Photo

About Kids Playing This Game

442 replies to this topic
Darth_Rob
  • Darth_Rob

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:10 PM Edited by Darth_Rob, 28 July 2014 - 11:15 PM.

I've never known a 13 year-old who didn't think they were "mature" for their age.  I'm sure you're the exception to the rule, but the majority of kids your age who play GTAO are a bunch of unmitigated twits. Heck, I was a twit at your age, but back then our version of "griefing" was to call up 7-11 and ask them if they had Prince Albert in a can.

And I don't blame the kids. I blame their parents for saddling us with their squeaking larvae. They'd rather let the online gaming community babysit for them than do any actual parenting.

Zito
  • Zito

RBLiberty

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:17 PM

Hello guys, I don't really see what's all the child discrimination is about, but I've been heavily insulted for being underaged, and I really think games should not be rated on age, it should be rated on maturity. I am almost 13, but I'm mentally mature enough to play and understand this game. The kids you hear screaming "ni**er" and other popular insults that sound like they are 7 are obviously not mature and should not be playing this game. Hope this topic doesn't get deleted but what do you guys think about kids on this game?

If you're under 21 you should not be playing this game.. and your parents should be ashamed for buying such a game for you if you're under 15... period. But parents these days are mostly worthless anyway, from what I can tell... it is now Trevor's world...

3027d1380196973-gta-v-untitled.jpg

• Sky_Light12, NikkoCharger and gbrown100 like this

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

Ha, I remember when I was a youngin' and my grandma walked in on me playing Vice City. I was in the strip club killing everyone... needless to say she took the game from me. That never did stop me from playing, I grew up playing GTA, Soldier of Fortune, Sin, Redneck Rampage and Half-Life, so over the top gore and violence never messed with me as a kid.

Some kids just have fragile minds and can't be helped, and sadly it's sometimes not even the parents fault... but it's more sad knowing a parent or two that use video games as a babysitter, and unless it's a 'Leapfrog' or some other educational game, parents will be walking a slippery slope using that method.

In other words, when my son or daughter are 10-13 and want a GTA game, depending on their maturity will be the determining factor if they can get it or not.
  • henriquedematos likes this

NecroNeedle
  • NecroNeedle

Trick

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:32 PM Edited by NecroNeedle, 28 July 2014 - 11:33 PM.

I dont mind kids as long as there not squeakers. I do mind when assholes rag on kids and curse them out and call them every name over the rainbow. but then II guess thats the parents faults for letting their child play an M rated game.

then when they go crazy and kill someone or something irl, and they are all like,... it was in gtav well then.

-Shrugs-

• LightningLord411 likes this

The Amazing Warrener
  • The Amazing Warrener

Noli timere messorem

• Members
  • Georgia

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

Here's the thing, the main reason most people immedieatly start insulting and discriminating young players is because they want to A)fit in with the rest of the "cool guys" or B)They'll feel strong and powerful after doing so. Or both, of course.

Please don't use voice communication if you know your voice is annoying though as that may be the one of the causes of your problem :whuh:

• LightningLord411 likes this

ProLaps
  • ProLaps

Strain Hard.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:42 PM Edited by MichaelK91, 28 July 2014 - 11:47 PM.

Hello guys, I don't really see what's all the child discrimination is about, but I've been heavily insulted for being underaged, and I really think games should not be rated on age, it should be rated on maturity. I am almost 13, but I'm mentally mature enough to play and understand this game. The kids you hear screaming "ni**er" and other popular insults that sound like they are 7 are obviously not mature and should not be playing this game. Hope this topic doesn't get deleted but what do you guys think about kids on this game?

