Quantcast

» «
Photo

Pop Music (Alt Title: Come feel superior to us plebs)

5 replies to this topic
Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:54 AM Edited by Brobinski, 03 January 2014 - 12:55 AM.

I know.

I know. These forums tend to be filled with angsty teens who're just discovering what they like in the world, and especially in music. This means that anything mainstream is ridiculed as being for plebs or way too manufactured to be any good or whatever. It may not be as esoteric as your progressive Norwegian hardcore death metal or deep twisted house by some 14 year old producer in his former bloc bedroom, but pop music can be f*cking amazing.

There are two types of pop music, as far as I'm concerned. You've got the stuff that all the cool people rightly hate; all the corporate, "fake" stuff like (current) Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus and One Direction. They're just grafting for chart positions, YouTube hits and, like everyone else, money. The other, more interesting type, is a little more focussed on making good, catchy pop-music. They're often a lot more ephemeral and further down the charts but they do come out with some gold.

For example, synth-pop seems to be making a massive move back into popularity, here in the UK at least. Some notable ones include: Foxes (featured recently on a Zedd record), CHVRCHES (of advert-song fame), Icona Pop (whose hit was literally inescapable this summer).

So, here's some stuff I'd like to present as good pop music that might not be as well known.

Matt and Kim

Charli XCX

(I cannot stop listening to this. Her whole debut album is great, too.)

Icona Pop (ft. Charli XCX)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeeCw5Is-vQ

I guess we can use this topic for any sort of pop music discussion. You're over the moon Justin Bieber is retiring? Go for it. Wanna tell me exactly why all pop music is sh*t? Come on in. Fancy discussing some of the decent stuff that's actually out there? You'll fit right in.

So.... what's the general consensus on pop music in here?

• Tyler likes this

Tyler
  • Tyler

JUST DO IT

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:40 AM

Indie pop music, Rob? You never fail to disappoint me with your quirk. :p

As for well-produced but not-particularly-popular pop music, You should look no further than The Drums. I've been stuck on these guys for a couple of years now and while their latest album was a bit of a disappointment, their earlier EPs and self-titled debut album are some of the catchiest, shamelessly loveable examples of surf-pop I know of. 

Speaking of well-produced pop tunes, what's your make of Lady Gaga's newest album? I couldn't get into it so much, just wasn't my kind of jams on the album. Applause was great but it was still one of the worst gaga songs I've heard, I think. Felt too uninspired, I don't know. I'm going to try and not be snobby about pop music but when it comes down to it I think it's inevitable that you're going to get a little snobby when discussing Lady Gaga because it's kind of a major thing surrounding her. 

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:08 AM

It may not be as esoteric as your progressive Norwegian black metal.

Fixed.

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Indie pop music, Rob? You never fail to disappoint me with your quirk. :p

As for well-produced but not-particularly-popular pop music, You should look no further than The Drums. I've been stuck on these guys for a couple of years now and while their latest album was a bit of a disappointment, their earlier EPs and self-titled debut album are some of the catchiest, shamelessly loveable examples of surf-pop I know of. 

Speaking of well-produced pop tunes, what's your make of Lady Gaga's newest album? I couldn't get into it so much, just wasn't my kind of jams on the album. Applause was great but it was still one of the worst gaga songs I've heard, I think. Felt too uninspired, I don't know. I'm going to try and not be snobby about pop music but when it comes down to it I think it's inevitable that you're going to get a little snobby when discussing Lady Gaga because it's kind of a major thing surrounding her. 

Haha, it's strange really. You'd expect me to have come on to synthpop because of my obsession with people like Lady Gaga (more on that later), but it's actually from the other end of the spectrum. It fills the void in my life where I wanted some stuff that reminded me of "noise" bands like Crystal Castles but was easier listening. Something synthy but that was catchy and worked well in the car.

I've heard of The Drums but never given them a listen. I guess I've always got the impression that they were a lot closer to the whole indie-folk crowd like the godawaful Mumford and Sons. Can't bare judgement on them right now (I'm on a laptop with bust speakers and no headphones to hand) but I'll take your word for it and check them out in due time.

As for Gaga, again, it's strange. I still love her as a performer and person but I haven't even listened to ARTPOP yet. Applause never really hooked me at all and I guess I was apprehensive fo the entire album following that. I've seen some live performances of songs from the album and loved them though. Gypsy is really good though (especially this performance with a certain green friend). I'm going to give ARTPOP a go soon, but general reception has been kind of "meh", even in the parts of the internet that I frequent where people are obsessed (but still critical) with her, so I'm not going to rush in to it.

That said, this is goddamn fantastic:

100% less R Kelly and 100% Christina is never a bad thing.

As you might be able to tell from the OP though, my current pop obsession is Charli XCX. Her debut album (True Romance) is incredibly strong and has some great hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_5b5BLT1CM

Fixed.

My apologies, my mainstream sensibilities blind me.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Administrator
  • Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

Fixed.

That's an oxymoron if I've ever read one. But feel free to discuss that in the metal topic.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Catchy indeed, so annoyingly catchy I actually went to see them a few years ago. Although I don't really care for them anymore, and I didn't even give the second album my time. Me And The Moon is still quite nice.

Pop isn't really my forte - well, modern pop. But you know what, to this day I haven't heard a Rihanna song I don't like.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users