About Kids Playing This Game

614 replies to this topic
TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:07 AM

Most things say 18+ though. The "mature" things? 18+? So you know. I'm allowed to see them.

theroc23
  • theroc23

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:33 AM

the game rating system is in place for a reason.. these are games for adults who wanna play with other adults. its a shame parents buy these games for their kids. i am a parent and a gamer and i draw the line with GTA/ saints row for my 11 year old. i cannot stand sh*t talking little kids and would like a few mins alone with parents who let their kids play these games.

Definitely agree with this. One problem is that R* ONLY rates these game because they're required to. In reality they expect and count on a lot of children playing the game when they estimate their profit. They would most certainly frown upon any pressure requiring them to better educate the consumer on ratings in any way.
  • mfoster09 likes this

SkyrimJarl
  • SkyrimJarl

Anime Watcher

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:04 AM

so yeah... I see your guys POV on children now
  • Jeff Nesteruk likes this

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

so yeah... I see your guys POV on children now

It's rare that there are mature children bro. My definition of "kid" is someone immature. I won't call a 10-year-old a kid if the 20-year-old in the same session acts like he's 7.

• Jeff Nesteruk and Akatsuky like this

Bozzah
  • Bozzah

sick, demented griefer

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:30 AM Edited by Bozzah, 04 January 2014 - 09:37 AM.

Imagine me as Trevor teaching your 12 year old girl (or boy, I guess) about the facts of life... if that doesn't scare you... call me!

ANY character in games, movies, animes or even singers can affect someone's view on the facts of life... 

And I doubt that most of the kids would even care about them... They just want to do things they cannot do in real life, and one can say that most video games serve this purpose.. 

However, I don't really think that a kid would kill someone with a gold club just because a video character can do that. They don't know what it would be like to murder someone, they can't imagine the consequences.

When I played GTA when I was like 10, 11 (Vice City), I didn't really care about the things that I actually did, for example killing. I didn't connect the things that I did with my real life, and that's the most important thing. 

I just want to say that someone who could be affected by video games in a negative way is already mentally ill, and that's not the fault of a game.

itsmeMOB
  • itsmeMOB

Wanderer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

I don't care if they play, their parent bought them the game so they should handle it and know enough that this is a terrible game for them to be playing at their age and the risks. I myself am 17 and I'm pretty mature and conscious enough to know how to handle this game, though I've been playing GTA since I was about 10 years old too.

gtaocicat
  • gtaocicat

Underboss of The S1CKMAD3 Mafia

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

geez i didnt play my first GTA game until i was about 20 . and that was gta 1 or 2.  my older cousin introduced me to the world of GTA with his playstation 

dtsmucker
  • dtsmucker

Snitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

They're hilarious for a while but incredibly dim and annoying after a while. The maturity thing is an irrelevance as if you play the game you play it because you understand the game and that it is a game. The mouth pieces are mouth pieces off mic as well (I hear enough of them on the bus day and daily) and only play big because they can. It is an immaturity as you say, but that's just the way of it. If you truly know better you play the game for as as long as you play the game, share the banter if you want and then get on with your life. As for age restrictions they are there to make you aware that there may be disagreeable content and to legally cover r* in case of replication or offence of content in the game. 

In the UK it's actually an offence to sell such material to a minor. So begs the question who's buying children this stuff? Hmmmmm I wonder... Oh that's right, begins with P and ends in ARENTS.

TeammateAssist
  • TeammateAssist

Obey CEO

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

They're hilarious for a while but incredibly dim and annoying after a while. The maturity thing is an irrelevance as if you play the game you play it because you understand the game and that it is a game. The mouth pieces are mouth pieces off mic as well (I hear enough of them on the bus day and daily) and only play big because they can. It is an immaturity as you say, but that's just the way of it. If you truly know better you play the game for as as long as you play the game, share the banter if you want and then get on with your life. As for age restrictions they are there to make you aware that there may be disagreeable content and to legally cover r* in case of replication or offence of content in the game. 

In the UK it's actually an offence to sell such material to a minor. So begs the question who's buying children this stuff? Hmmmmm I wonder... Oh that's right, begins with P and ends in ARENTS.

Pizzarents? jk.

I just thought I could play this game since I'm 18. If not, fine.

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Legally no 18+ game can be sold to someone under 18+, but no law can be drafted (due to inabilty to enforce) to stop a minor playing the game. As I said before the age restriction legally covers R*, but fundamentally is a guide to content. If parents are prepared to expose their children to gta then so be it. It mightn't help problems, but it will highlight them. I'm of the opinion games and things we do don't cause bad behaviour, just provide a conduit through which bad behaviour can be expressed.

