About Kids Playing This Game

442 replies to this topic
gear999
  • gear999

Big Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

"Mommy, can i join the Army? I wanna show those communists my hella awesome 360 no scope trickshot."

Amazing post :lol:
Made me laugh.
  • Jeff Nesteruk likes this

TywinLannister
  • TywinLannister

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

This thread made me sign up for this forum, so HELLO  :lol:

English is not my native language, so please exuse my spelling errors :-)

This is an interesting question.

When I grew up, late 70s early 80s, we had no videogames at all. So how did we play? 
What me and my friends did was to buy a lot of ttoy guns. Then we spent hours after hours in the woods, shooting eachother. We used our BMX bikes as MCs, and rode around yelling BANG BANG!

I often hid in the bushes and tried to jam the frontwheel of the other guys with a long stick. If memory serves me I got quite good at that I remember. I dont remember the concussions however, but my parents have told me that I got quite a few. I do remember the trips to the hospitals with nasty guts and even a few fractions. 
We also played with GI Joe toys and Heman toys. Killing was allways part of the game. When my father grew up WWII had just ended, and he used to play Germans vs Good guys with his friends. 
My point is - kids play war! When I was young we had one thing to play with - the Outside. Nowadays kids play Online, inside! But the games are quite the same.

When I was 13 I watched Gremlins for the first time. That movie gave my mother a whole of extra cleaing to do, since she had to change my bed more than once! My kids saw it at age 9, and asked me: Really, dad? You got scared of THAT?

I let my kid (10 y.o) play GTA V and O. He loves the cars and shooting players. Often he is quite upset since he gets killed more than he kills. 
I dont feel any danger in letting him play. The danger is if you dont talk with your kids during playing. My kid asked me why he had to shoot the police? They are just like the bandits in Skyrim, he tells me. I told him that this game is made that way. People make games where they can act differently then they do in society. Our family often play D&D and I told him GTA is almost a RPG in sence that it is makebelive and a game!

He hates homeworks, but last week we wrote 2.5 pages about a mission in GTA V - A Titan of a job. He wrote in english and got good comments from the teacher. Gaming help kids evolve their language skills.

So... Will playing these sort of games make him a terrorist or less empathic than not? Yes - IF he is predisposed for such. If not - NO! He was being playing FIFA for years, and still was the worst player on his team, and recently he quit all together.

Partents have to talk with their childeren. Talk about everything. Bad stuff happens IRL, also! If you put your kid infront of the TV he might stumble across a News channel. He might see children dying or dead bodies. That is far worse. Kids, many kids at least, know the difference between IRL and games.

Also: I've played a few times, and sometimes players think I am him. I am happy with how nice they treat me/him. They include him in a mature manner. My kid have few friends, since we moved last year. He claims som GTA players as his best friend, because they let him in their car and that gives him RP. 

Well.. That was my post.

• Jeff Nesteruk likes this

Scooter8299
  • Scooter8299

Like a Sir

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

Well, I'm an underage player (nearing 15) but I see myself as a mature player. It's a shame that all underaged players are stereotyped the way they are, but after running into a few in online lobbies the stereotypes make sense. Also I laugh at incompetent pillocks like Jack Thompson who think young teens like me will become psychotic murderers by playing this game...

gtaocicat
  • gtaocicat

Underboss of The S1CKMAD3 Mafia

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

When I grew up, late 70s early 80s, we had no videogames at all. So how did we play? 
What me and my friends did was to buy a lot of ttoy guns. Then we spent hours after hours in the woods, shooting eachother. We used our BMX bikes as MCs, and rode around yelling BANG BANG!

I often hid in the bushes and tried to jam the frontwheel of the other guys with a long stick. If memory serves me I got quite good at that I remember. I dont remember the concussions however, but my parents have told me that I got quite a few. I do remember the trips to the hospitals with nasty guts and even a few fractions. 
We also played with GI Joe toys and Heman toys. Killing was allways part of the game. When my father grew up WWII had just ended, and he used to play Germans vs Good guys with his friends. 
My point is - kids play war! When I was young we had one thing to play with - the Outside. Nowadays kids play Online, inside! But the games are quite the same.

When I was 13 I watched Gremlins for the first time. That movie gave my mother a whole of extra cleaing to do, since she had to change my bed more than once! My kids saw it at age 9, and asked me: Really, dad? You got scared of THAT?

I let my kid (10 y.o) play GTA V and O. He loves the cars and shooting players. Often he is quite upset since he gets killed more than he kills. 
I dont feel any danger in letting him play. The danger is if you dont talk with your kids during playing. My kid asked me why he had to shoot the police? They are just like the bandits in Skyrim, he tells me. I told him that this game is made that way. People make games where they can act differently then they do in society. Our family often play D&D and I told him GTA is almost a RPG in sence that it is makebelive and a game!

