Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is It Normal for a 14 year old to smoke and drink caffiene?

66 replies to this topic
Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:12 AM

This is why my generation is going to fail. A lot of people think it's cool and "swag" to smoke cigarettes. The things people will do to be popular... I'm NEVER touching that.

What are you talking about?! When I started smoking cigarettes I instantly felt a change. My balls felt weird. Later, my doctor told me that the feeling was caused by the swag. My swag had started to grow because I was smoking cigarettes.

9 years later, I'm the king of the forums and interwebz-fam00s.

Drown yourself in the sea.  :^:  

The term "Swag" is incredibly pathetic and stupid. I remember viewing a picture which had on it "I don't need oxygen. I have swag." Jesus, may the lord help us all.

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Nations

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:16 AM Edited by Melchior, 02 January 2014 - 03:17 AM.

True.

Where do you think you are, son? We don't allow replies like that around here; forum etiquette dictates that when someone makes a reasonable counter-remark, you throw your toys out the pram and call them a shill for the liberal elite.

The term "Swag" is incredibly pathetic and stupid. I remember viewing a picture which had on it "I don't need oxygen. I have swag." Jesus, may the lord help us all.

Hey now, I breathe swag. But then again I also drink cool and eat edgy. 

• I<3GTAV likes this

TensaZangetsu
  • TensaZangetsu

White Shinigami

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:18 AM

This is why my generation is going to fail. A lot of people think it's cool and "swag" to smoke cigarettes. The things people will do to be popular... I'm NEVER touching that.

What are you talking about?! When I started smoking cigarettes I instantly felt a change. My balls felt weird. Later, my doctor told me that the feeling was caused by the swag. My swag had started to grow because I was smoking cigarettes.

My balls always feel weird lol.........iiiin a good way! motsu.jpg

• PaletoChickenCapo likes this

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:24 AM

14 and you're only just starting to smoke? Kids these days.

Anyway f*ck energy drinks, just drink gatorade. It's a good thirst quencher and it'll keep you hydrated. Oh and as for the smoking, that's a bad habit you might one day regret as it'll be a burden on your wallet and the cancer thing can be a bit of a bitch.

But do what you want, I ain't your papa. However in like 30 or 40 years you might find yourself saying "I should've just drank gatorade like that guy on the internet said." So there's something to keep in mind.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:28 AM

I've started to smoke since I was 12 and drink coffee, well... since I was a little kid :whistle: But PLEASE, STOP TO SMOKE WHILE YOU CAN!!! IT'S HORRIBLE! Now I'm addicted to it and I have cancer! Please, don't do it to your health! IS NOT WORTH IT!!

• TensaZangetsu likes this

PaletoChickenCapo
  • PaletoChickenCapo

Gangsta

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:39 AM

Drown yourself in the sea.  :^:  

I can't drown because I have swag. :^:

You're angry cuz you don't understand the world.

The old days was all about oxygen and drowning, but today is about swag. 

.Polar_Bear.
  • .Polar_Bear.

Suave GAYmer

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:44 AM

You're smoking at 14?  You're going to look awful and your dental & lung health will be pretty bad when you reach your twenties.

• Rougarou likes this

Forsas Saltis
  • Forsas Saltis

Povke (my earlier nickname)

• BUSTED!
  • Lithuania

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:07 AM

You're smoking at 14?  You're going to look awful and your dental & lung health will be pretty bad when you reach your twenties.

You don't have lived probably. I know some kids, who start to smoke since the age of 3 (I know one guy exactly).

Thank you, everybody, for the advices. I'll think about that. I'll try to change myself. 1st, I'll try to stop drinking energy drinks. About smoking, I don't smoke actually, just sometimes really rarely and I don't think it's bad to smoke very rarely.

Drake1212
  • Drake1212

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:45 AM Edited by Drake1212, 02 January 2014 - 11:46 AM.

