Photo

Only 69 Missions You Say?

141 replies to this topic
TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:19 PM Edited by whatsstrength, 04 January 2014 - 11:22 PM.

I've been contemplating another playthrough lately and you may have just inspired me to give it a shot. I just hope it doesn't feel stale because I've already replayed all the missions for gold medals.

Looking back, the game still has more missions than Vice City and III depending on what you count as a mission.

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

the heist were bland for me. The answer/choice was picked out for you like every time lol. The only thing that was left up to you most of the time was the crew choice. I remember the first heist lester said something along hte lines of "you wanna play this smart, or go in dumb" and if you choose smart he says "i see you have wisened in your older years". Which is a dead giveaway that is the "canon" option lol. I was left disappointed by the heists, story mode was fun for the few weeks i played it though. 

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

69 Great missions

Toshio_maxoS
  • Toshio_maxoS

Heisenberg's pal™

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

I completly agree!
It's not about the amount, it's about the variety in my opinion.

I didn't feeled that "variety"... GTA V was my only Ps3 game but I'm so happy to get Skyrim now,

it's ways better imp

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:09 AM Edited by zielarz119, 05 January 2014 - 12:09 AM.

some people like more decisions with short story and other people like longer story even if it means linear

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

the heist were bland for me. The answer/choice was picked out for you like every time lol. The only thing that was left up to you most of the time was the crew choice. I remember the first heist lester said something along hte lines of "you wanna play this smart, or go in dumb" and if you choose smart he says "i see you have wisened in your older years". Which is a dead giveaway that is the "canon" option lol. I was left disappointed by the heists, story mode was fun for the few weeks i played it though. 

Wouldn't that be the giveaway that the "Dumb" option is the "canon" one? That line implies that Michael always chooses the less-subtle option.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:17 AM

^^ I thought the same.

Lester's reaction to choosing obvious for the Big One is similar and also indicates M's 'dumb' approach to robbery.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

so what? They had five years to make GTA V( in comparison to Vice City )

I still think its too short especially with some of the sh*tty heist prep missions also counted in

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:33 AM

@Gtarules:95

The story ins't weak, it's the people who dind't understand it who are weak.

And the game weights around 18 GB, Vice City weights about 500mb.

So in all honesty the 5 years were well deserved.

Bertanius
  • Bertanius

Classic car fan

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

Maybe because Vice City came out over a decade ago? It's over 1.5 GB anyway, I don't know where you got 500 MB. You can't compare file sizes for a game that came out over 11 years ago to a game that came out last year.

The story is weak, there are clear signs that they rushed it, lots of it makes no sense, the characters are weak too, they're easily forgettable, maybe many can't understand the story because the story itself doesn't make any sense. Don't say I found the story bad because I didn't understand it, I understood it fine, it was the story that didn't understand itself, but opinions aren't allowed here, I either have to praise the game, or leave.

Why does buying three masks count as a full "action-packed" mission? Michael Bay himself must have jumped from his chair from all that action, just like how parking a car, or taking a car, counted as a full mission, it's just a cheap way to increase the mission number. Maybe we would have gotten something half-decent if they spent all of the development time on single player...

Oh, I've seen you around here, you praise GTA V like it's the best game ever, and aggressively yell at those who even give the slightest bit of criticism, but apparently it's perfectly fine for you to rant on about how bad GTA IV is. So I'm expecting some angry response from you, because I criticised your "perfect" game.

• diesel47, TheOtherRyan, 2281 and 2 others like this

icemagi
  • icemagi

Professional Badass

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

Oh I see now. I totally forgot about the different choices in this game, I feel a bit stupid for not seeing this in the first place. This is actually pretty genius on Rockstars part. Hopefully others will see this too and stop complaining. Thanks OP

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:55 AM

@Bert

To be honest you're a sad example of a person.

I played GTA VC on PC so I knew how big the file was. and it does matter because of all the content each has.