He hates homeworks, but last week we wrote 2.5 pages about a mission in GTA V - A Titan of a job. He wrote in english and got good comments from the teacher. Gaming help kids evolve their language skills.

So... Will playing these sort of games make him a terrorist or less empathic than not? Yes - IF he is predisposed for such. If not - NO! He was being playing FIFA for years, and still was the worst player on his team, and recently he quit all together.

Partents have to talk with their childeren. Talk about everything. Bad stuff happens IRL, also! If you put your kid infront of the TV he might stumble across a News channel. He might see children dying or dead bodies. That is far worse. Kids, many kids at least, know the difference between IRL and games.

Also: I've played a few times, and sometimes players think I am him. I am happy with how nice they treat me/him. They include him in a mature manner. My kid have few friends, since we moved last year. He claims som GTA players as his best friend, because they let him in their car and that gives him RP. 

Well.. That was my post.

sorry but a 10 year old shouldnt be playing that kind of game

• PaulDPearl likes this

SkyrimJarl
  • SkyrimJarl

Anime Watcher

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

Well.. That was my post.

Well.. That was my post.

How old are you then?

PaulDPearl
  • PaulDPearl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:48 AM Edited by PaulDPearl, 10 January 2014 - 12:49 AM.

Well.. That was my post.

seriously... Trevor's balls are hanging out... enough said...

trevorsjunk.jpg

P.S. - this photo proves Trevor is, in fact, Canadian...

gtaocicat
  • gtaocicat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

Well.. That was my post.

trevorsjunk.jpg

dude wtf were you doing taking that kind of pic?!?!

PaulDPearl
  • PaulDPearl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

Well.. That was my post.

trevorsjunk.jpg

dude wtf were you doing taking that kind of pic?!?!

I use this as my dating profile picture...

Seanw6490
  • Seanw6490

Good day, Sir.

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:28 AM

i grew up in the 90's and i was about 10 when i played my first gta game on the playstation (GTA2). i played the game knowing it was a game, the game and real life diidnt merge together as one making me murder and steal, i lived a normal life like a normal kid(having said that though, that was gta 2 where a pool of blood was about 5 pixels and there was no getting lapdances from topless women or watching people snort coke). i had fun being the 'bad guy' and i can see how kids have fun being the 'bad guy' in gta v, but the reason its fun is because it in game, its not fun in real life and people know its wrong in real life and not fun. if there is anyone who thinks it is fun in real life then there was something wrong before they started playing gta v

• MilezDawg likes this

gtaocicat
  • gtaocicat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

i still dont think a 10 year old should be playing that game

Seanw6490
  • Seanw6490

Good day, Sir.

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

i still dont think a 10 year old should be playing that game

no, neither do i, the graphics and gameplay today are too life like. could of got away with it 15-25 years ago but not today.

• Malibu454 and HonestOG556 like this

Koronin737
  • Koronin737

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:17 AM

Average 10 year old that really understands right/wrong and satire in an adult world? I don't think so. Have em try mgs/halo/cod if they have to shoot.
  • HonestOG556 likes this

Xavierr
  • Xavierr

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:01 AM

I don't have problems with younger teens playing as long they're cool.

purposely catching someone from behind during a race - not cool!

killing a random player who's trying to deposit their money - not cool!

Anyone who doesn't do either of these things I'm cool with.

RawGo0n
  • RawGo0n

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:07 AM

The only thing I don't like is squeakers basically kids your age with mics. 

SkyrimJarl
  • SkyrimJarl

Anime Watcher

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

bump

SkyrimJarl
  • SkyrimJarl

Anime Watcher

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

bump

ll Noble 6 ll
  • ll Noble 6 ll

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:12 AM Edited by ll Noble 6 ll, 28 January 2014 - 01:09 AM.

I have had all sorts of issues with people of all age groups.  It is usually the folks just old enough to play the game who get on a power trip and start talking smack or griefing people.  Kids typically want to gang up with other kids and when you run into them, it's a simple thing to switch lobbies.

And, on a side note, my son hears more about traumatic violence on the news and Cops than he sees in the online version of GTAO.  THAT's real.  GTAO is a game. To him, it's one giant shooting movie that I get to participate in.  Comments about the language always get a (truthfully, well-deserved) rebuke that he doesn't use those words, knows they are bad words, and that he understands that everyone in the game is a bad guy and likely deserves what they get.  His favorite missions?  Survival.  Why?  Lots of shooting.  This is a kid who loves Halo because his father shows up at science fiction conventions dressed as the Master Chief, after all.

Oh, and if you don't like what people are saying...  MUTE THEM.

And, just in case anyone asks...

