GTA III's map > GTA Vice City's map
  • Ya Boy Claude likes this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

For its time, Vice City was much more fresh and better experience than V is now, in my opinion. Even if you're not blinded by nostalgia, it's still a great game to play nowadays.

In many ways, V is still just side-stepping and even regression. While VC, SA and IV all moved the series forward in one direction or other, V doesn't push the series forward, except the switching mechanic, which itself isn't much more than improvement on IV and its Episodes. When you look at GTAs competitors, such as Saints Row and Assassin's Creed - both of those series are not afraid to turn the whole concept around. I'm not saying next GTA protagonist should have superpowers and sail across Carribean, but GTA should also make significant changes to keep the experience fresh. Just a complex system of optional heists to partake in or return of empire building system would be enough to make V truly different from previous games.

In the end, that's the whole point. Vice City is different from San Andreas and San Andreas is different from IV. V is just previous GTAs smashed together, while still lacking many things that made previous GTAs great. There is still a reason to play VC and enjoy it. I don't feel that way about V. It's been long since I've seen Yahtzee's V review, but I think he ended it with saying (I'm paraphrasing): "There is nothing bad about V, but there isn't anything it does particulary well either". V is just a blur, while many of VC's parts still shine.

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

. When you look at GTAs competitors, such as Saints Row and Assassin's Creed

Assassin's creed? You mean the game series that ruined it's story at III? The new features are fine and all, but I wouldn't call it a competitor of GTA. You can't even kill civvies in that game without getting desyncronised and having to start from the last checkpoint. :lol:

Saint's row will never beat GTA, especially after SR the third, which was utter crap. SR 4 was even worse...

OT: As for the map size, VC's map may have been "two grove streets", but it was still a good game, infact, VC is still my favourite GTA game. GTA V is a close 2nd.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

^ In history of GTA F, an LSPD officer confronts SFPD officer. 

OT: Vice city Map is the best as it could in such a short span of development.

• Tashan, Andreas, Detective Phelps and 1 other like this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

^ In history of GTA F, an LSPD officer confronts SFPD officer. 

OT: Vice city Map is the best as it could in such a short span of development.

:lol:

Yes, the map was good, considering that the game came out one year after III.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

Assasin's Creed - the Red Hot Chilli Peppers of the gaming world. What do you mean Fuzz?

Well, RHCP achieved international fame with the album BloodSugarSexMagic. Every single album they've released since then has been, basically, the same, but with different song titles. 

Assassin's Creed, and its hugely cynical annual release schedule, has become exactly that - a once-a-year, vaguely entertaining, but largely dull and repetitive experience. I used to love AC. It died when they spat out a THIRD Ezio game, thus proving that they're only in it for the money. 

Whilst it has added incremental changes, they're all so minor that they aren't of any value. 

GTA V, and IV, both stepped up the game in scope and scale. Yes, it could be argued that they didn't revolutionise the series, but they did expand it. They made everything bigger, grander and yet on a tiny detail level, also stepped up the game. Neither of them changed things particularly, they just added more to them. 

For its time, yes, VC was a very good game. Was it a better game? Hard to compare really. For its time, V is an incredibly impressive game. It has graphics on par with some of the new gen games, it has more cars and buildings and... etc etc. Did it change gaming forever? No, of course it didn't. Did VC? Not at all. It was, to my mind, little more than a big expansion for GTA III. San An was the only one that really changed the face of gaming, and even that is showing its age rather badly.

• stobe187 likes this

Pooyan Cyrus
  • Pooyan Cyrus

Drake stole my notebook :(

• Members
  • Mars
  • Helpfulness Award [Concepts]
    Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

V > SA > IV > III and LCS > VC
  • Fuzzknuckles and Lowi like this

stobe187
  • stobe187

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Assassins Creed series pushing boundaries and turning the whole concept around? Give me a f*cking break. That's the funniest sh*t you've said yet.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

. When you look at GTAs competitors, such as Saints Row and Assassin's Creed

Assassin's creed? You mean the game series that ruined it's story at III? The new features are fine and all, but I wouldn't call it a competitor of GTA. You can't even kill civvies in that game without getting desyncronised and having to start from the last checkpoint. :lol:

Saint's row will never beat GTA, especially after SR the third, which was utter crap. SR 4 was even worse...

OT: As for the map size, VC's map may have been "two grove streets", but it was still a good game, infact, VC is still my favourite GTA game. GTA V is a close 2nd.

