Only 69 Missions You Say?

141 replies to this topic
John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

*There's a "tl;dr" segment at the bottom of this post for anyone who lacks the capacity to read*

So I was just skimming through the thread regarding R*'s focus on MP, and couldn't help observing the amount of times "only 69 missions - SP sucks" type of comments were brought up.

Now first of all: I couldn't give three flying donkey c*nts about the MP aspect of GTA; as far as I'm concerned, the "online iz da fyoocher" generation of kids can go suffocate on a tampon, but let's address those who keep whinging about V's campaign being "too short".

Having completed the game first time round, I too was part of the "short game" brigade. After SA's + IV's lengthy campaigns, I thought 69 missions was a little under par. But on my 2nd play-through, I was then able to appreciate and understand where all that "missing" stuff had gone.

Choosing different heist options makes it feel like you're playing a new game. Not only do you get new cutscenes, but you've got a whole new gameplay experience. Now I'm sure most of you knew about this, but what I'm willing to bet my left bollock on you not knowing, is that there are some missions (not heists) where the task at hand will depend on which protag you use to approach the mission blip with.

*Spoiler Alert*

For example: The mission where you return to North Yankton: If you approach the blip as Michael, you race to LS airport before boarding a plane to NY, and driving to the graveyard to meet Trevor.

However, if you approach the blip as Trevor, you race to his desert airfield, before piloting a plane yourself out of San Andreas and then awaiting Michael's arrival at the NY graveyard.

These are the details that whinging brigade are too f*cking lazy and spoiled to acknowledge. Instead, they beat the game once, then bombard this forum with complaints about R* being too lazy etc. Yes, I too couldn't care less about MP, but stop trying to claim R* made a lacklustre SP game.

tl;dr: Stop f*cking whining, and learn to appreciate what you've got.

• dyz, gangmug, GroundZero and 20 others like this

GTA-Freak-iX
  • GTA-Freak-iX

~

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

I agree, they might be only 69, but the variety and dialogue of some missions are different and need to be replayed.

Pfister Comet
  • Pfister Comet

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

I completly agree!
It's not about the amount, it's about the variety in my opinion.
  • John Smith and Bonnano like this

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Tech Knight

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

Well.. .they claim its only 69 but depending on the choices you make it actually ends up being 70+ Just look at the number of missions in the mission replay menu.

I think the only reason its says 69 in the stat screen is to hammer in the running 69 joke that Rockstar seems to put everywhere but somehow manage to miss the opportunity to call Highway 68 "Highway 69"

• TJGM likes this

iIiIiI00080
  • iIiIiI00080

Rock On

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

I too am on my second playthrough. It is definitely another experience entirely and you notice things that you didn't before. 

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None
  • Take-Two Analyst of the Year

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

I LOVE THIS THREAD :)

gear999
  • gear999

I need to change my picture

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

Was already thinking of doing a second playthrough.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

Well this game ain't a special case when it comes to the number of missions.

III had 51 storyline missions

VC had 38

LCS had 74

and

VCS had 54

So I can't really complaint about the number of missions because they're all greatly varied and rich in detail plus you get different outcomes playing as a different character in certain ones.

• John Smith, IveGotNoValues and ViceCityStalker like this

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

OP is 100% correct.

I played through once and just rolled with my choices. I played it again to do other options.

Started a third save to do it my way, aka the way I thought was best. In other words if the player blasted through the game, it's only their own fault.

I still have some complaints about the story (namely that F got shorted after T was introduced) but its still very worthy of multiple plays.
  • John Smith likes this

Pooyan Cyrus
  • Pooyan Cyrus

Drake stole my notebook :(

• Members
  • Mars
  • Helpfulness Award [Concepts]
    Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

Having 69 action-packed missions is better than having lots of boring missions.
  • StarFyer, John Smith and Bonnano like this

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

so by replaying the game with a different playstile justify the minor amount of missions compared to the quantity we had in IV? this one had potential, at least if they happened to add more missions they would'nt be as repetitive and boring as in GTA IV, so that doesn't justify jack sh*t.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

I too am on my second playthrough. It is definitely another experience entirely and you notice things that you didn't before. 

Precisely. This has been a trend in most of R*'s titles, but in V, they've gone all out when it comes to the little things - little things that bring an open-world game to life.

Do it. If you're anything like me, you'll find it an even better and longer lasting experience!

:^:

As much as I cherish IV (my favourite GTA prior to V), some of the missions got pretty tedious, and felt more exhausting than fun.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

As much as I cherish IV (my favourite GTA prior to V), some of the missions got pretty tedious, and felt more exhausting than fun.

Catch the Wave?

• stjimmy3 likes this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Precisely. This has been a trend in most of R*'s titles, but in V, they've gone all out when it comes to the little things - little things that bring an open-world game to life.

Do it. If you're anything like me, you'll find it an even better and longer lasting experience!

:^:

Especially the ones where you drive someone from A to B.

V has a good range of missions, and good replay value, so I have no problem with 69 ( ;) ) missions.

The only problem I have with the mission count is that heist preparation, such as stealing a truck, counts as a mission. The heist preparations should have been grouped together, like having all the preparations for one heist count as one mission, instead of each task being one mission. 

I liked the missions where Michael's family needed help from him, like when Jim got kidnapped by this pissed off celebrity.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

@Niko's Half brother

Don't forget about the optional missions the game has that you can acomplish for family members.

