Bring back the GTAF Personal notepad?

22 replies to this topic
lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

Before the big update there was this personal GTAF notepad feature where I used to store codes and some links that are GTAF related, what happened to it?

What was the reason for the deletion of it?

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:46 AM Edited by Andreas, 03 January 2014 - 12:53 AM.

I think the notepad was one of the default features of Invision Power Board 1.3, that's why it was there in the first place. Newer versions of the software don't seem to have that feature anymore.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

You can use the PM system as an alternative though. When you want to "note" something, just send a PM with your notes to yourself.

Shou
  • Shou

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

Or you could make a Word document which includes all your notes or a Google doc if you want it to be in the cloud, you could store the link in your PM box or anywhere else you want. 

So many alternatives. 

• GTAKid667 and Myron like this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

You can use the PM system as an alternative though. When you want to "note" something, just send a PM with your notes to yourself.

You cannot send a conversation to yourself on the new forum software, though, I wish you could :^:

Personally, I never used the notepad feature and found it just as easy, as Shoumic says, to store this information elsewhere on a type of text document - It's just the same as writing in the Notepad Box.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

You cannot send a conversation to yourself on the new forum software, though, I wish you could :^:

I should have clarified that. You can still save messages/notes by making a note, picking a random recipient but instead of hitting "send" you hit "Save (Send Later)" to save the message/note in your drafts folder. Or like Shoumic said, you can indeed also store it in the cloud. Whatever you prefer. :)

• GTAKid667 likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

I should have clarified that. You can still save messages/notes by making a note, picking a random recipient but instead of hitting "send" you hit "Save (Send Later)" to save the message/note in your drafts folder. Or like Shoumic said, you can indeed also store it in the cloud. Whatever you prefer. :)

I never actually thought of that, good idea :)

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Before the big update there was this personal GTAF notepad feature where I used to store codes and some links that are GTAF related, what happened to it?

Same. I had the link to Demarest's arrest video stashed there. :p

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

Or you could make a Word document which includes all your notes or a Google doc if you want it to be in the cloud, you could store the link in your PM box or anywhere else you want. 

So many alternatives. 

Maybe because I actually find this to be way easier, because I easily lose them.

Storing codes and such on your own GTAF profile seems much simpled, for some reason I loved that feature.

Same. I had the link to Demarest's arrest video stashed there. :p

Dem-arrested

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

How do you guys even know Demarest? A bit before your time..

• fireguy109 likes this

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:35 AM Edited by fireguy109, 14 January 2014 - 12:37 AM.

When I first got started on here I was big into the modding stuff, actually got referred from Cerbera's site I think. I read his rant about Dem on there and pieced together the history through a bunch of discussions with the old modders and staff, and a lot of looking through old topics. I've forgotten a few of the finer details by now, but I know the story quite well. ;)

E: darn typos, we need ninja edit back.

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:26 AM

I know of him, cause I was around when he was unbanned for a while.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:44 AM

I am pretty sure I don't know this guy but was he from the Modding Section? He sounds like he was just like Slamman and Zee.

Anyways, as for the suggestion, I really liked that notepad too but I would always go for the Computer's notepad instead of this site's. The previous one didn't really have any features to be put in.

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:44 AM

Dem was a hell of a modder back in the day, a good staff member too. Eventually it got to his head, he started abusing his powers, and it went downhill from there. It's not lot like Cerb was an angel either. Saying he was like Slamman or Zee is a slap in the face. I'm not gonna defend his abuses but he did make some serious contributions to the modding scene and forums back in the day, unlike those spammy f*cks.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Was just noticing this myself, wished it didn't disappear. Had forum related dates and crap. :v:

ZAZ
  • ZAZ

Kernlochbohrer

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Was just noticing this myself, wished it didn't disappear. Had forum related dates and crap. :v:

yes, same for me

i wish i would get the content back

• lol232 likes this

Panz
  • Panz

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Returning Member 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2013
    Hottest Member 2014

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

Yeah, I stored all of my old signature and avatar links there. Now they're gone. 

It would be nice to see this feature return as it came in handy quite a few times. 

• lol232 likes this

Android
  • Android

Whiskey Tits

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:29 AM

I transferred everything from my note box and put it all into a Word Pad document, luckily enough, I did it about a week before the update.

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, I stored all of my old signature and avatar links there. Now they're gone. 

It would be nice to see this feature return as it came in handy quite a few times. 

I'm 2 weeks late, but this is exactly what I did with it too; I stored some more complicated BB codes as well as some signatures and avatars I may have used in the future.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award
    Helpfulness Award [Technology]

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:41 PM Edited by yojo2, 22 February 2014 - 06:22 PM.

I'm pretty sure that the data from personal notepad is still stored in the database, and therefore is not lost. An admin might be able to retrieve it for you.

To be more specific, it should be stored in table ibf_profile_portal, column notes if I'm not mistaken.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

I'm pretty sure that the data from personal notepad is still stored in the database, and therefore is not lost. An admin might be able to retrieve it for you.

Waiting for confirmation.

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

Although this is months old, I'm gonna bump this, because I too want a confirmation.

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

Midnight Wanderer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

All your data is still there on the unused database table from Invision Power Board 1.3. The current software 3.4.x doesn't use the notepad. You can ask a Network Admin about recovering your data from the SQL database.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users