The thing is, maturity is is subjective, I myself have seen thirty-year-olds acting like seven-year-olds, so yeah. The issue is, a majority, and it is quite a lot, of your age group and between the ages of 12-17 are not mature like you claim to be. So, people are going to treat you like sh*t, call you names, and just in general not treat you with respect. Sadly that is the way things have become. It is not something I like, but that is the way things are. As for the existence of the age ratings of games (in America E to A ratings), I am fine and think those are justly appropriate. No matter how mature a younger gamer may be, I do not think it is appropriate for them to be playing M Rated games if they are under 17, though if I were a parent, and they were 16, I MAY make an exception. However, I do realize that if they go to a friend's house and play games like that, I can only request that they not play those games, tell the parent or parents they cannot play those games, or forbid them from going to that friend's house (which is something I would not like to do). In short, I am for age ratings on games (this is coming from an adult who played graphic games when I was 7), and that we will probably have to live with discrimination, as no one seems to want to fix it.

Regards,

Michael K.

• PlayerSince97 likes this

SkyrimJarl
  • SkyrimJarl

Anime Watcher

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

The thing is, maturity is is subjective, I myself have seen thirty-year-olds acting like seven-year-olds, so yeah. The issue is, a majority, and it is quite a lot, of your age group and between the ages of 12-17 are not mature like you claim to be. So, people are going to treat you like sh*t, call you names, and just in general not treat you with respect. Sadly that is the way things have become. It is not something I like, but that is the way things are. As for the existence of the age ratings of games (in America E to A ratings), I am fine and think those are justly appropriate. No matter how mature a younger gamer may be, I do not think it is appropriate for them to be playing M Rated games if they are under 17, though if I were a parent, and they were 16, I MAY make an exception. However, I do realize that if they go to a friend's house and play games like that, I can only request that they not play those games, tell the parent or parents they cannot play those games, or forbid them from going to that friend's house (which is something I would not like to do). In short, I am for age ratings on games (this is coming from an adult who played graphic games when I was 7), and that we will probably have to live with discrimination, as no one seems to want to fix it.

Regards,

Michael K.

Thank you, I understand now xD sorry for late reply

xerophytism
  • xerophytism

GT: Embludgeoned

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:21 AM

You know when you see like a 13 year old kid who obviously has not much better to do with his life outside of school that he knows the game in and out, when I hear them talking about the intricacies of things online it just unsettles me a bit

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:01 AM

You know when you see like a 13 year old kid who obviously has not much better to do with his life outside of school that he knows the game in and out, when I hear them talking about the intricacies of things online it just unsettles me a bit

Not much better to do?

Perhaps he enjoys the game - and it's the other crap that's "not much better".

xerophytism
  • xerophytism

GT: Embludgeoned

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:12 AM

Not much better to do?

Then if they don't have anything better to do there's no dispute over that?

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:14 AM

Not much better to do?

Then if they don't have anything better to do there's no dispute over that?

Then why would that unsettle you?

PlayerSince97
  • PlayerSince97

Name's Tyler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:17 AM

I've got a friend who is 22 years old, and I cringe every time he plays GTA Online.

He's always yelling, screaming at people who kill him, interrupting them when they try to talk, it drives me insane.

Now he does have anger management issues, so I believe it has nothing to do with age.

Hence my name, I've been playing since the first GTA release. I remember going to Best Buy and my mom and stepdad buying the game for me, I was six years old. I have pictures of me and my brother taking turns playing the original GTA. I remember my cousin bought us Vice City, he was 18 at the time and my brother was 14 and I was 10. I accidentally said the line where Tommy runs over the Chef and says something like "you prick" and my brother told on me. I of course had no idea that it was a bad word, so my mother came into my room and explained to me that it is a bad word, and not to say it. Never had my games taken away, no punishment, just a strict talking to.

Slight OT, but I also grew up listening to Eminem. I never have been arrested, only smoked weed, stopped shortly after, and only been pulled over twice, for my music being too loud.

Tldr? I grew up okay with the GTA franchise.

GTA51999
  • GTA51999

Help the FBI!!!Join FB Mobsters!!!610+

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:27 AM

My father put it to me this way, as long as I don't go kill someone in real life and are mature about it I can play it. I'm 15..... I never had problems with people saying I'm to young to play because #1 I don't cuss and #2 I don't Scream in my mic. As long as you are mature and play the game as it should be played. As well as knowing all the consequences of playing this game on what you should do and not to. Anyone can play it.

