was hoping V was gonna greatly improve on IV's repetitive missions and still keep a relatively large amount of story missions. I really expected V to have around 100 missions minimum, it would have been Rockstar's job to make sure they were not repetitive for most part.

@ Masterfocker (alone)

Sorry, but IV felt much longer. I played both intensively on the first playthrough and IV was longer than V by miles. 

And I'm gonna have to kinda agree with you on some level (I know, the 2 of us agreeing ...End of the world, freaking repent).

GTA 5 kinda overdid it.

Every single mission felt like a f*cking Judge Dredd suicide mission for Jihad.

Really made me appreciate some of the more classic missions such as SPOILERS- the one where the FIB and the IAA and MerryWeather are shooting at eachother, also felt good killing the ULPC guy, I remember his buttf*cking face when I shot him in the head, I never even noticed it was him until he died.. f*cking filler mission asshole.

Or the one where Mercs try to kill Michael's family, or when Franklin is busting Michael out of the meat factory, however. It would have been cooler if the bit where you get to shoot as much while hanging was upside down completely (As in, like Michael's perspective).

But other than that.

Missions were:

Jump on trains.

Fly through a cargo plane.

James Bond.

Take a minigun and literally wreck an entire small town.

Blow up a Freighter.

Fly back to North Yankton to find Brad's magical body that is still recognizable after 9 years of burial.

This is the thing that got me about many of GTA V's main story missions, especially some of the ones you listed. For many parts of the game, I just sometimes felt like I was not playing GTA. I honestly felt I was playing a mix of Splinter Cell/Metal Gear Solid/James Bond/The Sims. I agree with you, I really believe V overdid it with many of those missions. For a bunch of career criminal guys just trying to make money, it was quite excessive to see them go through all that stuff. The Merrywether guys going after Michael's family would have looked much better if it were Madrazo's men instead. If GTA V had more than 69 missions, let's say 100, there could have been more room for other different missions to make the story feel more fleshed out and make more sense. 

@ Son Of Liberty

The amount of missions in GTA V would be fine if the game only had one protagonist, but the consensus is GTA V's story is messy and has poor character development. This is mainly because of the lower mission count not being able to comfortably accommodate multiple protagonists. It all feels rushed and poorly paced.

I mean GTA V has some great misisons, but I would rather more. There's a prison that has served as nothing more than a landmark in the game. A few prison based missions would be ace.

I totally agree. And what you stated about the prison is one reason why I think a great deal of V's map was wasted. There could have been so much story missions to cover other areas of the map than just Los Santos, Sandy Shores and a few small towns. 

I can see the prison being used in DLC.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

So I guess IV was an unfinished game because they cut out the nightclubs for TBoGT?....

• ten-a-penny likes this

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

Well OfficialGeneral, I wouldn't really say they didn't feel like GTA.

I mean, they were easier due to the checkpoint system, which gave us the freedom to do all sorts of shenanigans in missions that we wouldn't dare do in previous GTAs, so that might have had something to do with the game feeling really action oriented.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:34 PM Edited by Official General, 06 January 2014 - 10:34 PM.

So I guess IV was an unfinished game because they cut out the nightclubs for TBoGT?....

In a way it IV was kinda unfinished, well many felt that way and it was one of the reasons IV was heavily criticized. However there were still bars and clubs you could enter in IV, so it was not that bad. Plus, TBOGT's nightclubs made up for that, because it's still a part of IV. 

@ iDred

Sometimes it felt that way to me. 

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

People complain that IV's missions were too boring and plain and then they complain that V is over the top. It seems that R just can't do right in some people's eyes. If you ask most Saints Row fans they probably think V is still too plain and low key so it is all a matter of perspective. 

The Trevor missions you did for that celebrity stalker couple were some of the funnest in the game. The only Strangers and Freaks I didn't like was Tonya and that is because I found her to be annoying as hell and I was doing somebody's shift that couldn't bother to show up for work.

• SmoothGetaway likes this

Acetaminophen
  • Acetaminophen

I'm on Decadence and Demerol

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

I hope we get a Hardcore mode in the future that has no check points, no powers (but your armor fills the rest of the bar), you lose your weapons when you get arrested and lose your ammo when you get killed and your health doesn't regenerate so you have to find a health pack/eat/sleep and no quick saves. That would make it awesome for me it was way to easy which made it feel so short.  

