Photo

I wonder how small the Vice City map is to GTA V

159 replies to this topic
Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

Vice City sounds fun, wish I could try it out myself.

For it's time, Vice City  was not just fun - it was f*cking AMAZINGLY fun and one great experience. 

• Choco Taco and DeafMetal like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

NSA Agent

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

@OfficialGeneral

Did VC really had gang wars or you're involing Aunt Polie's missions? Because I can assure there were never any Gang wars in Vanilla VC, only rampages which consisted of spawning gangs around which never attacked you even if you shot at them, thus making it far easy as hell.

And drug dealing only consisted of getting into an Ice-cream van and selling giggle cream to random people, and all of the sudden cops would raise aware even if you did it in a well known criminal area.

And listing bodyguards as a side activity? I know you honestly can do better than that, that's just sad..

• Fuzzknuckles, DeafMetal, I<3GTAV and 2 others like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

@ Fuzz

Look above, plus the business assets mssion I listed for VC counts as 5.

Looking at the VC list compared to the GTA V list - I'd say the VC list looks much more appealing to me. 

And by the way, nostalgia plays no part in this for me, I can assure you. 

But you will admit that V has more to do than VC, right? The things that V 'lacks' that were in VC never really struck me as adding anything to the game. I have a feeling R* felt the same, so they didn't add them to V. They added other stuff, and more of it. 

Here's something to consider: GTA V is a better game than VC, but you prefer VC, as you say it offers you more. 

I prefer GTA V, as it offers me more. Literally MORE.

So, who is right when someone calls one game or the other better? No one. But here we are, like we are every f*cking week, making the same arguments and countering with the same points. 

The only way to win is to not play. 

• SuburbansWorst likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:20 PM Edited by Official General, 02 January 2014 - 08:21 PM.

@OfficialGeneral

Did VC really had gang wars or you're involing Aunt Polie's missions? Because I can assure there were never any Gang wars in Vanilla VC, only rampages which consisted of spawning gangs around which never attacked you even if you shot at them, thus making it far easy as hell.

And drug dealing only consisted of getting into an Ice-cream van and selling giggle cream to random people, and all of the sudden cops would raise aware even if you did it in a well known criminal area.

And listing bodyguards as a side activity? I know you honestly can do better than that, that's just sad..

That's rich coming from you. You have just tried to tell a blatant lie that Vice City had only 31 missions, when it is a known fact it had 51, and I'm sure you knew that it did.

VC had gang wars in it's own way. Whenever you bought a business in rival gang territory, your Mafia guys would protect it, and anytime Cuban or Haitian gang members went near it, there would be shootouts in the streets between Tommy's gunmen and the rival gangs.

The bottom line I made was that you claimed VC had a sh*t side mission that involved Tommy selling ice cream, when this was not true at all, he was selling drugs, which made it much more interesting and serious than selling ice cream. Cops would come after you and rival gangs too. 

Armed bodyguards could follow you around and that added much more fun to the side missions, just like Dwayne's boys in GTA V for Niko. It is still a fun activity, of course I can include it.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

OK, I'm just going to put this out there:

This thread is about the size of the VC map. We've all played the 'provide stats about the games and shake our willlys about' mini-game. We're not going to through the personal attack thing. 

Back on topic, please. 

The VC map was very small, it had very few buildings. It had a large wasted area, the golf course. It had an empty building site, which was several stacked girders. The beach that ran the entire length of the map was empty, apart from a lighthouse at one end.

HEY! Score one for VC: at least you could enter the lighthouse and get that cool effect from running up the stairs quickly. V's lighthouses? Nada. Look! Balance is sort of restored in the thread. 

ChrilLe
  • ChrilLe

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

How far the series has moved since 2002...

Vice city's map was amazing. Nobody had a problem with it. But people have a problem with V's map size for some reason.

I actually wish the GTA 5 map was bigger.

Gta_V_Fan_101
  • Gta_V_Fan_101

My posts are brought to you by Chuckola Cola Drinks.

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:33 PM Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101, 02 January 2014 - 08:41 PM.

@OfficialGeneral

Can you name some of those activities? I barely remember any, all I remember is Rampages and Vigilante, plus shooting range if I can recall.

Oh yeah and safehouse propeties weren't accesible nor the story was that really long (31 missions)

OT:

Vice City is probably the size of of Sandy shores and Paleto bay.

Vice City had 51 missions, and not 31, where did you get such bullsh*t info from ? And 51 missions was quite long for it's time, and also when you consider how small the map is. Either you're just straight up lying or you're greatly misinformed (I personally think you lied). 