Energy drinks like Redbull doesn't contain much caffeine. The rush from Redbull is mostly caused by psychological reasons (a placebo effect to be precise) and the large amount of sugar in it. So no, the amount of coffeine in Redbull isn't big enough to be unhealthy. A normal cup of coffee contains way more caffeine than a Redbull.
That being said, Redbull is still pretty harmful for your teeth. But a few Redbulls a day probably won't harm you in any way.

As for cigarettetes. I'm not surprised. I know a lot of people who began smoking around the age 10-15. Most of them quitted when they grew older since they discovered they only smoked them because they thought it would make them cool. Others became nicotine addicted and are still smoking.

TL;DR: No, you're not un-normal in any way. You're a kid who enjoys Redbull and (maybe) nicotine. So does a lot of other kids at your age.
But most likely you like these things due to their psychological associations.

Source: Social-philosophy.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Everybody who thinks people smoke cigarettes because it's "cool" are obviously stuck in some 70's timewarp. A fair ammount of the swagfags I know actually call smokers scum.

Either way I smoke and know that there will be some people out there who think I'm an idiot for doing so. Do I care? Not really, since it's been helping keep my stress levels down since I was 15.

If you want to smoke, then do it. If you don't want to smoke, then don't. Because if you spend your life listening to and doing what people tell you to do you're going to remain nothing but a sheep your whole life.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14 - Supralux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

Energy drinks like Redbull doesn't contain much caffeine. The rush from Redbull is mostly caused by psychological reasons (a placebo effect to be precise)

the amount of coffeine in Redbull isn't big enough to be unhealthy.

No. Energy drinks do contain quite a bit of caffeine (32 mg per 100 mls, or 80 mg per 250 mls; coffee is something like 95 mg of caffeine per cup) compared to Coca Cola for example (34 mg of caffeine per 350 mls). The effect of caffeine is real, it can't be placebo since it has the same effect on me every time. If you drink 2 or more cans the effects will be noticeable.

Also, caffeine isn't unhealthy, unless you have caffeine allergy or you consume it in extremely large amounts.

caddymanlnl
  • caddymanlnl

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

You will be regretting the smoking thing in 10 years when you can't run up a flight of stairs without being winded. Very expensive habit as well. I smoked a pack a day for 10 years, at 31 my lungs are 54, and I can't run nearly as long as I used to, it sucks and is not worth it.

Quit while you can.

Drake1212
  • Drake1212

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Energy drinks like Redbull doesn't contain much caffeine. The rush from Redbull is mostly caused by psychological reasons (a placebo effect to be precise)

the amount of coffeine in Redbull isn't big enough to be unhealthy.

No. Energy drinks do contain quite a bit of caffeine (32 mg per 100 mls, or 80 mg per 250 mls; coffee is something like 95 mg of caffeine per cup) compared to Coca Cola for example (34 mg of caffeine per 350 mls). The effect of caffeine is real, it can't be placebo since it has the same effect on me every time. If you drink 2 or more cans the effects will be noticeable.

Also, caffeine isn't unhealthy, unless you have caffeine allergy or you consume it in extremely large amounts.

According to WolframAlpha Redbull contains 74 mg caffeine per 250 mls.
An average cup (WolframAlpha defines a cup as 237 ml) of coffee contains 152 mg of caffeine.
The precise amount can vary depending on brand. Starbucks coffee for example contains 436 mg caffeine per 600 mg.
Source:
http://www.wolframal...eine in redbull
http://www.wolframal...feine in coffee

Note that an average cup of coffee contains over twice as much caffeine as a redbull. However, i do agree, large amount of caffeine isn't dangerous, but doses over 500 mg can cause headaches.

And about me saying caffeine is a placebo effect - no, caffeine's effect is very real, but Redbull contains so small amounts of caffeine that the effect of a Redbull is most likely mostly caused by the placebo effect.
If you dissaprove something having a placebo effect because you can feel the effect, then you're most likely an idiot. The whole point of the placebo effect is that you feel an effect. The effect is mostly psychological and you really have no control of it.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Caffeine?
Hell, everyone who drinks Coca-Cola or coffee under the age of 18 has to be a real criminal. Those are substances for 18-year olds!