SkyrimJarl
  • SkyrimJarl

Anime Watcher

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:40 AM

My father put it to me this way, as long as I don't go kill someone in real life and are mature about it I can play it. I'm 15..... I never had problems with people saying I'm to young to play because #1 I don't cuss and #2 I don't Scream in my mic. As long as you are mature and play the game as it should be played. As well as knowing all the consequences of playing this game on what you should do and not to. Anyone can play it.

Cool father

DangerZone77
  • DangerZone77

ninja not ninjer

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:49 AM

The first week of GTA:O was kids who kept saying *igga for everything... that word has replaced "dude". Adults who say that annoy me too... ni*ga nigg* n*gga... Player Chat <friends only> since October 2013. I don't even chat in missions except with my friends.

SkyrimJarl
  • SkyrimJarl

Anime Watcher

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:14 AM

The first week of GTA:O was kids who kept saying *igga for everything... that word has replaced "dude". Adults who say that annoy me too... ni*ga nigg* n*gga... Player Chat <friends only> since October 2013. I don't even chat in missions except with my friends.

lol

henriquedematos
  • henriquedematos

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:34 AM

Yeah, like the majority here, I also started playing GTA as a kid, and being 17 years old, I'm still pretty much a kid  :pp

There is obviously a correlation between age and maturity (Well... Duh!), but that doesn't mean there aren't kids capable of respecting other players in online videogames. It's more of a matter of education than just age, really.

EddieLTU
  • EddieLTU

Sample Text

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:11 AM

the minimum age for kids to play on classic GTA's should be 13(i started to play SA:MP when i was 13)

and the minimum age for kids to play newer rockstar made multiplayer should be 16

if you ask why, well in SA:MP, you can't really do anything dumb like you can on GTA Online, many servers won't allow you to enter aircraft with guns, own a minigun, RPG. And you can join any server you want, that has your friends, people from your area, country. And people mosly are role playing, hanging out in the free roam servers where they spend a great time chatting, doing funny stuff.

While on GTA IV/V Online, you join a random server, where people you don't know are playing and doing a huge clusterfck, and you will see bunch of douchebags with chrome adders trying to kill you for no reason, kids hanging out at the airport(like seriously, WHAT's so fun hanging out in the airport), people are speaking foreign language/or mute are unpredictable

TUFF_CLINT
  • TUFF_CLINT

President Rebels Australia PS4,Elite PS4, Paleto Bay

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:24 AM Edited by TUFF_CLINT, 17 September 2014 - 04:47 AM.

I play GTA Online with my son. I'll admit, Mum isn't impressed, but we have a ball on-line.

At first it was NO ON-LINE play for him as I sat beside him & watched him have a go off-line. I think those first few days / weeks were more fun for me watching him learn the controls, get hysterical over game play & generally learn every facet of the game.

Then it was time for on-line... We started off on invite only sessions (strictly). I was surprised how aged my son was playing the game. We did this for another week or so & I had to explain a few things about life. He's "just" pre-teen. I knew he'd find them eventually, so I took him to Heff's mansion & to the strip club. He immediately turned around, red faced, calling me for everything. Again, I knew he'd see it when I wasn't around, so I got on the billy in my high end apartment. This disgusted him. I asked him about the sex & drugs in the game & he replied with "I just avoid it Dad".

We started on free roam "sheepishly". We avoided people at first, heading straight out into the desert. he'd listen to others, while on mute, & often say that "these people carry on like d*ckheads" or "this bloke's a fruitloop". I started to feel more comfortable with him playing an on-line game.

He now goes on free roam on his own. in all honesty, I did think he would revert to be one of the pain in the butt squeakers, but to my surprise, he actually has a good head on his shoulders. I have often walked in on him & he is helping a lower level player (he's about 180 now) who was copping grief from some dirtbag or he's doing Rooftop & explaining what to do & how to do it with people on single figure ranks, helping them to rank up. He'll look for single figure players, not to hunt, but will give them his fully optioned Zentorno, his Monster Truck or one of his planes or a Buzzard, just so they can have a go with higher level equipment or he might drop a high end gun so they can protect themselves a bit better.