Vice City had the following activities and side missions :

* Buying safehouse properties- Weren't included in V

* Business assets side missions  This actually counts as more than one, it's around 5 (import/export car theft, selling drugs to gain customers, violent rival taxicab company wars etc)- Included in V since you can buy businesses

* Drug-dealing-These weren't included in V but then again, they wouldn't have made sense if they were included since it wouldn't fit ANY of the characters' stories.

* Assassinations- Lester's assassinations are included which are pretty much the same as VC's assassinations

* Robbing stores/hold-ups- Included in V

* Gang Wars- Same as drug dealing

* Rampages- Included but you might have missed them since you chose ending A

* Vigilante- These weren't included but tbh, they weren't that awesome either. Just "Drive here, shoot the criminal" type of missions which became boring quickly

* Destruction Derby Car competition- Weren't included in V

* Racing- Included in V and also added variety because of seashark and off-road races

* Armed bodyguards- Weren't included in V

* Stunts- Included in V as Stunt Jumps

* Shooting Range- Included in V

* Off-roading- These weren't included but they were just missions which you needed to drive around quickly. Became old quickly

* Pizza delivery- Yeah these were boring. Admit it.

* Taxi driver- Included in V

* Firefighter- Weren't included.

* Paramedic- Weren't included

* Strip club-Included in V and made more interactive

@Fuzz

Just saw your post but I didn't want my 10 minutes of typing to go to waste so, sorry.

On topic: I think VC would fit about the size of Vinewood Hills.

• Fuzzknuckles and Bonnano like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

NSA Agent

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

@OfficialGeneral

I just went to the wikia, there are 38 main storyline missions in GTA VC. Not 51, 38 so you're lying to your ownself.

And about the Gang wars thing, you don't have any involvement in it so it's not a side activity, that's just how NPCs reacted back then because they were set in specific gangs.

Gang1,Gang2,Gang3,Gang4,Gangetc..

The cops in the game would even chase security guards because they were set as NPCs in a gang just like the soldiers in the Fort Baxter Air base. So saying they were protecting is just a way of looking at it, they didn't basically protect it but by instinct each gang tends to shoot eachother with apparently no provocation, even if they're on their own respective territory.

Oh and yeah they were a Little bonus after you got 100%, basically they don't offer anything else than protecting and don't even count as a side activity.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

Just for fun, here's a little comparison.

gta_nostalgic_sunrise.jpg

GTA-V-beach-bum-pack.jpg

Now, I KNOW that we're talking about games 10+ years apart and the consoles are extremely different, but seriously, just look at that. Just take it in for a second. 

VC was fun, but so empty. Even III, with it's tightly packed little islands, felt more alive and realistic than Vice ever did. Even with its lack of side activities. Vice always felt rushed to me, like they were aiming for an annual release schedule. It felt like it should have had more city, more buildings, more everything. But that's just me, maybe my old man memory is playing tricks on me. 

• Bonnano and Gta_V_Fan_101 like this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:43 PM Edited by DeafMetal, 02 January 2014 - 08:44 PM.

Vice city's map was amazing. Nobody had a problem with it. But people have a problem with V's map size for some reason.

Back then, the premise was still fresh. Now people have gotten entitled and whinny: we've entered the hand-holding generation that expects the game developers to draw out everything for them. I've probably played more VC than I have SA (1000s of hours on both) even with that small-ass map. I've never even 100% it, I was just really enjoying and putting to full usage the sandbox that was given to me. Hell, I have 40 hours on VCS on the playthrough I started mid December, and I'm only at around halfway through the story.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

@ Tenxax and Fuzz

Don't wanna go in circles I've already been in before many times. I just think Vice City was a better game than GTA V for it's time, in pretty much every way.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

NSA Agent

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

@OfficialGeneral

Just admit you had been defeated buddy, VC was good for it's time but now it doesn't even hold a chance against V.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

@ Tenxax and Fuzz

Don't wanna go in circles I've already been in before many times. I just think Vice City was a better game than GTA V for it's time, in pretty much every way.

Fair enough.

For its time, it was definitely a very good game. Like I say, I played the sh*t out of it. I just don't have anywhere near as much fondness for it now I've breathed in some of the HD era. 

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

@OfficialGeneral

Just admit you had been defeated buddy, VC was good for it's time but now it doesn't even hold a chance against V.

Nothing to admit bro. It still don't change anything for me, you talk about niceties of GTA V all you want.  I still feel V was a bit of a letdown, even though it was a great game in some parts. I did not feel that way with Vice City, VC completely blew me away with amazement, it was the game that made me hooked on the GTA series even more. I just cannot say the same for V, and that's the truth. 

@ Fuzz

Don't get it twisted, it's not like I will go back to playing VC or even SA. I'm too used to HD tech for that, hence why I always stress that these games were better than V for their respective times. 