I do understand some people have legitimate complaints about the game but then it comes to the ones who put almost every single detail under a microscope and do nothing to help it nor think about the actual situation and why it might not of had been there or be fully explained.

Some preparation missions were good but taking for example the mask mission is being somewhat mainstream and judgemental to the point where you follow others in that example. All GTAs had really short missions or missions that were overall dull. This ins't the exception.

And to be honest im quite dissapointed by the praise IV gets, it really says that gaming came to the point where if it has good gameplay but a bad story its discarted as the worst game ever. Just look at Mafia 2, it is a great game and the story was believable. It had a lot of immersion and the gameplay was good for it's time, but it was locked into being a linear game and I wished they would of had added a freeroam option, but they didn't which dissapointed me a helluva lot.

IV was great for it's time but there were things that wish it could of had been made better or atleast a little bit bigger with a little bit more of variety in certain things (A feroci in Airport livery? Seriously?, Two tiers of weapons, only a cheap combat knife and an aluminium bat).

Every GTA is good on its own, GTA V is my favourite but it's not I RE-f*ckING PEAT SO YOU DO NOT PUT sh*t IN MY MOUTH: It's not perfect, no game is perfect they're good and average but not perfect, there are some horrible ones too but you can get blinded by nostalgia and say that they were good..

• Captain Arthur and icemagi like this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

Maybe because Vice City came out over a decade ago? It's over 1.5 GB anyway, I don't know where you got 500 MB. You can't compare file sizes for a game that came out over 11 years ago to a game that came out last year.

The story is weak, there are clear signs that they rushed it, lots of it makes no sense, the characters are weak too, they're easily forgettable, maybe many can't understand the story because the story itself doesn't make any sense. Don't say I found the story bad because I didn't understand it, I understood it fine, it was the story that didn't understand itself, but opinions aren't allowed here, I either have to praise the game, or leave.

Why does buying three masks count as a full "action-packed" mission? Michael Bay himself must have jumped from his chair from all that action, just like how parking a car, or taking a car, counted as a full mission, it's just a cheap way to increase the mission number. Maybe we would have gotten something half-decent if they spent all of the development time on single player...

Oh, I've seen you around here, you praise GTA V like it's the best game ever, and aggressively yell at those who even give the slightest bit of criticism, but apparently it's perfectly fine for you to rant on about how bad GTA IV is. So I'm expecting some angry response from you, because I criticised your "perfect" game.

Agreed.

On my first save I couldn't believe placing a getaway vehicle in a secluded location was counted as a full mission. As you say it's a cheap way of increasing the mission count.

Don't get me wrong GTA V has a lot of great and fun missions, but I would still rather have a length similar to GTA IV's. What I loved about GTA IV is at no point did I feel like the story was going too quick.

The problem with GTA V for me is it's too inconsisent. Some missions last a good 30 minutes and others such as these heist prep tasks only last a minute of so. GTA IV had a good progression I thought without jumping back and forth between lenghty action packed missions and brief, minor ones too often.

R* could've had as many missions as GTA IV and still retained variety aswell.

And to be honest im quite dissapointed by the praise IV gets

What praise? Apart from hardcore GTA IV fans such as myself GTA IV has always been treated like it's the antichrist of videogaming from kids who desperately need planes and countryside to have any sort of fun in a GTA game.

• 2281 likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:17 AM

Agreed.

On my first save I couldn't believe placing a getaway vehicle in a secluded location was counted as a full mission. As you say it's a cheap way of increasing the mission count.

Don't get me wrong GTA V has a lot of great and fun missions, but I would still rather have a length similar to GTA IV's. What I loved about GTA IV is at no point did I feel like the story was going too quick.

The problem with GTA V for me is it's too inconsisent. Some missions last a good 30 minutes and others such as these heist prep tasks only last a minute of so. GTA IV had a good progression I thought without jumping back and forth between lenghty action packed missions and brief, minor ones too often.

