Photo

A free roam without PvP?

222 replies to this topic
StewNorth
  • StewNorth

Let's do it all over again, again.

• Members
  • China

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:03 PM Edited by StewNorth, 01 January 2014 - 08:04 PM.

Well they should:

a. send friend requests

b. get a mic because no one wants no-mic people as their friends

I believe there is a significant portion of the gaming population don't want computer/console friends.

I don't understand. If you don't want to meet/interact with people and don't want to risk being killed...why even play in open freeroam lobbies at all ?

Go play in solo/invite only sessions and give that spot to someone who does want these other things.

Or hell, just go passive the second you see another player get close then turn it off when he's gone so you may carry on with your PvE stuff.

Personally, I accept things as they are, I go by the philosophy of it is what it is.  These points are simply for those who see things differently or are feeling disenfranchised from the system as it stands.  It's myopic from my point of view to banish all players who are desireless for PvP to invite only or solo sessions when there practically infinate ways to play an open world sandbox.

Oh no, I agree with you. I tend to roll with things as they are as well.

I'm simply pointing out that the options to avoid conflict are there already for those that wish to do so. Like I said, you can simply hop in passive the second you see a player coming your way and wait for him to pass if you don't want to take any risks. No need to even change the station.

Even if you have AI aggro, you can just phone up Lester to get rid of them so you aren't stuck getting shot at while being weaponless.

If I engage in PvP and can see the other participant(s) aren't responding the way I want them to, then I will just let them leave the area without hunting them down. Personally, I do think some players really are oversensitive to death, and slightly immature. Worst case scenario they respawn half a block away...big deal.

The game has ben supporting non-consensual PvP since the very start. Why are people trying to expect the game to change to their whims ? Not like I really care in the end, it's their battle not mine.

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

I think it is pretty simple really.

A) make passive mode so that a player cant interact with any other player. You and your vehicle become non-entities. You are fully visible and apear normal in every way including being able to pull and use weapons on peds or police or store owners etc. But you can not inflict any damage to another player nor have damage inflicted by other players. You and your car would just pass right through them.

B) you can only enter passive mode while in your apartment/garage, by pressing y after a death or by a setting change prior to entering online.

C) it stays on at all times until you manually turn it off...including through session changes.

D) you can only exit passive mode in your apartment/garage or by using a setting change before entering online.

E) passive/ nonpassive would be included in the matchmaking one step below crew/friends whenever you are entering a new session making it more likely for similar playstyles to be grouped together.

There have been many suggestions to modify passive mode, these here I believe fall in the ghost category.  Analogy being the player in passive mode is basically a ghost, can't be harmed, can't harm.  I don't endorse it.  As I pointed out earlier, I advocate eradication of passive mode entirely or make it merely an indicator that killing that player invokes substantial consequences, such as bad sports points, five star wanted level, etc. which are shared by the passive mode player if engaged.

StewNorth
  • StewNorth

• Members
  • China

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Passive mode is basically pointless as it leaves you so open to every attack but players gunfire.

Sometimes you just want to play with others but in a non violent way. 

I just don't get why GTA 4 and RDR had friendly lobbies but GTA V does not. 

Passive mode makes sense.

It won't protect you in cars because then you could be free to try to run over players and be immune to damage until you finally manage to kill someone.

It won't protect you from getting run over since the game treats it as environmental damage and thus makes no difference between AI or players running you over (limitation of the game, so we have do deal with that). Maybe that specific aspect could be improved though. I would have no issues with that.

Just go passive, get 1 foot of the ground and enjoy. It's not particularly challenging.

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:09 PM Edited by beat_savy_9, 01 January 2014 - 08:11 PM.

The game has ben supporting non-consensual PvP since the very start. Why are people trying to expect the game to change to their whims ? Not like I really care in the end, it's their battle not mine.

I entirely agree, the ethos of GTA has always been heavily weighted in favor of kill or be killed, but it was the producers decision to include many PvE elements this iteration that attract casual players then throw them to the veteran players who rape them.  If you think about it, it's actually a highly successful troll on their part :)

• StewNorth likes this

am30
  • am30

ugotsmoked's No. 1 fan and winder up of fools

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

I believe in leaving other players alone.  There are better things to do.

GTARACER93
  • GTARACER93

Argumentative

• Members
  • Barbados

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:16 PM Edited by GTARACER93, 01 January 2014 - 08:17 PM.

Passive mode is basically pointless as it leaves you so open to every attack but players gunfire.

It won't protect you in cars because then you could be free to try to run over players and be immune to damage until you finally manage to kill someone.