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

I think it partially depends on how we define "Missions". The "Strangers & Freaks" mission chains may be optional, but I see no reason why they shouldn't count as missions, even if they aren't counted among the "official" total. And what about the random events? Or the property management missions? There's still a lot to do in this game, even outside the main story.

On the other hand, when people say "the single player campaign is too short!" are they saying "There need to be more missions" or are they saying "Some aspects of the story were underdeveloped"? Because I think those are too separate problems.

• SmoothGetaway likes this

Fck 😂😂😂

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Because stealing a fire truck and purchasing masks was so action packed and rewarding.

Nathaaann
  • Nathaaann

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Vice City only had around 22 story missions and barely any side missions (excluding the Taxi, Paramedic, Fire, Vigilante, Racing and Phonebooth) missions that are on almost every GTA aswell. GTA V offered more sidemissions with some that had to be unlocked by purchasing assets, completing predecessor missions and are overall more time consuming.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

@AustinN

Yeah they are different problems. While I feel that the story is as long (if not longer) than any other GTA, the characters don't each get their respect that they're deserved.

Hopefully DLC will clear this up because right now there are a lot of loose ends that should be tied up.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

@2218

Yeah because going out to the bowling alley with your virtual girlfriend was so full-filling and exciting.

Because a whole mission based wether to kill that special someone was so action packed and entertaining.

[T]
  • [T]

The Sword Swingin' Surgeon

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

I agree with you that there are some mission variations that are cool, I really liked them. It gave good replay value and that's something I thought was really great. While these this is an innovative and a truly great feature, it doesn't really break even. It doesn't mend the short, shallow dud of a story we got. 69 missions for 3 characters (some of which were just heist prep missions that really didn't propel the story in any way) is barely enough to fully pan out one GTA character let alone three!

DrAtomic
  • DrAtomic

Volatile

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

I don't do second playthroughs as I guess many won't. As a result I'd rather have double the heists (heh they programmed them all twice right) and 40 or more missions.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:11 PM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 04 January 2014 - 09:14 PM.

@2218

Yeah because going out to the bowling alley with your virtual girlfriend was so full-filling and exciting.

Because a whole mission based wether to kill that special someone was so action packed and entertaining.

That Special  Someone > Any Mission in V a missions does not need to be action packed to be Fantastic. 

and as far as the Story Length goes who cares? look at this way red dead had like 57 main Story Missions San Andreas had over a 100 But i would Easily take The Great but Short Storyline in Red Dead Redemption  over the  Over Extended Cluster f*ck In San Andreas. 

• stjimmy3 likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:19 PM Edited by cp1dell, 04 January 2014 - 09:21 PM.

There aren't really 69 missions. The Heist Setup missions are counted towards that. Regardless, you're still left with around 55 missions or so. Somewhere near the same amount Red Dead Redemption had. On top of that, the missions are really different this time around so it doesn't get repetitive, and the dialogue is great.

You don't need to do a second playthrough, the first is good enough. It's not too long and it's not too short. You also still have Strangers and Freaks missions. Sure they're not part of the main story, but they have the same quality and fun gameplay as them.

I'm not a big fan of the multiplayer either, but it seems to me the people in that thread are just saying Single Player is too short just for the sake of having an argument to provide on why they hate Online - and it's a sh*tty one.

• ten-a-penny likes this

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

The game is short but deep. Multiple heist options with different crew members you hire that change the outcome of the mission. You can do a heist the same way but it will end up different depending on who you hired for the job. There's a huge array of story that changes depending on choices. That's what amazes me. I don't think I'll ever find all the combinations.

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

I loved GTA V's missions, and I'm happy with 69 of them plus all the strangers and freaks, property missions, and random events, but if it were my choice I'd rather have more unique missions rather than having multiple strategies to some missions. For every alternative option, you could have 1-3 more unique missions added, depending on setup missions. 

Nick Testbranch
  • Nick Testbranch

Offending Mimes Everywhere.

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

The 69 missions may sound weak at first, but playing all of them, I realized that the number is perfect for the number of unique missions: they're all unique. GTA IV was good, but a big problem was that it felt like some small pattern was going on: get in trouble, meet boss, kill boss' guy, then kill boss, then meet boss' boss and so on. With that pattern, it got rather repetitive and hindered the dark storytelling that I loved. With GTA V, the story isn't as dark, but it's very well written and the 69 missions were all very unique and fun to play. The checkpoints REALLY help too. I haven't played much MP though, and I thought it was okay. Needs some improvement, but I'd love to play more sometime soon when I get my disc back.

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Daily Globe
  • Serbia
  • Contribution Award [DYOM]

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

For me, in V it just felt like there needs to be more missions. In III and VC, i didn't have this problem. Still, there always should be mix between quality and quantity. I don't know, but it somehow felt wrong to me in V.

Ixnay
  • Ixnay

bizarro starter kit

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

So you get to "approach" missions differently, but aren't they pretty much the same missions? Or are the completely different?

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

So you get to "approach" missions differently, but aren't they pretty much the same missions? Or are the completely different?

That depends on the missions. The non-heist missions might have slightly different scenarios depending on who you choose, but they still play out the same way. The exception is that you get a choice of three different ending missions.

As for the heist missions, the Jewel Store job only changes slightly based on your approach. But three of the heists do play out completely differently depending on which option you choose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users