And as for smoking, a friend of mine started it at the age of 10 or so. Meaning you could be in a worse state than you currently are. :p

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homeboy

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

if you don't want to have heart attacks very early in your life, stop it.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

Cigarettes could really hinder you development. I smoked weed since I was 15 and mental development slow down. It didn't help that I suffered from anxiety beforehand but it still had an affect.

I have just quit smoking both cannabis and cigarettes and the age of 28. I'm feeling so much better.

High caffeine energy drinks are not good for you either, can affect you body in bad ways again hindering development.

I'd recommend you cut it all out and just be a healthy teenager and enjoy your life.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14 - Supralux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:51 PM Edited by Criѕtian, 02 January 2014 - 02:40 PM.

According to WolframAlpha Redbull contains 74 mg caffeine per 250 mls.

And about me saying caffeine is a placebo effect - no, caffeine's effect is very real, but Redbull contains so small amounts of caffeine that the effect of a Redbull is most likely mostly caused by the placebo effect.
If you dissaprove something having a placebo effect because you can feel the effect, then you're most likely an idiot. The whole point of the placebo effect is that you feel an effect. The effect is mostly psychological and you really have no control of it.

The official site says 80 mg\250 mls. This is pretty much a standard quantity for energy drinks. It's still quite high if you drink more than one a day.

It's not small. It's less than a cup of coffee, but still not small. I doubt that placebo accounts for the effects (unless you have a study to confirm this). I don't think or expect energy drinks to give me energy. I simply drink them for the taste. Even stuff like Coca Cola (which has a lower amount of caffeine) lifts me up.

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:02 PM Edited by D4 Damager, 02 January 2014 - 04:07 PM.

That is complete drivel.

For one, the amount of caffeine needed to stimulate the body is dependent on so many other factors, including size and tolerance. And to label Red Bull as having a small amount of caffeine when it's actually considered to have a high caffeine content by the European Union seems to fly in the face of all logic.

For two Red Bull has been shown in studies to increase cardiovascular function, and various other bodily functions including pain tolerance when compared with placebos. I'll just post a couple of links here for you:

http://link.springer...60170021#page-1

http://chua2.fiu.edu...bes 11-2007.pdf

http://www.google.co...PIyqN5mgT1MkxeA

For three, coffee and red bull are not often consumed at the same rate. Coffee is often drunk over a longer period as it cools, whereas Red Bull is often drunk a lot quicker -- causing a sharper spike in blood caffeine levels. Red Bull also contains more sugar than an equivalent amount of coffee, which will also contribute to effects.

Finally, you have no idea what the placebo effect is, and I'll just drop off one of many links that show that in certain tasks (I'm not claiming it to be a panacea, just showing that you are wrong in many instances) Red Bull outperforms placebo drinks and improves both wakefulness and concentration (here measured through a driving simulator).

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3053448/

I won't deny that the belief that you have just consumed an energy drink may compound its effects on your body and brain, however I find it incredibly difficult to believe that the human mind is causing more benefit to energy levels than a large amount of sugar, caffeine and whatever else is in Red Bull nowadays.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

There's caffeine in tea. I've been drinking tea since before I can remember. I started smoking at around 15. 

Basically, it's completely normal. It's not a good thing, but it's normal.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

Its abnormal for a teen down here to have not tried caffiene as far as cola or tea or energy drinks. And believe it or not, quite a number of kids in my school not only smoke, but they smoke pot. Unsurprising to me.

This. The tendency nowadays is really to just try everything, unfortunately. Some feel "depressed" and "need" to smoke, others ACTUALLY are depressed and feel the need to just do something about it so they engage in things like that.