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

Well its quite small now. But it was the biggest and the best city in 3d era. :^:

120948031-4.jpg

Hahahha, that beach! And people are complaining about the lack of things to do in V's countryside? Amazing. 

Hahaha! They had over ten years to fix that.

MonsterCockDude
  • MonsterCockDude

Over 8 inches BPEL of meat.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:05 AM

Just for fun, here's a little comparison.

gta_nostalgic_sunrise.jpg

GTA-V-beach-bum-pack.jpg

Now, I KNOW that we're talking about games 10+ years apart and the consoles are extremely different, but seriously, just look at that. Just take it in for a second. 

VC was fun, but so empty. Even III, with it's tightly packed little islands, felt more alive and realistic than Vice ever did. Even with its lack of side activities. Vice always felt rushed to me, like they were aiming for an annual release schedule. It felt like it should have had more city, more buildings, more everything. But that's just me, maybe my old man memory is playing tricks on me. 

@OfficialGeneral

Nothing to admit bro. It still don't change anything for me, you talk about niceties of GTA V all you want.  I still feel V was a bit of a letdown, even though it was a great game in some parts. I did not feel that way with Vice City, VC completely blew me away with amazement, it was the game that made me hooked on the GTA series even more. I just cannot say the same for V, and that's the truth. 

@ Fuzz

Don't get it twisted, it's not like I will go back to playing VC or even SA. I'm too used to HD tech for that, hence why I always stress that these games were better than V for their respective times. 

Vice City was a 12 year old video game, by the time it came out hardly any GTA clones had even existed, and the whole free roaming in 3d that GTA 3 had was revolutionary, of course GTA V won't look as impressive in it's time, because a lot of the concepts have already been done.

It doesn't mean that GTA V is not a good improvement for the series, and another step in the right direction.

Khaos89
  • Khaos89

Has a small willy

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

Well its quite small now. But it was the biggest and the best city in 3d era. :^:

120948031-4.jpg

Christ, it felt huge back in the day.

• visionist likes this

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:16 AM Edited by I<3GTAV, 03 January 2014 - 12:16 AM.

The vibrancy and color of Vice City probably won't be matched by any future GTA, it's a great map in it's own right.

• visionist likes this

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:31 AM Edited by im_stoned, 03 January 2014 - 12:40 AM.

Vice city didn't need online to be successful

Vice city didn't need ''beautiful graphics'' to sell the game

Vice city wasn't watered down. The game was about having as much fun as possible. I don't get that feeling from V

Vice city's storyline destroys V's is not even a question. 

Better characters

Better music

Better overall feeling and vibe

Vice cities map have been small but it was compact. Their wasn't a section of map that went to waste. V is great I love how big it is but at the same time I would have loved it if they made it smaller like vice city so every part of the map can be used and serve a purpose. V has tons of wasted map. Imagine a smaller map where you can enter a lot of the buildings ? Imagine a map that is designed soley for the gamers to have fun in. none of this '' it needs to look like LA ''crap make it look similar to LA but a lot more fun to play a video game in.

Pound for pound Vice city decimates V. Vice feels like a fun video game V feels like a movie taking itself way too seriously.

• Official General likes this

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:36 AM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 03 January 2014 - 12:38 AM.

Quality, not quantity ;)

and please explain to me how Vice City has more quality than Los Santos? 

As far as people debating which game is better vice city is a classic but if i played Through both today which one would i enioy more? V 

• Bonnano likes this

QUEEN--ROCKS
  • QUEEN--ROCKS

GTAF Commissioner

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

I would be very interested to see Vice City redone in the same way as Liberty City and San Andreas.  Granted, I do think it's time Rockstar created a new city.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

I would be very interested to see Vice City redone in the same way as Liberty City and San Andreas.  Granted, I do think it's time Rockstar created a new city.

I see them doing two spin-offs set in two New U.S locations before GTA 6 on next-gen

MonsterCockDude
  • MonsterCockDude

Over 8 inches BPEL of meat.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

Vice city wasn't watered down. The game was about having as much fun as possible. I don't get that feeling from V

Vice city's storyline destroys V's is not even a question. 

Vice cities map have been small but it was compact. Their wasn't a section of map that went to waste. V is great I love how big it is but at the same time I would have loved it if they made it smaller like vice city so every part of the map can be used and serve a purpose V has tons of wasted map. Imagine a smaller map where you can enter a lot of the buildings ? Imagine a map is designed soley for the gamer to have fun in. none of this '' it needs to look like la crap'' make it look similar to la but a lot more fun to play a video game in

Pound for pound Vice city decimates V. Vice feels like a fun video game V feels like a movie taking itself way too seriously.