On a side note. What is the legal minimum age (still) that someone in the UK can consume alcohol?

• dzian likes this

charleyefc
  • charleyefc

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Legally no 18+ game can be sold to someone under 18+, but no law can be drafted (due to inabilty to enforce) to stop a minor playing the game. As I said before the age restriction legally covers R*, but fundamentally is a guide to content. If parents are prepared to expose their children to gta then so be it. It mightn't help problems, but it will highlight them. I'm of the opinion games and things we do don't cause bad behaviour, just provide a conduit through which bad behaviour can be expressed.

On a side note. What is the legal minimum age (still) that someone in the UK can consume alcohol?

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

5 years old. Alcohol cannot be legally sold to anyone under 18 in licensed premises, but that isn't to say a minor cannot legally consume alcohol. Items like lemonade shandy are commonly sold as confection and contain beer. The quantity in minute, but technically it's a child consuming alcohol (although the sugars are more of a risk than the beer). Before any parents hit the ceiling, responsible parents will avoid letting the kids being put in undue risk of harm and embarrassment and although a fact it doesn't justify doing it.

charleyefc
  • charleyefc

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

5 years old. Alcohol cannot be legally sold to anyone under 18 in licensed premises, but that isn't to say a minor cannot legally consume alcohol. Items like lemonade shandy are commonly sold as confection and contain beer. The quantity in minute, but technically it's a child consuming alcohol (although the sugars are more of a risk than the beer). Before any parents hit the ceiling, responsible parents will avoid letting the kids being put in undue risk of harm and embarrassment and although a fact it doesn't justify doing it.

Yes 5 years old, I didn't read it right and didn't realise it said consume. 

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

Rollin' Bones

• Members
  • England

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

Hello guys, I don't really see what's all the child discrimination is about, but I've been heavily insulted for being underaged, and I really think games should not be rated on age, it should be rated on maturity. I am almost 13, but I'm mentally mature enough to play and understand this game. The kids you hear screaming "ni**er" and other popular insults that sound like they are 7 are obviously not mature and should not be playing this game. Hope this topic doesn't get deleted but what do you guys think about kids on this game?

If you're under 21 you should not be playing this game.. and your parents should be ashamed for buying such a game for you if you're under 15... period. But parents these days are mostly worthless anyway, from what I can tell... it is now Trevor's world...

18, and you're an idiot.

PatMcgroin1
  • PatMcgroin1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hello guys, I don't really see what's all the child discrimination is about, but I've been heavily insulted for being underaged, and I really think games should not be rated on age, it should be rated on maturity. I am almost 13, but I'm mentally mature enough to play and understand this game. The kids you hear screaming "ni**er" and other popular insults that sound like they are 7 are obviously not mature and should not be playing this game. Hope this topic doesn't get deleted but what do you guys think about kids on this game?

I'm 16 and everytime i put the mic on public with my friend, it always results with me exchanging racial slurs with someone much older. Rarely is their a kid that talks smack to me when i play.

charleyefc
  • charleyefc

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

If you're under 21 you should not be playing this game.. and your parents should be ashamed for buying such a game for you if you're under 15... period. But parents these days are mostly worthless anyway, from what I can tell... it is now Trevor's world...

18, and you're an idiot.

you're an idiot, it could be 21+ in a different country.

hotrats773
  • hotrats773

NUNBUTANOGOODHO

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Are we talking GTA Online or SP? Because SP, I will not let my daughter (12 y/o) go near it. I played it all the way through and there some pretty warped sh*t going on. Online? Not so much aside from the usual a-holes that propagate the online gaming world. Those she can handle because of the rules I have in place (private lobby and friends only).

Personally, I do not want to play with kids because my language can get a little salty and I don't feel like having to censor myself. It's just a personal comfort level thing; nothing against kids in general. YMMV.

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:07 PM Edited by Malibu454, 04 January 2014 - 05:08 PM.

Single player is far worse than mp
Especially with uncle Trevor minding your kids.
And that one scene where the movie starlet is getting banged in the a$$.
My kids already played it so I must be a horrible parent. Nothing they haven't seen on TV though.
And when someone kicking my girls a$$ I get my 10yr old to come and shoot the sh*t out of them for me.
He once nailed a sticky bomb on a chopper while he was flying down the road in his Entity!
"BOOM"
I laughed my ass off after that one..
The kid's lethal!
They know its a game and not reality.
  • ten-a-penny and Jeff Nesteruk like this

MNTLspazzm
  • MNTLspazzm

Son of a Gun

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

Single player is far worse than mp
Especially with uncle Trevor minding your kids.
And that one scene where the movie starlet is getting banged in the a$$.
My kids already played it so I must be a horrible parent. Nothing they haven't seen on TV though.
And when someone kicking my girls a$$ I get my 10yr old to come and shoot the sh*t out of them for me.
He once nailed a sticky bomb on a chopper while he was flying down the road in his Entity!
"BOOM"
I laughed my ass off after that one..
The kid's lethal!
They know its a game and not reality.