• SmoothGetaway and matajuegos01 like this

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

^^

Yeah I was really against health regen when it was revealed and now feel that the game is too easy.

I'd love a hardcore mode like what we got in RDR.

lol232
  • lol232

Got room for one more?

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

I have to agree, also, I'm pretty sure it was 69 on purpose because... You know :lol:

It was kinda more than that, let's say 80-ish with all heist approaches, optional missions, and heist setups, and all three endings.

Also, let's not forget the 'Strangers and Freaks' missions - there were ~50 of them, and the "random" events, there were 57 of them, that's actually great, so if we count everything, it turns out that we have nearly 200 missions.

The only heist with the Option A being almost exactly the same as Option B is the Jewel Store job, but that's not a problem.

• John Smith, Geralt of Rivia and ten-a-penny like this

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

I have to agree, also, I'm pretty sure it was 69 on purpose because... You know :lol:

It was kinda more than that, let's say 80-ish with all heist approaches, optional missions, and heist setups, and all three endings.

Also, let's not forget the 'Strangers and Freaks' missions - there were ~50 of them, and the "random" events, there were 57 of them, that's actually great, so if we count everything, it turns out that we have nearly 200 missions.

The only heist with the Option A being almost exactly the same as Option B is the Jewel Store job, but that's not a problem.

So just for a sexual joke they added only 69? That's f*cking stupid

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

Excellent comment  :^:

So you're new to R*'s humour then?

• lol232 and ten-a-penny like this

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:22 AM

Excellent comment  :^:

So you're new to R*'s humour then?

you're giving a lame excuse too? ffs

btw:no

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:21 AM Edited by Drunken Cowboy, 11 January 2014 - 07:23 AM.

Stop whining? We're whining?

Yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-

Pay $60 for a pre-order, promised "the greatest game EVER" after five years from a franchise that has never failed to deliver,

End up playing bitch to the cops, doing yoga, and buying masks as full "story" missions... 

Welcome to Call of Auto, where the single player campaign is over-hyped, rushed, hackneyed sh*t and the multiplayer is DLC-loaded and full of hacking 12-year-olds.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

Pay $60 for a pre-order, promised "the greatest game EVER" after five years from a franchise that has never failed to deliver,

End up playing bitch to the cops, doing yoga, and buying masks as full "story" missions... 

Welcome to Call of Auto, where the single player campaign is over-hyped, rushed, hackneyed sh*t and the multiplayer is DLC-loaded and full of hacking 12-year-olds.

Please, enlighten me. Who promised GTA V would be the greatest game ever? 

• ten-a-penny likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

Rockstar, trailers, fan hypedom, game companies, all are my fault for being gullible, but the REVIEWERS!

These god damn reviewers, tossing out tens like crazy! I don't know, were they convincing themselves they had to give the game a high score just because of the media attention and anticipation?

Same thing happens to all the CoD releases, high numbers like crazy. 

Look at any review of V, you never really hear any praise of the story or characters, just the visuals (which are pretty nice, but I still can't see how everyone was blown out of the water by them) and the updated physics. (Good compared to IV, but still could use tweaking.)

• TheOtherRyan and hyai like this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

Rockstar, trailers, fan hypedom, game companies, all are my fault for being gullible, but the REVIEWERS!

These god damn reviewers, tossing out tens like crazy! I don't know, were they convincing themselves they had to give the game a high score just because of the media attention and anticipation?

Look at any review of V, you never really hear any praise of the story or characters, just the visuals (which are pretty nice, but I still can't see how everyone was blown out of the water by them) and the updated physics. (Good compared to IV, but still could use tweaking.)

Fans - Sometimes

Game companies - Sometimes

Rockstar + Trailers - No. Rockstar never implied that GTA V would be the greatest game ever. Rockstar =/= Video game reviewers and fans

• lol232 and ten-a-penny like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

Fans - Sometimes

Game companies - Sometimes

Rockstar + Trailers - No. Rockstar never implied that GTA V would be the greatest game ever. Rockstar =/= Video game reviewers and fans

I did admit to my gullibility with those, I think the reviewers are the most responsible for misconception, both here and in general.

