159 replies to this topic
Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

True that, Raavi.

That said, I grew up playing the Atari 2600 and the C64. I'm entitled to my spoiled-ness after years of games with no game in them. 

I grew up playing the PS1 and N64, those were the golden days. :p

Same here. Still playing them too, via emulators lol.

Hangover
  • Hangover

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

gta v still is shockingly small

United_Stealth
  • United_Stealth

Scooter brother

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Well its quite small now. But it was the biggest and the best city in 3d era. :^:

-huge ass pic of vc-

Hahahha, that beach! And people are complaining about the lack of things to do in V's countryside? Amazing. 

lol, yeah, let's all start complaining about the beach in VC now!

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

No, it is not.

• Matty and Albert Kike like this

stobe187
  • stobe187

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

No, it is not.

It is and it isn't. It's small when compared to many other open world franchises. But it is huge when you look at how much they've managed to expand the size of the map in 10 years while still retaining (and in many cases, upping) the level of detail and a sort of "hand-picked" touch to every building and locale.

Building the map is the biggest hurdle in making a GTA game as they've stated multiple times. Making it the size of Just Cause 2 while still keeping the design and level of detail up there is a nigh-impossible task. Or possible if you have x times V's budget and manpower. Which is just not feasible in any way.

So it is "shockingly" small if you pit it up against some other open world games mile for mile. But GTA has never been about quantity over quality. I'll take the handcrafted feel of the slightly smaller map over the JC2-style copy&paste trees any day. Let alone have unexplorable areas like Assassins Creed IV where quite a bit of the islands are all trees and no go. Which is complete bullsh*t if you ask me.

• MagzGTA likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

No, it is not.

It depends on what you want. If you want a HUUUUUUGE open world with nothing in it, it's kind of small. 

If you want a richly detailed world that crams minute details in at every opportunity, it's freaking massive. 

• Matty and Detective Phelps like this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

No, it is not.

It depends on what you want. If you want a HUUUUUUGE open world with nothing in it, it's kind of small. 

If you want a richly detailed world that crams minute details in at every opportunity, it's freaking massive. 

That''s the best way of saying it, I guess.

I wanted a detailed map anyway, so I'm fine with it.

Pepperjack
  • Pepperjack

Reasonably

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

2. Story. If there is one GTA that shows a true and unique Gangster story then hands down it's got to be this game.

I got nothing against vice city and nothing against it story, but unique? It was basically a spoof on scarface..

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

All 3D era games have been spoofs  homages to the great Hollywood crime capers. There's nothing original in the stories in GTAV, it's all about the presentation. 

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Still a better game, though.

hhamzah99
  • hhamzah99

Call me.. Heisenberg.

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

All 3D era games have been spoofs  homages to the great Hollywood crime capers. There's nothing original in the stories in GTAV, it's all about the presentation. 

what movie was san andreas?

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

what movie was san andreas?

Well, starting with the first section of the game:

Boyz n the Hood. Menace II Society. Friday. etc etc etc (I won't list all of the 90s gangsta/hood movies that it references, as we don't have infinite time and space)

Second section? Primarily Bullitt, because of the SF location. 

Third section? Those awful Ocean... heist movies, mainly. 

When we return to LS in the final act, it could be any redemption movie, really. Guy returns to vanquish bad guy, succeeds.

• drr26 and Bonnano like this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

2. Story. If there is one GTA that shows a true and unique Gangster story then hands down it's got to be this game.

I got nothing against vice city and nothing against it story, but unique? It was basically a spoof on scarface..
Rockstar pulled that spoof (to me they were heavily influenced) in a very well made cool gangster story. It's worthy of being considered "unique" in the series itself. From a mute fool of III to a character voiced superbly that draws you into the world of gangster first time with a flair and style supported by interesting events, missions and characters. As a video game player that time I didn't knew about scarface just like today new players joining the club of GTA won't instantly relate with the past years of gaming.
In short, it's the rising point of GTA series that made a beautiful impression and overall best GTA.
  • visionist likes this

Woll Smoth
  • Woll Smoth

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

Still a better game, though.

This!

• visionist likes this

Gasmasks
  • Gasmasks

Megalomaniac

• Members
  • England

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

When I saw that GTA V was set in San Andreas I genuinely thought that we'd be getting Las Venturas AT LEAST. Turns out we get neither San Fierro or Las Venturas and I won't lie, that did disappoint me. I thought they would have buildings you could go into, character models which got fat/skinny/muscular like GTA:SA had. Over-all I enjoyed GTA V single player but the lack of things to do was disheartening. Then again, they could always improve the size of it.