I love THIS Comment.Bro you read my mind Lol.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:35 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 03 January 2014 - 12:35 PM.

GTA=The King of the Openworld Genre,The Best-Selling Openworld Franchise of all time(#5 of the best selling openworld Franchise)it as the Greatest Cultural impact in the openworld Genre,with GTA 3 Revolutionising and Popularising the Genre Forever,with a 16 years old Lifespan,15 games,3 Generations and 150ml copies worldwide.GTA 5 1bn in 72hrs(3days) is the fastest selling entertainment property of all(f*cking)time.

Saints Row=A GTA Clone which started as a gang theme rip-off of (GTA San Andreas),went dildo style,then president and the aliens and superpower,It not even in the top 50 best-selling game franchise.FYI it doesnt have nothing on GTA,plus it as a 7 years lifespan and started on this gen(xb360 and Ps3).It the Stupidity of the genre

Assassins Creeds=The most annualised sh*t ever created with restrictive gameplay and also started on xb360 and Ps3 it not in the top 50.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:43 PM Edited by Osho, 03 January 2014 - 12:45 PM.

For those fine with the map but don't like the graphics, here's a nice solution. This is perhaps the only mod that's still alive compared to other popular mods no longer in progress

Vice Cry

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

For those fine with the map but don't like the graphics, here's a nice solution. This is perhaps the only mod that's still alive compared to other popular mods no longer in progress

Vice Cry

No amount of graphical tweaking can make up for the fact that the map itself is very, very empty and bland, in comparison to the modern games. Yes, we're looking at games a generation apart (both chronologically and the consoles they're on) but the map is still pretty much empty. And flat. SO flat. 

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Vice Cry

No amount of graphical tweaking can make up for the fact that the map itself is very, very empty and bland, in comparison to the modern games. Yes, we're looking at games a generation apart (both chronologically and the consoles they're on) but the map is still pretty much empty. And flat. SO flat. 

Still, VC had a mall to enter and have shootouts, and drive the infernus around. :p

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

Actually, yeah, the mall is probably the thing I remember most fondly from VC. That, and the first time you get your hands on a Caddy. Dang, I spent too much time recreating moments from Jackass in that thing. 

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

Vice Cry

good lord...I am just sharing for those people interested in some graphical changes. It has nothing to do with maps or those bitching about it.

I am reaching out to the neutral folks!

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

Does anybody remember that theme that used to play in the West Point Mall?

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:02 PM Edited by Osho, 03 January 2014 - 01:05 PM.

west or north point mall?

• tom_p1980 and Tashan like this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:02 PM Edited by Los Santos Police Department, 03 January 2014 - 01:05 PM.

Does anybody remember that theme that used to play in the West Point Mall?

If you're referring to the north point mall, hell yeah!

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Vice Cry

good lord...I am just sharing for those people interested in some graphical changes. It has nothing to do with maps or those bitching about it.

I am reaching out to the neutral folks!

And I'm not stopping you from doing that, I'm just commenting on your link. Good lord. 

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:34 PM Edited by Official General, 03 January 2014 - 02:38 PM.

Vice city didn't need online to be successful

Vice city didn't need ''beautiful graphics'' to sell the game

Vice city wasn't watered down. The game was about having as much fun as possible. I don't get that feeling from V

Vice city's storyline destroys V's is not even a question. 

Better characters

Better music

Better overall feeling and vibe

Vice cities map have been small but it was compact. Their wasn't a section of map that went to waste. V is great I love how big it is but at the same time I would have loved it if they made it smaller like vice city so every part of the map can be used and serve a purpose. V has tons of wasted map. Imagine a smaller map where you can enter a lot of the buildings ? Imagine a map that is designed soley for the gamers to have fun in. none of this '' it needs to look like LA ''crap make it look similar to LA but a lot more fun to play a video game in.

Pound for pound Vice city decimates V. Vice feels like a fun video game V feels like a movie taking itself way too seriously.

I totally agree with this  :^:

Especially the last sentence which I highlighted. 

You made a great point the Vice City map. Yeah sure, people are looking back it now and making fun of how small it is, I too thought that for it's relatively small size, at least none of it's map went to waste. The fact that it had many interiors for it's size just greatly added to superb feelings of immersion within a small, but brilliantly designed city map. 

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Takes itself too seriously? Those drug hallucinations, the general presence of aliens... I don't see it. 

at least none of it's map went to waste. 

Please don't think I'm singling you out here, OG, but seriously... That's just insane.

The golf course. Empty. The beach. Empty. The building site. Empty. 