It won't protect you from getting run over since the game treats it as environmental damage and thus makes no difference between AI or players running you over (limitation of the game, so we have do deal with that). Maybe that specific aspect could be improved though. I would have no issues with that.

Just go passive, get 1 foot of the ground and enjoy. It's not particularly challenging.

Nope it's flawed It was flawed the moment Rockstar decided you could be ran over with it on.

I can fully understand why it's like it is when in a car though. 

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

@Beat_savy_9
You didnt indicate any sort of reasoning for the dislike of the ghost idea. Plus it has additional elements that I believe make it work quite well.

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

I believe in leaving other players alone.  There are better things to do.

it's just a shame production made it difficult for these kinds players to find each other.

@Beat_savy_9
You didnt indicate any sort of reasoning for the dislike of the ghost idea. Plus it has additional elements that I believe make it work quite well.

I don't endorse ghost mode because it's too unrealistic in my opinion, I believe GTA's best and unique feature is it's pseudo realism.

StewNorth
  • StewNorth

• Members
  • China

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:24 PM Edited by StewNorth, 01 January 2014 - 08:26 PM.

Nope it's flawed It was flawed the moment Rockstar decided you could be ran over with it on.

Its only flaw is getting run over, which could use some work as I already agreed/explained in the post you quoted. Apart from that, it does its job pretty well. Finding somewhere to perch on for a bit isn't particularly difficult, so it's only a minor flaw.

@Beat_savy_9

I would support an idea like that if you were restricted from driving cars. You can still be a passenger, but no driving yourself so you can't score free kills by running people over while still being immune to damage.

Just don't make them transparent, that would look lame.

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:28 PM Edited by beat_savy_9, 01 January 2014 - 08:28 PM.

The way it is now, and I agree, it's more of a troll on the passive user then the passive hunter.

• GTARACER93 likes this

GTARACER93
  • GTARACER93

Argumentative

• Members
  • Barbados

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Its only flaw is getting run over, which could use some work as I already agreed/explained in the post you quoted. Apart from that, it does its job pretty well. Finding somewhere to perch on for a bit isn't particularly difficult, so it's only a minor flaw.

@Beat_savy_9

I would support an idea like that if you were restricted from driving cars. You can still be a passenger, but no driving yourself so you can't score free kills by running people over while still being immune to damage.

Just don't make them transparent, that would look lame.

It's a pretty big flaw for something that is meant to allow people to explore on foot without being bothered by other players. 

Agreed though It's fine other than that. 

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

@Stewnorth

I did indicate that the car would also become passive. You and your car would pass right through any other player. If you really look at the details of what i propose rather than assuming it is the same as other things other people have sUggested.

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

I keep hearing people writing that they want this, or at the very least a map that is mostly PvP free with a few small areas where PvP is allowed. I don't get it, Why don't you just go to an invite only? What would having other players in a session add to your game if it isn't the constant threat of violence. What do you want from random encounters with other players? Describe what your ideal free roam free of PvP action would be like.

You're starting to get annoying. What the f*ck is your problem? You look like a little kid trying to convince his parent that you deserve to be bought a bike even though you got bad grades the past 2 years.

Stop.Making.The.Same.Useless.Threads.Over.And.Over.Again.

Ibareny, you know you don't have to read his/her posts. Sounds like you're the one getting annoyed. Keep it light, right? Cheers! ;)

AnimusMalice
  • AnimusMalice

Kingpin

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

I believe that this is a great idea, truth is most players do have an honest great time when they are just screwing around in GTAO; it's tough not to. I'll speak for most players when I say PvP is still something that is loads of fun, but it depends on which side of the fight you're on. I have fun going 1v1 or 2v2 with some randoms; but getting spawn killed is what ruins it. I believe a spawn protection system could be put in place that would help; but it would be tough to work out all of the flaws. Maybe a temporary ghosting mode when you respawn, tanks could drive right through you and not kill you, but then that would still leave the problem of people abusing the ghosting protection. Friendly free roam is a wonderful idea, but it's a temporary fix for a consistent issue. Separating the PvP from servers will leave games full of people doing ANYTHING to screw with each other, taking off friendly damage doesn't disable the rest of the things people can do. I believe in a better GTAO, hopefully R* will step up their communication to players (Plenty of responses now, but they are all generic R* responses) and we can all play in a better GTAO.

P.S. They should really consider the ghosting protection system, because a lot of the flaws can be worked out. (i.e. Disabling you from shooting your gun while in ghosted mode)

StewNorth
  • StewNorth

• Members
  • China

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:44 PM Edited by StewNorth, 01 January 2014 - 09:45 PM.