Honestly at least you are there with them, experiencing it.
Kids are a pair of eyes. Always watching, very impressionable.

Speaking from experience here, I was a kid for 12 years but it paid sh*tty so I had to find another job.
Lol.

dzian
  • dzian

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

In the UK they're amending proxy laws to cover all age restricted goods. So if your 15 and your parents by you gta6 they can be fined.

You may think its hard to enforce and in many cases it is. But in the online gaming age it's quite easy to track who plays what game. A simple search for under 18 gamertags accessing gta online wouldnt be that difficult.

That aside its mentality that I hate. Both older people and younger ones. Cruising los santos with a friend parkednmy sultan outside suburban went in got some new clothes only to find a bunch of kids stole my car. Did a drive by on me with my own car when I left the store and they were all laughing at me. Friend stepped out shot gunned one. The rest drove off and I pulled my phone out and dialled detonate bomb killed the other 2 and went after them again and they started bitching and crying because theyre losing a fight that they started.

Theyre the people I hate regardless of age.
  • Jeff Nesteruk likes this

gear999
  • gear999

I need to change my picture

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

I don't get this whole "GTA affects our kids because it has virtual crime and has a high age rating!" thing. I played VC when I was 8. I even played GTA 1. I'm not a murderer or car thief.

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

Wow! The UK must suck!

Well it is  GTA!

Your car's gonna get stolen if you leave it unlocked. Ah Duh!!

My Tornado got stolen last night while I was doing a gang attack.

I found it in the middle of the city a little banged up,

But the dude left a car behind so I could go get mine.

I don't listen the game chat sh*t. I have that turned off.

s1ckmad3
  • s1ckmad3

Head Don Of The S1CKMAD3 Mafia

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:29 AM

I'm 16 and everytime i put the mic on public with my friend, it always results with me exchanging racial slurs with someone much older. Rarely is their a kid that talks smack to me when i play.

i agree with you i hear kids going about their business then some adult tells them to stfu.

SkyrimJarl
  • SkyrimJarl

Anime Watcher

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

In the UK they're amending proxy laws to cover all age restricted goods. So if your 15 and your parents by you gta6 they can be fined.
You may think its hard to enforce and in many cases it is. But in the online gaming age it's quite easy to track who plays what game. A simple search for under 18 gamertags accessing gta online wouldnt be that difficult.
That aside its mentality that I hate. Both older people and younger ones. Cruising los santos with a friend parkednmy sultan outside suburban went in got some new clothes only to find a bunch of kids stole my car. Did a drive by on me with my own car when I left the store and they were all laughing at me. Friend stepped out shot gunned one. The rest drove off and I pulled my phone out and dialled detonate bomb killed the other 2 and went after them again and they started bitching and crying because theyre losing a fight that they started.
Theyre the people I hate regardless of age.

Tough

Malibu454
  • Malibu454

Bite Me..

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

I don't get this whole "GTA affects our kids because it has virtual crime and has a high age rating!" thing. I played VC when I was 8. I even played GTA 1. I'm not a murderer or car thief.

Not YET!
Don't worry you will be..
;) ;)

gear999
  • gear999

I need to change my picture

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Not YET!
Don't worry you will be..
;) ;)
Ok then!
*goes outside to steal car and kill people*
  • fERON and Akatsuky like this

SkyrimJarl
  • SkyrimJarl

Anime Watcher

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

I hope this becomes pinned, kids playing this game are like one of the biggest discussions

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

Rollin' Bones

• Members
  • England

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

18, and you're an idiot.

you're an idiot, it could be 21+ in a different country.

Name one. I don't operate under the conditions of 'could'. I deal with facts.

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

American states regularly sets 21+ age limits for things like alcohol and gambling. Can't be specific about games though. Hell other countries or 'enclave' (misappropriated that term to mean specific houses and individuals) have outwardly banned some games such as carmageddon and pokemon.

mfoster09
  • mfoster09

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Surprise surprise, the same little kid who started this topic started a thread asking bout d.n.s servers. Wanting to know how to cheat. Just go back to minectaft kid, we don't need more cheaters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users