As for the OP, no, it's not normal from a health standpoint, but from a social standpoint it unfortunately is ending up being "normal" for some. But I'd say leave that sh*t ASAP.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

lol =))))

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

my older sister drank a lot of energy drinks when she was 14 - before energy drinks she a fitness nut and the tallest in her class. After she started drinking energy drinks (among other things) every day, she's now obese and has not grown an inch since then

JaysonVoorhees
  • JaysonVoorhees

<3 MODified

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:48 PM Edited by JaysonVoorhees, 02 January 2014 - 05:48 PM.

I don't think smoking is a good idea. Doesn't do you any good and the smell makes you understandably repulsive. Regarding caffeine - that's not all so bad, but you should take decent care of your body while you're young, so putting junk into it on a regular basis probably won't do you too many favours in the long run.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

It's not uncommon at all in today's society. I'm drinking caffeinated beverages, so Coca Cola, Red Bull, and the like since I was a little kid. Smoking is also very common with today's youth. According to OECD, 25% of 15 years olds in Austria smoke at least twice per week, and it's getting progressively worse over time.

I would suggest you to stop smoking. It's not only unhealthy but once it becomes a habit for you, it will be hard to stop, and the amount of cigarettes per day will increase, thus becoming increasingly expensive. Believe me, the majority of people I know smoke and over 90% of them say they would stop it if they were able to. They regret that they started with it in the first place.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Do cocaine instead.. might as well.

I started smoking when I was about 12 or 13 then I quit when I was about 21-22.. quitting smoking was the best thing I could have done. Food tasted better, I could breathe better and those morning coughs were finally gone after a couple months.

Řåvęń
  • Řåvęń

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

Leave it before you're addicted cause it ain't gonna do well to your health and won't let you look a macho if you're trying to be one. Or if you're trying to be cool. Seriously just let it go.........

I started smoking when I was about 12 or 13 then I quit when I was about 21-22.. quitting smoking was the best thing I could have done. Food tasted better, I could breathe better and those morning coughs were finally gone after a couple months.

You've actually done a good thing?

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Haven't done you yet, Raven. So not quite.

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Big Homie

• The Connection
  • Finland

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

I am the last person to preach, took my first drunk at the age of 6.

But, smoking is not worth the money and lungs You (may) lost. Luckily I got rid of it quite fast, 7 years.
Of course it started in school, You gotta act tough like the others. But when You´re older it´s not looking as cool anymore...

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Big Homie

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Drinking coffee or soda is normal and most young teenage boys drink sodas like crazy, but being only 14 years old and smoking cigarettes, unless you want to die at 50, is really f*cking stupid. If you care about your life, you should really consider quitting.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:09 PM Edited by Ex Hellraiser, 02 January 2014 - 11:21 PM.

From reading the OP alone, I am going to deduce that you are a spoiled little sh*t who blatantly ignores authority simply because you want to. That sh*t you hear/see every day about lung cancer and emphysema and all that other sh*t you get from smoking is there for a reason. I will never forgive my parents for starting smoking in their teens. They are 55 and 51 now, and both have deteriorated/damaged vertebrae from smoking, severe arthritis, both get bronchitis on a regular basis, and both have very high blood pressure, which gave my mother a stroke. They are only mid-50's; in today's society, people are expected to live into their mid-80's anymore. That is when this sh*t should begin happening, not 30 years sooner. The burden of my parents' bad decisions is being put on me, as I need to do most of the lifting, driving, transporting, shopping, and moving for them, because they can't anymore, on top of having to live in the same smoke and toxins that they create everywhere they go.

Think about your future you little sh*t. Smoking ain't cool, and all it will do is sh*t on you and those close to you. And if you are already doing this sh*t now, god knows what you will be doing in 2-3 years. Not that I care, you are just another anon on the internet, but I know enough of these sh*theads myself, our society doesn't need any more.

I didn't read any other posts, so I'm sure I may be off on a few details.

askinnywhitedildo
  • askinnywhitedildo

I <3 Brian

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

I started coffee and cigarettes at age 14 too. I fully believe that is why I'm only 5 foot 9. sh*t will stop you from growing right. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users