@Stewnorth

I did indicate that the car would also become passive. You and your car would pass right through any other player. If you really look at the details of what i propose rather than assuming it is the same as other things other people have sUggested.

I will admit I missed that detail :p

Guess it could work, would look strange if you juxtaposed players but that's hardly the point.

Personally I can deal with the current system, now that it's free it's not penalising in any way to use passive. However if Rockstar was to implement an idea like yours, then I would happily roll with it as well.

While I don't think there are any chances of such a change happening (no idea how much ressource R* would need to pull to rewrite passive mode as well as the way certain types of damage are processed by the AI), it certainly doesn't hurt anyone thinking about it.

gtarmanrob
  • gtarmanrob

Aussie Made

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:24 PM Edited by gtarmanrob, 01 January 2014 - 10:24 PM.

im all for a friendly free roam, as an option not a standard. means being able to interact with other players without the need to watch your back. its like joining an invite only server, only you join with other people who's sole intention might be missions or fighting cops.

used to be awesome in GTAIV, when you could turn friendly fire off. at one point I think there were 6 of us running around fighting the law, some of the best fun I've had online.

with all the cyring and whinging about cheaters and hackers and god mode and whatever at the moment, I'm surprised more people arnt crying out BEGGING for this to be implemented.

SaturdayNight
  • SaturdayNight

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

This is the dumbest Idea I have ever heard, thats why passive mode is available. the reason it is the way it is is because thats how it should be. 

"yes lets go to danger area where its a battleground and then lets go to the happy area where everyone is nice" 

Segregation is a poor choice for gaming and you want it to be a regulated, segregated instanced area... f*cking retarded. 

PerceusSOZ
  • PerceusSOZ

gtaforumsmods.freeforums.net

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

I keep hearing people writing that they want this, or at the very least a map that is mostly PvP free with a few small areas where PvP is allowed. I don't get it, Why don't you just go to an invite only? What would having other players in a session add to your game if it isn't the constant threat of violence. What do you want from random encounters with other players? Describe what your ideal free roam free of PvP action would be like.

Are you done with your rants about people hating on PVP yet? GTA is an open-world RPG, and a very large chunk of the people, myself included, are not bloodthirsty killers like yourself. We prefer a different kind of fun that doesn't involve killing one another. If you wanna go kill people in third person go play Mass Effect or something.
  • Yogogamer likes this

StewNorth
  • StewNorth

• Members
  • China

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

I still think the players without a mic talking about interacting and being friendly are still chatting utter bollocks, but it's their right to voice their bollocky opinion.

How the hell are you going to be friendly and establish rapport when all you can do is wank or give me the finger...you know what ? Nevermind. Moan away. It is your constitutional right afterall.

gtarmanrob
  • gtarmanrob

Aussie Made

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

This is the dumbest Idea I have ever heard, thats why passive mode is available. the reason it is the way it is is because thats how it should be. 

"yes lets go to danger area where its a battleground and then lets go to the happy area where everyone is nice" 

Segregation is a poor choice for gaming and you want it to be a regulated, segregated instanced area... f*cking retarded.

You really don't understand the concept do you? Or even know what you're talking about. Allow me to correct you:

passive mode is only available on foot, you can't shoot at anything. And you're also open to be run over etc. You know this, it was a terrible point to bring up.

Also, as with gta4, there could be an option to join a friendly fire off server. It's not a "segregated area".. How the f*ck did you come up with that? It's a server side setting. So if you got tired of the constant battles and wars, you could join a server where players can't kill each other, just eveything else. It basically promotes co-op gameplay without any chance of griefing.

1 - how is that so hard to understand?

2 - why the hell isn't that a feature now?

It would have absolutely NO affect on the current community or the game in general, it's like people playing invite only now, only instead of having to invite friendly gamers, the lobby is open.

The only reason it's not implemented is because is actually makes sense.
  • GTARACER93 likes this

dlow
  • dlow

Just an Old Man

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

I would Opt in for  Hardcore PvP servers and Passive Servers ...just pick your option when going online,  I now play both invite only and open lobbies, depending on what i want to do, If i want the fun of Kill or be killed i go open lobby, if i want the fun of exploring and waging war with the locals i go invite only ... The biggest problem i have found in invite only is meeting other people,

I read on these forums while in open lobbies ways to announce your intentions if friendly was to honk the horn when approaching another player, or do a wave ...and even better yet was to announce on your mic you were friendly...........well i have found this to be BULLsh*t 99.9% of the time, because it seems to render a death sentence ...

I agree Passive mode as it is now is stupid, i have had players using passive mode run over and Kill me while i was on foot, and i have killed passive mode player while they were driving.....