I can't speak for everyone & my opinion is mine alone, but if done right, I can't see any issues with GTA for younger players... the important words here... "IF DONE RIGHT"...!

I guess I have 2014's version of quality time with your kids.

BTW - Being closer to 50 than to 40, the little sh*t flogs the crap out of me if we "get serious" so it's good to have back-up with quick reflexes...!

• henriquedematos, A Maned Wolf, LightningLord411 and 3 others like this

Sp3cial_H3rbs
  • Sp3cial_H3rbs

Hash Masta

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:33 AM

dont really see a problem, i was playing mature games on my n64 as a kid. itll be kind of hypocrytical on my part to say otherwise.

• LittleB likes this

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:37 AM

TUFF_CLINT - you sound like a good parent :^:

My concern is the parents that just give the kid a headset and a game, then go do something else.

TUFF_CLINT
  • TUFF_CLINT

President Rebels Australia PS4,Elite PS4, Paleto Bay

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:15 AM

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE with SpidersWeb & thank you... Being a 1966 vintage from the back of Liverpool (NSW, Australia that is for you UK people), I have seen some pretty bad parenting. I never really knew my Mum, but I had a great Dad who devoted himself to his family. While I want to "protect" my boy from life's pains, I also want him to live & experience everything it has to offer... in moderation.

He's not concerned with the drug / sex references & avoids them. He does still cop a little grief online, but I've found it's more the late teens giving the early teens a hard time & then both (generally speaking) seem to give mature aged players a rough trot. Luckily, the first thing I taught him about online gameplay was that there are idiots out there in cyberspace that carry on like fruitloops. He has taken this on board & has learnt online etiquette. He'll taunt them for a while now & then just go to a new session.

• SpidersWeb, ProLaps and A Maned Wolf like this

goldadderXD
  • goldadderXD

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:45 AM

Im still gonna kill you online if i ever find you :)

LA_Takers
  • LA_Takers

Peon

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:51 AM

Cant wait for the adrian peterson dlc to get rid of these kids

apollon_13
  • apollon_13

Elite Aviator

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:27 PM Edited by apollon_13, 19 September 2014 - 01:28 PM.

It's funny how kids say it's fine and acting all mature.

D.A.
  • D.A.

METAL GEAR?!

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:29 PM

So you say next time they sell a GTAV copy,they align 250,000 people,give them 10 minutes on GTAO and test how "MATURE" they are before they sell copies.

You can't measure maturity,well you can...by age. Kids shouldn't be able to play GTAV regardles it's rated 18.

purevil101
  • purevil101

Snitch

• Members
  • Afghanistan

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

The 18 certification is a bit harsh. 16 year olds can join the royal marines and get married so they should be mature enough to play violent video games. I hope..

Not sure about players under the age of 15 playing it due to the violent, sexual cut scenes and content.

Judge Judy
  • Judge Judy

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:27 AM Edited by Judge Judy, 20 September 2014 - 12:28 AM.

Children should not be playing this game. In fact anyone under 17 years shouldn't be playing either.

Foolish parents are to blame for this ridiculousness.

This generation of parents are irresponsible, foolish, and outrageous!

Dumb guy
  • Dumb guy

SUPERHEAVYDOODY

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:46 AM

This whole rating thing was brought on by politicians.
I for one can raise my kids without interference from a nanny state.
It's a video game. Not N.Korean style indoctrination.
At age five my daughter had more maturity and common sense than any politician.
I say let em play. When they've finished home work and chores. Keep em off the mic(some of you have no class). And be involved in your child's life.
Common sense really.

ZeusMowat_278
  • ZeusMowat_278

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:12 AM

If you're under 21 you should not be playing this game.. and your parents should be ashamed for buying such a game for you if you're under 15... period. But parents these days are mostly worthless anyway, from what I can tell... it is now Trevor's world...

Under 21? That's a bit unfair... maybe under 16

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users