Yeah at the time that Vice City came out, internet was just getting started in mainstream console games, so of course it didn't need online at the time.

The gameplay, AI, graphics, animations, environment physics... all were very low in terms of detail and in being realistic, complex, or fun compared to games now ( which is to be expected for a game that is over 10 years old ) but at the same time your standards were much lower for video games back then compared to now as well.

If you play Vice City, and then play GTA III these days, you can see how old and dated it feels, and see that Vice City didn't really add much new to the game, but at that time just the fact that you were able to free roam, or had a city like that in a free roaming game, was new and considered amazing in it's own right.

• Tacymist and Gta_V_Fan_101 like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:44 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 03 January 2014 - 12:45 AM.

Everyone pls take time and read this new article: http://m.edge-online...r-game-of-2013/

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:47 AM Edited by im_stoned, 03 January 2014 - 12:54 AM.

Quality, not quantity ;)

and please explain to me how Vice City has more quality than Los Santos? 

As far as people debating which game is better vice city is a classic but if i played Through both today which one would i enioy more? V 

So you're saying you don't like the main character you play as to have a spine and understand the life he choose and actively embrace it ? none of that crying '' I hate being a criminal bullsh*t'' What about buying property and doing real missions for said property ? V's property '' missions'' don't even count as side missions to me.

What about the tool store ? What about the awesome yet challenging rampages that asked you to kill 20 gang members with a knife ? What about VCPR ? What about the overall '' im living in heavan no one can stop me'' feeling you have playing as tommy ?

You put all that stuff with modern graphics and I know what i'd be playing !!!!! It's not a question.

What does V have honestly..... A big map, Amazing graphics,  It's more realistic ( I personally find that boring) and yeah... what else is their really ? Hell if you take trevor out of the game V would really be f*cked his the only reason people including myself like the storyline. That's not coming from me asking people online that comes from the real life streets when I ask people. Without trevor V's story would sink that's a fact  

I'M NOT SAYING I HATE V. i'm just saying you take away it's '' amour'' that's only their because of that time it's made ( grahpics/ physics)  and it's just another game. Not saying I don't like it but to compare it to vice city is wrong IMO. Vice city was made when gameplay/fun was all that mattered not online, not the graphics and most newcomers wont understand that

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

Even if VC's map is small I feel like it has more personality and character than GTA V's map does. Size isn't everything. It's exact reason why I think SA's map is boring also. I give GTA V's map the benefit of being far more detailed however.

VC was/is a great game considering it was made in just a year. GTA V had a lot more development time on superior hardware and it arguably regressed from GTA IV in more ways than VC did from GTA III. Basically every niggling annoyance from GTA III was fixed in VC with the exception of not being able to swim.

I still regard VC as the best GTA III era GTA and it's second for me just behind GTA IV. it's shame this great game gets ridiculed for its map size though. :/

stobe187
  • stobe187

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:38 AM

Vice cities map have been small but it was compact. Their wasn't a section of map that went to waste. V is great I love how big it is but at the same time I would have loved it if they made it smaller like vice city so every part of the map can be used and serve a purpose. V has tons of wasted map. Imagine a smaller map where you can enter a lot of the buildings ? Imagine a map that is designed soley for the gamers to have fun in. none of this '' it needs to look like LA ''crap make it look similar to LA but a lot more fun to play a video game in.

You have to remember that there is ten years between the releases, and there is a lot that has changed since then – the needs of the gaming community, the technical abilities and connectivity.

When VC came out online was not remotely a big priority, at least not for consoles.

So let me get this right: we are talking about a franchise that has always been behind the curve visually and now that V has raised the bar it gets sh*t on for doing just that? You could also argue "V didn't need beautiful graphics" to sell the game. So in essence, I think that argument is ridiculous.

The4orTy67
  • The4orTy67

Spieler Hasser

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:01 AM

Still a better game than GTA V.
  • Miamivicecity likes this

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:17 AM

Vice City is probably my least favorite in the 3D era: the city was sh*t, it had weird sound effects, the animations were sh*t (Tommy sprinting animation was so stupid, and his walking was really sissy), the antagonist barely appeared in the story, etc.

It probably had a better story than V and the greatest soundtrack in the franchise, I'll give it that.

Sorry for my little rant.

OT: the map was always crap for me, even "back in the day". Coming from a guy who played GTA III to death, I was really disappointed with the map.

Narrow and small. That's all I can think of. And no, not quality, in my opinion.

• Tacymist and Gta_V_Fan_101 like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:28 AM

Both Games are great,they are both in the GTA family.and read this article: http://m.edge-online...r-game-of-2013/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users