Looking at those pictures lol, Vice City is TINY compared to GTA V xD That's one positive, at least V's map size isn't that small. Would get terribly boring otherwise. I heard the next GTA is going back to Vice City, I'm really excited to see what they do with it. Let's hope it's better than GTA V and let's hope they don't waste time with another GTA:Online and stick to making an epic story mode. I don't want the SP ruined in favour of some disgusting attempt at a multiplayer GTA ever again.

• visionist and IGhostUlt like this

TheTruthOnly
  • TheTruthOnly

Thug

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

When I saw that GTA V was set in San Andreas I genuinely thought that we'd be getting Las Venturas AT LEAST. Turns out we get neither San Fierro or Las Venturas and I won't lie, that did disappoint me. I thought they would have buildings you could go into, character models which got fat/skinny/muscular like GTA:SA had. Over-all I enjoyed GTA V single player but the lack of things to do was disheartening. Then again, they could always improve the size of it.

Looking at those pictures lol, Vice City is TINY compared to GTA V xD That's one positive, at least V's map size isn't that small. Would get terribly boring otherwise. I heard the next GTA is going back to Vice City, I'm really excited to see what they do with it. Let's hope it's better than GTA V and let's hope they don't waste time with another GTA:Online and stick to making an epic story mode. I don't want the SP ruined in favour of some disgusting attempt at a multiplayer GTA ever again.

GTA Online just started with V content, it's a separate game that will be constantly developed, even after next GTA.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

Anyone ever done a comparison hahaha, I bet it's the size of Mount Chilead!

I made a comaparison between all GTA maps 
YsJFgqg.jpg

The Evolution of the 3 Locations are so mindblowing,from the Original GTA back in 1997 till now.I have a feeling Rockstar would re-imagine Alderney State in a future GTA and maybe a bit of Liberty City

Jeff Nesteruk
  • Jeff Nesteruk

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Weren't the roads on GTA V a lot bigger?

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

Quality, not quantity ;)

This indeed  :^:

The OP can laugh about this subject matter all that he wants, but Vice City was still a much better game than GTA V for it's time.

VC is like 11 years old and it has a very small map, but......it still has relatively more interiors, more and better side missions, better story, better protagonist/characters, and better gameplay features like being able to buy safehouse properties. GTA V is only 4 months old, uses advanced HD console technology and still is lacking many things that VC has. I really don't see the joke on this one. 

• visionist and BlackDy-No-Mite like this

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

Vice City ain't a Nice City

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Quality, not quantity ;)

The OP can laugh about this subject matter all that he wants, but Vice City was still a much better game than GTA V for it's time.

VC is like 11 years old and it has a very small map, but......it still has relatively more interiors, more and better side missions, better story, better protagonist/characters, and better gameplay features like being able to buy safehouse properties. GTA V is only 4 months old, uses advanced HD console technology and still is lacking many things that VC has. I really don't see the joke on this one. 

This is one of the few times I agree with you. The quality of the story of GTA Vice City has yet to be surpassed. My only wish is that we see a HD Vice City one day.

• Official General likes this

jptawok
  • jptawok

Lester the Molestor

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

Rename this thread: General Map Complaints and move it to the general forum imo.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

BMRF SECURITY

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

@OfficialGeneral

Can you name some of those activities? I barely remember any, all I remember is Rampages and Vigilante, plus shooting range if I can recall.

Oh yeah and safehouse propeties weren't accesible nor the story was that really long (31 missions)

OT:

Vice City is probably the size of of Sandy shores and Paleto bay.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

I always had a problem with VC's map. Those skinny turd islands, that beach. Map wise, it was a pour follow up of GTA III imo. The game itself did introduce a lot of great features though, it just had a weak map with a nice mall.

• Cutter De Blanc and Ciaran like this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:25 PM Edited by Los Santos Police Department, 02 January 2014 - 07:26 PM.

Can you name some of those activities? I barely remember any, all I remember is Rampages and Vigilante, plus shooting range if I can recall.

Firetruck, Paramedic, Taxi driver, dirt ring, races, Business missions, assassinations, RC vehicle missions, Pizza delivery missions and you could rob stores as well! There might be a few more side activities as well that I haven't listed.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

BMRF SECURITY

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

Didn't some bussiness missions count as storyline ones? Some of them were quite good but the other were sh*tty (If I recall selling ice cream and watching a hooker dance for 3 minutes with the same animation)

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:51 PM Edited by Official General, 02 January 2014 - 08:02 PM.