I would hate a story as long as IV's. If it's too long, it gets repetitive. That's what happened with IV. The only problem V had was making the heist setup missions part of the 69. Still, aside from that, every mission was basically different and was fun. Plus, the actual missions that weren't heist preparations about equals out to RDR's size, which no one has a problem with. I don't get that part.

RDR and GTA 5 have about the same number of missions, but GTA 5 gets hate while RDR gets praise.

Bert: The story makes perfect sense. Was it weak at points? Yes. However, if you couldn't follow it, I don't know what to tell you. I never felt lost. I always knew what was going on.

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:36 AM

Best thread IN THE WORLD

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:42 AM

Agreed.

I would hate a story as long as IV's. If it's too long, it gets repetitive. That's what happened with IV. The only problem V had was making the heist setup missions part of the 69. Still, aside from that, every mission was basically different and was fun. Plus, the actual missions that weren't heist preparations about equals out to RDR's size, which no one has a problem with. I don't get that part.

RDR and GTA 5 have about the same number of missions, but GTA 5 gets hate while RDR gets praise.

Bert: The story makes perfect sense. Was it weak at points? Yes. However, if you couldn't follow it, I don't know what to tell you. I never felt lost. I always knew what was going on.

Well I liked the length of GTA IV's story. It always had me guessing and wanting to see what would happen next. Were some of the missions dull? Yes, but people don't give enough credit to some of the more epic missions like Museum Piece, Late Checkout, Truck Hustle, The Snow Storm, Blow Your Cover etc. Not all of the missions were repetitive. At least to me they weren't. .

I guess I just prefer the slow pacing, more cold and calculating nature of GTA IV's missions than GTA V's over the top Michael Bay-ish approach which for some reason makes the story feel shorter and ending more abruptly instead of feeling fleshed out like in GTA IV.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:45 AM

What some of you seem to forget is that V also has plenty of stranger and freak side missions. And these weren't just "Drive from A to B, kill C" These could of counted as actual story missions. And there's about 30 in total. So that adds up to about the same amount of missions SA had. Missions don't have to be a part of the story to count as missions.

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:50 AM

Guys, look, THIS IS GTA V. R* themselfs said this game brings a whole new generation to the GTA Series. It has a Luxury Storyline, unlike the Dirty and Rotten storyline like GTA IV and GTA III had, it wasn't a super sunny and night club Mafia power theme like GTA Vice City, It was a Luxury Bank Robbing Money Making Almighty Dollar Theme to the storyline. So it did not need a whole lot of missions. Not just that, but the missions are long. 16, 20 minutes. And actually, its like 75 not 69, because that does not count the Main Storyline Side missions... 

I'll be your sinner in secret.

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:54 AM Edited by 2281, 05 January 2014 - 02:54 AM.

And actually, its like 75 not 69, because that does not count the Main Storyline Side missions... 

"It's like" but it's really not. I don't know what you're counting but the 69 missions include Lester's Assassinations (the only "main storyline missions" I can think of ATM).

• TheOtherRyan likes this

Pooyan Cyrus
  • Pooyan Cyrus

Drake stole my notebook :(

• Members
  • Mars
  • Helpfulness Award [Concepts]
    Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:00 AM

Having 69 action-packed missions is better than having lots of boring missions.

Because stealing a fire truck and purchasing masks was so action packed and rewarding.

Those objectives are still way better than playing bowling and drinking.
  • Captain Arthur and icemagi like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:04 AM

@SonOfLiberty

Planes and Countryside were going to be in IV, just sayin'.

But I feel like everyone in the game is so superficial about everything, like if really needed to know that everyone is doing X. And missions are poorly done, most of the time it's just go to X, *Emotional Cutscene triggers* kill X amount of Y then return to point X.

And I did really feel some of the interiors just served as shooting galleries rather than having any actual porpuse in the real game and I wished they would, plus some Gameplay mechanics like the shooting were rather clunky and there would be bullet spread even if you just at someone once. No matter what happened it all felt unnatural. You shot someone in a chair and their body would wobble to the ground like if something forced it to do that.