561070_400266680021500_1907997684_n.jpg

• MilezDawg likes this

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

Cool Suit.. :cool:

RDT33
  • RDT33

That Guy from that Thing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

Hello guys, I don't really see what's all the child discrimination is about, but I've been heavily insulted for being underaged, and I really think games should not be rated on age, it should be rated on maturity. I am almost 13, but I'm mentally mature enough to play and understand this game. The kids you hear screaming "ni**er" and other popular insults that sound like they are 7 are obviously not mature and should not be playing this game. Hope this topic doesn't get deleted but what do you guys think about kids on this game?

If you're under 21 you should not be playing this game.. and your parents should be ashamed for buying such a game for you if you're under 15... period. But parents these days are mostly worthless anyway, from what I can tell... it is now Trevor's world...

It would be a little ridiculous if I had to wait 2 more years to play a Grand Theft Auto game.

RawGo0n
  • RawGo0n

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

man the eras been changing.

I'm a 90s kid and when I was your age I was playing pokemon my parents wouldn't let me near 17+ games. 

Now kids of this decade are doing all sorts of bad things with the internet, and games.

Bane_Of_Legends
  • Bane_Of_Legends

New Kid In Town

• Members

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:44 PM Edited by Bane_Of_Legends, 28 January 2014 - 01:44 PM.

I was 12 when I played my first GTA game, Vice City.

I'm now 18. As anyone can tell, I'm not a mass murdering psycho.

I have a part time job and attend college full time. 

My father used to game with me, and he taught me that how I behave in a game shouldn't be how I behave in real life.

Playing GTA actually made me want to become a police officer, to stop real life people from committing the acts I saw in GTA. 

Deep down I knew the actions in the game were wrong. But that was ok, because it was JUST A GAME.

When it comes down to it, it's the parents job to instill correct values of right and wrong. 

If they can successfully do that, I don't have a problem with any kid wanting to play GTA. 

• Malibu454, Jeff Nesteruk and ll Noble 6 ll like this

ll Noble 6 ll
  • ll Noble 6 ll

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

My father used to game with me, and he taught me that how I behave in a game shouldn't be how I behave in real life.

Playing GTA actually made me want to become a police officer, to stop real life people from committing the acts I saw in GTA. 

Deep down I knew the actions in the game were wrong. But that was ok, because it was JUST A GAME.

When it comes down to it, it's the parents job to instill correct values of right and wrong. 

If they can successfully do that, I don't have a problem with any kid wanting to play GTA. 

^  This...

Sorry not to add anything substantial, but this perfectly encapsulates how I see games and how I'm teaching my son to see games.  He sees me play, hears me curse (tells me to stop) and enjoys the humor and madness of online play.  He knows it's not real and has even told me that he wants to be a police officer someday so he can stop that sort of thing in the real world.

Makes me proud.

TheHammer
  • TheHammer

Oligarch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

Your gonna make a fine Narc one day son....... :lol:

• MilezDawg likes this

gtaocicat
  • gtaocicat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

no kid under 14 or 15 should be playing this game

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

Egg Zackley!!
Do you all commenting have kids??
My 10yr old plays and some of the content in the story mode is a bit racy. He didnt see all of it cause my 15yr old blasted right through the story. But when I was 10 many years ago I knew what was going on and had seen R rated movies before.
My kids aren't oblivious naive Disney kids and I wouldn't want them to be. Gotta have some street smarts. They'll need it when they get older.

gtaocicat
  • gtaocicat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

Egg Zackley!!
Do you all commenting have kids??
My 10yr old plays and some of the content in the story mode is a bit racy. He didnt see all of it cause my 15yr old blasted right through the story. But when I was 10 many years ago I knew what was going on and had seen R rated movies before.
My kids aren't oblivious naive Disney kids and I wouldn't want them to be. Gotta have some street smarts. They'll need it when they get older.

10  year olds shouldnt be playing that game

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:16 PM Edited by Malibu454, 28 January 2014 - 08:18 PM.

Do you have kids?
My son is a sharpshooter with the rifle and he can throw a stickie onto a moving heli from his entity.
Kids got amazing hand eye coordination.
He plays a musical instrument too

gtaocicat
  • gtaocicat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

Do you have kids?
My son is a sharpshooter with the rifle and he can throw a stickie onto a moving heli from his entity.
Kids got amazing hand eye coordination.
He plays a musical instrument too

I  have a 3 year old niece and i would never expose her to that type of game. even when she is 10 .  i dont care how good she would be with a gun or a sticky bomb

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:27 PM Edited by Malibu454, 28 January 2014 - 08:27 PM.

I guess I'm a horrible parent.
It's different when you have your own kids..
We're a GTA family what can I say.
Been playing GTA together since GTA3 came out on the PS2. It taught my older son right from wrong. He'd drive around and avoid getting in trouble with the cops. :)

gtaocicat
  • gtaocicat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

I guess I'm a horrible parent.
We're a GTA family what can I say.
Been playing GTA together since GTA3 came out on the PS2. It taught my older son right from wrong. He'd drive around and avoid getting in trouble with the cops. :)

well i stand by my opinion .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users