If Rockstar does not want to have two servers or modes then change passive mode to redirect any damage that was being inflected upon a passive mode player back to the aggressor  ...you shoot me while in i am in passive mode YOU take the damage, the same applies to players in passive mode, if they run over a non passive mode player they take the damage

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

...If Rockstar does not want to have two servers or modes then change passive mode to redirect any damage that was being inflected upon a passive mode player back to the aggressor  ...you shoot me while in i am in passive mode YOU take the damage, the same applies to players in passive mode, if they run over a non passive mode player they take the damage

I like it, but I would rather a more realistic implementation of this instant karma idea.  Passive mode players are not immune to bullets, damage or anything, they can use weapons, kill, everything, just like all players however, they have an indicator revealing they are in passive mode.  If a player intentionally murders them, runs them down, blows them up, etc. that player faces severe consequences, for example, instant five star wanted level that does not fade until the player is dead, or more Draconian, high level of bad sports points.  To be fair, if the passive mode player behaves aggressively, they also will suffer the same repercussions.

Yogogamer
  • Yogogamer

Cyber Multiculturalist

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

I still think the players without a mic talking about interacting and being friendly are still chatting utter bollocks, but it's their right to voice their bollocky opinion.

How the hell are you going to be friendly and establish rapport when all you can do is wank or give me the finger...you know what ? Nevermind. Moan away. It is your constitutional right afterall.

Maybe people don't like talking on the mic? Did you ever think about that? Or do you pull all this garbage from your rear end?

PerceusSOZ
  • PerceusSOZ

gtaforumsmods.freeforums.net

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

...If Rockstar does not want to have two servers or modes then change passive mode to redirect any damage that was being inflected upon a passive mode player back to the aggressor  ...you shoot me while in i am in passive mode YOU take the damage, the same applies to players in passive mode, if they run over a non passive mode player they take the damage

I like it, but I would rather a more realistic implementation of this instant karma idea.  Passive mode players are not immune to bullets, damage or anything, they can use weapons, kill, everything, just like all players however, they have an indicator revealing they are in passive mode.  If a player intentionally murders them, runs them down, blows them up, etc. that player faces severe consequences, for example, instant five star wanted level that does not fade until the player is dead, or more Draconian, high level of bad sports points.  To be fair, if the passive mode player behaves aggressively, they also will suffer the same repercussions.
IMO Passive Mode should just be a mix of the God Mode Mods from Tunables, and the old God Mode Glitch, where you could kill NPCs but not players, and other players couldn't shoot you.

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

IMO Passive Mode should just be a mix of the God Mode Mods from Tunables, and the old God Mode Glitch, where you could kill NPCs but not players, and other players couldn't shoot you.

I understand the desire here, but I only object as it would detract from the pseudo realism the game strives to deliver.

dlow
  • dlow

Just an Old Man

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

That would help, but i do think one flaw in the Karma idea is this.......Both you and i are playing in regular NON Passive mode, I start a fight with you then wait for you to react to my actions by fighting back......I quickly switch to passive mode and allow you to kill me...boom you get a penalty...

HOWEVER i do like your idea if a player had to choose passive mode or not, when entering GTA Online, once the choice was made the only way to change would be to back out of online play and re-enter

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

That would help, but i do think one flaw in the Karma idea is this.......Both you and i are playing in regular NON Passive mode, I start a fight with you then wait for you to react to my actions by fighting back......I quickly switch to passive mode and allow you to kill me...boom you get a penalty...

HOWEVER i do like your idea if a player had to choose passive mode or not, when entering GTA Online, once the choice was made the only way to change would be to back out of online play and re-enter

That's fair, on or off, no switching mid stream to game the system.  Now call your friends in production and make it happen :)

dlow
  • dlow

Just an Old Man

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

That's fair, on or off, no switching mid stream to game the system.  Now call your friends in production and make it happen :)

LOL I wish i could

• beat_savy_9 likes this

mrmarcd
  • mrmarcd

Prankster

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:48 PM Edited by mrmarcd, 02 January 2014 - 01:50 PM.

I stay in passive mode, and call 911 for the police every time someone is giving me trouble. Makes for some funny situations. Almost like having mercenaries, just with a shorter cooldown, and you can use it in passive mode!

• beat_savy_9 likes this

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

I stay in passive mode, and call 911 for the police every time someone is giving me trouble. Makes for some funny situations. Almost like having mercenaries, just with a shorter cooldown, and you can use it in passive mode!

Not in passive mode, but I tried this technique, I always get the doughnut stuffed duty officer who puts me on hold, when I finally get threw, it's usually when the wasted banner is flashing across my screen. Damn Santos cops are so corrupt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users