Niko was literally being bossed around by everyone in the game, except Michelle. In the first mission you're forced to drive even if you just got into the city! (That didn't really make sense)

After the end of the game there was almost nothing to do apart from the all mighty vigilante, and even that one was boring because it server as an excuse for a poorly done car chase or a generic shootout between you and the retarded AI.

Jesus the AI even took cover if somebody was about to punch them and they were nearby!

Sorry for the rant, had to do it. Anyways, GTA IV was good, but for it's time. Nowdays it would of had been massacred as hell.

I'll be your sinner in secret.

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:12 AM Edited by 2281, 05 January 2014 - 03:12 AM.

Because stealing a fire truck and purchasing masks was so action packed and rewarding.

Hop off the "bowling with Roman sucks" bandwagon for a minute and tell me, did bowling really truly frustrate you the first time you tried it in IV? 

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:15 AM

Hop off the "bowling with Roman sucks" bandwagon for a minute and tell me, did bowling really truly frustrate you the first time you tried it in IV?

The same could go for the yoga bandwagon.
Because let's be honest, is bowling really that much better than yoga?

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:21 AM

Much better i found Bowling quite Fun and quite Challenging  i would say i have Played maybe around 30 games of bowling in IV yogo on the otherhand i have done 0 times and i have no Urge to Ever.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:25 AM

Honestly? Yes. At least with bowling you can compete against an opponent and IMO it's actually mildy fun. In 1 of the saves I had over 2 hours of playing time with bowling. I think I've only tried Yoga 3 times outside of the mission since I got GTA V.

Bowling may not be to everyones' liking, but it's better, alot better than Yoga infact.

Niko was literally being bossed around by everyone in the game, except Michelle. In the first mission you're forced to drive even if you just got into the city! (That didn't really make sense)

Why doesn't this make sense? It happens with almost every GTA. We're forced to drive or in SA's case ride just moments after entering the city.

As for being bossed around onece again this exists in every GTA to some degree and GTA V is no exception.

I'd say it made more sense for Niko as he was a foreigner and the only way to get what he wanted (in this case finding out who betrayed him) was to do the dirty work  for LC's established criminal figures. He didn't have any overriding power or significant criminal influence so he was bottom of the ladder rung.

icemagi
  • icemagi

Professional Badass

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:31 AM Edited by sakurablossom, 05 January 2014 - 03:31 AM.

@The Odyssey

I prefer yoga over bowling any day though

I've never liked any bowling related games though

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:31 AM

Honestly? Yes. At least with bowling you can compete against an opponent and IMO it's actually mildy fun. In 1 of the saves I had over 2 hours of playing time with bowling. I think I've only tried Yoga 3 times outside of the mission since I got GTA V.

Bowling may not be to everyones' liking, but it's better, alot better than Yoga infact.

I agree that it's better - but not by a long shot. In fact the mission dedicated to Yoga was much more entertaining than the mission deticated to bowling. And I'm not saying we should of went on some massive drug trip after bowling with your girlfriend, but they could of just shortened the game.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:39 AM

When we go bowling with Michelle the game is only for 5 sets. It doesn't take that long to do.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:40 AM

Bowling was fun to a certain degree, you were fighting against an oponent and you had to calculate it right. But most of the time you would go winning because of the AI's poor efforts at it.

It became boring due to the simple fact you would bothered every 5 in-game minutes by your favourite cousin to go do that specific activity, only that specific activity you have to do.

Sorry but one up for Yoga is the fact that Amanda doesn't hassle you every five minutes to do it. It's just there and it's pewtty optional.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:44 AM

It became boring due to the simple fact you would bothered every 5 in-game minutes by your favourite cousin to go do that specific activity, only that specific activity you have to do.

This isn't a fact. It's a commonly blown out of proportion exaggeration.

• Ermac and 2281 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users