what makes tommy vercetti the best

16 replies to this topic
greenrock
  • greenrock

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

when it comes to "favorite protagonist in gta" polls and stuff on this forum and every other forum...usually Tommy comes up on top....CJ is usually second........... but Tommy usually has a good lead on CJ..

what makes Tommy so damm awsome? is it ray liotta or just his character in general

PooyanCyrus
  • PooyanCyrus

iFruit fanboys are idiots

• Members
  • Iran

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

Because most people who scared from dark places, started playing GTA since when it became vibrant. Then, in 2004 they said "SA is dark, I scare from it :(, I love Tommy, the mad copied character".

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

You gotta keep in mind that Tommy's flashy attire comes to mind. Especially that splendid shirt.

Tommy_Vercetti_from_GTA_Vice_City.png

greenrock
  • greenrock

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

Because most people who scared from dark places, started playing GTA since when it became vibrant. Then, in 2004 they said "SA is dark, I scare from it :(, I love Tommy, the mad copied character".

lol yeah and CJ is mad original? /sarcasm

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

Vice City Mamba

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

Due to the fact that Tommy is a wise guy. I totally loved the attitude he portrayed. The character of a Big drug baron among Vice City's underworld that he didn't want to be anyone's bitch. a la Carl Johnson. His character is vibrant, in an 80s setting. that why I love Vice city.

Phil Collin
  • Phil Collin

Easy Lover xD

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:01 AM

Because he is not whiner like CJ, and i think kids like SA more, The story of VC makes you love him even more.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:19 AM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 03 January 2014 - 02:20 AM.

i really don't think he is the best   i quite liked him i  guess   but i would take Niko Michael Trevor Toni  and Johnny over him tbh 

PooyanCyrus
  • PooyanCyrus

iFruit fanboys are idiots

• Members
  • Iran

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

The fact that most VC fanboys hate "III", "SA" and IV shows that what I said in post #2 is correct.
They always want a "Colorful vibrant" game.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Dressed To Kill

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

What sets Vercetti apart from his fellow protagonists is his drive, his ambition. He acts solely for his own personal gain, whether motivated by self preservation, expanding his criminal empire or to make a quick buck. He does not allow anyone to cause him to deviate or falter in his objective of seizing total control of Vice City's underworld, regardless of their standing as a powerful mob boss or Colombian drug kingpin.

I don't want to understate the effect GTAVC has on why Vercetti is so memorable. Although I don't agree that people prefer VC because it is colorful and vibrant, it definitely lends a LOT to Tommy's identity. The loud Hawaiian shirt. The pastel tone Soiree. The neon drenched Pole Position and Malibu clubs we purchase. They add to and shape the personality of a character who is essentially a dark Liberty City ex-con with an even darker past, in the same way you know you are "home" when you are rolling down Grove St on a BMX at sundown with CJ.

It also helps that GTAVC wants you to interact with it, wants to show you Vice City through Vercetti's eyes. Only GTAIV surpasses this, where Niko adapts to a whole different culture and as players we learned aside him with all that was new.

All the little things in GTAVC are geared towards the protagonist's personality - and that just makes it for me. When in the other games were we presented with a roaring blade and group of pedestrians happily chatting away nearby when we obtain a chainsaw for the first time? When else were we introduced to new vehicles with the protagonist actually encouraging us to steal a parked motorcycle? Who else of the protagonists would make scathing remarks immediately after a cutscene? It felt like you were in Vercetti's shoes.

I doubt Tommy would've been so memorable if he wasn't the first protagonist in the series to have a voice, though. I wonder what the effect this has on Tommy's popularity purely for nostalgic purposes?

It's worth remembering how short GTAVC was next to IV & SA in terms of main storyline. The game was released not long after III and had absolutely zero filler - especially when compared with the Badlands/Desert missions in SA and the "repetitive" go-here kill-him from IV that people often cite for disliking Niko and CJ. How much does that impact on Tommy's popularity that his story is short enough for him to retain his credibility?

Credit where credit is due to Ray Liotta - Vercetti wouldn't have had half as much snap if it wasn't for Liotta's powerhouse performance. I struggle to imagine anyone bringing Vercetti across as well as him.

TLDR? Vercetti took no sh*t, bowed to no one and was propelled to GTA legend by some terrific voice acting.

• Tycek and ROCKSTAR MANIC like this

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

I think he feels like the most competent protagonist. All of the other protagonists have their screw ups, but Tommy has always seemed like the most street smart, the most sure of himself. He's also a complete badass, and of all protagonists, he's the one who ended up with the most influence in his city.

A big part of what makes Tommy Vercetti fun to play is just how easily he earns the respect of the people around him. Cortez and Avery compliment his skill and how quick on the uptake he is, Umberto and Mitch consider him a brother, and even Diaz talks about how much more reliable he is compared to the other people he has working for him. With the exception of Auntie Poulet, every mission giver in the game ends up dead or Tommy's ally. It might be a bit idealistic compared to the other games, but it always made you feel really good to play someone the other characters think so highly of.

And of course, Ray Liotta did an awesome job on the voice acting.

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Soldier

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

The fact that most VC fanboys hate "III", "SA" and IV shows that what I said in post #2 is correct.
They always want a "Colorful vibrant" game.

What? How did you confirmed this? Not true man, me for example. My favorite is Vice City, then San Andreas, then IV and then goes the rest.

SJH1991
  • SJH1991

Scotland's finest

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:06 AM

Complete badass, perfect setting with a perfect soundtrack to go with it. Ray Liotta voicing him as well obviously tops it

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:46 AM

Every poll I see, Niko's on top.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:51 AM

I still think Tommy is awesome, but I've kind of grown out of those sort of characters. Really he's quite flat and 1 dimensional. Niko takes the cake for me.

Tommy was when I was a teenager.

Prince Gumball
  • Prince Gumball

I don't want to live on this planet anymore

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:27 AM

Ray Liotta.

nobum62
  • nobum62

douchebag who owns a chromed zentorno

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:25 AM

i liked how he built a f*cking empire in vice city, but that's about it....

still better than trevor though

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username™

• Members
  • India

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:37 AM Edited by AceKingston, 05 January 2014 - 05:39 AM.

Tommy was ruthless, I think that's what made him stand out from other protagonists, he accepted the truth and faced his enemies without any fear or regret. Compare him with any other GTA protagonist and you'll see what I mean. If he faced betrayal he didn't take it like CJ, he just went on with the kill. Even Niko would be shocked if he saw signs of betrayal but Tommy. was and is really different from the other GTA protagonists, although VC was heavily inspired off Scarface, I'd like to compare him to Michael Corelone from The Godfather.

Although personally Niko is my favorite. Tommy will always hold a special place in my heart though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users