@OfficialGeneral

Oh yeah and safehouse propeties weren't accesible nor the story was that really long (31 missions)

OT:

Vice City is probably the size of of Sandy shores and Paleto bay.

Vice City had 51 missions, and not 31, where did you get such bullsh*t info from ? And 51 missions was quite long for it's time, and also when you consider how small the map is. Either you're just straight up lying or you're greatly misinformed (I personally think you lied). 

Vice City had the following activities and side missions :

* Buying safehouse properties 

* Business assets side missions  This actually counts as more than one, it's around 5 (import/export car theft, selling drugs to gain customers, violent rival taxicab company wars etc)

* Drug-dealing

* Assassinations

* Robbing stores/hold-ups

* Gang Wars

* Rampages

* Vigilante

* Destruction Derby Car competition

* Racing

* Armed bodyguards

* Stunts

* Shooting Range

* Off-roading

* Pizza delivery

* Taxi driver

* Firefighter

* Paramedic

* Strip club

I may well even have left some others out. 

I just saw what you stated about selling ice cream. Did you not play the game properly enough to understand what was going on ? Tommy was selling drugs from the ice cream van as front cover for his drug-dealing, he was not selling actual ice cream.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

Quality, not quantity ;)

Lacking what, exactly? Double the number of activities and a very good (if somewhat unstable due to hackers) online mode? Four or five times the number of cars? Ten thousand times as many buildings, with ten times as much variation in them? A functioning economy that you can have an impact on?

Oh yeah, yeah VC had so much more to do than V. 

Vice City: 

• Pizza Boy
  • Paramedic
  • Firefighter
  • Vigilante/Brown Thunder
  • Stadium
  • Top Fun vans
  • Taxi missions
  • 100 collectibles
  • Rampages
  • Stunt Jumps

GTA V:

• Heists (acknowledged as part of story, but could be considered an activity in their own right)
  • Taxi missions
  • Property missions
  • Strangers and Freaks
  • Rampages
  • Letter scraps
  • UFO parts
  • Under the Bridge
  • Knife flights
  • Bail Bonds
  • Random encounters
  • Post-story Epsilon missions
  • Strip Club (debatable that it's an activity as such, but I think we can include this)
  • Booty Calls
  • Tennis
  • Golf
  • Huge variety of character customisation options 
  • Car customisation

The mission content is so vastly more varied than the drive-shoot-steal missions that made up 90% of VC. 

Oh and of course... 

• 3 playable, distinct characters
  • Content creation tools

And let's not forget, this game isn't finished. There will be DLC. That will introduce, I'm certain, more missions, mini-games, customisation options for characters...

VC was a GOOD game for the time. It wasn't a great game. It was fun, I played it to death, but it was always disappointing for me, after the huge wow-factor of III. It had a small, quite dull city. The few interiors that it had were bland, and had very little detailing. 

I could go on, but really, I'm not only boring myself, but I'm wanting to just fire up GTA V and bask in the radiant glory that will burst forth from my big ass TV and bathe me in its warmth. 

As we've discussed at length elsewhere, nostalgia plays a big part in this. For a very large section of the forum, VC was the first GTA they played, and as a result of that, the level of fondness they have for it is going to be huge, as they played it for, what, 2 years before San Andreas came out? It's a skewed measurement. When you've played GTA V for 3 years, when all content has finally been released and you've given everything Online has to offer, you may think differently. 

Then again, you might not. 

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:03 PM Edited by Official General, 02 January 2014 - 08:15 PM.

@ Fuzz

Look above, plus the business assets mssion I listed for VC counts as 5.

Looking at the VC list compared to the GTA V list - I'd say the VC list looks much more appealing to me. 

And by the way, nostalgia plays no part in this for me, I can assure you. 

Ten thousand times as many buildings, with ten times as much variation in them? A functioning economy that you can have an impact on?

GTA V may have had all this, but 10,000 times more buildings than VC, but yet, you cannot enter 95 % of them. LS ust feels like a pretty cardboard city. The economy system in V was nothing special. The stocks and shares was not that great, and you hardly made any money from your businesses, the gap for collecting takings was way too long. VC felt like it had much of an economy system that you felt involved in. 

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

I estimated it to be about 1/4 the size of Los Santos, or about 2x the size of Paleto Bay.  Its been a very long time since I played Vice City so I might be a bit off haha.

sakurablossom
  • sakurablossom

Professional Badass

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

Vice City sounds fun, wish I could try it out myself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users