Photo

Recycle the usernames?

15 replies to this topic
Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:36 PM Edited by Dr. John13, 04 January 2014 - 12:49 PM.

There are like thousands of old members who had cool usernames but are banned now. Won't it be nice if the new members or the regular ones get a chance to use those usernames again?

We can't access the accounts of the banned members so this won't interfere with the member profile either. Some people would love to have an interesting username. But those oldies from the 2001 have taken up most of the cool usernames. Some members (not the banned ones) just make an acount with a nice username but never post at all. It pisses me off as to why they do that.

I would love to remove the '13' number from my name but some bastard already has that kind of username (Dr. John). Now, I couldn't locate him via search engine so my bet is that he's banned.

If this kind of feature is possible via the IP.boards itself then I would love if this can come in action.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

Thing is, a lot of those members still browse the forums, they just never post. Not all of them but a good number do I'm sure. Plus imagine the work it would take to go to each individual account and to see when they were last active and just ban, ban, ban, ban. Talking a lot of work.

This issue has been brought up before and in some cases, some accounts were removed so that the member could create the name. But it all depends on the Admins/Mods to make the call.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username™

• Members
  • India

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:47 PM Edited by AceKingston, 04 January 2014 - 12:49 PM.

Well the mods can change the name of an inactive person though. Because the change only changes the display name, so if there is the unlikely off-chance that they come back, they can log in to their account because you can't use your new name to log-in.

Still I can't see why a 10 year old member who has never posted return to the forums, he/she would have probably forgot their password by now.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

Thing is, a lot of those members still browse the forums, they just never post. Not all of them but a good number do I'm sure. Plus imagine the work it would take to go to each individual account and to see when they were last active and just ban, ban, ban, ban. Talking a lot of work.

This issue has been brought up before and in some cases, some accounts were removed so that the member could create the name. But it all depends on the Admins/Mods to make the call.

OK, let's leave the unbanned members but what about the banned one? Is it really necessary to delete their accounts just to reuse the username? Can't we just make the username available once the account of the respective member is permanent banned? It is just like a punishment for them if you ask me.

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

OK, let's leave the unbanned members but what about the banned one? Is it really necessary to delete their accounts just to reuse the username? Can't we just make the username available once the account of the respective member is permanent banned? It is just like a punishment for them if you ask me.

I don't think that would be possible as to make the username available, we would need to delete the banned accounts, and if we did that, there would be no paper trail in the event of re-registrations by people who have been banned previously.

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

Enjoy.

• GTAKid667, Dr. John, Andreas and 3 others like this

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

Thanks a lot uNi. :D

It looks like this topic turned into a selfish request. But I will still be glad if that feature could come alive. Sure you guys won't be doing requests for all members now, will you?

RedBull FM
  • RedBull FM

#BUCKLEUPBABY

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

But those oldies from the 2001 have taken up most of the cool usernames.

Although I am a New member and don't know much around here.

How old is GTAF?

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:47 PM Edited by GTAKid667, 04 January 2014 - 01:47 PM.

How old is GTAF?

Site was founded in April 2001 and relaunched 8th November 2001 after a crash causing information loss etc.

Take a look here, this should help you with GTAF history: http://gtaforums.com...s-of-gtaforums/

:^:

• Ciaran and RedBull FM like this

RedBull FM
  • RedBull FM

#BUCKLEUPBABY

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

How old is GTAF?

Site was founded in April 2001 and relaunched 8th November 2001 after a crash causing information loss etc.

Take a look here, this should help you with GTAF history: http://gtaforums.com...s-of-gtaforums/

:^:

Legend. Thanks bro ;)

• GTAKid667 likes this

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:34 PM Edited by Kalvin, 04 January 2014 - 03:55 PM.

I've always wanted my username to be "Kalvin", but some guy just had to take it two years ago and never use it again *grumble*

EDIT: I now love you uNi, thank you <3

• uNi and Dr. John like this

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

Something odd happened to your name, eh? ;)

Empty World
  • Empty World

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Mars

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Can I change my username back to Pr00f. I really regret changing it to "Empty World".

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:36 AM

Can I change my username back to Pr00f. I really regret changing it to "Empty World".

One thing is Kalvin wanting it before, other thing is you regretting a change after the feature was implemented. Probably won't happen.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Australia

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:21 AM

I'm auctioning off my old Miamivicecity username. Bidding starts at $100,000.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username™

• Members
  • India

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:39 AM

I'm auctioning off my old Miamivicecity username. Bidding starts at $100,000.

I'm giving $100,000 + a free room-size poster of Niko Bellic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users