Von_Von
  • Von_Von

Vercetti lives!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

69 missions, but the size of the missions is huge. In GTA4 missions take a lot less time, even if we get lost in the city. In GTa4 if we dont look all the time to the map, the streets are very similar, and we lost more time than we should, in GTA5 I got lost 2 or 3 times.

• ten-a-penny likes this

carmelo3
  • carmelo3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

OP is like the super chief commanding officer of the RDF.

69 missions, 10 or so of which are buying masks, boiler suits, placing getaway cars and stuff.

Longevity should also be achieved through the length of the campaign, not just multiple play throughs. And tbh I always get put off from playing the campaign multiple times because of how short it is, I've played through it twice since sept 17 and on my second play through I was done in a matter of days. If I wanna play through missions again or start them from a different perspective i just do it from the pause menu.

End of the day, the story is short.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

It's really difficult to discourage GTA V's visuals. It's quite frankly jaw droppinly beautiful. R* out done themselves in that regard.

The physics are 50/50 to me. There are clear improvements to GTA IV, but at times it feels Saints Row-ish.

Anyway since this thread is concerning missions I can't disagree GTA V's mission variety is better than GTA IV, but it's a shame there had to be less missions to accommodate it.

That's what annoys people. If SA could obtain mission variety with over 100 missions GTA V could've too.
  • ten-a-penny likes this

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

كساااد

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

reviewers are bullsh1t my friend.

Savage Skies got around 4.6 (or around that) which that means its a horrible game. is it? HELL NO.

one of the funniest PS2 video game.

same with The Legend Of Spyro: dawn Of The Dragon. I only can't remember how much it got.

also,Biker Mice From Mars got 3.9 or something......excuse me? you're talking about the best BMFM games. WHAT'S THE BAD THING IN IT?

TL;DR never trust reviewers.

Geeteeaifive
  • Geeteeaifive

Andrew

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:30 PM Edited by Geeteeaifive, 12 January 2014 - 09:33 PM.

*There's a "tl;dr" segment at the bottom of this post for anyone who lacks the capacity to read*

So I was just skimming through the thread regarding R*'s focus on MP, and couldn't help observing the amount of times "only 69 missions - SP sucks" type of comments were brought up.

Now first of all: I couldn't give three flying donkey c*nts about the MP aspect of GTA; as far as I'm concerned, the "online iz da fyoocher" generation of kids can go suffocate on a tampon, but let's address those who keep whinging about V's campaign being "too short".

Having completed the game first time round, I too was part of the "short game" brigade. After SA's + IV's lengthy campaigns, I thought 69 missions was a little under par. But on my 2nd play-through, I was then able to appreciate and understand where all that "missing" stuff had gone.

Choosing different heist options makes it feel like you're playing a new game. Not only do you get new cutscenes, but you've got a whole new gameplay experience. Now I'm sure most of you knew about this, but what I'm willing to bet my left bollock on you not knowing, is that there are some missions (not heists) where the task at hand will depend on which protag you use to approach the mission blip with.

*Spoiler Alert*

For example: The mission where you return to North Yankton: If you approach the blip as Michael, you race to LS airport before boarding a plane to NY, and driving to the graveyard to meet Trevor.

However, if you approach the blip as Trevor, you race to his desert airfield, before piloting a plane yourself out of San Andreas and then awaiting Michael's arrival at the NY graveyard.

These are the details that whinging brigade are too f*cking lazy and spoiled to acknowledge. Instead, they beat the game once, then bombard this forum with complaints about R* being too lazy etc. Yes, I too couldn't care less about MP, but stop trying to claim R* made a lacklustre SP game.

tl;dr: Stop f*cking whining, and learn to appreciate what you've got.

All this and to mention a few, MINI GAMES, the game is full of them, and even when you're done with the main story, theres bunch of side missions and activities to keep you in it for another lenghty 50 hours, then u can replay it all and experience a whole new game in essence, my first play through will be like this, always choose the first option, so when i play it then ext time, ill always choose the 2nd option or third, whatever layout it is... sure it's a bit linear but i want to get the most of it and not miss a thing. Then sit there for 5 mins wonering whether i did the mission with michael or trevor or franklin.. will help to avoi that.

• ten-a-penny likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users