The beach, in particular, was just barren. Sure, great for running a BF Injection end-to-end, but that's about it. And it's one half of one entire island. That, right there, is a huge waste of space. One half of an entire island. And there's very little else on that island. 

GTA III, however... not a single square inch of that map is wasted space. Same for GTA IV. Maybe it's a Liberty City thing, but in both LC based games (and LCS, of course) the map is crammed with buildings and tightly packed streets. 

I'm starting to think I'm going to have to play VC again and see if I can understand this reverence for the map. 

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

The best answer to the topic is that big golden shiny lock!!..

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Why lock an interesting discussion?

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

Takes itself too seriously? Those drug hallucinations, the general presence of aliens... I don't see it. 

at least none of it's map went to waste. 

Please don't think I'm singling you out here, OG, but seriously... That's just insane.

The golf course. Empty. The beach. Empty. The building site. Empty. 

The beach, in particular, was just barren. Sure, great for running a BF Injection end-to-end, but that's about it. And it's one half of one entire island. That, right there, is a huge waste of space. One half of an entire island. And there's very little else on that island. 

GTA III, however... not a single square inch of that map is wasted space. Same for GTA IV. Maybe it's a Liberty City thing, but in both LC based games (and LCS, of course) the map is crammed with buildings and tightly packed streets. 

I'm starting to think I'm going to have to play VC again and see if I can understand this reverence for the map. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the GTA V map. The scenery and environments look stunning and feel incredible. But the truth is, I just felt quite a bit of it went to waste. The wilderness areas could have been done much better - there was no extensive patch of proper forest or arid, semi-desert. The wildlife in the wilderness areas was also very mediocre and near enough poor. Underwater was nice, but there was not much to do or see therem and after a while it kinda looked a bit bland - there was hardly any vibrant sea life.

There could have been more medium or smaller towns with more vibrancy and things to do with in them, maybe even a second major city at least. If the whole map was gonna be that big, Los Santos should have been bigger, as nice as it looked. East LS was just industrial areas, which is very inaccurate, as East LA is well-known for it's huge Hispanic ghettos and residential areas. LS in general should have had more suburbs and working-class residential areas, and the hood should have been bigger. 

There was huge chunks of land on V's map with not much going on.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

I feel sad to see Vice City being compared top to bottom.. :-(
Leave the game alone!!..

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Everyone read this new IGN article: http://m.ie.ign.com/...of-play-in-2014

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love the GTA V map. The scenery and environments look stunning and feel incredible. But the truth is, I just felt quite a bit of it went to waste. The wilderness areas could have been done much better - there was no extensive patch of proper forest or arid, semi-desert. The wildlife in the wilderness areas was also very mediocre and near enough poor. Underwater was nice, but there was not much to do or see therem and after a while it kinda looked a bit bland - there was hardly any vibrant sea life.

There could have been more medium or smaller towns with more vibrancy and things to do with in them, maybe even a second major city at least. If the whole map was gonna be that big, Los Santos should have been bigger, as nice as it looked. East LS was just industrial areas, which is very inaccurate, as East LA is well-known for it's huge Hispanic ghettos and residential areas. LS in general should have had more suburbs and working-class residential areas, and the hood should have been bigger. 

I really think we need to look into whether there's a game out there that's JUST about gang banging and thug life that we can stick in front of you, because that seems to be all you're interested in. 

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:56 PM Edited by Official General, 03 January 2014 - 03:58 PM.

I really think we need to look into whether there's a game out there that's JUST about gang banging and thug life that we can stick in front of you, because that seems to be all you're interested in. 

Where in my last post did I say anything like that ? 

And do not respond with some smart-ass bullsh*t, I want you to point out facts that show I said anything like this. 

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

Ack. I just typed up a long ass response to this and my browser froze. f*ck it. 

I give in, you win. At everything. Except missing mini-games *runs away*

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:09 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 03 January 2014 - 04:16 PM.

GTA(1997)-The Start of a Legendary Franchise
GTA3(2001)The Breakthrough of a Series(Genre)
GTA Vice City(2002)-The Game that made 80s movies to be turn into games
GTA San Andreas(2004)-The Game that influenced every gangster games
GTA Liberty City Stories(2005)-The Game that influenced many Mafia games
GTA4(2008)-The Revolutionary of HD Openworld Games
GTA EFLC(2009)-Expansions that defines DLCs
GTA 5(2013)-The Big Bang of the Series and Gaming Industry with 1bn in 3days

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users